PDA

View Full Version : Books for donation

Cholly
09-14-2013, 07:05 PM
I’m in the midst of a radical downsizing, and am forced to find a new home for these cherished books, all in perfect or near-perfect condition:
“Six Secrets of Successful Bettors” by Frank Scantoni/Peter Forntale (hardback)
“A Breed Apart” by Mike Helm
“The Big Horse” by Joe McGinniss
“Headless Horsemen” by Jim Squires

Wonderful books, but don’t take my word for that—go to Amazon and read their reviews. PLUS…as a bonus you get a framed (w/glass) black and white photo of a racetrack scene from the 40’s(?), crowd in foreground and horses warming up. I can’t verify but have reason to believe it’s a scene from a running of the Derby—you can see that there are thousands of people crowded in around the track.

PM me with your offer to make a donation to Thoroughbred Retirement Foundation. I’ll select the largest offer received by 10AM Tuesday, September 17th. I’ll pay the postage costs—you’ll get the goods, the benefit of a tax deduction, and the satisfaction of helping retired horses.

Let me hear from you,
Cholly

Cholly
09-17-2013, 05:37 PM
By virtue of his generous donation to Thoroughbred Retirement Foundation, Ted Craven (an authorized advertiser on PA) will be recipient of the books and photograph mentioned. In his words:

“My wife and I became interested in doing something practical about race horse retirement in 2003 after we both learned of the likely fate of Ferdinand, 1986 Derby winner and 1987 HOY in a Japanese slaughterhouse. I remember we were both viscerally and emotionally sick when we learned about that, as watching Ferdinand win the 1986 Kentucky Derby was one of our early memories as a couple and an introduction to her of my passion for horse racing.

Alas, this sport has a double-edge to it. It has been very kind to me and allowed me to make my livelihood in horse racing - but many horses pay the ultimate price for that. I enjoy riding and being around horses as much as I enjoy betting on them and race watching, and supporting various retirement and rescue organizations seems like the correct 'karmic' thing to do (and also strengthens my bond to the idea and love of 'horse').”

Well put, Ted; I will match your donation.

Thanks to all of you who responded. I’m sorry there was only one “prize” to award—but please don’t let a few books get in the way of your helping TRF or another horse retirement organization of your choosing.

Best to all,
Cholly

Ted Craven
09-17-2013, 06:42 PM
Thank you Cholly! Really looking forward to that photo (and the books :-)

May I also encourage everyone to consider setting aside even a small portion of your annual winnings (or a small amount of what you spend annually on your racing activities) for TRF or for any other reputable organization caring for retired race horses. You'll feel good about it!

Thoroughbred Retirement Foundation (http://www.trfinc.org/)

http://www.trfinc.org/mastheads/masthead-new.jpg

cheers,

Ted

Dave Schwartz
09-17-2013, 07:21 PM
A very worthy cause!

Kudos to you, Ted!

:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Segwin
09-17-2013, 07:28 PM
Well done Ted. :ThmbUp:

iceknight
09-19-2013, 09:56 AM
Thank you Cholly! Really looking forward to that photo (and the books :-)

May I also encourage everyone to consider setting aside even a small portion of your annual winnings (or a small amount of what you spend annually on your racing activities) for TRF or for any other reputable organization caring for retired race horses. You'll feel good about it!
Absolutely. Although my handle and winnings are small, I do this once or twice a year -once when some pressing need comes forth (like the OK tornado) or when year end comes up. It's basically tithing to my new religion - horse racing..

VastinMT
09-20-2013, 02:08 AM
It's basically tithing to my new religion - horse racing..

I tithe every race. The track calls it The Take.

:lol: :lol:

But seriously, a good cause. And Headless Horsemen was a fun read.

Ted Craven
10-02-2013, 11:24 AM
Cholly,

Thank you very much for the books and the very nice photo. Would indeed be nice to know what date and track it was.

cheers!

Ted

http://www.sartinmethodology.com/images/pa/racetrack-40s.png