PDA

View Full Version : Pedigree Class Ratings,Iriquois,My Trip Through This.

CincyHorseplayer
09-15-2013, 08:09 PM
Always take a breather after the Toga meet,but still so used to handicapping on Friday night and after looking at all those sexy pedigrees for 6 weeks I picked up a pen,some filler paper,and the pedigree ratings and just started tracing bloodlines.

All I ask is please bear with me but I wanted to share this.I'm in my infancy with pedigree.I read all of one book,Mike Helm's "Exploring Pedigree" and tracked him down to get the ratings.Other than horses I know since 96 and reading the occasional comments I know and have read nothing about pedigree beyond this.So what might be a revelation to me might be old hat to some of you!

What started this all off was watching the Iriquois stakes last Sunday.I did the numbers and wrote out the class/distance ratings.That's it.The numbers revealed zero.In the race there were 3 horses with class pedigrees(sire/damsire).The favorite was a 2-1.The winner was a 1-1(Dixie Union-Distorted Humor).The exacta horse was a 3-1.That was it.After that they were dogs on pedigree!Anyway that simple observation lit me up a little.And after looking at pedigree rankings throughout the Toga meet and just learning how to profit from it,my palette was whetted.I started to notice that while looking for A and B rankings all the time for first timers or turfers,the class ratings were just as important.There was so much of all of it,it was almost irrelevant!It will mean much more when these bluebloods scatter the rest of the year.

So.Simple idea.pen.Paper.Trace bloodlines.What do you know?Everything we all know=most bloodlines trace back to Mr Prospector and Northern Dancer.But to what degree?

I think there are about 5,000 sires in the pedigree book.Of those only 53 horses qualified on Class "1".Tracing those male lines only(female crosses are another thread),17 went to Mr Prospector.20 went back to Northern Dancer.Leaving 16 deviations from this simple formula.Of those 16,5 went back to the AP Indy line,who has made his impact line but I'm coupling him with the Bold Ruler line because both his sire and damsire trace back to Bold Ruler.4 went back to Hail To Reason,usually via Roberto.Names like that pop out amongst other.You guys fill in the blanks where I know I'm missing.

So looking for an answer to why the other bloodlines didn't conform to the 2 big dogs,I started looking for a common link.Hindsight it would have been easier to get to the answer by tracing the bloodlines of the top 2 and the secondary 2.I'll get to that later.Thank goodness for pedigree query!Great site.My head would have exploded Friday night without it!

AP Indy was the biggest deviant that is making an impact on blood.Where does he come from?Both sides trace back to Bold Ruler.Who is Bold Ruler other than Secretariat's dad?Male line-Nasrullah-Nearco-Pharos-Phalaris.Real theme there.Female family-Discovery-Display-Fair Play.Fair Play was the sire of Man O War and early 20th he was definitely an influence on the scene.

Arch-female famile 2 generations removed from Norther Dancer.Male family traces back to Hail To Reason.Because he represented 4 of 16 deviations,who is Hail To Reason?Turn To-Royal Chargere-Nearco-Pharos-Phalaris.Female was undistinguished.But 2 damsires removed,which is tenuous I know but I did see a familiar name=Fair Play.

Colonel John and Tiznow.Father and son have Northern Dancer on mom's side(I know I'm trying not to say it).This pedigree finding common ground was a dig deeeeeper.I might not have looked so hard but I absolutely loved Tiznow and thought he was a great one.His male family led back to Intentionally.That horse went Intent-War Relic-Man O War-Fair Play.Intentionally was femal side crossed back to Fair Play also.Tiznow's femal family traced back to Bold Ruler by 5 generations,and as noted he had some Fair Play on Mom's side.So this was truly an American pedigree.

Einstein-he traces 3 generations back to Buckpasser-Tom Fool-Me Now-haramond-Phalaris.I've heard the Buckpasser name so looked at him and female side traces back War Admiral-Man O War-Fair Play.Einstein's female side is Northern Dancer line.

Indian Charlie-female 3 generations removed from Northern Dancer.Male Line 6 generations back to the trifecta of Nearco-Pharos-Phalaris.

Mineshaft-didn't dig too deep because AP Indy=Bold Ruler x 2.Mr Prospector line mom's side.

Bernardini-same reason AP Indy=Bold Ruler x 2.Mr Prospector mom side.

Sky Mesa-AP Indy=Bold Ruler x 2.Northern Dancer mom's side.

Tapit-AP Indy/Bold ruler line with Mr Prospector mom side.

Philanthropis and Silver Hawk traced back to Robert and as with Arch back to Hail To Reason which waay back goes back to the Phalaris line.

Leroidesanimaux-male line goes back to Phalaris

So basically whatever class bloodline isn't on the Mr Prospector or Northern Dancer line most female sides include it or they trace back to Phalaris or in America to Bold Ruler or Fair Play.( I kept seeing a French horse named Teddy too,any clues?)

So after all that I arrived at the question after looking for the common thread,who is Phalaris?Let's look at the big 4,the big 2 and the litte 2.

Northern Dancer-(male)-Nearctic-Nearco-Pharos-Phalaris

--------------------(female)-Native Dancer-Polynesian-Unbreakable-Sickle-Phalaris

Mr Prospector-(male)-Raise A Native-Native Dancer-Polynesian-Unbreakable-Sickle-Phalaris

-----------------(female)-Nashua-Nasrullah-Nearco-Pharos-Phalaris

So watching the Reds game Friday night it's now 5 am,my brain is burning with glee,and I take a smoke break.I sit down and see this on Wikipedia;

http://www.chef-de-race.com/articles/evolution_of_bloodlines.htm

After an entire evening of running back to this name reading this was otherworldly!This was one of the leave no stone unturned rituals.I'm in my infancy here and this was for me enlightening.If you have book recommendations I'm all ears boys.Knowing the families a little better was the goal and after seeing the Keeneland sales this week the head was burning with pedigrees.On that note I have to thank Robert Fischer for some inspiration.Great coverage man!The Eskenderaya horse is my favorite bro!

Feel free to fill in blanks or put me in my place.This is all new to me but guess what?I'm digging it so much it's only fuel to fire baby!

turninforhome10
09-16-2013, 05:52 AM
When learning pedigrees, I found it very useful to study the great breeders and follow the money trail. Get you hands on Great Breeders and their Methods or anything by Abram S. Hewitt. http://www.chef-de-race.com/articles/hewitt.htm
Been studying pedigrees for 15 years and this guy and hours in the Keeneland library really bumped up my knowledge. Another interesting and time consuming exercise is to go back to your favorite historical sires and use the progeny function on pedigrees online and look for the money horses and see how they reproduced.http://www.pedigreequery.com/progeny/pharos

CincyHorseplayer
09-16-2013, 02:36 PM
When learning pedigrees, I found it very useful to study the great breeders and follow the money trail. Get you hands on Great Breeders and their Methods or anything by Abram S. Hewitt. http://www.chef-de-race.com/articles/hewitt.htm
Been studying pedigrees for 15 years and this guy and hours in the Keeneland library really bumped up my knowledge. Another interesting and time consuming exercise is to go back to your favorite historical sires and use the progeny function on pedigrees online and look for the money horses and see how they reproduced.http://www.pedigreequery.com/progeny/pharos

Awesome and thanks.Before the internet I was a library rat as a young man.When I am in love with something I will go to every dusty corner to find truth and inspiration.Lot of life and truth in those dusty corners!Good stuff man.

Robert Fischer
09-16-2013, 03:12 PM
What started this all off was watching the Iroquois stakes last Sunday.I did the numbers and wrote out the class/distance ratings.That's it.The numbers revealed zero.In the race there were 3 horses with class pedigrees(sire/damsire).The favorite was a 2-1.The winner was a 1-1(Dixie Union-Distorted Humor).The exacta horse was a 3-1.That was it.After that they were dogs on pedigree!Anyway that simple observation lit me up a little.And after looking at pedigree rankings throughout the Toga meet and just learning how to profit from it,my palette was whetted.I started to notice that while looking for A and B rankings all the time for first timers or turfers,the class ratings were just as important.There was so much of all of it,it was almost irrelevant!It will mean much more when these bluebloods scatter the rest of the year.

I like the pedigree of Cleburne :ThmbUp: :

http://www.fotoshack.us/fotos/58396Cleburne.jpg

Distorted Humor and Tsunami Slew really go together well,
and then you have a solid sire like Dixie Union.

CincyHorseplayer
09-16-2013, 03:28 PM
Absolutely.The horse had run on turf with a mediocre figure but had hellacious late pace and came with it.I didn't capitalize on it but I was linking these kinds of plays up at Toga with some good results.Daily double includes were paying over $100.I stopped playing the pick 4 and started rolling doubles onto maiden races.It works!Like your highlights.Nobody gives respect to these sires at all and they are producing grade 1 winners out the yin yang!

I like the pedigree of Cleburne :ThmbUp: :

http://www.fotoshack.us/fotos/58396Cleburne.jpg

Distorted Humor and Tsunami Slew really go together well,
and then you have a solid sire like Dixie Union.

CincyHorseplayer
09-16-2013, 03:32 PM
Yeah I failed to mention the pedigree payoff in the Iriquois.

http://www.equibase.com/static/chart/summary/CD090713USA-EQB.html

Linked to 390.00 and 240.00 doubles.Cleburne was an include all day.

turninforhome10
09-16-2013, 05:53 PM
Awesome and thanks.Before the internet I was a library rat as a young man.When I am in love with something I will go to every dusty corner to find truth and inspiration.Lot of life and truth in those dusty corners!Good stuff man.
This site is outstanding and is definitely worth spending a few hours studying when you have time. http://www.tbheritage.com/index.html