PDA

View Full Version : Warren Buffett Against Obamacare

classhandicapper
09-14-2013, 12:12 PM
I haven't heard the direct quotes. So I don't know if this was taken out of context. But I stumbled onto this this morning.

http://moneymorning.com/ob-article/obamacare-buffett.php?code=t-oc-buffett

classhandicapper
09-17-2013, 08:13 PM
http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/warren-buffett-scrap-obamacare-and-start-over_756302.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

classhandicapper
09-17-2013, 08:16 PM
http://www.ijreview.com/2013/09/79761-noted-obama-supporter-warren-buffett-average-citizens-will-suffer-obamacare/

JustRalph
09-17-2013, 09:18 PM
Thanks for posting these links........good stuff.

Noted Obama Supporter Warren Buffett: Average Citizens Will Suffer Under ObamaCare

sally
09-17-2013, 09:54 PM
"Buffett does not believe that providing insurance for everyone is the first step to take in correcting our nation's healthcare system.

"'Attack the costs first, and then worry about expanding coverage,' he said. 'I would much rather see another plan that really attacks costs. And I think that's what the American public wants to see. I mean, the American public is not behind this bill.'"

This is the reason he wants to scrap it, and he's right. And am I mistaken in thinking that this is what Obama wanted to do in the first place but the Republicans did all they could to sabotage his Presidency? I mean, that's how I remember his first few months...

Robert Goren
09-17-2013, 10:29 PM
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2013/sep/17/blog-posting/bloggers-say-warren-buffett-recently-turned-agains/

highnote
09-18-2013, 10:45 AM
One idea of Buffett's I agree with is that in order to get the deficit under control make it a law that if the deficit is great than 4% sitting members of congress are not eligible for re-election.

Stillriledup
09-18-2013, 01:47 PM
The good part is that people with preexisting conditions won't be denied. The bad part is that you're required to buy it. Just make buying it optional and leave the pre existing condition part in place and i think you probably have a better situation right there.

Robert Goren
09-18-2013, 02:41 PM
Just for the record, Berkshire Hathaway (Buffett) owns several insurance companies.

jballscalls
09-18-2013, 03:05 PM
I read an article about this this morning and my honest to god first thought was "Ralph will post a link to this"

I must admit, I was wrong :)

JustRalph
09-18-2013, 05:02 PM
I read an article about this this morning and my honest to god first thought was "Ralph will post a link to this"

I must admit, I was wrong :)

I'm cutting back..............the month long marathon is over

hcap
09-19-2013, 08:42 AM
Another stupid right wing rumor blown out of proportion and of course posted and thread started by JR.

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2013/09/yet-another-conservative-urban-legend-takes-root

Yet Another Conservative Urban Legend Takes Root

It turns out that this is an object lesson in how eager conservatives are to pick up even on things that are so plainly wrong they'd embarrass a five-year-old. Jon Chait does the honors:

The quote was picked up by Jeffrey H. Anderson of the Weekly Standard — “You know things are bad for President Obama when even Warren Buffett has soured on Obamacare and says that ‘we need something else’” — and ricocheted around the conservative-news world....In fact, the Buffett quote came from comments he made in 2010, when the health-care law was being cobbled together in Congress. His denunciation of “what we have right now” refers to the pre-Obamacare status quo.

....Anderson hilariously issued an “update” to his completely false item, in which he notes: “It appears that Buffett made his anti-Obamacare comments in 2010, thereby showing that he, like most of the American people, has opposed Obamacare since even before it was passed.”

Buffett immediately issued a statement calling these reports "100 percent wrong," and pointing out that he's supported Obamacare from the very start.

Too late, Warren! This is now officially a conservative urban legend that will never, ever go away. Whether it's true or not doesn't really matter.

Rookies
09-19-2013, 10:26 AM
Another stupid right wing rumor blown out of proportion and of course posted and thread started by JR.

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2013/09/yet-another-conservative-urban-legend-takes-root

Yet Another Conservative Urban Legend Takes Root

It turns out that this is an object lesson in how eager conservatives are to pick up even on things that are so plainly wrong they'd embarrass a five-year-old. Jon Chait does the honors:

The quote was picked up by Jeffrey H. Anderson of the Weekly Standard — “You know things are bad for President Obama when even Warren Buffett has soured on Obamacare and says that ‘we need something else’” — and ricocheted around the conservative-news world....In fact, the Buffett quote came from comments he made in 2010, when the health-care law was being cobbled together in Congress. His denunciation of “what we have right now” refers to the pre-Obamacare status quo.

....Anderson hilariously issued an “update” to his completely false item, in which he notes: “It appears that Buffett made his anti-Obamacare comments in 2010, thereby showing that he, like most of the American people, has opposed Obamacare since even before it was passed.”

Buffett immediately issued a statement calling these reports "100 percent wrong," and pointing out that he's supported Obamacare from the very start.

Too late, Warren! This is now officially a conservative urban legend that will never, ever go away. Whether it's true or not doesn't really matter.

100% akin to the brain dead Birthers, who never graduated HS.

Now back to the general analysis.

America needs to do 2 things to get to a proper, socialized' Health Care system:

1) Have ONE single payer, paid through taxes. This, in and of itself, reduces costs, because the private Health care providers compete to ensure that prices are driven up- not down in this field. And, simplicity of picking from various elements allowed and not allowed is largely eliminated.

2) Have an office/ org in charge who relentlessly pursues all aspects of the system from drugs to Doctors, bargains with them for any cost increases and uses the enormous power of a single buyer to reduce costs through bulk purchase of some supplies.

Until then, you will stumble along.

hcap
09-19-2013, 10:35 AM
Sorry you Canucks are not allowed into this debate.

So you guys think having experience with single payer systems has any bearing on health care here in the good 'ole USA? :) :) :cool:

Tom
09-19-2013, 11:03 AM
Only the ones that come here for care they cannot get at home.

JustRalph
09-19-2013, 05:36 PM
Hey Handicapped, I didn't start the thread........

PaceAdvantage
09-19-2013, 07:03 PM
100% akin to the brain dead Birthers, who never graduated HS.

Now back to the general analysis.Can you get anymore condescending and elitist? Jesus...love how you guys judge...

Birthers wouldn't have ever gotten off the ground and gotten Obama to jump through hoops if there weren't any smoke to that fire.

Brain dead...whatever

hcap
09-19-2013, 07:29 PM
Hey Handicapped, I didn't start the thread........Kinda hard to tell when you do not start a bullshit rightwing pos thread.

JustRalph
09-19-2013, 08:10 PM
Kinda hard to tell when you do not start a bullshit rightwing pos thread.

Stay classy ! You're feeling the heat huh? Your boy is turning out to be a POS (stole your acronym) and you are going to go down in history as one of those who bought into the bullshit! Stole your word again..........

I just checked a web cam on the ocean........not receding yet........3 years to go!

jballscalls
09-19-2013, 08:24 PM
is anyone going to purchase insurance through one of these exchanges that are being set up?

I'm sure most on here have insurance through employer or themselves already, just curious.

I have had insurance through my mom's company, which she is selling (Yay her!) but figured I might have to check out the exchanges to see what's offered.

JustRalph
09-19-2013, 09:02 PM
is anyone going to purchase insurance through one of these exchanges that are being set up?

I'm sure most on here have insurance through employer or themselves already, just curious.

I have had insurance through my mom's company, which she is selling (Yay her!) but figured I might have to check out the exchanges to see what's offered.

I have two weeks to decide......... can you guess which way I am leaning....?

johnhannibalsmith
09-19-2013, 09:15 PM
Usually I work specifically to make sure I can cope with health expenses in case they arise. I quit working as of the passage of the bill so I have no income to report. I also took most of the money I had stockpiled for health expenses and bought cartons of cigarettes and paid off the remainder of the giant student loan since they no longer deem paying for care an acceptable choice. I will pay the fine this year and maybe next and by then the law while have collapsed or changed so drastically that I won't feel like a total sucker for wasting my time thinking about it.

classhandicapper
09-25-2013, 01:03 PM
So the quotes are accurate (and I do recall him saying a few of those things in the past), but the timing of them was wrong and misleading.

Then my conclusion is that privately, he is against Obamacare, but publicly he is not because he's a democrat and supporter of Obama.

There's no way you could say and believe those quotes in 2010 (and like I said I AM familiar with a few of them because I heard them from him) and be in favor of Obamacare now.

FantasticDan
09-25-2013, 01:12 PM
Only the ones that come here for care they cannot get at home.
http://www.pnhp.org/news/2012/june/5-myths-about-canada%E2%80%99s-health-care-system

Tom
09-25-2013, 03:31 PM
Could you find a more biased group? :bang:

http://dailycaller.com/2012/07/11/report-thousands-fled-canada-for-health-care-in-2011/

classhandicapper
09-25-2013, 06:15 PM
I'm not so sure why health care gets so politicized because we are all going to suffer badly if we don't get costs under control now. I mean, I'd estimate that the probability that the US eventually has both a major inflationary period and extreme cuts in healthcare due to runaway health care costs at close to a mathematical certainly. It seems to me the "ideal" is to cover everyone with high quality care, but the absolute incontrovertible need is to get costs under control first.

Robert Goren
09-25-2013, 06:18 PM
For the record, the Omaha World Herald ran a brief blurb last week which said that Buffett says he supports Obamacare. The Omaha World Herald is owned by Berkshire Hathaway, Inc., so they probably got it right.
http://www.omaha.com/article/20130917/MONEY/130918814
Kind of sheds a new light on the Weekly Standard.

Tom
09-25-2013, 10:14 PM
Warren Buffet in in the top 0.1% - so how come you guys respect his opinion so much? Isn't he dirty rotten billionaire who comes from Hell and got his money raping, pillaging and plundering?

But Romney was the Devil because he had money.

You guys are such pathetic lemmings......LOOK OUT! A cliff!

Robert Goren
09-26-2013, 07:15 AM
Warren Buffet in in the top 0.1% - so how come you guys respect his opinion so much? Isn't he dirty rotten billionaire who comes from Hell and got his money raping, pillaging and plundering?

But Romney was the Devil because he had money.

You guys are such pathetic lemmings......LOOK OUT! A cliff!It really does hurt conservatives when a self-made rich man turns out to be a liberal. So much so that some of the leading conservative media has to down right lie about him. I got news for you, he isn't the only one!
One more thing, it not was the liberals who followed Romney off the cliff in the last election. :lol: :lol: :lol:

classhandicapper
09-26-2013, 08:12 AM
It really does hurt conservatives when a self-made rich man turns out to be a liberal. So much so that some of the leading conservative media has to down right lie about him. I got news for you, he isn't the only one!
One more thing, it not was the liberals who followed Romney off the cliff in the last election. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Warren is no fool.

He's not the first rich man to realize that being friends with an expansive government has perks that lead to even more wealth accumulation. Plus, as a huge owner of financial institutions directly and with large equity stakes (Well's Fargo, Geico, American Express etc..) it is critical for him to support government institutions and politicians that will bail him out when economic excesses blow up and threaten to wreak havoc on his holdings.