PDA

View Full Version : Rating tracks by purse

kenwoodallpromos
03-14-2004, 11:27 PM
If I wanted to rate tracks by purse or claim amount, does anyone have a idea how best to rank them? Like by highest MSW, purse for grade 3's, or claiming race; or lowest claiming price? I am really looking more for grouping or bracket amounts, especially on the lower class tracks. Thanks.

Buddha
03-14-2004, 11:52 PM
I think nowadays it can't be done. Especially with slots. Charles Town has a MSW purse somewhere in the neighborhood of $25k, and $2500 claimers running for tags near $11K. Meanwhile Santa Anita $10,000 claimers are only running for $14k, and MSW for around $44k. I know there is a bigger difference in the quality of horses than there is with hte purse difference. I just don't think that you can compare tracks via the purse. You can maybe get an idea, but to use is as an actual difference in and by itself would be foolish.

kenwoodallpromos
03-15-2004, 12:23 AM
OK, can you suggest the best way to seperate classes of tracks?

Speed Figure
03-15-2004, 12:25 AM
Mountaineer Derby G3 $600,000!!:eek: :eek:. The Delta Jackpot is $1,000,000!!:eek: :eek: :eek:. I think that's why the BC Juvenile is now $1,500,000.

Zaf
03-15-2004, 01:18 AM
Is the Delta Jackpot a graded stakes race ? When is it run ?

ZAFONIC

Speed Figure
03-15-2004, 01:27 AM
It's non graded, and it's in the 1st week of DEC.

Brian Flewwelling
03-15-2004, 03:33 AM
Originally posted by kenwoodallpromos
If I wanted to rate tracks by purse or claim amount, does anyone have a idea how best to rank them? Like by highest MSW, purse for grade 3's, or claiming race; or lowest claiming price? I am really looking more for grouping or bracket amounts, especially on the lower class tracks. Thanks.

What is the point of ranking the tracks? Are you trying to rate shippers?

Brian

JustRalph
03-15-2004, 04:00 AM
Originally posted by zafonic

ZAFONIC

The Jackpot is the second-richest race in North America for 2-year-olds behind the Breeders' Cup Juvenile.

I think it was December 4th last year. Big time race down south. Shippers came from Canada this year.

Info from Bloodhorse (http://news.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=19512)

BillW
03-15-2004, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by zafonic

ZAFONIC

Zaf,

I believe that a race has to have a 3 year history (and probably a bit of politics behind it) before being graded. The purse of this race is the size of a meet long purse fund before slots (bit of exageration :)). I believe last year was first year.

Bill

kenwoodallpromos
03-15-2004, 01:07 PM
Shippers is the biggest reason; I'm thinking some tracks on the same circuit may not be equal quality always; Maybe works at some tracks are not as meaningful; maybe I can better evaluate trainers from track to track; maybe some stallion's offspring do better on certain kinds of tracks. What about turf courses? I would like to study how various turf courses' layout and configuration affect certain horse's chances?

JackS
03-15-2004, 02:51 PM
Ken- Par times for older horses (4up) is what you must have. All horses coming into your home track can easily be rated. You can produce your own pars using the DRF if you like, or you can buy par charts from various vendors. A 10k pace and final time par can have very wide differences from track to track. If you have a collection of old Racing Forms you can make an abreviated par time chart for a lower claiming bracket to include several tracks that are of interest to you. In the interest of time, do not bother making charts for various claiming classes. A seperate par chart can also be made for NW's and Stks if you wish.

Tom
03-15-2004, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by kenwoodallpromos

DRF publishes on occasion a list of all tracks with a numerical rating based on purses. trhe spread of the numbers is quite large, so what I used to do was split the tracks into 10 classes and score them1-10 based on the DRF rating. Worked good enough. I used it just the way Pace Makes the Race described to make class adjustments.
With HTR data available now, Idon't do this anymore. I actually print out a report that telss me how many shippers come into a track and how they perform, andin waht calss levels. Also, who the trainers are. If you have a specific question about a track, I could run you a report to look at.

BillW
03-15-2004, 07:53 PM
http://www.americanturf.com/equalization/index.cfm

I don't endorse it, just know of its existance.

Bill

Zaf
03-15-2004, 10:51 PM
On Sunday CT had a $2500 Open Claiming race with a purse of $13,100. Where do I sign up :p

ZAFONIC