PDA

View Full Version : Epic Privacy Browser

Augenj
09-15-2013, 05:02 PM
This is a new browser I've been playing with. It's based on Chromium, the Google Chrome engine, so you Chrome fans should feel right at home.

Epic Privacy Browser blocks cookies, trackers, ads and more (http://www.pcworld.com/article/2048762/epic-privacy-browser-blocks-cookies-trackers-ads-and-more.html)

raybo
10-28-2013, 08:46 PM
Augenj,

How's this new browser working for you? Do you find that there are too many sites that can't be accessed using it? Have you found any negative things other than losing the ability to auto-login, etc?

horses4courses
10-28-2013, 11:46 PM
I normally use Chrome - this is very similar.
However, with the cookies and trackers blocked - it's a thing of beauty, imo :)

Augenj
10-28-2013, 11:49 PM
Augenj,

How's this new browser working for you? Do you find that there are too many sites that can't be accessed using it? Have you found any negative things other than losing the ability to auto-login, etc?
I only used if for a couple of days. Seems like it insists on creating a shortcut on your desktop even when you delete the shortcut. I'm not a privacy freak anyhow. Nothing to hide from the gendarmes, at least for now. :) There's always Tor if things get serious.

Augenj
10-28-2013, 11:53 PM
I normally use Chrome - this is very similar.
However, with the cookies and trackers blocked - it's a thing of beauty, imo :)
Great signature. :)

raybo
10-28-2013, 11:57 PM
Thanks H4C! Augenj, I can handle the shortcut, I like running everything from my desktop anyway. I don't have anything to hide either, but I do have problems with cookies and tracking things I shop for or buy, and I absolutely hate all the targeted ads on Chrome.

I just didn't want to get into something I know nothing about, I'm cautious that way, having had my Gmail account hacked through Chrome.

And, of course, "Big brother" can kiss my a--!

DeltaLover
10-29-2013, 12:20 AM
I really see no reason of swithing from my favorite combo: FF and lynx.. Is really there some room for a new browser? I do not think so, the domain seems to be overmatured by now (at least for the desktop)...

LottaKash
10-29-2013, 01:19 AM
I just didn't want to get into something I know nothing about, I'm cautious that way, having had my Gmail account hacked through Chrome.

Yeah they should "rename" Google.com to "GOOGLE. GOV"...:jump:

Augenj
10-29-2013, 06:02 AM
Thanks H4C! Augenj, I can handle the shortcut, I like running everything from my desktop anyway. I don't have anything to hide either, but I do have problems with cookies and tracking things I shop for or buy, and I absolutely hate all the targeted ads on Chrome.

I've been using these guys for quite awhile, the DoNotTrackMe piece. It sits in your browser blocking all kinds of drive-by cookies. Haven't tried their MaskMe yet.

Abine.com (http://abine.com)

cj
11-22-2013, 11:46 AM
This thing has two pretty serious issues. One, it constantly creates a Desktop icon and pins itself to the Taskbar. Second, because this was annoying, I uninstalled it. It continually re-installs itself. I fixed it by deleting a file manually that was left behind in the start up folder, but I shouldn't have to do that.

I'll try it again in six months. When searching these problems, both are known, and yet are still there after a few months.

SchagFactorToWin
11-22-2013, 03:30 PM
This thing has two pretty serious issues. One, it constantly creates a Desktop icon and pins itself to the Taskbar. Second, because this was annoying, I uninstalled it. It continually re-installs itself. I fixed it by deleting a file manually that was left behind in the start up folder, but I shouldn't have to do that.

That's exactly what happened to me. I had uninstalled it weeks ago. Then, just the other day, it started re-installing. I found an update file in 2 different folders. Weird.