PDA

View Full Version : NYRA Thursday

aaron
09-24-2013, 04:49 PM
Six Maiden Races on a 10 race card.Is this the most Maiden races ever run at at NYRA track ? If this is what you are carding,why have 10 races ?

cj
09-24-2013, 04:52 PM
If you have lots of maidens on the grounds, I guess you have to run lots of maiden races to have less maidens on the grounds, right?

I don't like that many maiden races, as most don't, but I'm sure they are carding what will fill. So come Friday, there will be six more winners in the barns.

wisconsin
09-24-2013, 05:10 PM
Nobody is "carding" too many maiden races. There were only 2 written in the condition book. The other races DID NOT FILL, so they wrote "extra" races, which were maidens obviously. You can't run horses that do not exist and that's not the fault of the racing secretary.

burnsy
09-24-2013, 05:29 PM
I say the same thing about Saratoga and they do fill most of the other conditions. I understand they have to run them but this many? Plus, they try to make them sound good, thats what really gets me the most. People come on tv and the radio to tell you how bettable they are..........then they procede to go 3 to 5 deep in pics and the sixth one wins. Yeah, you can really beat those.........;) Learned many years ago about maiden races . especially the babies, those are even worse unless you like 4-5 or can pick a 40-1. If i'm betting my money, i sort of like proven commodities. Doesn't matter if they are cheap becuase i only bet the major tracks any way.

TheEdge07
09-24-2013, 08:19 PM
Nobody is "carding" too many maiden races. There were only 2 written in the condition book. The other races DID NOT FILL, so they wrote "extra" races, which were maidens obviously. You can't run horses that do not exist and that's not the fault of the racing secretary.

Beginning of the end? :(

Rise Over Run
09-24-2013, 08:31 PM

Good point. And look at what is on tap this weekend:

5 Grade 1s and 1 Grade 2 on Saturday
2 Grade 2s on Sunday

The maiden claimers need to go during the week. But I agree, what is the point with 10 races on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday?

Vinman
09-24-2013, 08:46 PM
If NYRA is going to run 10 races every day, they should add a second Pick 5 while they're at it. Mountaineer has been running back to back 50 cent pick 5's on their 10 race cards since September 1. If there's a carryover, it goes into there very next pool. Tonight's early P5 includes a $6,000 carryover from last night's second pool. Imagine the $$$ that could be generated by a NYRA P5 carryover from the first pool into the second.

Vinman

Tom
09-24-2013, 10:47 PM
The bad news is as they graduate, we get a slew of NW2 races.

aaron
09-25-2013, 08:38 AM
It is shame that this is what racing has come to be. Your statement says it all-"you can't run horses that do not exist.
Thanks for the correct perspective.

cj
09-25-2013, 08:41 AM
We keep hearing about declining foal numbers, but we never seem to run out of maidens. Baffling...

iceknight
09-25-2013, 12:10 PM
If you have lots of maidens on the grounds, I guess you have to run lots of maiden races to have less maidens on the grounds, right?

I don't like that many maiden races, as most don't, but I'm sure they are carding what will fill. So come Friday, there will be six more winners in the barns.At least. Judging by the other thread of back to back dead heat winners sometime back... we could've more :)

OTM Al
09-25-2013, 01:51 PM
I think there are some pretty good races in there and a couple good chances for prices, but then I prefer maiden races. I know many who dislike them are people who play using one program or another and often there isn't enough info to make the program work right. Frankly I have no idea how to deal with mid to cheap claiming races in which there is plenty of data so I hate cards with a lot of those on them. What subjectively makes a good or bad card is if the setup is in our personal wheelhouse or not. My top pick across those 6 races at a quick glance is #2 in the 7th. Anywhere near the ML is a good price play.

OTM Al
09-27-2013, 04:42 PM
And evidently someone thinks Belmont Saturday is a bad card too....

http://www.horseraceinsider.com/Ante-Post/comments/super-saturday-is-too-much-of-a-good-thing/#comments

Yeah, that's me in the comments at #8. I stand by that statement.