PDA

View Full Version : Day late, dollar short.....again

Tom
10-02-2013, 08:15 PM
DRF's answer to the much better TimeFormUS is to raise prices and stop free articles. That should get them flocking to DRF.com :lol:

I just cancelled my DRF+ subscription because they substitute the informative weekly articles I enjoyed with tons of article of no great information. Quantity has surpassed quality at DRF.

Buh bye.

Al Gobbi
10-02-2013, 08:18 PM
even better the content is suppose to be free for those with DRF Bets accounts, but no access is available (at least for now).

Hoofless_Wonder
10-02-2013, 11:05 PM
I get the impression that whomever is running the DRF as a business is not a horseplayer, owner, trainer, jockey or anyone else even remotely connected to the sport.

At it's height (for me) back in the 1980s, only about 20 percent of the content other than the PPs was ever interesting. From what I can tell from recent purchases, that percentage isn't climbing, and the free content online isn't worth much except for entries and results. With the exception of the Breeder's Cup preview editions and a single great April Fool's edition back in the 1980s, the DRF has simply been an expensive rag.

At least they don't post the head shots of horses when they die anymore - like you're were going to recognize them. That always cracked me up.... :D

JustRalph
10-03-2013, 12:43 AM
At least they don't post the head shots of horses when they die anymore - like you're were going to recognize them. That always cracked me up.... :D

That's funny.......never thought of it that way

I could probably recognize one........current horse.........can you?

letswastemoney
10-03-2013, 01:10 AM
Here is the Twitter for the president of DRF Digital.

https://twitter.com/toddunger

He doesn't seem to update it very often.

Al Gobbi
10-03-2013, 01:18 AM
DRF Plus press release:

http://www.drf.com/news/press-release-daily-racing-form-launches-%E2%80%9Cdrf-plus%E2%80%9D-drfcom%E2%80%99s-new-premium-digital-service?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

JustRalph
10-03-2013, 01:45 AM
Here is the Twitter for the president of DRF Digital.

https://twitter.com/toddunger

He doesn't seem to update it very often.

I don't think he is using that account? Hasn't tweeted much and none for months........?

Robert Fischer
10-03-2013, 02:46 AM
I love the TFUS, time form US.
Really a clean easy to use presentation, and quality figs. The pace figures that TFUS uses are just about the best available. I'm getting to the point where I can use Pace Projector and it takes about 5 seconds to get an idea about the race.

I also really really love DRF. I grew up reading The Form over the shoulder, and across the table from my father.

Stillriledup
10-03-2013, 05:03 AM
I get the impression that whomever is running the DRF as a business is not a horseplayer, owner, trainer, jockey or anyone else even remotely connected to the sport.

At it's height (for me) back in the 1980s, only about 20 percent of the content other than the PPs was ever interesting. From what I can tell from recent purchases, that percentage isn't climbing, and the free content online isn't worth much except for entries and results. With the exception of the Breeder's Cup preview editions and a single great April Fool's edition back in the 1980s, the DRF has simply been an expensive rag.

You gotta love a person who just wants past performances ends up directly or indirectly paying the salary of writers who are going thru the motions, not rocking the boat and not jeopardizing their free doughnuts and coffee they get in the press box.

PaceAdvantage
10-03-2013, 08:31 AM
You gotta love a person who just wants past performances ends up directly or indirectly paying the salary of writers who are going thru the motions, not rocking the boat and not jeopardizing their free doughnuts and coffee they get in the press box.Nice idiotic broad sweeping generalization. I hope they drop coverage of SRU immediately...

GMB@BP
10-03-2013, 10:01 AM
Nice idiotic broad sweeping generalization. I hope they drop coverage of SRU immediately...

It was a generalization I agree but there is some truth to the statements, this definitely is an "insider" industry more so than most.

I hope it works out for DRF, obviously this is a last ditch effort to save the news portion of their model. I cant see paying something that you can find for free but my opinion may be in the minority.

SandyLoam
10-03-2013, 12:15 PM
You gotta love a person who just wants past performances ends up directly or indirectly paying the salary of writers who are going thru the motions, not rocking the boat and not jeopardizing their free doughnuts and coffee they get in the press box.

Truer words were never spoken. PACEADVANTAGE, he's right. DRF is more formulaic than a Law & Order episode. It is also a big conflict of interest with the betting portal. I've had it out with a few DRF people and they have no clue. They truly believe they are journalists.

PaceAdvantage
10-03-2013, 12:21 PM
I stand corrected after all of this expert testimony... :rolleyes:

Dave Schwartz
10-03-2013, 12:30 PM
Truer words were never spoken. PACEADVANTAGE, he's right. DRF is more formulaic than a Law & Order episode. It is also a big conflict of interest with the betting portal. I've had it out with a few DRF people and they have no clue. They truly believe they are journalists.

Wait... Law and Order is formulaic?

:lol:

Goren!!!!

jballscalls
10-03-2013, 01:25 PM

what do you mean "you've had it out with a few DRF people?

would love to hear what the interaction and situation was

Hoofless_Wonder
10-04-2013, 06:24 AM
That's funny.......never thought of it that way

I could probably recognize one........current horse.........can you?

Nope. Mr Ed? Mr Ed's lead pony?

At least the picture you've got it in color, as opposed to the grainy black & white prints in the DRF.

Can you name this horse?

a. Citation
b. Whirlaway
c. War Admiral
d. Man of War
e. War Emblem
f. War Chant

JustRalph
10-04-2013, 07:08 AM
Nope. Mr Ed? Mr Ed's lead pony?

At least the picture you've got it in color, as opposed to the grainy black & white prints in the DRF.

Can you name this horse?

a. Citation
b. Whirlaway
c. War Admiral
d. Man of War
e. War Emblem
f. War Chant

I have no idea. The one I posted is "Will take Charge". Can't miss that paint job on his face. It glows when they hit him with a thousand volts

Hoofless_Wonder
10-04-2013, 07:14 AM
Ah, Will Take (A) Charge, indeed. :D

The B&W horse is Man of War, or at least I found that pic on the web under "Man of War" images. Could be Mr Ed, or Mr Ed's lead pony. Who knows? Which was sort of my point....

Tom
10-04-2013, 09:19 PM
How about this one......it's the guy who designed the DRF website.
DRF+ was 4 or 5 nice article, all in one spot...now, you have to search 10+ pages of crap to find anything, I still haven't found what I wanted.
10/17 my sub runs out....can't come soon enough for me.

NJ Stinks
10-04-2013, 10:25 PM
I bought Saturday's DRF National Simulcast Edition. Cost me $8.50 because the retailer bumped up the price 50 cents. The paper has PP's for the following tracks:

Belmont
Monmouth
Keeneland
Santa Anita
Delaware
Parx
Laurel
Woodbine
Gulfstream

That's less than a buck a track. Plus, tomorrow's paper has the PP's of the Indiana Downs All-Stakes Pick 4. I agree that the DRF is never going to have an editorial section that can compare with the Racing Post but there is no way tomorrow's paper is anything but a great deal IMO.

Tom
10-05-2013, 03:45 PM
If you buy one track on line it is $2.95.

Good marketing plan - make your more expensive product the better price.