PDA

View Full Version : Tom Clancy R. I. P.

DJofSD
10-02-2013, 11:45 AM
Reported on Twitter, just a few minutes ago.

So many good stories both in print and on the screen. I'll certainly miss his genius.

Let's Roll
10-02-2013, 03:00 PM
Sorry to hear of his passing. He was a great story teller, I always enjoyed his writing. One of his books was an inspiration to take up sound engineering as a hobby.
RIP

cj's dad
10-02-2013, 04:28 PM
He was a very interesting man. I knew his climo driver Tom. Tom Clancy lived in an estate on the Severn River near Annapolis. TC used Tom's limo service frequently. One particular afternoon several years back, hanging out in the Cross St. Market oyster bar, Tom and Tom stopped in to surprise the gang. He was a very nice person who was just like one of the boys. He will be missed by all.

hcap
10-03-2013, 05:06 AM
http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2013/10/02/the_hunt_for_red_october_movie_revealed_classified _information_about_u_s.html

How the Hunt for Red October Movie Revealed Classified Information About U.S. Submarines.

....At one point in the book we learn that the Red October uses “a highly sensitive device called a gradiometer, essentially two large lead weights separated by a space of one hundred yards. A laser-computer system measured the space between the weights down to a fraction of an angstrom. Distortion of that distance or lateral movement of the weights indicated variations in the local gravitational field,” the book explains. “With careful use of gravitometers in the ship’s inertial navigation system,” Ramius “could plot the vessel’s location to within a hundred meters.”

BlueShoe
10-03-2013, 07:27 PM
Then Navy Secretary John Lehman was reputed to have been absolutely livid over the amount of information divulged in Red October and a bit later, Red Storm Rising. He was said to have remarked about Clancy, "How the hell did he get all that information?"

hcap
10-03-2013, 07:33 PM
The technology, especially almost 30 years ago is fascinating. I read something about a then navel agency connected to subs wanted to popularize their service and importance.

The leak at the time was ignored.

Clocker
10-03-2013, 07:53 PM
Then Navy Secretary John Lehman was reputed to have been absolutely livid over the amount of information divulged in Red October and a bit later, Red Storm Rising. He was said to have remarked about Clancy, "How the hell did he get all that information?"

He got it from Bond, Larry Bond.

Larry Bond is the uncredited co-author of Red Storm, and probably helped with October. Bond served in the Navy, and as an Intelligence Officer in the reserves. After that he worked as a naval analyst for defense consulting firms in the Washington area.

BlueShoe
10-03-2013, 08:49 PM
When I was in the Navy I had a secret security clearance, and ASW was a large part of my work. In Red Storm Rising I learned a few things that I had not known while on active duty, and that impressed me. At the time, could certainly understand Lehman's concern.