PDA

View Full Version : New iPhone / iPad App

sam4022
10-04-2013, 04:32 AM
Due to my interest in racing coupled with 30 plus years in design & implementation of large-scale computer systems I developed the following handicapping products:

· The Edge of Class was published in 1975 to determine Average Purse Value from a printed table as back then even basic calculators were quite expensive (the programmable ones were several hundred dollars). I also obtained a US patent for an APV Calculator based on the formula presented in the book.

· The Thoroughbred Information Processing Systems (T.I.P.S.) developed in the late 1970s /early 80s for the new miracle home PCs (some even had 8K of memory). The system was well received and reviewed by the Gambler’s Book Club’s Systems & Methods publication Volume 8 by Huey Maul/Howard Schwartz.

· Pace in Thoroughbred Sprints in the late 80s was quite possibly the first publication to employ a running length of 10 feet to assist in the calculation of pace in feet-per-second.

· Sprints Only Sprints (SOS) in the late 90s which several PA members currently employ, deals only with sprints and the simple weighting of prominent winner factors compiled from over 10,000 races (actually 10,111 races).

Two (2) factors I always consider are:

1. Earnings …… if a horse isn’t making money for his owner chances are he won’t make money for you.

2. Sensible selection of races is paramount, as Dirty Harry would say, “a man has got to know his limitations”. Also, there is not and never will be a one size fits all method of successful handicapping.

This new iPad / iPhone App (Purse Level) is presented as a tool for use in the calculation of Average Purse Value requiring the current year input of Starts, Wins, 2nds, 3rds, 4ths and Earnings. The app will produce each entry’s APV, Earnings per Start and percent Wins and ITM. The result may be stored and presented in a list sorted by APV or EPS for all race entries or those determined to be contenders. It’s sometimes an eye opener when entries are seen in a complete sorted list.

There is no requirement that you must buy Purse Level as the Supreme Court has yet to rule but I understand Justice Edwards is a horseplayer. It’s cheaper ($2.99) and guaranteed easier to access and use than the Affordable Care Act (Obama Care) so why not give it a try?

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/purse-level/id689603440?mt=8

Send questions and/or comments to mspincorp@verizon.net

sam4022
10-04-2013, 09:58 AM
If you are using the Firefox browser consider changing as a problem with reading and executing URL links exists.

upthecreek
10-04-2013, 10:06 AM
Due to my interest in racing coupled with 30 plus years in design & implementation of large-scale computer systems I developed the following handicapping products:

· The Edge of Class was published in 1975 to determine Average Purse Value from a printed table as back then even basic calculators were quite expensive (the programmable ones were several hundred dollars). I also obtained a US patent for an APV Calculator based on the formula presented in the book.

· The Thoroughbred Information Processing Systems (T.I.P.S.) developed in the late 1970s /early 80s for the new miracle home PCs (some even had 8K of memory). The system was well received and reviewed by the Gambler’s Book Club’s Systems & Methods publication Volume 8 by Huey Maul/Howard Schwartz.

· Pace in Thoroughbred Sprints in the late 80s was quite possibly the first publication to employ a running length of 10 feet to assist in the calculation of pace in feet-per-second.

· Sprints Only Sprints (SOS) in the late 90s which several PA members currently employ, deals only with sprints and the simple weighting of prominent winner factors compiled from over 10,000 races (actually 10,111 races).

Two (2) factors I always consider are:

1. Earnings …… if a horse isn’t making money for his owner chances are he won’t make money for you.

2. Sensible selection of races is paramount, as Dirty Harry would say, “a man has got to know his limitations”. Also, there is not and never will be a one size fits all method of successful handicapping.

This new iPad / iPhone App (Purse Level) is presented as a tool for use in the calculation of Average Purse Value requiring the current year input of Starts, Wins, 2nds, 3rds, 4ths and Earnings. The app will produce each entry’s APV, Earnings per Start and percent Wins and ITM. The result may be stored and presented in a list sorted by APV or EPS for all race entries or those determined to be contenders. It’s sometimes an eye opener when entries are seen in a complete sorted list.

There is no requirement that you must buy Purse Level as the Supreme Court has yet to rule but I understand Justice Edwards is a horseplayer. It’s cheaper ($2.99) and guaranteed easier to access and use than the Affordable Care Act (Obama Care) so why not give it a try?

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/purse-level/id689603440?mt=8

Send questions and/or comments to mspincorp@verizon.net

Any plans for an android version? I have an android tablet and would be interested

sam4022
10-04-2013, 10:41 AM
We are considering Android but as it has quite a different support requirement (it needs a Database) a decision will be made in several weeks depending how the Apple versions fare.

Thanks for your interest.

DeltaLover
10-04-2013, 10:57 AM
What makes you to believe that earnings per start or any other related factor based on them, can provide a significant signal for the creation of a profitable model?

I am asking because all my research leads me to believe that although earnings might be significant as far as the final outcome of the race goes, still the crowd is doing a good job incorporating them to the final odds to the point to neutralize them as a betting factor.

It would be interesting to talk to us more about your approach, presenting some data and the way you are approaching them.

sam4022
10-04-2013, 12:18 PM
What makes you to believe that earnings per start or any other related factor based on them, can provide a significant signal for the creation of a profitable model?

I am asking because all my research leads me to believe that although earnings might be significant as far as the final outcome of the race goes, still the crowd is doing a good job incorporating them to the final odds to the point to neutralize them as a betting factor.

It would be interesting to talk to us more about your approach, presenting some data and the way you are approaching them.
-----------
I'm sure your data is accurate but I'm also sure that someone else has or will reach a different conclusion using the same data. After many years and tens of thousands of races I'm beyond discussing or attempting to prove or disprove any handicapping component.

The intent here is to present an honest accurate and reasonable method of calculation and not to convert or convince anyone to use APV. Thanks and best of luck.

DeltaLover
10-04-2013, 12:26 PM
-----------
I'm sure your data is accurate but I'm also sure that someone else has or will reach a different conclusion using the same data. After many years and tens of thousands of races I'm beyond discussing or attempting to prove or disprove any handicapping component.

The intent here is to present an honest accurate and reasonable method of calculation and not to convert or convince anyone to use APV. Thanks and best of luck.

What I am asking here is exactly about this different conclusion and more importantly the methodology that leads to it.

How accurate or reasonable a method of calculation is, is not of any help unless we can claim that it adds value to our final decision.

I did not say that you try to convert anyone, but you still present a handicapping tool so I think it is reasonable to ask why and how it should be used.

sam4022
10-04-2013, 12:44 PM
What I am asking here is exactly about this different conclusion and more importantly the methodology that leads to it.

How accurate of reasonable a method of calculation is not of any help unless we can claim that it adds value to our final decision.

I did not say that you try to convert anyone, but you still present a handicapping tool so I think it is reasonable to ask why it can be used and how it should be used.
-------------
Please understand this is a tool to use should you employ APV in your selection method, if not, you don't need it. I can't tell you how to use it any more than I would tell you a screwdriver is only good for pine not maple.

Harmonicaslim
10-06-2013, 03:13 PM
Put it on my iPad a few days ago. Nice little program, especially for $2.99.

Overlay
10-06-2013, 04:14 PM

If a model (especially a multi-factor model) were to produce an accurate projection as to what the true probability of winning would be for each horse in a race field, would it really matter whether the public was already incorporating those factors into its evaluation or not? To render such a model useless from a handicapping standpoint, wouldn't the public (despite its established aggregate, long-term comprehensiveness and efficiency) have to be 100% correct about the chances of every horse in every race (that is, never send any horse off as either an underlay or an overlay)? I doubt that we would ever see that level of precision.