PDA

View Full Version : Survey -- Should College Athletes Get Paid?

highnote
09-14-2013, 11:10 AM
Yes or no -- should college athletes get paid?

wiffleball whizz
09-14-2013, 01:05 PM
Yes but just living expenses....

People tend to forget about free tuition which most people take 20 years to pay off

Rookies
09-14-2013, 01:11 PM
Yes but just living expenses....

People tend to forget about free tuition which most people take 20 years to pay off

Agree with the Wizzer.

NCAA Div 1 is analogous to Triple A MLB is analogous to Major Junior Canadian Hockey Leagues (NHL).

The other two are simply feeders for those sports and the athletes are paid. Why not Foots & Baskets?

wiffleball whizz
09-14-2013, 02:06 PM
I would imagine there are members here who have kids and are paying off those loans.......I'm sure they would have been just as we'll happy if all they had was tuition payed for via scholarship

I attended 1 semester at Rutgers or 4 days before dropping out.....I must have had 30k in scholarships from bowling that never been touched

Scholarships equal getting paid

Rookies
09-14-2013, 02:39 PM
Having scanned U tuition in America, I now know why the insane demand for firearms. :D How many times do parents need to be knocking over 7-11s weekly?

There was a contest recently where some kid scored a basket from far out and won a semester at Ball State... 16 LARGE @ Ball State... for ONE semester! :bang: Not OSU or Harvard or MIT... Ball State.

How does anyone go to school these days, being down 200k when they graduate?

I thought my daughter, who graduated from a fine, east coast Canadian school in 2008, was exorbitant @ almost 7k per year.

cj
09-14-2013, 06:46 PM
Tuition is insane these days. I'd have no problem if athletes were paid, but it should be minimum wage for any hours spent on athletics, nothing more. Somebody figure out the cost of tuition, books, and room and board for five years and see what the total looks like. I know plenty of kids that would kill to put in the hours athletes do working to get all of the above for free.

highnote
09-14-2013, 07:59 PM
How much is a QB like AJ McCarron is worth in revenue?

Saban makes millions. How much would 'bama pay to keep McCarron from leaving to go play somewhere else?

McCarron is one career ending injury away from losing everything, yet, the school, NCAA, etc., makes hundreds of millions.

Free tuition at a state school is not that much in the big scheme of things.

A winning football team draws students to the school.

The question of student athletes getting paid will always be debatable.

Manziel will surely enter the NFL draft next year. I wouldn't blame him. His stock will never be higher.

I think NCAA players should be able to enter the NFL draft at any time.

There are no rules stopping a musician or a computer programmer from turning pro while in college.

Why the double standard?

TheEdge07
09-14-2013, 09:58 PM
Just make sure you pay the entire athletic department..

highnote
09-14-2013, 11:13 PM
Just make sure you pay the entire athletic department..

I agree. If someone is contributing to the school in a way that produces revenue they should get paid commensurate with the revenue they help generate. Saban gets paid a lot because he produces a lot.

How much is McCarron or Manziel worth to their universities?

How much is the person who fills the sports drink coolers worth?

RXB
09-15-2013, 12:13 AM
The problem is that if you pay one student-athlete you'll have to pay them all. And there's no way that someone in a sport with a low profile, minimal revenue generation and relatively low chance of serious injury should be getting paid over and above their scholarship.

Stillriledup
09-15-2013, 03:09 AM
I think that players who are NOT going to play in the NFL should get paid. Money goes in a kitty for players and that money gets divided with some formula and goes to any players who have 0 NFL snaps on their 30th birthday.

The star players shouldnt share in the actual football revenue, shouldnt get a cut of the "gate". BUT, they should get a cut of jersey sales, if they are selling Johnny Manziel jerseys, he ought to get paid a cut of those proceeds.

don
09-15-2013, 09:26 AM
I thought kids went to school to learn and get a degree.

If it's peoples contention that they should be paid because they make money fo the school then they should pay high scoll players too.

don
09-15-2013, 09:30 AM
I need to learn to spell.

It should be high school players.

burnsy
09-15-2013, 10:27 AM
I thought kids went to school to learn and get a degree.

If it's peoples contention that they should be paid because they make money fo the school then they should pay high scoll players too.

How many beer, boner pill and car comercials do you see watching a HS football game? Maybe they should limit "sponser" money that the schools (and tv networks) reel in........although that won't ever happen. Everyone from the coaches to the networks make a fortune off these kids and some of these kids only chance is playing football....most of them (the future pros anyway) are NOT scholars, they are football players, the only boundry between them and the "hood" or trouble is football.

I agree with Whizz, there should be expense accounts for them but i would take it a little furthur. If you can sell your jersey or signed football for a buck...so be it. This is capitalism . Why can Nike, the school, the network and the rest of them make a buck off your name? But you can't? And in most cases we are talking about kids that are not rich, football has gotten them where they are and football is not easy....you can be all done for life in the blink of an eye(much like horse racing). Lets call it what it is....marketing kids as gladiators and treating them like corporate slaves. Coaches with multi million dollar contacts, networks with multi million dollar 30 second commercials. But that kid that took 5k, a meal and a new car......hes the devil.......yeah right......I agree with Highnote. :confused:

Greyfox
09-15-2013, 11:54 AM
How much money do the colleges bring in from these athletes ?

Ticket prices:
Ten Most Expensive Games By Average Listed Ticket Price
1. Alabama @ LSU, $632.71
2. Michigan vs. Bama @ Cowboys Stadium, $595.42
3. Texas vs. Oklahoma @ Cotton Bowl, $541.39
4. Michigan @ Notre Dame, $525.39
5. Auburn @ Alabama, $481.66
6. Florida vs. Georgia @ Everbank Stadium, $463.82
7. Notre Dame v Miami @ Soldier Field, $448.69
8. Notre Dame @ Oklahoma, $419.47
9. Army vs. Navy @ Lincoln Financial Field, $401.31
10. Wisconsin @ Nebraska, $397.82

I've highlighted the Michigan -Bama game above.
Cowboys stadium has seating for 80,000.
For that one game the gate could be $42,000,000.00
TV rights? Also probably large.
Then multiply that by the number of games played in the season.
Okay. That's a popular ticket.
The majority of those young adults will never go on to play pro ball.
What the Universities get in return financially, is probably pretty asymetrical to what the students get.
They have a pretty good golden goose in sponsoring football.

rastajenk
09-15-2013, 12:46 PM
I agree with don, I think. If you start with BCS-level teams, where do you stop? Do FCS teams deserve a stipend? How about D II, D III, NAIA, and whatever else is out there? Probably not going to happen. If you were marginally good, would you rather be deep on the chart, and get paid something, or be first-string somewhere else and not get paid?

I agree that some of the rules could be cleaned up some, to allow for some common sense. But I don't have much sympathy for the poor, exploited worker aspect, toiling away while the rich get richer. Too many unintended consequences for this staunch conservative.

cj
09-15-2013, 01:17 PM
I think that players who are NOT going to play in the NFL should get paid. Money goes in a kitty for players and that money gets divided with some formula and goes to any players who have 0 NFL snaps on their 30th birthday.

The star players shouldnt share in the actual football revenue, shouldnt get a cut of the "gate". BUT, they should get a cut of jersey sales, if they are selling Johnny Manziel jerseys, he ought to get paid a cut of those proceeds.

That is just silly. The players need the money NOW, not when they are 30. They can't get a job because of the time football takes.

Stillriledup
09-15-2013, 04:00 PM
That is just silly. The players need the money NOW, not when they are 30. They can't get a job because of the time football takes.

Im talking about the guys who dont get drafted by NFL teams and go out and get 9 to 5 jobs. Those guys won't mind getting a stipend when they turn 30.

rastajenk
09-15-2013, 04:25 PM
Justice delayed is justice denied, or something like that. :p

Quagmire
09-15-2013, 04:30 PM
Yes. They should get paid but they should have to repay what they get if they leave early for the pros.

Stillriledup
09-15-2013, 04:50 PM
Yes. They should get paid but they should have to repay what they get if they leave early for the pros.

Its better to put their money in an investment vehicle and pay them at 30 (or, when its determined that they arent seeking a career at the next level)

cj
09-15-2013, 05:28 PM
Im talking about the guys who dont get drafted by NFL teams and go out and get 9 to 5 jobs. Those guys won't mind getting a stipend when they turn 30.

Of course not, but they would prefer to get the money now. They'll have jobs when they are 30, we hope.

cj
09-15-2013, 05:29 PM
Its better to put their money in an investment vehicle and pay them at 30 (or, when its determined that they arent seeking a career at the next level)

You are still being ridiculous. Pay them now if they are going to get paid.

wiffleball whizz
09-15-2013, 05:33 PM

Who determines when the next level isn't attainable? Does Mel kiper come in and decide this?

ronsmac
09-15-2013, 06:07 PM
A lot of the good ones in the major sports are getting paid.

Stillriledup
09-15-2013, 06:29 PM
Who determines when the next level isn't attainable? Does Mel kiper come in and decide this?

I think that if you're 30 and havent taken an NFL snap, havent gone to any training camps, havent been seen working out for a team, you're chances of deciding at that moment to try the NFL is .0000000001 percent. Now, do you think 30 is too late? Maybe the cutoff would be 28?

Stillriledup
09-15-2013, 06:30 PM
You are still being ridiculous. Pay them now if they are going to get paid.

But my theory is to pay the people who are not going to become NFL players. Or, maybe you could make them sign a paper that says you have to return the money if you take an NFL snap in a regular season game.

highnote
09-15-2013, 09:48 PM
If you can sell your jersey or signed football for a buck...so be it. This is capitalism . Why can Nike, the school, the network and the rest of them make a buck off your name? ...you can be all done for life in the blink of an eye(much like horse racing).

Good points. Who cares if a kid can make a few bucks selling his autograph. Hell, it's his name -- not the school's!

It's ok to work in the cafeteria for minimum wage, but not sell an autograph?

Horse racing needs to get out of the dark ages. I have zero problem with jockeys wearing ads on their clothing. Who gives a shit? Doesn't seem to hurt Nascar.

I also think Little League players who appear on TV during the Little League World Series should get paid. Advertisers pay big bucks to sponsor those games. Why aren't kids getting a cut?

It really is exploitation. True, the kids love being in the limelight, but they don't know they're being exploited.

We do live in a capitalist country, don't we?

Even Obama has weakened unions with Obamacare, but that's better discussed in off-topic.

If an athlete is getting a $50,000 per year education in exchange for working on the football team then why is he not taxed?

I was taxed when I worked in the library when I went to college.

If a kid was lucky enough to earn say $50,000 for acting in a movie, modeling or playing in a rock band, during the summer and then spends it all on tuition he has to pay taxes on the income. Why is there an exemption for an athletic or other scholarship?

Stillriledup
09-15-2013, 10:23 PM
College football is essentially a "Tryout league" for the NFL. The entire idea of "college athletics" being some holy grail where you can't get paid for playing is the biggest crock going. The olympics are one thing, college football is NOT the olympics, they "hide" the idea that you need an education in order to play football is a joke.

It makes you wonder why the NFL doesnt have a pre-NFL league, where players get paid, its open to ages 17-21 only, players can make what they can make, endorsements etc.

If you were a HS star, would you go to college and get your head busted, your legs busted for FREE or would you go to the pre-NFL and get paid?

What's to stop a rich person or the NFL to open up this 17-21 football league? You would have to imagine that all the top college football recruits would bypass college and go play for money...after all, they can still go enroll in college and get an education when they are 21 years old if they're not cut out for the next level anyway, its not like they HAVE to be educated from 17-21 and give all their blood money to college football.

highnote
09-15-2013, 10:31 PM
Good idea. I like the idea of a pre-NFL league, but why put an age limit on it? A person of any age should be able to play.

College football is essentially a "Tryout league" for the NFL. The entire idea of "college athletics" being some holy grail where you can't get paid for playing is the biggest crock going. The olympics are one thing, college football is NOT the olympics, they "hide" the idea that you need an education in order to play football is a joke.

It makes you wonder why the NFL doesnt have a pre-NFL league, where players get paid, its open to ages 17-21 only, players can make what they can make, endorsements etc.

If you were a HS star, would you go to college and get your head busted, your legs busted for FREE or would you go to the pre-NFL and get paid?

What's to stop a rich person or the NFL to open up this 17-21 football league? You would have to imagine that all the top college football recruits would bypass college and go play for money...after all, they can still go enroll in college and get an education when they are 21 years old if they're not cut out for the next level anyway, its not like they HAVE to be educated from 17-21 and give all their blood money to college football.

Stillriledup
09-15-2013, 10:37 PM
Good idea. I like the idea of a pre-NFL league, but why put an age limit on it? A person of any age should be able to play.

Because people who are older and experienced would "Drop in class" to this league and dominate. I think you would want the league to exactly mimic what college football offers, inexperienced kids who have raw talent but make a lot of mistakes. Letting older people in this league would taint the league and it would just 'turn into a "poor mans nfl" as opposed to a league that is essentially "college football" without the college part.

Quagmire
09-15-2013, 10:37 PM

The NFL already has a feeder system to the pro's in place with the NCAA. Why would they fund one when they are getting it for free?

Stillriledup
09-15-2013, 10:39 PM
The NFL already has a feeder system to the pro's in place with the NCAA. Why would they fund one when they are getting it for free?

Because the NCAA is making most of the money. I'm not sure why the NFL would want to share BILLIONS with college football and universities when they can essentially create a league that would destroy college football and have 90%+ of the players coming in at 17 years old to play for money. Who would want to play on a college team and risk concussions and other serious injuries for the price of college tuition?

Quagmire
09-15-2013, 10:43 PM
Do you think that people would go to or the networks would pay billions for what would basically be minor league football? The only reason college football makes billions at the large schools is because of alumni and tradition. I don't think people would watch minor league football without the traditions of college ball, I could be wrong though.

Stillriledup
09-15-2013, 11:06 PM
Do you think that people would go to or the networks would pay billions for what would basically be minor league football? The only reason college football makes billions at the large schools is because of alumni and tradition. I don't think people would watch minor league football without the traditions of college ball, I could be wrong though.

That's a very good point, but if the NFL opened a league, it would destroy college football, i know there is tradition and alumni, but i tell you that the tradition won't mean a heck of a lot of there are no superstar players. If Clowney, Manziel and other elite college players jumped to the Pre-NFL league, do you think that those alumni would be tuning in to see Joe Blow play? Nobody with a speck of talent would be playing in those college games, the tradition only matters because the best players are pretty good. You would lose that.

Quagmire
09-15-2013, 11:15 PM
That's a very good point, but if the NFL opened a league, it would destroy college football, i know there is tradition and alumni, but i tell you that the tradition won't mean a heck of a lot of there are no superstar players. If Clowney, Manziel and other elite college players jumped to the Pre-NFL league, do you think that those alumni would be tuning in to see Joe Blow play? Nobody with a speck of talent would be playing in those college games, the tradition only matters because the best players are pretty good. You would lose that.

I don't think they would lose any of it. In places like Alabama, Notre Dame etc. they would continue to sell out the stadiums and get big TV ratings.

Stillriledup
09-15-2013, 11:20 PM
I don't think they would lose any of it. In places like Alabama, Notre Dame etc. they would continue to sell out the stadiums and get big TV ratings.

But who would play? Anyone who was any good would go and play for money, don't you think? Those places sell out stadiums because the players and teams are good, people wouldnt be paying top dollar for tickets to see small, slow, unathletic people playing football. All the talent would be in the pay for play league.

Quagmire
09-15-2013, 11:25 PM
But who would play? Anyone who was any good would go and play for money, don't you think? Those places sell out stadiums because the players and teams are good, people wouldnt be paying top dollar for tickets to see small, slow, unathletic people playing football. All the talent would be in the pay for play league.

How many players make the NFL now from a typical top 10 team, 3 or 4 a year?
The alumni don't care about the talent on the field they just want to win so USC alums can having bragging rights over UCLA or Ohio St can have them over Michigan.
How many teams would you have in this pre NFL?

Quagmire
09-15-2013, 11:31 PM
The NFL had a league for players that weren't ready to make NFL rosters for a while. It was called the NFL Europe, they played in Europe because they would not draw any fans in the US.
The NBA has something called the D League which is a developmental league. NCAA basketball is still doing well.

Stillriledup
09-15-2013, 11:32 PM
How many players make the NFL now from a typical top 10 team, 3 or 4 a year?
The alumni don't care about the talent on the field they just want to win so USC alums can having bragging rights over UCLA or Ohio St can have them over Michigan.
How many teams would you have in this pre NFL?

You wouldnt have any bragging rights, you would just have the best 17-21 year olds talentwise. Maybe you're right that Alums wouldnt care and they would brag, i just have to really question the patience of the hardcore fanbase watching really slow and unathletic players while all along knowing that a turn of the channel, gets you to see Clowney, Manziel, etc.

TV is huge, i can't imagine there would be too many people tuning in to see a college game with really bad players while playing at the same time, on a different channel, is the Pre-NFL with the elite young players in the world.

Maybe i'm wrong though, its certainly an interesting debate.

Quagmire
09-15-2013, 11:39 PM
TV is huge, i can't imagine there would be too many people tuning in to see a college game with really bad players while playing at the same time, on a different channel, is the Pre-NFL with the elite young players in the world.

Happens all the time down here in Fla when people watch the Gators when FSU is on another channel. :)

highnote
09-15-2013, 11:59 PM
I would set up the pre-NFL teams near the big college campuses and/or in or near large metropolitan areas.

This way the kids could still go to college while they got paid to play on a pre-NFL team.

Stillriledup
09-16-2013, 03:14 AM
I would set up the pre-NFL teams near the big college campuses and/or in or near large metropolitan areas.

This way the kids could still go to college while they got paid to play on a pre-NFL team.

I like it. This way, the kids can pay their own way into school from the money they make playing ball and not have to feel "obligated" to give the school all the money they would make if they were allowed to "Sell" themselves as spokesmen, etc.

highnote
09-16-2013, 11:37 AM
The Canadians have a system in place for young players. I think the young kids are even drafted to play for the feeder teams and go to live with host families.

ronsmac
09-16-2013, 04:16 PM
Was it Michael Irvin who said the hardest thing about going to the nfl was the pay cut?

Stillriledup
09-16-2013, 05:55 PM
Was it Michael Irvin who said the hardest thing about going to the nfl was the pay cut?

Wow, that's funny. I think that the NCAA, for the most part, probably looks the other way in most cases (unless you're high profile) and they let the boosters fill the pockets of the high end recruits...because the NCAA knows that if these guys get paid under the table, they won't cry and scream about getting paid by THEM. Its good business for the NCAA to look the other way. As time goes on and concussions become more and more in the spotlight, players are going to be less and less likely to want to play for free.

I'm not sure why you would play college football for free, its amazing that the NFL is permitted to enforce age restrictions considering they're a monopoly.