PDA

View Full Version : Anecdotal medical job cuts due to ObamaCare

Clocker
09-21-2013, 01:00 AM
Once upon a time, the president celebrated the Cleveland Clinic as a model of efficiency in the provision of medical services. Now that clinic has announced cost cutting measures and job cuts due to declining revenues as a result of ObamaCare.

(Reuters) - The world-renowned Cleveland Clinic said on Wednesday it would cut jobs and slash five to six percent of its $6 billion annual budget to prepare for President Barack Obama's health reforms.

The clinic is Cleveland's largest employer and the second largest in Ohio after Wal-Mart. It is the largest provider in Ohio of Medicaid health coverage for the poor, the program that will expand to cover uninsured Americans under Obamacare.

"We know we are going to be reimbursed less," under Medicaid, Sheil said.

Cleveland Clinic has almost 100 locations around Ohio employing 3,000 doctors. Its main campus is world renowned for cancer and cardiovascular treatment.

"To prepare for healthcare reform, Cleveland Clinic is transforming the way care is delivered to patients," Sheil said without elaborating.

Full story. (http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/09/18/us-usa-health-clevelandclinic-idUSBRE98H14V20130918)

JustRalph
09-21-2013, 06:07 AM
That last sentence is scary as hell

fast4522
09-21-2013, 06:09 AM
The Hidden Obamacare Taxes That Will Crush The Middle Class

http://moneymorning.com/ob-article/obamacare-taxes.php?code=t-oc-taxes

Capper Al
09-21-2013, 06:10 AM
Our brain trusted has spoken. You can't have reform without changing anything. But for those of us that are fortunate enough to have insurance, nothing much should change.

ArlJim78
09-21-2013, 07:04 AM
The two major objectives of Obamacare are failures. tens of millions will still not have insurance, and costs will go up rather than as advertised (bend the cost curve down).
No foreign adversary could inflict as much damage on our country as this president and his communist followers in congress have managed.

HUSKER55
09-21-2013, 07:23 AM
maybe we are under attack.

bible says to beware of wolves in sheep's clothing

Capper Al
09-21-2013, 09:02 AM
maybe we are under attack.

bible says to beware of wolves in sheep's clothing

If you think he's a wolf then he's not in sheep's clothing is he.

Capper Al
09-21-2013, 09:07 AM
The two major objectives of Obamacare are failures. tens of millions will still not have insurance, and costs will go up rather than as advertised (bend the cost curve down).
No foreign adversary could inflict as much damage on our country as this president and his communist followers in congress have managed.

And you have all this information because? Officially it hasn't failed yet because it isn't going full blast. You talk like you know the horse is going to lose, but isn't that just talk. You won't know who won until the race was run. The right wing propaganda has your mind, no facts just conclusions.

fast4522
09-21-2013, 09:31 AM
With well more than half of the country opposed to this, one could easily see a dirty race where your horse gets boxed. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the very few, especially the illegal aliens.

Clocker
09-21-2013, 10:10 AM

The Congressional Budget Office (CBO) estimates that under ObamaCare, the number of "Uninsured Nonelderly People" will never fall below 30 million. This summary includes a link to the CBO study. (http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/cbo-uninsured-under-obamacare-never-falls-below-30-million_733740.html)

Clocker
09-21-2013, 10:27 AM
And you have all this information because? Officially it hasn't failed yet because it isn't going full blast.

Apparently the folks in the health care industry have the information, because they are getting ready for it.

The Cleveland Clinic is not alone. Hospitals across the country are laying off workers and eliminating services because of Obamacare and other budgetary constrictions, as the Washington Free Beacon reported previously.

“I think we’re going to see a lot more reduction in labor force at hospitals because of Obamacare,” said Sally Pipes, a health care expert at the Pacific Research Institute.

One major reason is mandatory cuts in Medicare reimbursement rates under Obamacare, said James Capretta, a health care expert at the Ethics and Public Policy Center. Medicare, the government’s health insurance program for the elderly, covers over a fifth of health care costs in the United States, meaning it makes up a significant portion of hospital revenue.

Full story here. (http://freebeacon.com/obamacares-structure-leading-to-hospital-cuts-experts-say/)

Robert Goren
09-21-2013, 11:44 AM
I find it interesting that the conservatives attacks on Obama have in the last 6 months or so have slowly switched from how bad they think the economy is to Obama care.

Tom
09-21-2013, 11:47 AM
Give us a break, Bobby - there is so much wrong with Obama, it is hard for us to cover everything - not enough time in the day to list all his faults, errors, screw-ups, gaffs, and pitfalls every day.

We are not all as diligent as Ralph is! :lol: :lol: ;) :ThmbUp:

mostpost
09-21-2013, 12:07 PM
The Hidden Obamacare Taxes That Will Crush The Middle Class

http://moneymorning.com/ob-article/obamacare-taxes.php?code=t-oc-taxes
To "educate" us on the Hidden Obamacare Taxes, you present us with an infomercial. :rolleyes: Worse yet, it is an infomercial by Betsy McCaughey. Betsy McCaughey is the liar who told us there were death panels in the Obamacare bill. Betsy McCaughey is the liar who claimed that Rahm Emanuels brother, Ezekial, recommended that health care be rationed by age.
Betsy is trying to sell us something and you think this is a legitimate condemnation of Obamacare. :bang: :bang: :bang:

JustRalph
09-21-2013, 12:12 PM
I find it interesting that the conservatives attacks on Obama have in the last 6 months or so have slowly switched from how bad they think the economy is to Obama care.

you think it might be because the sign up period is ten days away......?

are you that thick? The Government budget starts Oct 1st too....... :bang:

mostpost
09-21-2013, 12:33 PM
Apparently the folks in the health care industry have the information, because they are getting ready for it.

Full story here. (http://freebeacon.com/obamacares-structure-leading-to-hospital-cuts-experts-say/)

If one reads the excerpt you posted, one gets a certain viewpoint. If one reads the entire article that view changes drastically. Your excerpt states that Obamacare imposes mandatory cuts in Medicare reimbursement. That is repeated several times in the full article. That makes it seem that if an appendectomy was previously reimbursed at a rate of $100 it will now be reimbursed at a rate of $80 or some such.

There is a sentence in the full article that is ignored in your excerpt. The mandatory cuts are reductions in future increases in reimbursement which were established to account for inflation. Those increases have been reduced by 1.1%.

In any case, we should not have for profit hospitals. The purpose of a hospital should be to cure sick people, not provide a corporate profit.

Clocker
09-21-2013, 01:03 PM
If one reads the excerpt you posted, one gets a certain viewpoint. If one reads the entire article that view changes drastically.

You can dissect that article and pick nits all you want, it doesn't change the reality that hospitals are cutting jobs because of ObamaCare.

In any case, we should not have for profit hospitals. The purpose of a hospital should be to cure sick people, not provide a corporate profit.

Profit is evil, right, even if a for-profit hospital can deliver better care at lower costs? How's that working out in the UK? Or Cuba?

mostpost
09-21-2013, 01:07 PM
Obamacare never claimed to give everyone health insurance. Thirty million people who did not have H. I. previously will be able to get it now. If some of those 30 million do not take advantage of the opportunity, that is testament to their ignorance not to any flaws in the law.

Clocker
09-21-2013, 01:14 PM
Obamacare never claimed to give everyone health insurance.

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing025.gif

OntheRail
09-21-2013, 01:17 PM

The economy, lets say it's like a piece of glass. Now ours is thin and weak... it has a crack in the left hand corner (Obumacare). As more and more strain is put on the glass that crack is widening and soon will shatter. A reasonable person would back off the pressure once they seen the the crack lengthen even a little in hopes of staving off disaster.

So as you can see rational people see the connection between the two and who's swinging the hammer.

They should of started with tort reform... and maybe offered Malpractice Insurance to doctors with a review panel for all claims... to weed bad doctor and stop frivolous claims and abuse. Placed ceilings on cost. Once these issue had been dealt with we'd have Affordable Healthcare for all.

ArlJim78
09-21-2013, 02:16 PM
Obamacare never claimed to give everyone health insurance. Thirty million people who did not have H. I. previously will be able to get it now. If some of those 30 million do not take advantage of the opportunity, that is testament to their ignorance not to any flaws in the law.
from Obama's speech to congress in 2009 (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/10/us/politics/10obama.text.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0);

The plan I'm announcing tonight would meet three basic goals:

It will provide more security and stability to those who have health insurance. It will provide insurance to those who don't.

try again.

Clocker
09-21-2013, 02:33 PM
try again.

His mind is made up. Don't confuse him with facts.

HUSKER55
09-21-2013, 02:46 PM
When Tommy Thompson was in charge of hhs he gave a speech at Brookfield and he said that private hospitals, (run for profit), had way better stats than any non-profit hospital.

In other words the quality of care is significantly higher and so are the results.

I still maintain that with more people paying in the rates should go down. The fact that they are not leaves me to think the PFC is getting boned again.

Until I see something that really makes sense I will continue to be against it.

That bill wasn't even presented right. Remember, "pass this but don't read it"?

it has been wrong from the get go. To me, as I said earlier, BO is a wolf in sheep's clothing.

There are just too many things that are not right. Even Bill Clinton said it should not be passed till some of the errors were fixed.

jerry-g
09-21-2013, 03:05 PM
This reminds me of a college test we were to take that was 100 questions.
The instructor spent the first 15 mins having us correct all the errors on
the exam, leaving us just 45 to complete it. Thank God my buddy jumped
up and ran down to the Deans office and brought him back. She was told
she could not give the exam because we did not have enough time to read
the questions, let alone, answer them. They have to give you time to do
the answer part. Isn't it amazing how many dumb asses get to be in charge
of important things in our lives?

mostpost
09-21-2013, 04:35 PM
from Obama's speech to congress in 2009 (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/10/us/politics/10obama.text.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0);

try again.
Are you really that literal minded? Obamacare will add thirty million to the rolls of the insured over the next decade. That is in the CBO report. What Obama said in a speech to Congress is irrelevant; especially when you misinterpret it.

fast4522
09-21-2013, 04:47 PM
Watch and see.

mostpost
09-21-2013, 04:48 PM
When Tommy Thompson was in charge of hhs he gave a speech at Brookfield and he said that private hospitals, (run for profit), had way better stats than any non-profit hospital.

In other words the quality of care is significantly higher and so are the results.

I still maintain that with more people paying in the rates should go down. The fact that they are not leaves me to think the PFC is getting boned again.

Until I see something that really makes sense I will continue to be against it.

That bill wasn't even presented right. Remember, "pass this but don't read it"?

it has been wrong from the get go. To me, as I said earlier, BO is a wolf in sheep's clothing.

There are just too many things that are not right. Even Bill Clinton said it should not be passed till some of the errors were fixed.
That is not what Bill Clinton said at all. :bang: :bang: No bill is ever perfect. Clinton said that instead of repealing the entire bill because of a few imperfections, opponents should work to fix those imperfections. Of course the Tea Party is not interested in a better health care law. They are interested in destroying Barack Obama.

Dave Schwartz
09-21-2013, 04:50 PM
No credibility, MP.

Clocker
09-21-2013, 04:52 PM
What Obama said in a speech to Congress is irrelevant

QFT. Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn from time to time.

johnhannibalsmith
09-21-2013, 04:58 PM
Are you really that literal minded? ...

Raising the debt ceiling has nothing to do with adding more debt. :lol:

Clocker
09-21-2013, 05:02 PM
Raising the debt ceiling has nothing to do with adding more debt. :lol:

Obama said that in a speech, so he obviously didn't mean it.

Tom
09-21-2013, 05:29 PM
http://video.foxnews.com/v/2683712765001/tea-party-environmental-activists-join-forces/

mostie, you spew out the party line pretty good.
To bad you have clue what you are talking about.
Tea Party = good for America.
Obama = good for Obama
AHCA = deep dodo for America

Go study.

PaceAdvantage
09-21-2013, 07:17 PM
In any case, we should not have for profit hospitals. The purpose of a hospital should be to cure sick people, not provide a corporate profit. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh my goodness...thank you for the laugh...I mean, I should expect this kind of thing from you, but every now and then, you get me with a zinger... :lol:

Robert Goren
09-21-2013, 07:24 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh my goodness...thank you for the laugh...I mean, I should expect this kind of thing from you, but every now and then, you get me with a zinger... :lol: A question out of curiosity. In this part of the country almost all hospitals are non-profit. Off the top of my head I could not name one for-profit hospital. Is that the case where you live? Open to anyone and everyone to answer.

PaceAdvantage
09-21-2013, 07:26 PM
Don't know and don't care.

Anyone who thinks a "for profit" entity should be eliminated simply because it is "for profit" should be laughed at...IMO.

Tom
09-21-2013, 08:46 PM
OMG....can theses two be for real?
NO ONE is that obtuse, are they?
You guys......pretending to be dumber than dirt....good one.
Ouch, my leg hurts from you two pulling it!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Clocker
09-21-2013, 09:00 PM
Off the top of my head I could not name one for-profit hospital. Is that the case where you live? Open to anyone and everyone to answer.

I looked this up recently, and as I remember, nationally about 60% of hospitals are non-profit corporations (many with religious affiliations), 20% government, and 20% for-profit corporations.

A lot of news articles of late indicate a trend toward vertical integration in the for-profit sector. Hospitals are buying medical practices from groups of doctors, and insurance companies are buying medical practices and hospitals. Faced with the uncertainty and increased regulation of ObamaCare, many doctors are getting out of private practice and becoming salaried employees of private hospitals and clinics. Insurance companies are finding that they have better control of costs and cut down on record keeping through integration.

JustRalph
09-21-2013, 09:47 PM
Having worked for two non profit hospitals in my lifetime, most recently near Baltimore, non profit is a misnomer. They are masters at hiding their profits. They get great benefit from declaring themselves "non profit" and they take advantage of it.

Clocker
09-21-2013, 11:20 PM
Having worked for two non profit hospitals in my lifetime, most recently near Baltimore, non profit is a misnomer. They are masters at hiding their profits. They get great benefit from declaring themselves "non profit" and they take advantage of it.

"Non-profit" is a legal status under IRS rules. It has nothing to do with reality.

JustRalph
09-22-2013, 03:19 AM
"Non-profit" is a legal status under IRS rules. It has nothing to do with reality.

thus my comment

"They get great benefit from declaring themselves "non profit" and they take advantage of it."

I know what it means. I also have sat in a meeting with a couple of vice presidents discussing how to hide money, and not really spend it. So it can be "available internally, later" was their term.

fast4522
09-22-2013, 07:00 AM
Here lays the real problem, the middle class picks up the tab.
There is no way to even it out to the poor or rich, the poor can't pay and the rich won't pay. Everything in the law hits the middle class directly, the perfect target. In January the pain will start to grow in costs to the middle class, and that is just the start to part. This shit storm is worth every bit of opposition now because during a government shutdown much less is spent too. The pressure that a President faces during a shutdown builds to the point than any President will come to a negotiating table.

HUSKER55
09-22-2013, 11:17 AM
WHICH one of you bankers wants to raise my credit limit?