PDA

View Full Version : Golf - pure swings

raybo
09-18-2013, 08:49 PM
How many "pure" golf swings have you made in your life? Is there one specific swing that stands out in your mind as being truly a pure, perfect swing, for you?

Personally, I have only had one really pure swing in my 40+ years of playing golf. That swing felt perfect, the tempo, the flow of the backswing and downswing, the effortless feeling, the sweet feel at contact, the slight draw from just outside the target line back to the target line, knowing exactly where the ball would land, etc.. Sure I've hit many great shots in my life, but none that felt as perfect as that one. I've never experienced that feeling since, and that was back in the mid 80s.

Greyfox
09-18-2013, 09:08 PM
None, excluding putts.

If a ball I strike goes anywhere near where I want it to go, that is the result of a series of compensating errors.

You'd probably enjoy Michael Murphy's book Golf in the Kingdom, if you haven't read it already.

burnsy
09-18-2013, 09:25 PM
I've always been athletic so i have a couple every round. I'm older now and not as healthy so golf is all i can play for sports. Yesterday i made one from about 70 yards with my 9 iron.....bounced once hit the pin and sunk it. The reason i suck at golf is it happens like 3 times a round (where i hit one perfect). Theres about 5 times (a game) i'm looking in the woods for my ball or hitting one so bad that it goes 50 yards off the tee. Then lets not even talk about my 4 putt holes.....:lol: . I just can't be consistant at that freaking game, drives me nuts...ever seen Caddyshack? One hole i look like Chevy Chase the next one i'm Rodney Dangerfield....that game pisses me off all the time.....i have talent (for being 50) but i can't get the hang hitting the ball the same way every time.

raybo
09-18-2013, 09:44 PM
I've always been athletic so i have a couple every round. I'm older now and not as healthy so golf is all i can play for sports. Yesterday i made one from about 70 yards with my 9 iron.....bounced once hit the pin and sunk it. The reason i suck at golf is it happens like 3 times a round (where i hit one perfect). Theres about 5 times (a game) i'm looking in the woods for my ball or hitting one so bad that it goes 50 yards off the tee. Then lets not even talk about my 4 putt holes.....:lol: . I just can't be consistant at that freaking game, drives me nuts...ever seen Caddyshack? One hole i look like Chevy Chase the next one i'm Rodney Dangerfield....that game pisses me off all the time.....i have talent (for being 50) but i can't get the hang hitting the ball the same way every time.

I think we can all relate to that. I also have always been an athlete, and I too have made shots that "seemed" perfect, but only one "felt" perfect. Every segment of the swing was in perfect sync, linked together seamlessly, fluid, and effortless. Its more the feel that I'm speaking of, rather than the result. A hole in one has a great result, but did it "feel" perfect, or did it just go to the right place and end up in the hole. As I said, I've hit many great shots, but none that felt like that one. One shot in thousands of shots and decades of play, seems unlikely to most, but it is true.

Delta Cone
09-18-2013, 10:30 PM
How many "pure" golf swings have you made in your life? Is there one specific swing that stands out in your mind as being truly a pure, perfect swing, for you?

No one swing stands out. I have been playing about 30 years and have been lucky enough to record two holes-in-one.

I am honestly not sure I would even recognize a perfect swing if I made one. Too fine a line for me.

I would classify my swing spectrum like this:
Great
Good
OK
Bad
What in the hell was that?

I suppose the only thing better than a "great" swing would be "perfect" or "pure" as you say. Can't recall one that knocked my socks off to that degree.

raybo
09-18-2013, 10:33 PM
No one swing stands out. I have been playing about 30 years and have been lucky enough to record two holes-in-one.

I am honestly not sure I would even recognize a perfect swing if I made one. Too fine a line for me.

I would classify my swing spectrum like this:
Great
Good
OK
Bad
What in the hell was that?

I suppose the only thing better than a "great" swing would be "perfect" or "pure" as you say. Can't recall one that knocked my socks off to that degree.

Yeah, if someone had ever asked me this question, before that swing, I would have probably said sure I've had lots of them. But, once I experienced that swing, I knew that was the perfect one.

Delta Cone
09-18-2013, 10:46 PM
You are now "cursed" to spend the rest of your life trying to repeat it.

I'll be out there this Sunday looking for it. My beloved Bears play at night and the forecast looks good, can't wait to play.

I went to Conway Farms this past weekend to watch the pros in the BMW Championship. I saw plenty of swings there I would classify as "perfect." Lol.

raybo
09-18-2013, 11:17 PM
You are now "cursed" to spend the rest of your life trying to repeat it.

I'll be out there this Sunday looking for it. My beloved Bears play at night and the forecast looks good, can't wait to play.

I went to Conway Farms this past weekend to watch the pros in the BMW Championship. I saw plenty of swings there I would classify as "perfect." Lol.

Yeah, makes me wonder if those pros still feel it, or have they had it happen enough that they don't even notice when it does happen.

DJofSD
09-19-2013, 12:19 AM
Right now, I'd say I've had 3 pure swings. All while I was in the zone, I was a witness to what was happening, no conscious thought, just a swing which did not have to have any "in swing though" -- it just happened.

raybo
09-19-2013, 12:22 AM
Right now, I'd say I've had 3 pure swings. All while I was in the zone, I was a witness to what was happening, no conscious thought, just a swing which did not have to have any "in swing though" -- it just happened.

Exactly! It just happened. No particular thought process going on, just another swing. Then - bang! - you'll never forget it.

DJofSD
09-19-2013, 12:25 AM
Exactly! It just happened. No particular thought process going on, just another swing. Then - bang! - you'll never forget it.
Exactly.

The most recent one was last week. I sent a moderate length email to my brother (also chases the white ball) describing the experience. I finished up the email with "and this is why I play golf."

raybo
09-19-2013, 01:48 AM
I don't know about other golfers, but if you have never felt that feeling, swinging a golf club, I am truly sorry. It was, for me, indescribable, and for once I knew what it must be like to be a professional.

TJDave
09-19-2013, 02:17 AM
I've had lots of pure swings but I used to play almost daily so over time they add up. Unfortunately, most were on the range.

Once I hit a succession of pure drives, must have been a dozen or more, each center cut within ten yards of each other. I actually had an audience by the time I finished. Went out after...hit every green in regulation and carded an 83. :faint:

Golf will drive you crazy.

Marshall Bennett
09-19-2013, 06:50 AM
1. Fred Couples (best on the planet)

2. Ernie Els (next best by far)

I once played a lot of golf, but never found a pure or perfect swing. If I had I know I'd still be playing, and often.

Jay Trotter
09-19-2013, 07:17 AM
I've often heard that a player named Moe Norman had the purest swing of all time. I got to see him play back in the 70's but I was too young to know what I was looking at.

He was a very eccentric fellow who apparently suffered from some mental challenges.

Greyfox
09-19-2013, 09:00 AM
I've often heard that a player named Moe Norman had the purest swing of all time. I got to see him play back in the 70's but I was too young to know what I was looking at.

He was a very eccentric fellow who apparently suffered from some mental challenges.

Not quite true.

Ben Hogan and others said that Moe Norman was the finest striker of the ball they ever met.
They never said that he had a "pure swing."
In fact, Moe Norman's swing didn't look pretty in any way or shape.
By the way, I saw Moe play in the 70's.
He didn't waste any time.
He simply walked to the ball and hit it.
If you blinked you'd miss it.

Greyfox
09-19-2013, 11:08 AM
Moe Norman was a true "eccentric."
He marched to his own drummer and his non-conformity was never truly welcomed on the pro tour. Guys who slept in their clothes in a car weren't particularly appreciated out there.

Highly sensitive, he tended to brood and show disinterest in playing major golf competitions. Although when he wanted to play, he could strike the ball with the best of them and several including Hogan thought he was the purest striker they had ever seen. Dead center every time down the fairway.

Later in life the founder of Natural Golf gave Moe a monthly stipend to front for that company, which is still around today.
Below is a clinic given by Moe when he was 70.
Koua6RTd6qE

raybo
09-19-2013, 11:29 AM
I think some are confusing good players and good shots with the feeling of a pure swing. A pure swing isn't some swing that people say is the way everyone should swing the club. "Pure" varies with the individual, how one's own body interacts with the club and ball. A "pure" swing could look very ugly, but to the player it is perfect, because the body interacted with the club and ball perfectly. Obviously some of you have never felt a pure swing because if you had you would know what it is, to you. I've played some very good golf during my life, playing to low single digit handicaps for several years, and yet, I have only felt 1 pure swing in all that time.

cj
09-19-2013, 12:22 PM
I have a pure swing, as pure as they come...pure ugly to look at that is.

But I can still break 80 on most tracks these days when I get a chance to play.

raybo
09-19-2013, 12:29 PM

Yeah, that's the problem for me too, getting to play. The closest course for me is about 15 miles or so, which in itself isn't a problem, but getting there, getting on the course, and playing a round behind a bunch of local farmers means well over 4 hours, and 4 hours out of a day, for me, is a lot. So, I get to play 2 or 3 times per year and usually shoot mid to high 80s, on a good day. But, during that play I still hit some pretty good shots, but nothing even remotely close to "pure".

DJofSD
09-19-2013, 12:34 PM

Jim Furyk, is that you? :)

Marshall Bennett
09-19-2013, 12:35 PM
I think some are confusing good players and good shots with the feeling of a pure swing. A pure swing isn't some swing that people say is the way everyone should swing the club. "Pure" varies with the individual, how one's own body interacts with the club and ball. A "pure" swing could look very ugly, but to the player it is perfect, because the body interacted with the club and ball perfectly. Obviously some of you have never felt a pure swing because if you had you would know what it is, to you. I've played some very good golf during my life, playing to low single digit handicaps for several years, and yet, I have only felt 1 pure swing in all that time.
I know exactly what you're talking about. It still doesn't make it a good fluid swing, one which you would need to compete and be a truly good golfer.
The individual's "pure" swing you seem to refer to would be difficult to maintain on a regular basis because the fundamentals aren't there. Jim Furyk and Paul Azzinger are exceptions to the rule, but are rare.

Bettowin
09-20-2013, 01:19 AM
When I get asked about my handicap my response is "my swing":) I almost broke 80 for the first time in 20+ years last week but lipped out a putt that would have done it on 18.

Maybe not pure, but I have my two best shots in a row and I will never duplicate again was on a par 5 hole about 510 or 520. Couldn't hit a driver to save my ass but could kill a 2 iron. Hit the 2 iron off the tee then 7 iron from the fairway at about 200. Right in the hole for a double eagle.

Should have quit then:)

raybo
09-20-2013, 01:47 AM
Believe it or not, I've played, as I said, 40+ years and have been at times a pretty good amateur player, but in all that time I have never made a double eagle or a hole in one. My father in law played to 110-120 every time he played but had 2 holes in one. Never did figure out how that happens. :bang:

TJDave
09-20-2013, 03:39 AM
To me, the pure swing is effortless. I get no sense of making contact...at all. The ball iseems pushed by the clubhead. Time slows considerably. The ball goes much further, also.

In my mind's eye the pure swing feels like watching Ernie Els hit.

Is this what you mean?

cj
09-20-2013, 10:24 AM
Believe it or not, I've played, as I said, 40+ years and have been at times a pretty good amateur player, but in all that time I have never made a double eagle or a hole in one. My father in law played to 110-120 every time he played but had 2 holes in one. Never did figure out how that happens. :bang:

I've had two. The first one was when I had only been playing a little while and could barely crack 120. It was a 150 yard whole and I hit a 3 Wood with a big slice and it rolled about 30 yards...pure ugly.

The next one was last year, and my daughter was walking with me and I was playing with two guys I didn't know, so I was glad she was there. Funny thing was it was the same distance, but this time it was a 9 iron that actually hit past the hole and spun back in.

wiffleball whizz
09-20-2013, 12:04 PM

U can have that action anytime you want.....I'll take 2 a side and take my chances and I shoot in the 90s or lower when I have too.....

Break 80 on most tracks.....undercoverbrags.com :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And as always I'm local so it's not air I blow.....instead of smoking u in golf I'd rather ride coattails at the track!!!

cj
09-20-2013, 04:47 PM
U can have that action anytime you want.....I'll take 2 a side and take my chances and I shoot in the 90s or lower when I have too.....

Break 80 on most tracks.....undercoverbrags.com :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And as always I'm local so it's not air I blow.....instead of smoking u in golf I'd rather ride coattails at the track!!!

So all I have to do is shoot 43 a side, giving you a 90? Come on man...

I'm not that good, but I play with some really good players, so I've learned to keep it pretty clean. No penalties, no OBs, and no giving shots away around the green. Anybody that learns to do that can shoot a decent score.

wiffleball whizz
09-20-2013, 05:41 PM
So all I have to do is shoot 43 a side, giving you a 90? Come on man...

I'm not that good, but I play with some really good players, so I've learned to keep it pretty clean. No penalties, no OBs, and no giving shots away around the green. Anybody that learns to do that can shoot a decent score.

43 a side when the heat is on isnt easy.....

Bet a 215 bowler he can't shoot 200 by himself watch him gag....gotta throw a double to do it

And I wouldn't take 2 a side I'd get buried.....your father told me your quite the athlete.....I'll find easier marks out there to hustle!!!!

Laurel with your father and brother tmrw should be a great time!!!!!!

raybo
09-20-2013, 08:49 PM
Yeah, I was gonna say, 43 a side is about what I shoot now. And, from what I've heard here, CJ shoots much better than that. He'd have to completely blow up to not shoot low 80s.

Greyfox
09-20-2013, 09:28 PM
Hey, I break 80's most days too.
(Usually with several holes to go.):rolleyes:

wiffleball whizz
09-20-2013, 10:10 PM
Yeah, I was gonna say, 43 a side is about what I shoot now. And, from what I've heard here, CJ shoots much better than that. He'd have to completely blow up to not shoot low 80s.

Cj becoming a legend very fast...retired Air Force, golf legend tennis prodigy, possibly best handicapper in country........

Meanwhile I hang out with cjs dad and have heard the "Craig went to rosecroft and put $50 win on 12/1 and dropped him to 2/1" story a minimum of 5 times :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: