PDA

View Full Version : Fort Larned, final prep at Churchill

Grits
09-17-2013, 10:48 AM
on Sept. 28th in the Homecoming Classic.

http://www.drf.com/news/churchill-downs-fort-larned-stay-home-final-breeders-cup-prep

The Grade 1, $1 million Jockey Club Gold Cup, which is run at 1 1/4 miles, is expected to be the final prep for a number of BC Classic candidates, including Alpha, Cross Traffic, Flat Out, Orb, and Palace Malice.

the little guy
09-17-2013, 10:56 AM
So the BC Classic winner is held out of the race that used to be the most important handicap race in the country for a newly created, and ungraded, race.

Whoopee!

Grits
09-17-2013, 11:10 AM
I tried hard to be discreet. You "bull in a china shop". :lol:

classhandicapper
09-17-2013, 11:52 AM
Fort Larned's form has been so in and out this year, I think he's had something minor wrong with him all year. He wasn't this in and out last year. Some of his races were better than others, but last year a lot of that had to do with trip, bias etc...

I don't think this is the worst strategic move ever even though I'm sure fans would rather see him in the JCGC.

He's probably not 100%, they know it, and see no reason to run the JCGC to get his ass kicked again just to say they took on the best horses. So they are giving him an easy prep hoping to get him closer to 100% and have a chance at a peak on BC day.

cj
09-17-2013, 11:53 AM
Sounds like they are trying to find an easy spot to hopefully get a win and proceed to the BC. Doubtful this horse has any shot in the BC this year anyway, and I think the connections know it.

aaron
09-17-2013, 12:21 PM
So the BC Classic winner is held out of the race that used to be the most important handicap race in the country for a newly created, and ungraded, race.

Whoopee!
The Breeders Cup races have made every other race seem secondary. One good day of racing is helping to destroy the sport.
These days,it seems horse are entered not to lose,rather than to compete and show their greatness.
Imagine if Affirmed and Alydar avoided each other.

Tom
09-17-2013, 12:40 PM
Why don't they all just go to the show horse circuit and then they can all wear their pretty ribbons and not get their hoof dirty actually proving
themselves in competition?

Wuss Racing.
:sleeping::sleeping::sleeping::sleeping:

menifee
09-17-2013, 02:36 PM
Sounds like they are trying to find an easy spot to hopefully get a win and proceed to the BC. Doubtful this horse has any shot in the BC this year anyway, and I think the connections know it.

I still think his Stephen Foster was the best race by an older horse this year. He is going to be way overlooked in the BC Classic and will represent good value as there is a chance he could return to that form. On his good days, he is the best older horse in the country. He just needs to have one of those good days.

Robert Fischer
09-17-2013, 03:21 PM
I still think his Stephen Foster was the best race by an older horse this year. He is going to be way overlooked in the BC Classic and will represent good value as there is a chance he could return to that form. On his good days, he is the best older horse in the country. He just needs to have one of those good days.

I agree with you on his Stephen Foster effort.

The goal for this horse is to get into that good groove again for the BC.
In that regard, I don't have a problem with this prep.

JustRalph
09-17-2013, 03:24 PM

I hope they bring him and he takes huge money. You realize we just put him in the winners circle, right? :lol:

cj
09-17-2013, 03:55 PM
I hope they bring him and he takes huge money. You realize we just put him in the winners circle, right? :lol:

My opinion, the best way to prep horses for very tough races, which the Classic will be, is in a very tough race. Taking the cupcake route rarely works.

andtheyreoff
09-17-2013, 04:16 PM
Strange move, considering the purse is $175,000. That's less than the top 2 finishers in the JCGC get, and first at Churchill is only $5,000 more than third place at Belmont.

Stillriledup
09-17-2013, 05:10 PM
They're just trying to win, some owners sacrifice purse size and prestige for an easier spot.

Valuist
09-17-2013, 06:31 PM
He didn't duck anybody last year. And while his Stephen Foster was impressive, he had one race where he dumped the rider, and his Oaklawn Handicap was lousy. Is it really so difficult to ship from Louisville to New York? Now who is going to bother running against him at Churchill? What can he get out of that race?

classhandicapper
09-17-2013, 07:10 PM
The Breeders Cup races have made every other race seem secondary. One good day of racing is helping to destroy the sport.
These days,it seems horse are entered not to lose,rather than to compete and show their greatness.
Imagine if Affirmed and Alydar avoided each other.

I agree with this.

I love the Breeder's Cup for multiple reasons, but the way things are organized now, there is so much money and so much weight put on them for year end honors, it has turned a lot of other Grade 1 races into weak versions of what they used to be years ago. Everyone wants to get to the end of the year fresh and ready for peak. So they skip races, avoid major confrontations etc...

classhandicapper
09-17-2013, 07:16 PM
Now who is going to bother running against him at Churchill? What can he get out of that race?

No one important and that's exactly what they want.

Like I said, IMO they must KNOW he's less than 100% and don't want him to get killed in the JCGC. The want to get a win and start moving him in the right direction to have some chance of getting a peak later.

It's not ideal, but assuming my speculation is correct, I'd rather win a 175K race against no one than finish next to last against someone.

Tom
09-17-2013, 10:14 PM
He didn't duck anybody last year. And while his Stephen Foster was impressive, he had one race where he dumped the rider, and his Oaklawn Handicap was lousy. Is it really so difficult to ship from Louisville to New York? Now who is going to bother running against him at Churchill? What can he get out of that race?

His last win?
The horse is done - he probably will lose this one.
If he wins, watch closely for signs he is done.