PDA

View Full Version : Mike Trout, the boy wonder.

Stillriledup
09-12-2013, 08:41 PM
So, its kind of official that Trout is the greatest player of his age who has ever played in MLB history. Here's my question. What is the difference between Trout and lets say....someone like Mickey Mantle from a non-baseball perspective? Mantle was the "boy wonder" in his generation, yet, Mike Trout is largely unknown in mainstream society. Was Mickey Mantle or Willie Mays "unknown" by mainstream society when they played?

If Trout is as good as anyone who's played who is this young, why isnt he more "known" in the "real world"?

Seems like society in 2013 rewards mediocre talent as long as the person does something outrageous. We spend so much time talking about Miley Cyrus, an average talent who takes her clothes off, lindsey lohan, another average talent who has all sorts of problems, Lamar Odom who's wrecking his life with drugs and is married into a family with no talent, who are all infinitely more famous than Michael Nelson Trout and the list goes on and on.

Its a shame that the list of "outrageous" people who have average talent is what we want to talk about.

We need to get our priorities straight. I know, everyone loves a good train wreck but geez, how many train wrecks to we need to see?

Stillriledup
04-29-2014, 06:40 AM
Put the MVP trophy in the mail, Mike Trout will win MVP in 2014, this is his year folks.

Valuist
04-29-2014, 11:52 AM
Athletes have become diminished in importance, unless they are the ultra superstars (Tiger, Lebron, Peyton). Apparently we have become a society who'd rather watch housewives who have absolutely no talent whatsoever, than a true talent like Trout.

But back at the height of popularity for players like Mantle, or Ted Williams, baseball, boxing and horse racing were the big sports. Now football has crushed all of them. Boxing? Can anybody name a heavyweight now? Only fighters I can name now are Meriweather and Pacquiao. Horse racing? We love it here but just check the papers. Many major papers used to carry full result charts from their local track. Does anybody do that anymore? Many had daily graded handicaps. Now you might get entries and a line. Maybe.

Its just a different time. I think society rewards those without talent who are outrageous because, a) there's a lot of idiots in society, and they can easily relate to them. Why spend years working at a skill, like a Mike Trout, when one can get rich by being a gold-digging woman?

Stillriledup
07-01-2014, 06:34 PM
is he the best who's ever played?

MutuelClerk
07-01-2014, 06:44 PM
He's probably had the best three year start for an offensive player. It's all subjective. But he is a very well rounded player. I'm pretty sure Trout won't be moved up on a liver list later in his life just because he's Mike Trout ( unlike Mantle). So he's got that going for him......

AndyC
07-01-2014, 06:55 PM
I think Albert Pujols had a better first 3 years. Avg for first 3 years was .334. Avg HRs was 38. Avg RBIs was 127.

Valuist
07-02-2014, 10:02 AM

Way too early to make that claim. Are you talking about the best ever at age 21? Or the best ever, which is about an entire career? Ask me in 20 years and we will have a better idea. IMO, the best players ever were Ruth and Mays.

BTW, there's another player in the LA area (Puig) who could be just as good, if not better, than Trout. I believe Puig has more natural talent. We'll see if he can keep his head clear.

Tor Ekman
07-02-2014, 10:06 AM
No, that's Roy Hobbs

goatchaser
07-03-2014, 09:40 PM
Times have changed. 1957 there was no Major League Baseball on the West Coast when Mantle and Mays came up. Their were 16 teams in baseball. Players were idolized more because from the midwest to the West there were no teams. Not till 1958 did Baseball come West. What we got was a game on a Sat TV and our News Papers. 16 total teams played in 1957. That now has changed and the teams have doubled and are now in every region. Hate to see a 21 yo kid being hated because he's not with your team. So far this an all american Kid. who loves playing the game and has a smile on his face every game. Don't think he's been thrown out of game over a strike call. His Speed, Power, Fielding, are tops in the Majors, with an average arm. Doesn't throw his bat 20 feet or stand and admire his Home Run before running the bases. Runs out every ground ball. Does not disrespect the game. And now your calling him the All American Boy like it's a bad thing? Probably after bashing some guy who was an ass on the field. Be Thankful you have a Kid like this in the game. Makes it a pleasure to be an Angels Fan. Probably only writing this because I'm going to the game Sat. But until he F@#$s up and does something wrong....Best to praise a kid who at 19 was 2nd in the MPV race and at 20 2nd in the MVP race as well. He was also player of the Month in June. I'm proud that he's on my team even if the Angels probably won't make the playoffs again. Unless they can get some help in the Pen and Albert and Josh can stay healthy. And I like this big Kid they have C. J. Cron. Young and strong as a bull. Needs some time still. But he's the reason they released Raul Ibanez. Liked him but was sliding some at age 42. Royals picked him up and I wish him the best.

Stillriledup
07-05-2014, 04:32 AM
Trout does it again. Incredible.

MutuelClerk
07-05-2014, 09:01 AM
Fastest guy in the league. And the longest HR this season. Very impressive at his age.

Tor Ekman
07-05-2014, 09:09 AM
Best athlete in MLB since Bo Jackson

goatchaser
07-06-2014, 01:07 PM
Went to the game last night. Trout was 0-4 with 2 strike outs. But did get to see Pujols tie Mel Ott for 23rd all time on the HR List. Angels score 8 in the 5th. Love the big Kid CJ Cron who hit a 2 run HR in the Inning. He's a Rookie and needs more seasoning. But could replace the power they lost when they traded Trumbo. Santiago the starter last night is useless. Not going far unless they get a Front line starter during the All Star Break.

Valuist
07-07-2014, 10:03 AM
Fastest guy in the league. And the longest HR this season. Very impressive at his age.

There's two guys in the NL who would blow him off the track: Hamilton and Dee Gordon. Trout would need a 10 yard start in a 40 yard dash against them. And throw in Tony Campana as well, if he's still on the D-Backs.

Bettowin
07-07-2014, 11:23 AM

No way is he the fastest guy in the league. Maybe the fastest guy in the league with power.

Bettowin
07-07-2014, 11:24 AM
There's two guys in the NL who would blow him off the track: Hamilton and Dee Gordon. Trout would need a 10 yard start in a 40 yard dash against them. And throw in Tony Campana as well, if he's still on the D-Backs.

Jerod Dyson is in that group.

goatchaser
07-07-2014, 01:23 PM
No way is he the fastest guy in the league. Maybe the fastest guy in the league with power.
Peter Bourjos who the Angels traded to St Louis Last year was faster than Trout. If you ever get a chance to watch him run the bases. The kid is amazingly fast.

goatchaser
07-07-2014, 01:32 PM
He didn't start running full speed till he hit between 1st and 2nd. You can see him shift gears. Bourjos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRQiPtrqMEM

goatchaser
07-07-2014, 01:42 PM
Look how far he has to make this catch and he didn't have to dive. Even Trout seems amazed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njwj-xBrMlE

AndyC
07-07-2014, 03:48 PM
Peter Bourjos who the Angels traded to St Louis Last year was faster than Trout. If you ever get a chance to watch him run the bases. The kid is amazingly fast.

Unfortunately for Bourjos he can't steal first base.

For a person being faster than Trout he certainly is not as proficient as Trout in stealing bases.

Stillriledup
07-07-2014, 04:34 PM
Trout is the most interesting baseball player in the world. He runs as fast as he needs to run, he's the fastest guy.....

Stay thirsty boys. :D

Stillriledup
11-13-2014, 10:41 PM
Put the MVP trophy in the mail, Mike Trout will win MVP in 2014, this is his year folks.

Hmmmm. This appears to have been posted on April 29th. ;)

Robert Fischer
11-14-2014, 08:50 AM

Good Call :ThmbUp: ;)

MutuelClerk
11-14-2014, 11:25 AM
Good call on a 3-5 shot SRU. This kid is on pace to break so many records. I think baseball needs to add another award. Most Outstanding Player. When you say MVP award you can take liberties with the word valuable. Trout has been the most outstanding player the past three seasons in the MLB. And should have at least one more of these awards.