PDA

View Full Version : The hill at SA

Clocker
09-27-2013, 01:52 PM
Santa Anita opens today, and the feature is a Grade III on the downhill turf course. I have never played SA before, and any comments or experiences with the hill would be appreciated.

How critical is evidence of previous competitive performance on this course?

Stillriledup
09-27-2013, 02:03 PM
Its important, but that "angle" tends to get overbet, especially if there is really a "horse for course" who has multiple wins on that hill.

Tom
09-27-2013, 02:59 PM
Experience over that course and distance, and turn backs.
The best thing about SA is this race - 6.5 T downhill!

Clocker
09-27-2013, 03:20 PM
especially if there is really a "horse for course" who has multiple wins on that hill.

You mean like Unbridled's Note in the Eddie D. Stakes today? ;)

Greyfox
09-27-2013, 03:25 PM
Santa Anita opens today, and the feature is a Grade III on the downhill turf course. I have never played SA before, and any comments or experiences with the hill would be appreciated.

How critical is evidence of previous competitive performance on this course?

Nothing is written in stone, but previous experience on the hill is usually a benefit.
It is the only hill turf course in North America.
It has the only right hand turn in North America.
European horses with previous experience on hills may contend well.
Don't get excited about your horse's chances of winning until it has successfully crossed the dirt portion of the track as it turns for home. Some runners freak out when they move from turf to dirt back to turf in such a short time.
Keep track of which posts are benefitting too. For awhile last year the #1 post was very low probability of winning. Whether that's changed or not, I don't know.

Stillriledup
09-27-2013, 03:34 PM
You mean like Unbridled's Note in the Eddie D. Stakes today? ;)

Yeah, if he's overbet, i'd stay away, too tough a race to take a short price on anyone in there. If i was betting the race, i'd go with Chips all in and ET Tu walker. Tough race.

Striker
09-27-2013, 03:59 PM
Outside posts are more advantageous on the hill course IMO.

Ocala Mike
09-27-2013, 04:39 PM
Thanks, Striker. I"m going with the :12: , and boxing him with UN.

wisconsin
09-27-2013, 04:40 PM
It is the only hill turf course in North America.
It has the only right hand turn in North America.

Kentucky Downs also has a right hand turn, and the far turn moves slightly uphill as the top of the stretch is downhill. Just sayin'

But it is NOT the same as Santa Anita. They are both unique. Closers can come from the clouds on the downhill SA course as well, so early speed is not of utmost importance, then again, some horses get very brave on the lead there.

Clocker
09-27-2013, 05:01 PM
The guys on TVG were just discussing the race, and said that outside posts generally have had an advantage on the hill in the past.

JustRalph
09-27-2013, 05:43 PM
many a frontrunner has faded to last running the rail down the stretch on that course........including some really good speedsters. every once in a while the rail gets good there in the stretch.....and the hell if I can tell why.........

I hate that fffffffinnnngg course..........

VeryOldMan
09-27-2013, 05:59 PM
Its important, but that "angle" tends to get overbet, especially if there is really a "horse for course" who has multiple wins on that hill.

Don't stop by Mizdirection's stall - she might kick you and laugh at you :)

Clocker
09-27-2013, 06:22 PM
I hate that fffffffinnnngg course..........

Hey, don't sugar-coat it. Tell us how you really feel. :cool:

JustRalph
09-27-2013, 07:25 PM
The horse I like, :7: Rock me Baby has been bet down from 10-1 ML to 9/2?

I also like the :3:

:3: :7:

Equisim Longshot Plays

:13: :1:

:11: under in exotics? at 30-1??

Hoofless_Wonder
09-27-2013, 07:49 PM
Won by :8: Chips All In.

Would have been more appropriate if the :4: would have got up, coming from the clouds, like Eddie D. himself.

Can't say as I've recall another race named for a jockey, and a living jockey at that....Good for SA - Eddie was awesome!

JustRalph
09-27-2013, 07:54 PM
See what I mean........... I hate that course............ :lol:

elhelmete
09-27-2013, 08:08 PM
These perhaps would be muted at the graded stakes level but...

POSITIVES:
*success at one mile on the turf
*prior experience on the course, esp. being involved late (duh)
*outside posts

RED HERRING:
The 6f turf course at Hollywood is not remotely similar to the hillside, so I look at those running lines with a grain of salt.

Stillriledup
09-27-2013, 08:12 PM
Don't stop by Mizdirection's stall - she might kick you and laugh at you :)

Wow, she's the queen of overbet! :D

plainolebill
09-28-2013, 01:12 AM
Won by :8: Chips All In.

Would have been more appropriate if the :4: would have got up, coming from the clouds, like Eddie D. himself.

Can't say as I've recall another race named for a jockey, and a living jockey at that....Good for SA - Eddie was awesome!

Shoemaker Mile, run for the last time at Hol this summer.

letswastemoney
09-28-2013, 03:11 AM
The outside on the downhill is the "inside," as I understood it from a previous thread on here