PDA

View Full Version : DC Shootings

Tom
09-16-2013, 12:57 PM
At the Navy Yard - possibly three gunmen.
Some dead, maybe 12 shot....fluid situation.
Obama to speak shortly, if not already.

Marshall Bennett
09-16-2013, 03:24 PM
One of the men they're looking for is a black dude. Wonder if Obama will say that could have been him as well. :)

Stillriledup
09-16-2013, 03:29 PM
One of the men they're looking for is a black dude. Wonder if Obama will say that could have been him as well. :)

Naw, he's too busy consoling the families of Christopher Lane and Shorty Belton.

Overlay
09-16-2013, 03:44 PM
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/09/16/20522196-at-least-12-killed-in-shooting-rampage-at-washington-navy-yard-chief-says?lite

According to the report at the above link, at least twelve were killed, including the gunman, who was working on the base as a civilian contractor. As many as sixteen others may have been wounded. (The report says that another armed perpetrator may have been involved, but speaks of only one confirmed shooter.)

Robert Goren
09-16-2013, 05:36 PM
Naw, he's too busy consoling the families of Christopher Lane and Shorty Belton.The dead shooter is black man from Texas according CNN. It will be interesting to learn more about this nut.

cj's dad
09-16-2013, 05:43 PM
He was facing some type of weapons charge in Texas

Clocker
09-16-2013, 07:08 PM
There were just reports of gun shots at the White House. Film on Fox News showed cops taking some guy to the ground outside the fence. Turns out the idiot lit a couple of fire crackers and threw them over the fence.

Sounds like a hold my beer and watch this moment.

Or an attempt at suicide by cop.

JustRalph
09-16-2013, 07:09 PM
Ft. Worth decided not to prosecute him for accidentally firing a round into his neighbors apt.

I just heard he was arrested for shooting somebodies tires out in Washington State or somewhere like that, 10 yrs ago.

He also lived in Flushing NY for a while. He was stationed in Texas working for the Navy.......

So let's just say the shooter was from New York for the next few hours.

In fact, he has been living in Washington DC for a while. He was from DC based on the media rules.........HUH?

Btw, the North Texas newscasters are practically giddy reporting on this. They must feel like they are involved in something greater than they normally get to report on. They are obviously getting off on it.............. :bang:

JustRalph
09-16-2013, 07:10 PM
some wingnut is firing shots at the White House now..........

probably from Texas.............

nat1223
09-16-2013, 07:26 PM
I think the world is getting better.

boxcar
09-16-2013, 07:41 PM
I think the world is getting better.

It is is....if you twist the definition of "better".

Boxcar

johnhannibalsmith
09-16-2013, 08:36 PM
WOW! A rare recent appearance by my main Boxcat outside of the Religious! thread.

Clocker
09-16-2013, 10:36 PM
WOW! A rare recent appearance by my main Boxcat outside of the Religious! thread.

They must have resolved all their differences in that thread. :rolleyes:

Tom
09-16-2013, 10:48 PM
some wingnut is firing shots at the White House now..........

probably from Texas.............

Michelle caught Bammy sneaking a cheeseburger?

cj's dad
09-17-2013, 12:29 AM

I rarely agree with Boxcar, but I am pretty sure that he is allowed to post where he likes.

johnhannibalsmith
09-17-2013, 12:39 AM
I rarely agree with Boxcar, but I am pretty sure that he is allowed to post where he likes.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure he is too.

Not sure why you'd be under any other impression.

JustRalph
09-17-2013, 03:38 PM
So, the shooter is being treated for mental illness by the VA

Hearing voices etc.........

And he passes two background checks, gets a secret clearance, and a job working on base.........

Fundamental failure of government. Yet Obama and Finklestein want to take guns away from the rest of the country............

PaceAdvantage
09-17-2013, 03:40 PM
Mental illness? That one comes up a lot in these kinds of cases. Yet nobody wants to do anything about mental illness.

Except of course the drug companies...they'll feed you all the pills you can handle...

Marshall Bennett
09-17-2013, 03:45 PM
....and allow them to own and purchase handguns. Makes sense to me. :bang:

Tom
09-17-2013, 04:15 PM
Someone needs to take a long, serious look at our military leadership.
Both this nut and the Fort hood shooter should have never been in the position to do what they did.

The ball was dropped. The red flags were flying, and either missed, or ignored.

JustRalph
09-17-2013, 04:20 PM
....and allow them to own and purchase handguns. Makes sense to me. :bang:

Just last week I bought a new rifle. The form has a question about being treated for mental health issues. I suppose anybody could lie. But why is this guy not on the "no gun" list........?

My check via phone took 2 minutes..........I stood next to the sales guy while he did it.

Just like anything else the government lays it's hands on....apparently this DC shooter made a recent purchase........FAIL!

JustRalph
09-17-2013, 09:45 PM
t7xQQ6m7Vzo

Navy Yard Shooting: Marines 'had weapons... but no ammunition'

The Navy Yard shooting brings up the legitimate issue of carrying - and using - firearms on military installations.

Back in 1993, the Clinton administration virtually declared military establishments "gun-free zones." As a result, the policy banned "military personnel from carrying their own personal firearms and mandates that 'a credible and specific threat against [Department of the Army] personnel [exist] in that region" before military personnel 'may be authorized to carry firearms for personal protection." Indeed, most military bases have relatively few military police as they are in heavy demand to serve in Iraq and Afghanistan," according to economist John Lott.

Additionally, Lott discovered that "every public shooting since at least 1950 in the U.S. in which more than three people have been killed has taken place where citizens are not allowed to carry guns."

The answer is simple. Murderers pick places where they know their victims will be unarmed. It's time we debate having concealed carry on military bases. After all, there's no evidence showing that firearms owners are more irresponsible than the police, as Wall Street Journal columnist John Fund noted back in December of 2012:

Robert Goren
09-17-2013, 11:39 PM
Just last week I bought a new rifle. The form has a question about being treated for mental health issues. I suppose anybody could lie. But why is this guy not on the "no gun" list........?

My check via phone took 2 minutes..........I stood next to the sales guy while he did it.

Just like anything else the government lays it's hands on....apparently this DC shooter made a recent purchase........FAIL!You are right. The government does not have good system in place to check out potential gun buyers. The NRA fights tooth and nail any attempt to put one in place because they believe it is very close to a national gun registry. They are right about that. At some point the country will have to decide whether they want these kinds of shootings to continue or put into effect a better system. I don't have the answer to that question. I am basically pro gun especially for hunting, but nuts with guns is a hard pill to take..... I just wish there was way keep guns out of the hands of people that everybody who has met them knows they should be allowed near a gun liked this guy and Giffords shooter, Jared Loughner. I am not sure there is.

FantasticDan
09-18-2013, 12:03 AM
Navy Yard Shooting: Marines 'had weapons... but no ammunition'
More of the no ammo BS again? :ThmbDown: :ThmbDown:

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/09/egypt-embassy-marines-live-ammo

JustRalph
09-18-2013, 12:21 AM

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/09/egypt-embassy-marines-live-ammo

are you trying to say that the Marines yesterday had ammo?

Benghazi is a completely different issue.......... are you saying the Marines yesterday had ammo?

FantasticDan
09-18-2013, 12:43 AM
Benghazi is a completely different issue.... are you saying the Marines yesterday had ammo?Yes, I am. And yes, I am. :bang:

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2013/09/17/the-growing-myth-of-mass-shootings-and-gun-free/195927

PaceAdvantage
09-18-2013, 12:46 AM

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/09/egypt-embassy-marines-live-ammoGotta love a site that uses "wingnuts" in a headline.

I hope you aren't one who likes to pick on people's sources around here... :lol:

PaceAdvantage
09-18-2013, 12:48 AM

Benghazi is a completely different issue.......... are you saying the Marines yesterday had ammo?Remember, Matthew Sheppard was killed by a team of raging homophobes...oh wait...no he wasn't...

Might be the same type of false narrative push attempt here...say it often enough, and people might actually believe it...that's the left-wing media way...

JustRalph
09-18-2013, 12:53 AM
Yes, I am. And yes, I am. :bang:

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2013/09/17/the-growing-myth-of-mass-shootings-and-gun-free/195927

I think we are discussing two different points.

I agree with everything in the article you posted above. It's self evident.

I believe the point the guy in the video makes is that there were several more trained people available if they had access to ammo.

Believe me, I am familiar with this scenario. I was an Air Base Security Police Officer for several years. But even in the 80's when I was doing that job 90% of on base personnel did not have access to ammo. Hell, in the Air Force 90% are not trained to use small arms. But on a Marine Base or Army base maybe this topic should come up for discussion considering Ft. Hood and now this. I know for a fact that prior to the 60's ammo was issued to individuals on base in the Army. It was locked in barracks etc.

My father was also an Air Force MP and he told me that they kept 100 rounds in their foot locker while he was stationed at March Airfield in California in the 50's. But that was a different day and age. Maybe the Marines and Army should revisit this issue considering the change in climate.

Bottom line, they didn't have ammo available.

JustRalph
09-18-2013, 12:59 AM
Btw, this is not unique...........might be time to make some changes. The guy in the video makes a valid point. I don't' give a damn who was President, commandment of the Marines etc. After the two incidents below and now Ft Hood and yesterdays event, why no leadership? Why no changes? It's been years!

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/4714090/

http://www.wave3.com/Global/story.asp?S=3975146

Both Army bases.

JustRalph
09-18-2013, 01:53 AM
some more details
From CNN

"Two days before the shooting, Alexis spent "a couple hours" shooting at Sharpshooters Small Arms Range in northern Virginia before paying $419 for a Remington 870 shotgun -- after being approved by the federal background check -- and a small amount of ammunition, the store's attorney, J. Michael Slocum, said."

"The two handguns, sources say, may have been taken from guards at the naval base. But how Alexis brought the shotgun in, though, remains an open question, with Washington Mayor Vincent Gray speculating he may have concealed it.

Surveillance video shows Alexis walking into the facility, bringing a bag into a bathroom in Building 197 and coming out with the shotgun, a federal law enforcement official said. It's believed Alexis had the disassembled gun inside the bag.

From there, he headed to a perch overlooking the building's atrium and began firing on those below using 00 buckshot shells, each packed with about a dozen pellets capable of causing tremendous damage, according to the same official."

If my memory serves me right, 00 Buck is 9 thirty caliber projectiles packed into one shell. It's been a long time since I fired any of it....I carried it in a police cruiser for years.......but it's like 9 .30 caliber rifles being fired at you at once.

It's also the preferred load for penetrating any obstacles such as walls, gates, doors etc.

JustRalph
09-18-2013, 02:07 AM
http://www.dodig.mil/pubs/documents/DODIG-2013-134.pdf

I wonder how long this document has been in existence? Released yesterday

here's first page highlights.......that wailing water like sound you hear while you read this is a result of careers being flushed down the toilet

JustRalph
09-18-2013, 02:31 AM
Oops!!!. Jumped the gun a little........pun intended

johnhannibalsmith
09-18-2013, 03:47 AM
Oops!!!. Jumped the gun a little........pun intended

Well, what do you think the likelier outcome in general will be:

a) people will be mad at the rag for their shoddy journalism yet again.

or

b) they will just repeat from now until whenever that it was an AR-15 and anyone that points out that they are wrong are misinformed and hate children, as well as black people.

JustRalph
09-18-2013, 07:47 PM
This thing gets worse every day............... a nearby swat team was told to ignore the shooter.........40 minutes later he was taken down? Not sure I believe this....but it's being reported by "multiple sources"

"Multiple sources in the Capitol Police department have told the BBC that its highly trained and heavily armed four-man Containment and Emergency Response Team (Cert) was near the Navy Yard when the initial report of an active shooter came in about 8:20 local time.

The officers, wearing full tactical gear and armed with HK-416 assault weapons, arrived outside Building 197 a few minutes later, an official with knowledge of the incident told the BBC.

According to a Capitol Police source, an officer with the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD), Washington DC’s main municipal force, told the Capitol Cert officers they were the only police on the site equipped with long guns and requested their help stopping the gunman.

When the Capitol Police team radioed their superiors, they were told by a watch commander to leave the scene, the BBC was told."

no long guns anywhere on base? So what were the Naval Security people armed with?

elysiantraveller
09-18-2013, 09:11 PM
If my memory serves me right, 00 Buck is 9 thirty caliber projectiles packed into one shell. It's been a long time since I fired any of it....I carried it in a police cruiser for years.......but it's like 9 .30 caliber rifles being fired at you at once.

It's also the preferred load for penetrating any obstacles such as walls, gates, doors etc.

Correct, its also the preferred home defense load.

PaceAdvantage
09-18-2013, 09:24 PM
This thing gets worse every day............... a nearby swat team was told to ignore the shooter.........40 minutes later he was taken down? Not sure I believe this....but it's being reported by "multiple sources" Puts more juice into my psy-ops gone bad (or not?) theory... :eek:

sammy the sage
09-19-2013, 05:56 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/09/19/probe-launched-over-claim-that-elite-capitol-police-unit-blocked-from-navy-yard/

just for our tongue-n-cheek no such things happen happens....

iceknight
09-20-2013, 03:11 AM
Related to this topic...

cbs , nbc wrongly id's this guy..

http://video.foxnews.com/v/2682408722001/how-i-was-mistaken-for-the-navy-yard-shooter/

JustRalph
09-25-2013, 05:05 PM
Video of shooter

1dsLQLVk7nY