PDA

View Full Version : HOCKEY

delayjf
03-10-2004, 11:34 AM
For those who didn't see it on TV, a hockey player suffered a broken neck after being assaulted from behind and then having his face driven into the ice.

My only surprise is this doesn't happen more often. Police are considering filing charges. At the very least, I think he should be suspended until the injured player returns and if the injuryed player does not, neither should he.

ceejay
03-10-2004, 11:57 AM
Steve Moore has a broken neck and is hospitalized indefitely. Here is a link http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpdDcyMnNwBF9TAzk1ODYxODgzBHNlYwN0 bQ--?slug=ap-bertuzzispunch&prov=ap&type=lgns

I think that Bertuzi (the offender) and Brad May (the Canuck player who apparrently publiclly issued a bounty for Moore) should be suspended for at least a calender year (with time added if there is a strike/lockout). No playoffs this year for either IMO.

The attack looked was premeditated to me, and was not a heat of the moment thing. Bertuzi probably did not mean to hurt Moore that badly but I think he did intend to injure (and that is no defense).

This will IMO hurt the league with upcomng contract negotations and overall image and should not be tolerated.

ljb
03-11-2004, 12:56 PM
This is a bad thing for hockey. But fear not, Tayna Harding is playing tonight in a game with a guaranteed fight. If no fight tonight, fans get a free ticket to Sunday night game. Maybe congress should investigate? Steroids ?

kenwoodallpromos
03-11-2004, 03:02 PM
It is almost worth sitting through 2 or 3 hours of boring nothing to see some real fighting! Hockey was getting to be almost as girlish and phony as wrestling! Hockey needs more punches connecting to be worth watching. As far as behind the back and tackling while landing on top of an opponent, should be jail time for anyone in any sport --Except the Bosox! They will never learn!

Tom
03-11-2004, 07:54 PM
The guy has a broken neck.
The thug who did id deserves a lifetime ban and jail time.
As to hockey, next time I get too riled up watch paint dry, I'll turn on a hockey game.

JustRalph
03-11-2004, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by Tom
The guy has a broken neck.
The thug who did id deserves a lifetime ban and jail time.
As to hockey, next time I get too riled up watch paint dry, I'll turn on a hockey game.

I have attended a few NHL games in the last few years and it rivals any other sport in how rough it is. Sit in the front row behind the goal at any NHL game and see and feel how hard these guys hit each other and you won't doubt it. But,,,,,, the problem I have with this Broken Neck business lies in the fact that the guy had his back turned to the offender. He didn't have a chance and the fact that this team supposedly "put a hit out on the guy" two games before this happen.......sounds "out of bounds" to me. It no longer was incidental contact as a result of game play. In fact it may have become a "criminal act" .....it should be interesting to see what the Police do with it. Conspiring to hurt this player prior to the game changes the whole dynamic. It may even fall into the realm of conspiracy. Hockey is a great game.........but this is a black mark.

ceejay
03-12-2004, 12:58 PM
My feeling is that 13 games plus the playoffs (the suspension handed down) is way too short. On the other hand they left the door open for more punishment (Bertuzzi neens to petition for reinstatement).

Ralph, I agree with every word that you wrote here.

Tom, your feeling about hockey echos mine on basketball!

Secretariat
03-12-2004, 08:02 PM
I'm in agreement with Tom.

kenwoodallpromos
03-12-2004, 10:06 PM
I agree!

Tom
03-12-2004, 11:41 PM
OK, Bob Mathews, "Bobby the American" local sports guy on WHAM has great idea for justice here. Lef this thug keep playing. No suspensions. But every day he plays, he has to give 25% of his pay to the victim. For as long as the guy is out of action, which may well be permenantly.
i tink 50% would be better, but 25 is ok.