PDA

View Full Version : Obama gives Detroit 100 million

JustRalph
09-27-2013, 02:11 AM
http://www.nbc4i.com/story/23544407/ahead-of-talks-feds-find-100m-for-broke-detroit

Rewarding bad behavior. A hallmark of Democratic policy

"The federal money being directed Detroit's way by the U.S. government totals more than $100 million and will be augmented by millions of dollars more in resources from foundations and Detroit businesses, but it falls far short of a the wider bailout some in the city had sought.

"Something is better than nothing," said Bridgette Shephard, 47, a social worker who lives in Detroit. "A bailout would have been better, but if we can sustain some of our needs with grants that would be a start. Let's take it. Whatever kind of money it is to benefit the city, I'm all for it."

Gene Sperling, chief economic adviser to President Barack Obama, said the administration scrounged through the federal budget and found untapped money that "either had not flowed or had not gotten out or not directed to the top priorities for Detroit."

Sperling and three other top Obama aides - U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder, Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx and HUD Secretary Shaun Donovan - will meet with state and local officials Friday.

The Obama administration repeatedly had signaled it would not offer a massive federal bailout like the one credited with helping rescue Chrysler and General Motors.

"There is not going to be a bailout," Democratic U.S. Sen. Carl Levin told The Associated Press on Wednesday. "We have enough problems with the federal deficit. We need to be creative and look at existing programs. There are still some funds there."

The funding announced by Sperling will include $65 million in Community Development Block Grants for blight eradication, $25 million in a public-private collaboration for commercial building demolition and nearly $11 million in funds to ensure working families can live in safe neighborhoods.

Holder will announce $3 million that, in part, will be used to hire new police officers. About $25 million also will be expedited to Detroit to hire about 140 firefighters and buy new gear.

"It wasn't enough to try and free the resources," Sperling said. "We had to make sure they are well-used and targeted."

OntheRail
09-27-2013, 03:31 AM
Aaah the sucking sound... now is it from the Governments teat or rushing flow down the sewer hole.

See no one cares about failures consequences cause Uncle Sugar Sam will make it all better. Just like Big Fed when the Markets waiver, comes running with his bucket of ink for the presses. This insanity has to stop... let them roll over and dry out... let the markets float or sink. It's the only way to balance thing out and ween the flunky junkies.

delayjf
09-27-2013, 08:22 AM
Drop in the bucket compared to what he will have to pay CA to keep the Unions pensions afloat.

horses4courses
09-27-2013, 10:57 AM
I'm reading $320 million

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-09-27/obama-set-to-deliver-320-million-to-aid-bankrupt-detroit.html

jballscalls
09-27-2013, 11:32 AM
Aaah the sucking sound... now is it from the Governments teat or rushing flow down the sewer hole.

See no one cares about failures consequences cause Uncle Sugar Sam will make it all better. Just like Big Fed when the Markets waiver, comes running with his bucket of ink for the presses. This insanity has to stop... let them roll over and dry out... let the markets float or sink. It's the only way to balance thing out and ween the flunky junkies.

I get your point here, but don't you find it a little difficult to tell our fellow countrymen "roll over and dry out"?

LottaKash
09-27-2013, 12:20 PM
Do they get to "upgrade" their "Obamaphones" too ?...:jump:

DJofSD
09-27-2013, 12:21 PM
I get your point here, but don't you find it a little difficult to tell our fellow countrymen "roll over and dry out"?
If there's one thing they could do to ease the problem it would be to acquire and raize the abandoned and dilapidated properties.

OntheRail
09-27-2013, 12:27 PM

Not at all...

Piss poor management should not be rewarded. It's the only way to sober up the binge spenders. They are like drunks with a key to the liquor stores back door. So if they have to suffer thru withdrawal so be it. These pains will trickle down thru population and may make them THINK about whom they are putting in charge, instead of pulling the lever for a slick talking nitwit passing out a phones and whatnot.

Tom
09-27-2013, 12:37 PM
Originally Posted by jballscalls

Our fellow countrymen dug this hole - why should I pay to fill it?
The message this send to the rest to that loser cities run by dems is that Uncle Sugar will bail you out - we jut dip into the pockets of those who did not totally screw it up.

Let losers lie in the beds that made.

Stillriledup
09-27-2013, 02:31 PM
Everyone gets a bailout except us.

No, we get people spying on our private communications instead.

DJofSD
09-27-2013, 02:33 PM
Everyone gets a bailout except us.

High time for some history to be repeated.

jballscalls
09-27-2013, 06:24 PM
Our fellow countrymen dug this hole - why should I pay to fill it?
The message this send to the rest to that loser cities run by dems is that Uncle Sugar will bail you out - we jut dip into the pockets of those who did not totally screw it up.

Let losers lie in the beds that made.

I think the winner's and loser's outlook is where we disagree. I feel like we're all in this together and hope my tax dollars go to help people who are struggling or in your words are "losers"

I also separate the people of a city and the elected officials who helped bankrupt said city. granted they may have voted for them, but that doesn't mean they deserve poverty. IMO at least.

I don't hold it against you and me for voting for a guy who started this entire debt ball really rolling (I voted for Bushy, assuming many here did as well).

and you'd think republicans would go in and win the offices there now. Campaign on nothing but fiscal stuff and helping the city recovery through private business. Just show Democrat failure after failure there and win. And if they don't win, win the presidency so as not to enable these kinds of bailouts that you don't want.

I've always thought if republicans could get their fringe minority to hush up and go away, and they focused on economics and hard work and private business, they'd never lose. But they alienate so many people with some of their views, that people just won't vote for them.

JustRalph
04-16-2014, 01:40 PM
Another 100 million?

http://www.freep.com/article/20140415/NEWS/304150147/Obama-Michigan-talks-free-up-100M-aid-Detroit-pension-deal

Clocker
04-16-2014, 01:53 PM
Another 100 million?

http://www.freep.com/article/20140415/NEWS/304150147/Obama-Michigan-talks-free-up-100M-aid-Detroit-pension-deal

Another symptom of big government running amok when Obama can just reach in his stash and come up with a few hundred million any time he needs it. And spend it without Congressional oversight.

Tom
04-16-2014, 02:39 PM
I think the winner's and loser's outlook is where we disagree. I feel like we're all in this together and hope my tax dollars go to help people who are struggling or in your words are "losers"

No we are not all in it together.
Detroit FAILED to act responsibly and dug the hole all by themselves. They deserve the Hell they made of their city. I had NO PART in it at all. I should not spend a damn penny to reward them for their total stupidity.

Where the Hell is MY reward for NOT being a moron and voting for crooks?

Go to Hell, Detroit - who needs ya?

davew
04-16-2014, 02:52 PM
But Obama also has been under pressure from unions not to let retirees suffer in Detroit, a city that votes heavily Democratic.

Stillriledup
04-16-2014, 05:48 PM
Didnt the "mayor" of Detroit go to jail for being a naughty boy?

Tom
04-16-2014, 08:28 PM
Yes, he did.
Detroit is suffering a self-inflicted ailment.
Stupidity costs money.
They make them much stupider than in Detroit.
Go to Hell, Motown.

JustRalph
04-16-2014, 08:58 PM
Didnt the "mayor" of Detroit go to jail for being a naughty boy?

Actually the last Three Mayors went to jail or were indicted for something if my memory serves me right

I've posted this before.......in case you missed it. Detroit council session

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXoidHdzNs8&sns=em

tucker6
04-16-2014, 09:06 PM
Does Obama say specifically how the money is to be spent, and the oversight the feds will have over where it's spent?? Has Obama asked for an action plan from Detroit on how they expect to get out of the hole they are in?? Any austerity program requested?? Any string attached to the $200M "invested" so far??

JustRalph
04-16-2014, 09:27 PM
Does Obama say specifically how the money is to be spent, and the oversight the feds will have over where it's spent?? Has Obama asked for an action plan from Detroit on how they expect to get out of the hole they are in?? Any austerity program requested?? Any string attached to the $200M "invested" so far??

He's going to pay for their pensions

Buying their votes until they die

All according to the democratic play book

Michigan isn't a solid blue state. This helps make it solid

davew
04-16-2014, 09:36 PM
"That's what you do. You vote them in, and then you go to Washington and bring back some bacon".

More bacon for you Detroit.

JustRalph
04-16-2014, 09:51 PM
"That's what you do. You vote them in, and then you go to Washington and bring back some bacon".

More bacon for you Detroit.

The fact that a city leader says that and pushes the meme is the reason they will never be solvent.

Jerry Brown in California is going around talking about a budget surplus. He fails to mention that he isn't including the pension obligations and ongoing retirement obligations the state faces.

They all do it on both sides of the aisle. Accounting tricks and such. But the Dems take it to a new art form and places like Detroit and San Bernardino are the places that pay for it in the long run.

dartman51
04-17-2014, 12:25 AM
Actually the last Three Mayors went to jail or were indicted for something if my memory serves me right

I've posted this before.......in case you missed it. Detroit council session

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXoidHdzNs8&sns=em

The PERFECT example of insanity. Keep voting in the same kind of people, expecting a different outcome. They've had nothing but Democrat mayors since 1962. :bang:

mostpost
04-17-2014, 01:47 AM
I don't think OntheRail finds that difficult at all. Guys like him are short on empathy. It's the gated community versus the rest of us. And he does live in a gated community-mentally if not physically.

newtothegame
04-17-2014, 01:53 AM

I also separate the people of a city and the elected officials who helped bankrupt said city. granted they may have voted for them, but that doesn't mean they deserve poverty. IMO at least.

I don't hold it against you and me for voting for a guy who started this entire debt ball really rolling (I voted for Bushy, assuming many here did as well).

and you'd think republicans would go in and win the offices there now. Campaign on nothing but fiscal stuff and helping the city recovery through private business. Just show Democrat failure after failure there and win. And if they don't win, win the presidency so as not to enable these kinds of bailouts that you don't want.

I've always thought if republicans could get their fringe minority to hush up and go away, and they focused on economics and hard work and private business, they'd never lose. But they alienate so many people with some of their views, that people just won't vote for them.

So much for the hope...hell some of your tax dollars aren't even being spent in this country......

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/penny-starr/feds-offer-15-million-grant-job-creation-belize

But those people in Belize sure must like the job creation efforts!!!

newtothegame
04-17-2014, 01:56 AM
I don't think OntheRail finds that difficult at all. Guys like him are short on empathy. It's the gated community versus the rest of us. And he does live in a gated community-mentally if not physically.

lmao....funny you say "guys like on the rail" are "short on empathy"......

I have given you a real life person, I know, struggling, and asked for you to provide them a check monthly......
Now either the mail man (no pun intended so people don't get upset), forgot to deliver, or you were the one short on empathy.....

I am betting on the latter!

Or is it just your contention that you understand their plight, as long as you don't have to foot the bill? :lol:

tucker6
04-17-2014, 07:08 AM
and yet study after study shows that the people behind gated communities (mentally and/or physically) are more philanthropic as a percentage of wealth than wannabe elitists like yourself.

tucker6
04-17-2014, 07:18 AM
lmao....funny you say "guys like on the rail" are "short on empathy"......

I have given you a real life person, I know, struggling, and asked for you to provide them a check monthly......
Now either the mail man (no pun intended so people don't get upset), forgot to deliver, or you were the one short on empathy.....

I am betting on the latter!

Or is it just your contention that you understand their plight, as long as you don't have to foot the bill? :lol:
Clocker said it best a week or so ago when he differentiated between the liberal view on the definition of "people" and "individual". People like Mostie and Robert and NJ want to know that the "people" are being helped by somebody, but don't want to come down from their elitist perch to know or help the individual personally. Empathy on the left is truly skin deep.

Tom
04-17-2014, 07:36 AM

Do you live on a BS farm?
You never run out of it.
Talk about empathy - millions of taxpayers who do NOT get pensions have to spent their hard money for the minority who squandered theirs? How in any convoluted log is is that fair? THE made the choices that cost them their money not us. WE never promised them a pension.....why should WE pay for theirs?

This is nothing more than stealing from most people, and YOUR BOY is a criminal for doing it. Obama will burn in HELL, and that is the only good thing about this.

This is why we need a second amendment.

OntheRail
04-17-2014, 02:43 PM
Firstly... you don't know shit about me. I bet your like Biden claim your standard charity deduction while if fact donating zip. I just sent my taxes off... know how much I declared for Charity? Zip..Nada.. not that I gave nothing. See I don't give freely so I can take it back at the end of the year as a write off... that's having others cover my generosity... which is not being generous in my book. That's spending other peoples monies without they're consent. Which is right up your ally... not mine.

Now for the Detroit system workers that could give a shit about their fellow Detroities cause they got theirs in the Union contract plans. And I'll bet 90% of those pension checks get sent out of State... cause they don't want to live in the hole they helped create.

Why should My Federal Dollars award failure on an epic scale. "We" had no voice in Detroit's Union pension negotiation so why should "We" be held on the hook for them. If they can not pay the bill let them default and all that reaped the high times share equally in the low... cause they contributed to it's demise. And this slight of hand white washing with funds is BS.

I live within my means.. should I not expect others and DEMAND my Government do the same. If there is no consequences to piss poor dissensions no lesson will be learned... just look at Detroit.

You want to help out your fellow Union pension pals send them a piece of yours... I'll not hold my breath in anticipation of your selfless generosity with your OWN money.

davew
04-17-2014, 05:24 PM

I love it that my leaders have empathy and live in squalor. Ms 0bama just spent a few hundred million on her trip to Europe staying in the finest and bringing along her advisor family. The entire democratic party has so much empathy, they got my vote for years - I might even get a job going around voting multiple times (although probably won't donate for their $1000 plate campaign dinners).

classhandicapper
04-17-2014, 07:31 PM
This is just great.

A bunch of corrupt brain dead lefty politicians made a bunch of promises to unions and other government workers that everyone with a functioning brain knew they could never keep and then when it blows up everyone else has to pay for it.

So basically we all overpay for goods and services in order for the democrats to buy votes, screw up the country, and then when it blows up we have to bail them all out too.

Wait, this is just the beginning. There are cities and states all over the country with the same problem. Even Warren Buffett recently said the crap is going to hit the fan over the next 10 years due to pensions and health care promises.

And they wonder why there are right wing extremists in this country. :bang:

classhandicapper
04-17-2014, 07:43 PM

People have a lot of empathy for others when through no fault of their own they find themselves in a poor financial position.

What they don't like is higher taxes and having to overpay for goods and services because of overpaid government workers that were bought by corrupt politicians. They also don't like adding insult to injury by having to bail them out after those incompetent corrupt politicians can't make good on the promises.

It's not just rich people that are paying for this.

It's EVERYONE that was not a union worker that got inflated salaries, pensions, and health care and other benefits. All of us!

newtothegame
04-18-2014, 01:08 AM

Yep, more of your tax dollars hard at work.....for Mexican male prostitutes....:lol:

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/eric-scheiner/us-govt-study-pays-mexican-male-prostitutes-not-getting-stds

Tom
04-18-2014, 09:14 AM
Unions cost this country far more than Al Qeda every year.
At least we can use drones on Al Qeda.

GaryG
04-18-2014, 09:35 AM
I live in a gated community. It keeps the cows out of my garden. As for empathy I support the charities of my choice. Detroit is not on the list unfortunately.