PDA

View Full Version : NSA knows your Facebook, Twitter status

JustRalph
09-29-2013, 12:12 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/29/us/nsa-examines-social-networks-of-us-citizens.html?_r=0&pagewanted=all#comments

Diane Feinstein accidently confirmed that the NSA is tapping into the backbone above the phone companies. She revealed classified info. The NSA story is slowly creeping and progressively more and more invasive. On purpose of course.......

TJDave
09-29-2013, 02:20 AM
NSA knows your Facebook, Twitter status

Not me...Never been there or done that.

Why anyone would tell the world about their personal life still amazes me.

iceknight
09-29-2013, 03:50 AM

Why anyone would tell the world about their personal life still amazes me. I use twitter to post race picks!

tucker6
09-29-2013, 06:25 AM

Why anyone would tell the world about their personal life still amazes me.
I'm with you on that. Who cares if you're in the head taking a dump! I only signed up for Facebook to get coupons from companies that use that "new age" methodology to reach people. Otherwise, I can't remember my password or login name. Maybe the NSA could send me an email with this info. :D

Robert Goren
09-29-2013, 06:27 AM
Why would you assume they are not? Your employer and potential employers are.

jballscalls
09-29-2013, 10:55 AM
What are they going to use the following info for?

--Where i'm eating
--Who i'm going to a movie with
--pictures of me at a Metallica show
--When it's my friends birthdays (which they already know)
--when I post a meme about the weather.

similar to being pulled over by the cops, if you're not doing anything wrong, nothing to worry about :)

(but i get the point, this isn't freedom)

jballscalls
09-29-2013, 10:57 AM
I'm with you on that. Who cares if you're in the head taking a dump!

I've still yet to see anyone, on any social media platform put this. Most people don't actually post the mundane things they do. It's mostly just racing picks, opinions on racing, and what they had for dinner (thats the biggest mundane one)

Tom
09-29-2013, 11:16 AM
The Fourth Reich rises in DC.........nothing would be better than to shut this useless embarrassment of a government down. For Good.

Anarchy would be preferable to this cesspool.

HuggingTheRail
09-29-2013, 12:23 PM
If any government has been reading my tweets and Facebook updates, they would have unfollowed me by now...

Robert Fischer
09-29-2013, 01:00 PM
What are they going to use the following info for?

--Where i'm eating
--Who i'm going to a movie with
--pictures of me at a Metallica show
--When it's my friends birthdays (which they already know)
--when I post a meme about the weather.

similar to being pulled over by the cops, if you're not doing anything wrong, nothing to worry about :)

(but i get the point, this isn't freedom)

They are going to see all my hot babes :D. This isn't right.

On a more serious note, much of the public's perception of "this NSA stuff" is in terms national security and whether security is worth freedom. Etc.. etc..

And the public, in general, believes that "this NSA stuff" is pretty much only for security, and can only be used with special court orders and warrants.

This stuff is actually first and foremost a corporate data mining tool. Yes that includes the corporations of law enforcement and National Security. It also includes the interests of conglomerates.

And the use of this data mining tool is not limited to special permission via warrants and orders. The only limits on this tool, are that of feasibility.

Yes, in order for the tool to be used against you as stated evidence in a court of law, there has to be a whole rigmarole (and thank goodness we still have some rights).

In reality, as long as a crime occurs that is at a certain level or expense/value, the data tool (in theory of course) can be utilized, and then the same facts can be presented in court via the mouth of cooperating witnesses (rather than the rigmarole ** ).

In the majority of uses, the NSA data mining tool is not used as evidence in court, nor as an illegal way to obtain evidence and force witness testimony. In the majority of uses, it is used by big business in attempts to increase power and profits.

This is where the feasibility thing comes in. Right now some really bright, and some rather dull ladies and gentleman are trying to figure out effective ways to (i don't want to use the word 'handicap' in this context) data mine the public. Think of it as an advertising exec's wet dream.

There are ethical issues that go beyond catching bad guys by way of controversial/illegal tactics, and data mining for better advertising methods.

The obvious is again best described in the systemic nature; Power, and Profit rule, and the only limitation is feasibility. Not ethics, not legality. We know that corporations would never place power and profit above the general public or the environment ;) ;).
But the data mining adds another level of control.
Intimate control.

Here is a sample query that is hardly developed:

"OK, bring up every registered Republican,
cross-check for income,
and recent credit card, and bank account activity.
Great. Now give me facebook, cell phone, and GPS activity clusters..."
^^ So... this simple query that I spent 10 seconds thinking up - Starting with All 300 Million Americans It can target your political affiliation(repugs was simply an example, works just the same for dems) , then it goes by income (high or low or within a range), then can see who is spending money [Notice that the group of people or "target group" gets smaller with each condition just like horseracing queries], Now it gets really intimate = facebook activity clusters - These are friends and family. Cell phone data... GPS activity clusters- literally tracing the area you and your "matches" have been driving. :eek:

gets intimate fast.

Sure is a lot of power if you think about it.

** word of the day! (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/rigmarole?show=0&t=1380472117)

tucker6
09-29-2013, 02:13 PM
Sure is a lot of power if you think about it.

** word of the day! (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/rigmarole?show=0&t=1380472117)
I've been told that as long as I have nothing to hide, I'll be fine ... :rolleyes:

johnhannibalsmith
09-29-2013, 04:25 PM
Crap. now I'm on the list for quoting the post under my name.

HuggingTheRail
09-29-2013, 09:09 PM
This post alone probably just put Pace Advantage on a possible known terrorist recruitment tool database. :D

The whole Religious thread probably put this site on the radar of a lot of groups :D

PaceAdvantage
09-30-2013, 03:10 PM
Crap. now I'm on the list for quoting the post under my name.I take no chances...posts deleted... :lol:

JustRalph
09-30-2013, 06:51 PM
This is about "connections" your friends and who you follow and who follows you.

The most recent info I have seen quoted reveals that for every 2 connections the NSA automatically analyzes, they can connect you with 16 other people.

That is how they are using the data. But nobody seems to give a shit that in ten years this has gone from a single cell organism to a full grown monster of a program.

PhantomOnTour
09-30-2013, 07:26 PM
This is about "connections" your friends and who you follow and who follows you.

The most recent info I have seen quoted reveals that for every 2 connections the NSA automatically analyzes, they can connect you with 16 other people.
That is how they are using the data. But nobody seems to give a shit that in ten years this has gone from a single cell organism to a full grown monster of a program.
Even Kevin Bacon?

highnote
10-14-2013, 09:10 PM
NSA reportedly collecting millions of email address books and IM contact lists worldwide

http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/14/4838966/nsa-reportedly-collecting-millions-of-email-address-books-and-im

The good thing about this is that a U.S. citizens who likes to gamble online might have an argument of why it is legal to gamble online using an account with a foreign gambling operator.

NSA claims they can legally collect data about U.S. citizens because they are using foreign servers.

Well, someone at NSA in Washington has to issue the directive. Then the data is collected on a foreign server because of the request from the U.S. offices of NSA. Then the data gets sent back to the data center in Utah for analysis.

So if a U.S. citizens issues a directive to an offshore gambling site and opens an account and places a bet then has the operator send them money, this is the same kind of circular route the NSA takes to collect U.S. citizen's data.

Only problem is the NSA has the U.S. military behind it. Not sure a typical U.S. citizen could get that kind of backing.

One problem NSA is having is that there are a lot of spam emails which uses up their storage space. So they have to issue "detasking" orders so they can free up space. :D

JustRalph
10-14-2013, 09:28 PM
The sheer numbers involved are incredible. This is an end run around the law. Deliberate. Contrived. Without remorse.

And nobody cares

johnhannibalsmith
10-14-2013, 09:50 PM
But we can't find out how much a bronze plan costs.

highnote
10-15-2013, 12:04 AM
The sheer numbers involved are incredible. This is an end run around the law. Deliberate. Contrived. Without remorse.

And nobody cares

It's OK. The 4th Amendment was repealed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourth_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution

LottaKash
10-15-2013, 01:43 AM

And nobody cares

I care, but what is one to do now ?...It is a done deal and it will never go away, and the information that they gather now, "Will Never Be Deleted, Ever".....

The people who were elected to protect us from this sort of thing, have failed us miserably...Perhaps by design, I am afraid...

It will only get worse once they have the "full dossiers" on everyone....And I believe that whatever the NSA missed and didn't get, O-care with their ominous (to be) database will fill in the missing blanks....We will be forever marked from thereon, so privacy will no longer be an issue, as it will be totally gone in short order now, I think...:eek:

Stillriledup
10-15-2013, 01:52 AM
I care, but what is one to do now ?...It is a done deal and it will never go away, and the information that they gather now, "Will Never Be Deleted, Ever".....

The people who were elected to protect us from this sort of thing, have failed us miserably...Perhaps by design, I am afraid...

It will only get worse once they have the "full dossiers" on everyone....And I believe that whatever the NSA missed and didn't get, O-care with their ominous (to be) database will fill in the missing blanks....We will be forever marked from thereon, so privacy will no longer be an issue, as it will be totally gone in short order now, I think...:eek:

They say its about safety and keeping us safe from the bad guys, but its about money, its always about money, they arent going to "keep us safe" for free, there's a high price to be paid.

"They" are just trying to turn society into the have's and the have nots, sort of like Russia, where the richest 1% own some staggering amount of all the wealth, i read this recently, some bizarre number....we can get to the point where 100 people have 99% of the wealth and the other 99.999999 pct of the population have the other 1%...that's what they're working for it seems.

highnote
10-15-2013, 02:43 AM
we can get to the point where 100 people have 99% of the wealth and the other 99.999999 pct of the population have the other 1%...that's what they're working for it seems.

It often ends badly for the 100 people with all the wealth.

Remember what happened to the Romanovs in Russia.