PDA

View Full Version : Are The Steelers Done ??

cj's dad
09-17-2013, 12:26 AM
Looking very old to me. I think the ravens only competition in the division is the Bungles. I tried to root for the Steelers, I honestly did, but every time I went there, I gagged and had to take a deep breath. Almost passed out a few times. What a tough situation to be in.

Robert Fischer
09-17-2013, 12:27 AM
They look done to me. :(

Ben can still lead and pass, and their defense is about average with some character, but that's about it.

PhantomOnTour
09-17-2013, 12:52 AM
Yes, the Steelers are done as far as this season is concerned. But then again, so are the Ravens....this is their "medicine" season after winning the Super Bowl last year.
Take it.

Did Ray Rice spit on that guy from the Browns?

PICSIX
09-17-2013, 07:05 AM
Yes.

tucker6
09-17-2013, 07:41 AM
As a Steeler fan, the answer is yes. Most Steeler fans thought this would be a down year. Despite their success, both Tomlin and Colbert (GM) will be on the hot seat at the end of year for poor drafting and poor development of player personnel. It is looking more and more that Tomlin/Colbert were winning with Cowher's draft picks. The further we are removed from that era, the lower the quality in all directions seems to get. Unfortunately, we are entering a down cycle that may last a while if allowed to continue.

Ravens suck this year too and waaaayy overpaid on Flacco, so I have that to lean on at least. :D

Robert Goren
09-17-2013, 07:54 AM
With what passes as an average defense in the NFL these days, no offense line and split between its all pro Super Bowl QB and the coaching staff, the answer is yes. The genius behind the Steelers offense of a few seasons ago is now the head coach in SD. That became clear last year.

tucker6
09-17-2013, 07:58 AM
With what passes as an average defense in the NFL these days, no offense line and split between its all pro Super Bowl QB and the coaching staff, the answer is yes. The genius behind the Steelers offense of a few seasons ago is now the head coach in SD. That became clear last year.
Arians was and is no genius. Glad he's gone from Pittsburgh, although I will say that he was better than Haley, which isn't saying that much.

Valuist
09-17-2013, 08:06 AM
Actually, he's in Arizona. Denver's former offensive "genius", Mike McCoy, is the coach at San Diego.

Arians did do a great job in Indy last year.

Valuist
09-17-2013, 08:08 AM
As far as the original question, if you aren't a Denver fan, you pretty much can resign yourself to the fate that you won't be going to the Super Bowl this season (if you are an AFC team fan). Maybe Houston has some shot; we'll see in week 4 as they host the Seahawks. But they haven't been overly impressive. At least they looked good in the 4th quarter. New England hasn't looked good at all, struggling to beat teams led by rookie QBs.

Robert Goren
09-17-2013, 08:23 AM
Actually, he's in Arizona. Denver's former offensive "genius", Mike McCoy, is the coach at San Diego.

Arians did do a great job in Indy last year. Opps!

Robert Goren
09-17-2013, 09:13 AM
An offense based on a strong running game is "outdated" in the NFL today. All the rule chances, whether you agree with them or not, favor a high flying air attack. If you don't have one (or a spread option QB), you are toast. Receivers and QBs are just too protected. The book is still out on the spread option, but is not the on old fashion "ground and pound" offenses. The days of riding "The Bus" on every play are long over. It won't even work with a once in decade defense anymore (not that today's Steeler's D could be confused with that). Even the Ravens last year didn't click until they switched from a "Ray Rice" led offense to a Flacco driven one. The thing that gets overlooked today is just how important really good receivers are. Several teams this year are paying the price for that oversight.

burnsy
09-17-2013, 09:45 AM
Only agree with Goren rarely but he is right. If you don't have a few guys that can run and catch or catch and then run........your toast. Tight ends are huge now and they can catch and run........The speedballs go vertical, run and catch. That being said, the best teams are the ones that do those things and can still run when they need to (beast mode) and play defense. Its only been two weeks but the 3 best teams now are probably Seattle, Denver and San Fran. They have the equation. Pittsburg is in that middle mediocre zone....sorry steeler fans.

Valuist
09-17-2013, 10:29 AM
What about Seattle? They are clearly a run first offense. Same with Houston. Both teams CAN pass, but to be successful they both have to run the ball.

Balance still wins, and that's not only offensively but being able to play on the other side of the ball as well.

tucker6
09-17-2013, 10:56 AM
What about Seattle? They are clearly a run first offense. Same with Houston. Both teams CAN pass, but to be successful they both have to run the ball.

Balance still wins, and that's not only offensively but being able to play on the other side of the ball as well.
Balance still wins, but it is no longer 60/40 run balanced, but 65/35 pass balanced. Even today, the Andy Reid 80% pass oriented offenses suffer from the lack of run threat. So you still need the run to keep the defense honest, but I believe that is the main achievement of the running game these days, to add some semblance of balance.

TheEdge07
09-17-2013, 11:14 AM
Nope not done..bad division

Valuist
09-17-2013, 11:41 AM
Balance still wins, but it is no longer 60/40 run balanced, but 65/35 pass balanced. Even today, the Andy Reid 80% pass oriented offenses suffer from the lack of run threat. So you still need the run to keep the defense honest, but I believe that is the main achievement of the running game these days, to add some semblance of balance.

True AND to be able to burn clock when playing on a lead in the 4th quarter.

tucker6
09-17-2013, 12:09 PM
True AND to be able to burn clock when playing on a lead in the 4th quarter.
true as well and I thought of that. I was just too lazy to type any more words at that point in time. :D

rastajenk
09-17-2013, 01:02 PM
In this, The Age of Parity, which ones are good divisions?

TheEdge07
09-17-2013, 01:07 PM

Parity?Predictable no?

New England
Denver
Bengals
Houston
Pitt
Ravens

Dallas or Giants or Washington
Green BAy
Saints
Atlanta
Seattle
Niners

Quagmire
09-17-2013, 01:10 PM

The NFC West

highnote
09-17-2013, 03:00 PM
Steelers only allowed 36 points over two games. That is pretty good defense by NFL standards.

Roethlisberger can still avoid tackles in the pocket. The will work out the bugs. Never underestimate the Pittsburgh franchise.

JustRalph
09-17-2013, 03:27 PM

A bad division that makes Cincy look better than they are. But, Cincy could win it by a couple of games with just slight improvement.

rastajenk
09-17-2013, 04:30 PM
The "slight improvement" being Dalton hitting a few more wide-open receivers. :eek:

Rise Over Run
09-17-2013, 06:01 PM
The most over-rated, fickle, fan base in all of sports has already packed it in two games into the season. I love it. Will make stays at the in-laws later this year all that more enjoyable. :lol: :jump: :lol:

PhantomOnTour
09-17-2013, 06:06 PM
The most over-rated, fickle, fan base in all of sports has already packed it in two games into the season. I love it. Will make stays at the in-laws later this year all that more enjoyable. :lol: :jump: :lol:
Overrated fan base? say what...
Okey dokey buddy

ldiatone
09-17-2013, 09:09 PM
wait! are you still married to a pittsburgher???? can't get away can you!
live with it!

cj's dad
09-17-2013, 09:42 PM
It's obvious that that the NFL does not want a repeat champ. Look at the schedule; the champs face the toughest schedule in the league. Will the ravens repeat ? No way.

PhantomOnTour
09-17-2013, 09:47 PM
It's obvious that that the NFL does not want a repeat champ. Look at the schedule; the champs face the toughest schedule in the league. Will the ravens repeat ? No way.
But they still won the Super Bowl.
The year after is always kinda surreal - sort of a year of reminiscing, almost like taking as year off as a fan and just honeymooning that SB title.

Next year it will be back to business, but I don't think a playoff berth is out of reach for this team (Baltimore)....the division looks weak.

Rise Over Run
09-17-2013, 09:54 PM
wait! are you still married to a pittsburgher???? can't get away can you!
live with it!
She's from Greene County, which mind as well be part of West Virginia. They are 'burg folk for everything sports related. Anything else and they are country-folk hillbillies.

wiffleball whizz
09-17-2013, 10:31 PM
But they still won the Super Bowl.
The year after is always kinda surreal - sort of a year of reminiscing, almost like taking as year off as a fan and just honeymooning that SB title.

Next year it will be back to business, but I don't think a playoff berth is out of reach for this team (Baltimore)....the division looks weak.

Unless 5-11 is making the playoffs then yes the ravens will be in the playoffs

wiffleball whizz
09-17-2013, 10:32 PM
And Pittsburgh has the most loyal fan base across the country

1. Pitt
2. Dallas
3. Bears?

Hosshead
09-18-2013, 12:56 AM
Steelers only allowed 36 points over two games. That is pretty good defense by NFL standards.

Roethlisberger can still avoid tackles in the pocket. The will work out the bugs. Never underestimate the Pittsburgh franchise.

shhh - Steelers win (at home) over the Bears.

cj's dad
09-18-2013, 04:50 AM

1. Pitt
2. Dallas
3. Bears?

Home of the 0-1 defending champs!!!!

Home of the 1-1 defending champs!!!!

Ftfy

cj
09-18-2013, 07:13 AM

1. Pitt
2. Dallas
3. Bears?

Dallas? That is comical. They aren't top 10.

tucker6
09-18-2013, 07:24 AM
I would have to imagine that loyal (passionate) fan bases should include:

Pittsburgh
Green Bay
Oakland

Say what you will, but any fan that can get behind an Al Davis team these last 20 years deserves some credit. I certainly couldn't have done it, and they do it with passion. I don't include the Patriots, because we've yet to see how that fan base reacts to a downturn. I remember the old Patriot teams, and their fans wore bags on their heads for a time just like the Saints. I think we'll find out that they are fair weather fans.

Now if we're talking financial, then it's Dallas all the way.

cj's dad
09-18-2013, 09:00 AM
The Ravens sell out every game; how much more passionate can you be?

Never been a blackout here and the stadium is a sea of purple on game days.

wiffleball whizz
09-18-2013, 09:17 AM
Dallas? That is comical. They aren't top 10.

National fan base!!!!!! You travel a lot your crazy if u don't think that

Always Dallas Pitt jerseys everywhere and u can't debate that

Rise Over Run
09-18-2013, 09:19 AM
Getting fitted on an annual basis for your authentic Jack Lambert jersey does not make one a loyal fan in my book.

Lame town, lame fans.

As a western PA resident for 4+ years, I can tell you without a doubt that the "Burg" is the most over-hyped "sports town" in the country. Slap on a black and gold leather jacket or Jack Lambert jersey while devouring a chip-chop ham sandwhich or plate of pieroghies and all of a sudden you're an expert on football. Or just tell people you've been a "Stiller Fan for Life". Without a doubt, the most sports IQ-challanged city (actually, region) in the country. Bunch of buffoons, including my in-laws.

I couldn't tell you how many times my brother-in-law brings up "We're blue collar sports fans with a blue-collar team". Newsflash - the average salary for players is above 7 figures (not blue collar), and you make 6 figs working for Lowes (not blue collar). This is the same guy who didn't understand why the Stillers would never use the wishbone offense when Kordell was QB.

I live outside Philly now and don't really care for those teams or fans but I can at least have a legitimate, somewhat intelluctual conversation about football. Same thing for the NY fans in the area. Stiller fans.... it's not even worth the effort.

I feel like I'm repeating myself.... oh wait, I am.

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1179030&postcount=2

And what exactly happened in game 1 versus the Titans? The "most loyal fan-base" was streaming for the exits in the middle of the 4th quarter in a 1 score game.

wiffleball whizz
09-18-2013, 01:27 PM
Starting to think oriole fans are frauds around here.....everybody wearing bird gear and tons of empty seats......and they are cheap seats too........

All the sudden raven fans got there voice back......after then blowout 14-6 brown win........105.7 got them going 15-1

TheEdge07
09-18-2013, 01:33 PM
Getting fitted on an annual basis for your authentic Jack Lambert jersey does not make one a loyal fan in my book.

Lame town, lame fans.

As a western PA resident for 4+ years, I can tell you without a doubt that the "Burg" is the most over-hyped "sports town" in the country. Slap on a black and gold leather jacket or Jack Lambert jersey while devouring a chip-chop ham sandwhich or plate of pieroghies and all of a sudden you're an expert on football. Or just tell people you've been a "Stiller Fan for Life". Without a doubt, the most sports IQ-challanged city (actually, region) in the country. Bunch of buffoons, including my in-laws.

I couldn't tell you how many times my brother-in-law brings up "We're blue collar sports fans with a blue-collar team". Newsflash - the average salary for players is above 7 figures (not blue collar), and you make 6 figs working for Lowes (not blue collar). This is the same guy who didn't understand why the Stillers would never use the wishbone offense when Kordell was QB.

I live outside Philly now and don't really care for those teams or fans but I can at least have a legitimate, somewhat intelluctual conversation about football. Same thing for the NY fans in the area. Stiller fans.... it's not even worth the effort.

I feel like I'm repeating myself.... oh wait, I am.

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1179030&postcount=2

And what exactly happened in game 1 versus the Titans? The "most loyal fan-base" was streaming for the exits in the middle of the 4th quarter in a 1 score game.

Steeler fan called the Vinnie/Cook show and he said "the Rooney rule has killed the Steeler organization":lol:

Rise Over Run
09-18-2013, 02:19 PM
Steeler fan called the Vinnie/Cook show and he said "the Rooney rule has killed the Steeler organization":lol:
Classic!

cj
09-19-2013, 10:50 PM
National fan base!!!!!! You travel a lot your crazy if u don't think that

Always Dallas Pitt jerseys everywhere and u can't debate that

That doesn't make them passionate. Pittsburgh, yes, but Dallas? No freaking way. The "wine and cheese" crowd is so true in Dallas, and those that aren't are mostly a bunch of fair weather bandwagon jumpers. (I'm not talking about those from Dallas that have moved)

wiffleball whizz
09-19-2013, 11:09 PM
That doesn't make them passionate. Pittsburgh, yes, but Dallas? No freaking way. The "wine and cheese" crowd is so true in Dallas, and those that aren't are mostly a bunch of fair weather bandwagon jumpers. (I'm not talking about those from Dallas that have moved)

I think your getting what I'm saying mixed up.....;Dallas fans are assholes in general but them and the steelers have a fan base that's spread over the county......

They are fake fans but those 2 teams have more fans across the county then anybody else.......along with the trash raiders

cj
09-19-2013, 11:15 PM
I think your getting what I'm saying mixed up.....;Dallas fans are assholes in general but them and the steelers have a fan base that's spread over the county......

They are fake fans but those 2 teams have more fans across the county then anybody else.......along with the trash raiders

You said "most passionate", not "most".

wiffleball whizz
09-19-2013, 11:21 PM
You said "most passionate", not "most".

Words mixed up.......def not passionate

Maybe most passionate is buffalo....;;can't say Seattle when they were in kingdome tons of Empty seats

cj
09-19-2013, 11:27 PM
Words mixed up.......def not passionate

Maybe most passionate is buffalo....;;can't say Seattle when they were in kingdome tons of Empty seats

Redskins fans are pretty darn passionate too, and I hate the Redskins. Chiefs fans as well.

wiffleball whizz
09-19-2013, 11:52 PM
Redskins fans are pretty darn passionate too, and I hate the Redskins. Chiefs fans as well.

Agree

Valuist
09-20-2013, 02:08 PM
Has the Steeler hate gone too far? 87% of tickets written on the Bears, who are laying pts on the road. I'm going to wait and see but if the public pushes this line to 3, I'll be on the home dog.

Just not THAT sold on the Bears. Cincy really outplayed them in week 1, and they needed another closing seconds score to pull out a win at home against Minnesota.

FWIW, first week in history both the Steelers and Ravens have both been home underdogs.

Robert Fischer
09-20-2013, 02:54 PM
Pittsburgh has a slightly below average roster. They also have a QB, who on his day is in the 'elite' conversation.
The NFL is such a pass oriented league, that the Steelers have the ability to win their share of games.

I just don't trust the offensive coordinator at this point. He has yet to put Ben in position to throw for 350 yards in either of the first 2 games.

If I knew for a fact that they would throw down-field, and that they would use 1st Down as a vertical passing down, then sure - I would bet them.

I'm also about 3 for 15 in football picks this year, so take this with a grain of salt! :D

Valuist
09-20-2013, 03:05 PM
Pittsburgh HAS to be able to run the ball. Their main deep threat is gone, so defenses can sit back rush the passer and expect the pass. Dwyer isn't a star, but he's capable, and I expect them to try to establish the run. They have to have some degree of balance, otherwise they are going to continue to lose.

Robert Fischer
09-20-2013, 03:33 PM
Pittsburgh HAS to be able to run the ball. Their main deep threat is gone, so defenses can sit back rush the passer and expect the pass. Dwyer isn't a star, but he's capable, and I expect them to try to establish the run. They have to have some degree of balance, otherwise they are going to continue to lose.

I agree. I think vertical passing is the best way for this team to open up the running game.

1st down has been a crucial down.

Valuist
09-20-2013, 04:11 PM
They still have Big Ben. Pouncey is out, but the guy they picked up from the Titans is getting more experience every week. Bears only have 1 sack in first 2 games. Does Mike Wallace make THAT big of a difference? I don't think so. He has some big games, but other times he doesn't show up. Heath Miller is expected to be back. Le'veon Bell expected to play. Liking Steelers more and more that I look at it.

Rise Over Run
09-20-2013, 08:36 PM
Big Ben is still around, but he was a disappointment last year and appears to be struggling this year. Pouncey is out for the year and his replacement lacks experience. The Bears only have TWO sacks, but that is twice the number for the Stillers and they have generated 6 turnovers versus the league trailing Stillers with the goose egg. Mike Wallace was inconsistent the past few seasons, but his departure appears to be a big reason the Stillers are averaging less than 200 yards passing per game. Heath Miller is supposed to play, but he is not the typical 2013 TE and will not help the vertical passing game. Le'veon Bell may play this week, but he can't play ping pong or pool in the locker room and is really pissed off about it. Liking bears more and more that I look at it.

And it should be noted that the Stillers have won a grand total of 2 football games the past 10+ months.

tucker6
09-23-2013, 06:32 AM
Big Ben is still around, but he was a disappointment last year and appears to be struggling this year. Pouncey is out for the year and his replacement lacks experience. The Bears only have TWO sacks, but that is twice the number for the Stillers and they have generated 6 turnovers versus the league trailing Stillers with the goose egg. Mike Wallace was inconsistent the past few seasons, but his departure appears to be a big reason the Stillers are averaging less than 200 yards passing per game. Heath Miller is supposed to play, but he is not the typical 2013 TE and will not help the vertical passing game. Le'veon Bell may play this week, but he can't play ping pong or pool in the locker room and is really pissed off about it. Liking bears more and more that I look at it.

And it should be noted that the Stillers have won a grand total of 2 football games the past 10+ months.
Before Ben got hurt last year, he was having the best season of his career stat-wise. Not sure that you are remembering correctly. He certainly isn't having a stellar start this year, but some of that is attributable to the o-line. That has to be the worst line in the league, and Haley's offensive plan, if he as one, is putrid.

Then let's talk about the run game ...

Then let's talk about the defense having no turnovers after 3 games ...

As a big Steeler fan myself, this year is lost. I predicted 6-10 (outside shot at 8-8) in preseason, but that may have been generous. I don't see many wins left. Chances of GM Colbert surviving are close to nil at this point, and Tomlin staying isn't a given either. The Rooney's can't be happy with this product. Poor drafting and poor player development and poor game planning will give you a team that looks like the 2013 Pittsburgh Steelers.

Valuist
09-23-2013, 08:42 AM
The final score last night was a bit deceptive. With 6 minutes to play, it was a 27-23 game. The Bears had a plus 5 turnover margin. Throwing the ball last night was not a problem for the Steelers. Defensively, they held the Bears to 4.3 yards/play and they held the Titans to a weak 3.6 yards/play in week 1. The problems are turnover margin and running game. Not saying they are good, but one needs to look beyond win-loss record to get a real read on a team.

JustRalph
09-23-2013, 10:23 AM
I heard on ESPN that this is the first time in the history of the NFL that the Giants, Redskins and Steelers are all 0-3..........

interesting.......... no 0-3 team has made it to the Super Bowl in the modern era either..............only 3 have made the playoffs........

wiffleball whizz
09-23-2013, 10:32 AM
1. Denver
2. Chicago
3. Seattle
4. Ne
5. Baltimore (ok cj's dad I saw the light)
6. Miami

6 top teams in nfl

Valuist
09-23-2013, 10:37 AM
1. Denver
2. Chicago
3. Seattle
4. Ne
5. Baltimore (ok cj's dad I saw the light)
6. Miami

6 top teams in nfl

I'm a Bears fan, but no way are they favored over Seattle. Or over San Francisco, even despite the Niners poor play the last two weeks.

1. Seattle 2. Denver 3. San Fran 4. Chicago 5. New England

Robert Goren
09-23-2013, 10:51 AM
The final score last night was a bit deceptive. With 6 minutes to play, it was a 27-23 game. The Bears had a plus 5 turnover margin. Throwing the ball last night was not a problem for the Steelers. Defensively, they held the Bears to 4.3 yards/play and they held the Titans to a weak 3.6 yards/play in week 1. The problems are turnover margin and running game. Not saying they are good, but one needs to look beyond win-loss record to get a real read on a team.It looks like if a team gets down late to the bears and have to throw on every play, they are going for the turn over on every play and they are pretty good at getting them. It will be interesting to see if they can keep it up. It also looks like that may be the way to play defense in the NFL this year with the rules being what they are.

wiffleball whizz
09-23-2013, 01:00 PM
I'm a Bears fan, but no way are they favored over Seattle. Or over San Francisco, even despite the Niners poor play the last two weeks.

1. Seattle 2. Denver 3. San Fran 4. Chicago 5. New England

The bears are so for real it's scary.......San Fran is a fraud favorite.....the rams will expose them this week and play then well also.....rams BB

Bears for your life......will cake walk home to a 1 seed in the NFC

Robert Fischer
09-23-2013, 01:50 PM
Throwing the ball last night was not a problem for the Steelers.

Obviously they have a lot to work on, and are already in a huge divisional hole. Still, necessity is the mother of invention. I don't trust them to continue to pass, but I think that game-planning for 325-350 yards passing is their best choice moving forward.

raybo
09-23-2013, 02:14 PM

A lot of the "local" Dallas fans became extremely "unloyal" after the Jones/Johnson debacle, can you blame them? I don't even watch them on TV anymore, even when it's not blacked out because they didn't sellout the stadium, don't even watch them when they are on network TV. I would say that there is a huge fan base nationally, and internationally, but locally - no way they are loyal. This coming from a former Cowboys diehard!

Loyal local fans? Denver, or it used to be anyway, sold out every home game, winning or losing. Green Bay, of course.

I don't watch pro sports anymore, football, baseball, basketball, hockey, nothin'! IMO, it is no longer "sports", it's all about money.

Valuist
09-23-2013, 02:26 PM
The bears are so for real it's scary.......San Fran is a fraud favorite.....the rams will expose them this week and play then well also.....rams BB

Bears for your life......will cake walk home to a 1 seed in the NFC

I wish it were true, but if they went to Seattle, they'd get slapped. Same thing with going to Green Bay. They may split with the Packers this year, but since McCarthy has been there, GB has really had their number. We'll see if this is just a two week slump for San Fran. Lots of talent although Aldon Smith being out will be a big loss.

Let's not forget, the Bears were trailing the Vikings in the final minute....at home. They were plus 4 turnovers at the time when the score was 27-23 last night. A real strong team would've obliterated the Steelers last night. They let Pitt back into the game.

Linemaker remains nonplussed with the Bears. They are a 3 pt dog at Detroit.

Striker
09-23-2013, 03:07 PM
I wish it were true, but if they went to Seattle, they'd get slapped. Same thing with going to Green Bay. They may split with the Packers this year, but since McCarthy has been there, GB has really had their number.
Packers will have a field day against the Bears D, especially now that Melton is likely done for the year with a torn ACL. I will gladly take a split with GB this year. The game on 10/6 when Brees comes to Soldier Field will certainly be a shootout.

PhantomOnTour
10-20-2013, 11:21 PM
Looking very old to me. I think the ravens only competition in the division is the Bungles. I tried to root for the Steelers, I honestly did, but every time I went there, I gagged and had to take a deep breath. Almost passed out a few times. What a tough situation to be in.
Well, they're good enough to beat the Ravens

Valuist
11-11-2013, 12:33 PM
Word came out yesterday morning that Roethlisberger would request a trade after the season. My guess is the most likely outcome would be that the Steelers would fire Haley. IF they were to trade him, I think the most likely place he would end up would be Arizona. Arians is in Phoenix, and those two could be re-united. Cleveland would work, but I doubt the Steelers would trade a franchise QB to a divisional rival. There's no shortage of teams who need a quarterback.

tucker6
11-11-2013, 03:57 PM
Word came out yesterday morning that Roethlisberger would request a trade after the season. My guess is the most likely outcome would be that the Steelers would fire Haley. IF they were to trade him, I think the most likely place he would end up would be Arizona. Arians is in Phoenix, and those two could be re-united. Cleveland would work, but I doubt the Steelers would trade a franchise QB to a divisional rival. There's no shortage of teams who need a quarterback.
20 teams think they have a franchise QB, but only 8-10 actually do. Ben is one such franchise QB. As such, the Steelers will appease Ben rather than trade him. It may take another 15 years (if ever) to find one of his caliber, and as we all know, you can't win in the NFL without a franchise QB.

JustRalph
11-11-2013, 05:13 PM
I've lived in

Columbus Ohio

Cleveland

Charlotte

LA County

Dallas now

Most absorbed loyal fans I have ever seen are Ohio State football fans. But Baltimore Ravens fans tie them for first place.

Purple Friday is a Statewide event. I have seen Doctors with purple masks doing surgery on purple Friday. From garbage men to executives, they all get in on the act on Purple Fridays.

Ohio State fans are the same way on Football Saturdays.

Dallas fans seem to be pretty well pissed off. But I've only been here about 18 months.

Los Angeles not having a football team seems to favor the Lakers. Lakers fans everywhere and always the topic of conversation

Cleveland is so down on their team, it's like a disease.

In Charlotte I think only about half the people even know they have a team :lol:

But ask them about Nascar and they will tell you all about it.

ldiatone
11-11-2013, 05:26 PM
Ben stated today he wants to end his career in pittsburgh. he stated im a pittsburgher and my family is here and this is where i want to play.
the rumor started because a team inquired last year if the steelers would trade Ben. that team could have been Arizona..and Arians just might have started it to get back at the steelers as how they treated him.
just a rumor and theroy

PhantomOnTour
11-24-2013, 08:25 PM
Unbelievable, but if the season ended today the Steelers would be in the playoffs :D

Bunch of baaaad teams in the AFC

burnsy
11-24-2013, 09:11 PM
Agreed, the best division is probably the NFC west. The Rams killed the Bears today, the Cardinals destroyed Indy...I'll go out on a limb and guess that San Fran will beat up on the Redskins tommorrow.

Stillriledup
11-24-2013, 09:18 PM
Unbelievable, but if the season ended today the Steelers would be in the playoffs :D

Bunch of baaaad teams in the AFC

This makes my "garbage" NFL thread look really good. How a team who is as bad as these guys is in any kind of position for the playoffs speaks volumes.

Mineshaft
11-28-2013, 11:56 PM
They done now...

wiffleball whizz
11-29-2013, 12:02 AM
Pitt is finished.....along with the giants

cj's dad
11-29-2013, 01:31 AM
Pitt is finished.....along with the giants

The Super Bowl Champion Ravens will beat the Vikes next week at home and will lose 3 in a row vs. Detroit away/ NE in Baltimore and the Bengals away. This team is just not that good and it all starts with the O line.

I hope I am wrong !!

Hosshead
11-29-2013, 06:10 PM
20 teams think they have a franchise QB, but only 8-10 actually do. Ben is one such franchise QB.
I heard an ESPN analyst mention this, saying that even though the Steelers lost (on Thanksgiving), no team would want to play either the Steelers or Ravens in the playoffs because these "franchise QB's" have the ability to surprise any team.

cj's dad
11-30-2013, 01:56 AM
Timlin being scrutinized for his actions (stepping on the field) during Jacoby Jones runback. He will be heavily fined and IMO he should suspended for 1 game for his very unsportsmanlike action. This will never happen but he acted like a fool.

PhantomOnTour
11-30-2013, 01:59 AM
Timlin being scrutinized for his actions (stepping on the field) during Jacoby Jones runback. He will be heavily fined and IMO he should suspended for 1 game for his very unsportsmanlike action. This will never happen but he acted like a fool.
Agreed - it was a pretty lame move, whether he was trying to be cute or not.
I think Goodell will get him for 100k and one game.

cj's dad
11-30-2013, 02:32 AM
Agreed - it was a pretty lame move, whether he was trying to be cute or not.
I think Goodell will get him for 100k and one game.

POT- as much as I dislike the Stillers I have always respected their accomplishments, Timlin grinning on the sidelines after the play was bush league. Neither team is going anywhere so in the grand scheme it doesn't matter.

PhantomOnTour
12-16-2013, 01:00 PM
How are the Steelers still alive for the playoffs?
I guess I am reading it wrong, but there's no way they get in, even though they are still considered "alive" for a spot:

the 6th playoff team is currently the Dolphins at 8-6. Pitt is 6-8 with a loss to Miami...how could they possible make the playoffs?
In other words, they will never get ahead of Miami because they can't possibly finish with a better record and they lost the head to head.
Even if Miami slips up and is passed by the Ravens and Chargers, they will ALWAYS be ahead of Pittsburgh...thus bouncing them from any shot at the final playoff slot.
Steelers cannot win their division either because Cincy already has nine wins and the best Pitt can do is 8-8

Where am I wrong here?

RXB
12-16-2013, 02:04 PM
How are the Steelers still alive for the playoffs?
I guess I am reading it wrong, but there's no way they get in, even though they are still considered "alive" for a spot:

the 6th playoff team is currently the Dolphins at 8-6. Pitt is 6-8 with a loss to Miami...how could they possible make the playoffs?
In other words, they will never get ahead of Miami because they can't possibly finish with a better record and they lost the head to head.
Even if Miami slips up and is passed by the Ravens and Chargers, they will ALWAYS be ahead of Pittsburgh...thus bouncing them from any shot at the final playoff slot.
Steelers cannot win their division either because Cincy already has nine wins and the best Pitt can do is 8-8

Where am I wrong here?

Because it could conceivably finish in a three-team, four-team or even five-team tie at 8-8 for the final wild card and then games other than Miami-Pgh come into play.

PhantomOnTour
12-16-2013, 02:07 PM
Because it could conceivably finish in a three-team, four-team or even five-team tie at 8-8 for the final wild card and then games other than Miami-Pgh come into play.
Thx - I knew I was wrong but I wasn't sure how :D

tucker6
12-16-2013, 03:00 PM
Thx - I knew I was wrong but I wasn't sure how :DHere it is. Slim left the building early...

Pittsburgh slides in at the #6 seed IF:

Pittsburgh beats Green Bay and Cleveland
AND
Miami loses to Buffalo and New York Jets
AND
Baltimore loses to two of Detroit, New England, and Cincinnati
AND
New York Jets beat Oakland and Miami
AND
San Diego loses to either Oakland or Kansas City

Robert Fischer
12-16-2013, 04:11 PM
As a Steeler fan, I'm almost rooting for 6-10 and for a 3rd place divisional finish in the standings.

The team needs major coaching and roster improvements, not a feel-good run to the playoffs.

tucker6
12-16-2013, 04:38 PM
As a Steeler fan, I'm almost rooting for 6-10 and for a 3rd place divisional finish in the standings.

The team needs major coaching and roster improvements, not a feel-good run to the playoffs.
Agreed, and I'll add this. Each year as we move further away from the Cowher regime, the lower the quality of player. That's on Colbert and Tomlin. Special teams has been poor under Tomlin. When will we see a consitent ST. LeBeau's defensive scheme requires a certain skill set among the players. It's not LeBeau, but drafting. No pass rush, long TD passes will happen. Art II is a problem. Still believes that dinosaurs walk the Earth. In football, that means he still believes that run first can win SB's. That was Art Sr's NFL. You have a franchise QB. Use the shit out of him until he retires.

PhantomOnTour
12-16-2013, 04:48 PM
Steelers run D ranks in the bottom half of the league (around 19th or 20th) and that's unheard of.
They miss Casey Hampton more than anyone.
McClendon and whoever else they put there is not working...a 3-4 nose guard needs to come in at about 330lbs and anchor the middle.

TheEdge07
12-23-2013, 07:54 AM
Not yet..

SD vs Chiefs
Ravens at Cincy
Dolphins at Jets

if Sd,Ravens,Dolphins lose and Pitt wins there in

Pitt vs Cleveland

tucker6
12-23-2013, 09:27 PM
If the Steelers make it into the playoffs, I'll laugh my a$$ off. They have played about as bad as you can play and still be in the "hunt". :D

ldiatone
12-29-2013, 04:37 PM
GO KC KC 7 SD 0
The magic of the Terrible Towel
(ok it just went 7-7)

cj
12-29-2013, 05:09 PM
KC not playing a lot of guys, but still 14-14.

Stillriledup
12-29-2013, 07:04 PM
Wow, PITT going to make playoffs, KC in FG range in the dying seconds to kick Pitt into the postseason.

Miraculous.

ldiatone
12-29-2013, 07:14 PM
HE MISSED IT :bang: :bang: :bang: AHHHHHH ot now

RXB
12-29-2013, 07:14 PM
No good. OT.

RXB
12-29-2013, 07:43 PM
Chargers win; they're in.

cj
12-30-2013, 02:56 AM