PDA

View Full Version : trojan removed?

JETSWIN
09-26-2013, 11:34 PM
anyone have this appear on this site? came on as i was reading here anti virus says trojan removed @ 10.34 est

PaceAdvantage
09-27-2013, 02:28 AM
I'm sure if this website had a virus, JustRalph would have let me know about it, as he is the resident computer guru...

Not to mention I am on here probably as much or more than anyone, and I haven't seen anything pop up...

Just because a virus|malware appears when you are on this site, doesn't necessarily mean it originated on this site. Something on the site could be triggering the virus (such as the javascript/php that runs the site or the flash code that runs some of the banners...these types of interactions may awaken a virus|malware that has been hibernating/lurking on your machine but that you picked up elsewhere....or so I've been told).

MJC922
09-27-2013, 07:23 AM
Haven't noticed any issues here nor would I ever expect any from a site like this. What AV are you running?

JETSWIN
09-27-2013, 12:24 PM
running mcafee & after 30 minutes on site got the pop-up says mcafee removed trojan pwszbot-fh!106, first pop-up i've gotten from mcafee

I'm lost when it comes to computer tech, should i do a system restore?

thanks p.a & mj

jerry-g
09-27-2013, 12:26 PM
Maybe it was a Walmart Trojan. Most AV usually will name the virus not
just the item.

JustRalph
09-27-2013, 05:53 PM
I wouldn't sweat it. sit back . it may be that your anti virus was doing a background scan and found it. the anti virus can run on a schedule.

McAfee is a piece of crap btw. It slows your computer down big time.

just my opine.......... don't do anything until you see some other symptom

JETSWIN
09-27-2013, 07:40 PM
I wouldn't sweat it. sit back . it may be that your anti virus was doing a background scan and found it. the anti virus can run on a schedule.

McAfee is a piece of crap btw. It slows your computer down big time.

just my opine.......... don't do anything until you see some other symptom

thanks jralph, though other symptom?

JustRalph
09-27-2013, 07:43 PM
thanks jralph, though other symptom?

If your anti virus kicks up another warning or the machine has some other symptom ........until then ........sit back

if you get something else........ post it.

Lots of guys on this board will be glad to weigh in....... good troubleshooters all over the place here.........

MJC922
09-27-2013, 09:33 PM
running mcafee & after 30 minutes on site got the pop-up says mcafee removed trojan pwszbot-fh!106, first pop-up i've gotten from mcafee

I'm lost when it comes to computer tech, should i do a system restore?

thanks p.a & mj

I agree with Ralph I think you're ok unless it keeps coming back. If you want to be more certain, run a full system scan with your AV if you haven't already, then download the free Malwarebytes, run a full scan with that. If it's all coming up clean after that you can sleep soundly. System restore points may still have the problem, unless you do a full restore of the entire system which is a last resort but it does do the trick.

JETSWIN
09-28-2013, 12:49 PM
I agree with Ralph I think you're ok unless it keeps coming back. If you want to be more certain, run a full system scan with your AV if you haven't already, then download the free Malwarebytes, run a full scan with that. If it's all coming up clean after that you can sleep soundly. System restore points may still have the problem, unless you do a full restore of the entire system which is a last resort but it does do the trick.

it hasn't came back but when i try a full scan the scan stalls at 27% complete & cpu is maxed to 99-100, cpu 10-11 when i stop the scan

computer is only 1 year old cheap though but has hardly nothing downloaded on it

MJC922
09-28-2013, 03:14 PM
it hasn't came back but when i try a full scan the scan stalls at 27% complete & cpu is maxed to 99-100, cpu 10-11 when i stop the scan

computer is only 1 year old cheap though but has hardly nothing downloaded on it

Interesting that it stalls. I hate to suggest a full restore because it can kill a half-day but if you have the original restore DVD it might not be a bad idea. Some of these things have deep hooks into the OS and once they get a foothold will prevent AV from doing its job. The other thing is maybe dump the AV, uninstall it and try a different one like AVG or whatever else is free with a decent rep, Avast etc.

JETSWIN
09-28-2013, 11:29 PM
Interesting that it stalls. I hate to suggest a full restore because it can kill a half-day but if you have the original restore DVD it might not be a bad idea. Some of these things have deep hooks into the OS and once they get a foothold will prevent AV from doing its job. The other thing is maybe dump the AV, uninstall it and try a different one like AVG or whatever else is free with a decent rep, Avast etc.

i'm going to see if the mcafee techs can correct it, maybe easy fix everything is fast now just won't scan

thank you

Longshot6977
09-29-2013, 11:52 AM
The other thing is maybe dump the AV, uninstall it and try a different one like AVG or whatever else is free with a decent rep, Avast etc.

As a long time PC troubleshooter, I have to agree with this. My opinion is to uninstall CrapAfee (it really does bog down your system and uses too many system resources) and isn't the best at identifying/eliminating malware. Install a free version of something like AVG or BitDefender, or Malwarebytes or other and try a new full scan. Be sure to run the file update on any new AV you install since they have daily updates. I would personally not waste time with the McAfee reps.
Just try uninstalling CrapAfee and reinstall another AV and let us know the outcome. We are all here to assist as much as possible. By the way, I never had any issues with this great PA site.

JETSWIN
09-29-2013, 02:20 PM
thanks you longshots

PaceAdvantage
09-30-2013, 02:57 PM
Hitman Pro is something else you should run...it's quick and often times deadly in eliminating malware...and it has a free unrestricted 30 day trial:

http://www.surfright.nl/en/hitmanpro/

judd
10-01-2013, 05:08 AM
my new lenova with windows 8 came with Kaspersky--runs like a charm