Stillriledup
10-02-2013, 03:40 AM
Bucky. Freaking. Dent!

Oct 2, 1978.

35 years ago today.

:ThmbUp:

burnsy
10-02-2013, 07:56 AM
I was going to post that one in the "greatest sports moments" thread. I think he broke his bat and Mickey Rivers gave him one of his.......the next pitch went over the green monster. I think he had about 3 home runs that season up until then.

PhantomOnTour
10-02-2013, 09:29 AM
You know the Yankees aren't doing well when their fans are looking backward instead of forward.
This last week has been nostalgia central from you guys.

burnsy
10-02-2013, 10:41 AM
We have not been doing well for a couple years. Last year the playoffs were a disaster.....next year could be even worse. Thats sports though, i'm not going to bail when my team stinks. Nobody wins all the time, what would be the point of playing? A true fan sticks by their team....win or lose. I can attest to that because i have been a Buffalo Bills fan for 23 years...we have not made the playoffs in 13 years. Thats a fan, and that place is great when you go to a Bills game! Not happy that we lose alot but i still have a blast. You win some, you lose some...of course its even more fun when you win more....but thats life. For me, its actually easier for me to route for my team when they are an underdog........i hate chalk and out of all of my favorite teams, the Yankees are the chalkiest. When they do come back it will be even sweeter. Some fans wait a lifetime...thats the truest fan of them all. Luckily, i have not been tested to that extent.

RunForTheRoses
10-02-2013, 11:30 AM
Those were the days:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shTqUztrAd0

Although, for some reason I thought it was, the final NYY run, it was not, but just a big surprise Bucky hit a homer. With Mickey Rivers bat lol.

RunForTheRoses
10-02-2013, 11:31 AM
You know the Yankees aren't doing well when their fans are looking backward instead of forward.

Lots of nostalgia to look back to.

Stillriledup
10-02-2013, 01:49 PM

You can't win every year, so, when you lose, you look back and remember the good times.

Dave Schwartz
10-02-2013, 02:52 PM
Bucky and I were once very good friends. We spent the better part of 2 summers going to the beach on my motorcycle as kids. (We went to school together until 11th grade when he moved to Hialeah.) After hitting that homerun he changed for several years. Eventually we repatriated and he became "the old Bucky" again.

I had actually hoped to connect with him while in Florida for a reunion last weekend but it never happened. I guess I am too far down the list for some reason.

Stillriledup
10-02-2013, 03:17 PM
Bucky and I were once very good friends. We spent the better part of 2 summers going to the beach on my motorcycle as kids. (We went to school together until 11th grade when he moved to Hialeah.) After hitting that homerun he changed for several years. Eventually we repatriated and he became "the old Bucky" again.

I had actually hoped to connect with him while in Florida for a reunion last weekend but it never happened. I guess I am too far down the list for some reason.

I met Bucky one time at a restaurant when i was very young with my family, he was pretty nice to my mom and signed some stuff for us, i dont remember if this was before or after his heroic at bat in 1978 or not, but he couldnt have been nicer.

Dave Schwartz
10-02-2013, 06:58 PM
I agree. I have a son who just loved him.

Zydeco
10-02-2013, 07:05 PM
You can't win every year, so, when you lose, you look back and remember the good times.

How many people does it take to change a light bulb at Yankee Stadium? one...and 3 to stand around and talk about how good the old one was! lol......insert teams and stadiums to make it fit for you. First heard this as a Green Bay Packer joke.

JustRalph
10-02-2013, 09:40 PM

This is what I love about this board. Great stuff Dave.

I spent an afternoon in a restaurant bar with Bucky about 2 miles from Columbus Clippers Stadium when he was the manager. He told us he was just filling in. Only be there one season. He also told us how much he hated the Reds. I think he stayed 4 yrs with the Clippers and left to coach the Reds :lol:

TJDave
10-02-2013, 09:58 PM
Bucky and I were once very good friends.

Is that what you called him?

Robert Goren
10-02-2013, 11:32 PM
I never knew that Dent's middle name was "freaking". I have always heard it was something else.:rolleyes:

PhantomOnTour
10-02-2013, 11:49 PM
How many people does it take to change a light bulb at Yankee Stadium? one...and 3 to stand around and talk about how good the old one was! lol......insert teams and stadiums to make it fit for you. First heard this as a Green Bay Packer joke.
How many Bama fans does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
All of them - one to screw it in and the rest to tell him how the Bear woulda done it !

Stillriledup
10-03-2013, 05:04 AM
I never knew that Dent's middle name was "freaking". I have always heard it was something else.:rolleyes:

I censored if for you, wasnt that nice of me? :D

Dave Schwartz
10-03-2013, 11:07 AM
Is that what you called him?

Yes, he was always "Bucky." Never anything else as long as I knew him, although we did not meet until 8th grade.

His real name was "Russell Earl Dent" but most of us were surprised to hear that. LOL

He was a little short guy. Played 2nd base, guard and running back. Then I didn't see him for about 5 years, until I was almost out of the Army. Suddenly he was like 6 ft tall. I said, "What happened?"

BTW, he always said that he'd play 2nd base for the Yankees. When I met him again, he was recruiting for the National Guard (and I was in uniform).
I said, "What are you doing now?" and he replied that he was in the White Sox organization. This would have been like 1971 or 1972.

Stillriledup
10-02-2014, 05:29 PM
Deep to right, holy cow!!

36 years ago.

PaceAdvantage
10-02-2014, 05:30 PM
My God I'm old... :lol:

reckless
10-02-2014, 07:05 PM
Deep to right, holy cow!!

36 years ago.

Quick ... who threw the gopher ball to Bucky Dent?

Mike Torrez, who had a fairly decent career for a myriad of teams, including both the Mets and Yankees, the Orioles, the Expos, the A's, started with the Cardinals, I believe.

1978 ??? Nah, can't be :)

Dave Schwartz
10-02-2014, 08:01 PM
Bucky was talking about this on Facebook today.

Even though we are facebook friends, for some (still unknown) reason he does not speak to me. Wonder what I did.

NJ Stinks
10-02-2014, 08:06 PM
Bucky was talking about this on Facebook today.

Even though we are facebook friends, for some (still unknown) reason he does not speak to me. Wonder what I did.

May I suggest that you once gave Bucky a slow horse? :p :)

Dave Schwartz
10-02-2014, 08:17 PM
Yeah... that's not it.

Stillriledup
10-02-2015, 03:03 AM