View Full Version : SLEW'S FAST HORSES FOR WED. 09/25

MeSlew
09-24-2013, 10:24 PM
Hello All! For Wednesday, 9/25, a short list that is long on Belmont:
Belmont - 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9
Woodbine - 2,3,7

We have a Key Horse running on Wednesday:

Wave Theory - Bel ( 1) 05/27/13 # 7

In attempting to find Slew's Key Horses, I like to include at least one or two maiden breakers that show promise. This is tricky business for many reasons. Not the least of which is that assessing talent early in their careers becomes difficult because so many maiden races are filled with runners who will never be successful in a meaningful way, and beating them can be as deceiving as a Las Vegas magic show. Looking at the maiden breaker for our Key Horse Wave Theory, the 9 horses that competed in the Aqueduct MSW on 11/18/2012 have combined to run 57 races with 8 wins amongst them. Not one was best in their next start. Notable however, is that our heroine ran a good 2nd in the 75K Ginger Brew Stakes at Gulfstream and finished ahead of Discreet Marq.

Since her very first race, Wave Theory has performed admirably in stakes despite her having only a maiden win to her credit. One can only guess whether it is trainer Chad Brown or owner Martin Schwartz that has insisted on an aggressive and difficult career path for this daughter of Smart Strike. Either way, we are still looking for win # 2 going into her 10th career start. But my feeling that this one was a runner...I loved her inaugural race where she checked in 2nd...has been verified by the connections as they have really asked much of her right from the start. Troubled trips in the G1 Ashland and G2 Sands Point, and no trip at all in the Edgewood at Churchill litter her personal history. And losing to Discreet Marq in the Sands Point after altering course late in the stretch is nothing to be ashamed of. Discreet Marq in one heckofa runner.

Off since July and finally in a N1x where she probably should have been a long time ago, it is time for her to win a race that she should win. She does get the services of J.J. Castellano who is winning at a 26% clip for the meet, and is someone who I am hoping will restore order to this career of over-reaching. A steady diet of 4F :50 works should prepare her for her first start at the 1 1/8 mile distance.

I don't like her ML odds at 2-1 but I'll make a wager anyway, providing that she doesn't sink too much below that level. I'll also try to link her in a double and pick 3. If I can trust a Rudy R. single in race # 2, I'll play Baffle me and Slew's entry of Jopia in race # 3 while I pack for a trip to Nova Scotia by ocean liner.

Do they still say ocean liner?

Enjoy the Wednesday racing...good luck and good 'capping!