PDA

View Full Version : Tracphones

Tom
09-19-2013, 11:12 PM
Anyone using one?
I am looking - again - at getting one and dumping the monthly contract BS.
MP3 player, camera, video, web access....looks good for not an arm and a leg.
How good is the web part - small screen, must be limiting on what you can do?

dartman51
09-20-2013, 12:19 AM
Anyone using one?
I am looking - again - at getting one and dumping the monthly contract BS.
MP3 player, camera, video, web access....looks good for not an arm and a leg.
How good is the web part - small screen, must be limiting on what you can do?

Tom, I have been using Tracphones for several years. I just recently switched to a smart phone. Samsung Galaxy SII, it has a 4.52 inch screen. I watch ESPN on it while i'm waiting at the doctors office. It is full HD, I have even been on this site with it. I have Straight Talk service, with their smart phone service, you are actually getting AT&T signal. I pay $50 pr 30 days for unlimited everything. I purchased the phone on Ebay for $127, at the time, they were over $300 in stores. I'm satisfied with mine. Oh, I almost forgot. I can also watch and bet the ponies on it to. Twin Spires has a mobile site, just for smart phones. :ThmbUp:

JustRalph
09-20-2013, 05:14 AM
https://ting.com/

These guys have a decent rep........but fyi, they use the Sprint Network

xtb
09-20-2013, 08:12 AM
Tom, look at Virgin Mobile for under $35/month, no contract. They use Sprint's network.

iceknight
09-20-2013, 08:39 AM
https://ting.com/

These guys have a decent rep........but fyi, they use the Sprint Network this seems like a good one..

there are a couple of others who are month to month (no contract) who roam with AT&T

Airvoice (https://www.airvoicewireless.com/PlansA.aspx) ,Joltmobile (https://joltmobile.com) (I use this one's $40/mo plan -unlimited call/text in US with 1 GB data allotted in 500MB+500MB if you cross it) and a bunch of international minutes. You just pay for 1 month at a time...I am happy with Jolt and they have reliable 24 hr customer service - mostly in my accent (indian haha)..but it's professional and fast ;)

There is also Net10 a little more well known name.

By the way for almost all of these companies, if you buy the SIM card from the store or the company it is 5-8 but if you buy on ebay - a few days before you need it, it is only $1 . But you have to plan ahead...

Tom
09-20-2013, 09:20 AM
What I like about the Tracphone is you buy cards for whatever your needs are. I don't use many minutes.

TexasDolly
09-20-2013, 09:27 AM
What I like about the Tracphone is you buy cards for whatever your needs are. I don't use many minutes.
Tom, checkout the LG 840g on Amazon etc . It is a touchscreen
with TRIPLE MINUTES for the life of the phone. Saw one with
600 minutes for 90 days for $ 54 or the phone only is around
$35. A 200 minute card is $ 40 for 90 days ,after tripling you get the 600 minutes.
TD

michiken
09-20-2013, 10:26 AM
I don't use smartphones because I am online most of the day.... email suits my purposes.

I had an ATT pay as you go phone for years. When I started the service it was owned by Cingular. It was .10 cents per minute and .05 cents for text messages. Earlier this year they went to .20 cents per minute and .15 cents per text AND started charging a $1 network access fee every day that the phone was used. Check to see if Tracphone rapes you with this network access fee, it eats up your prepaid cards pretty fast.

I recently switched to MetroPCS. My plan is $25 per month unlimited calls and texts (no data, no web). No contracts and the basic phone was $50.

This works fine for me even though its prolly only 3G. Metro does not advertise this basic service, but I suggest visiting a local store to see if you can still get it. The coverage for my area is pretty good, no dropped calls or cut-outs.

Ken

MJC922
09-21-2013, 08:59 PM

This is true. I had one for several years but the issue I had was the minutes expired unless you added a card with yet more minutes to it at some interval, I don't recall how often. I never checked the thing and kept letting it expire, kept having to buy cards and in the end I told my wife let's look for other options. She's the phone person in the house so she put me on her plan with the cheapest phone. Worked out to be the same money, a few bucks more or less per year.

plainolebill
09-21-2013, 09:29 PM
I use the T Mobile prepaid plan. I initially bought 1000 min for $100, those minutes are good for a year and will roll over if you buy even $10 worth of more time. This year I forgot when the minutes expired and had to buy another $100 worth. :confused: I still had probably 800 minutes left that were lost. :mad: