PDA

View Full Version : oaklawn park

foul
03-09-2004, 08:24 PM
I am going to oaklawn for the races of March 17/18,19, and 20th.
Would like any advice on handicapping this track. Trainers, jockeys, bias, or anything that might help. I would like to check the pars-- what tracks do most of the horses feed in from?

Thanks - Foul

ceejay
03-09-2004, 08:47 PM
You might check out:
http://www.hottalkers.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

JustRalph
03-09-2004, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by ceejay
You might check out:
http://www.hottalkers.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

These guys have Oaklawn covered and are some pretty damn good cappers all the way around.

Pace Cap'n
03-09-2004, 11:02 PM
For many years I've made the pilgrimmage to Oaklawn. As much for the ambience as a quest for profit.

Trainers--Cole Norman, Steve Asmussen. Hard to make much with them, hard to bet against them. CN seems to have better luck with his 3 or 5-1 runners than with his even money shots, for some reason.

Most of the jockeys seem quite capable, no major standouts. Theriot riding for Norman has been potent this year. Greta K. is good for a longshot every so often.

Seems to be quite a bit of "smart money" at times. If you see a horse at 4-1 to 10-1 ML, and the first flash of the tote it opens at 2-1 and stays there, don't bet against it.

After the races, be sure to visit Mrs. Millers for catfish and fried chicken. For something more upscale, try the Hamilton House on the lake.

If possible, bring a few 5-gallon jugs to fill with free spring water from the fountain downtown. Comes out hot, but it will cool off for the best drinking water ever.

Walk around dowtown. Check out the old spa museum. Visit the observation tower.

Have fun and good luck.

Figman
03-09-2004, 11:27 PM
I agree on Mrs. Miller's. Used to be a favorite of trainer Woody Stephens too. There were two barbeque restaurants that were real good too...McClards and Stubbies. Are they still around?

Larry Hamilton
03-10-2004, 12:11 AM
Here are 3 trainers to look out for. When they bet a hoss down, they win over 50%.

Roger F Engel
Leroy Helman
David Vance

Here are three trainers to take advantage of. When their barn bets a hoss down they win less than 5% of their bets:

Barry Germany
Darrin Miller
Randy Goodman

hurrikane
03-10-2004, 07:27 AM
Thanks Larry,

I hadn't looked that closely at trainers losing on the bet down.

I'm guessing enlarged egos of the owners maybe?

I have some other Oaklawn stuff at home. When I get off the road I'll post some.

foul
03-10-2004, 07:59 AM
Thanks guys. Looking forward to the week at Oaklawn. My son went to college at Arkansas Tech just north of Hot Springs. All your help is appreciated. Will check in after work today. foul

Larry Hamilton
03-10-2004, 02:34 PM
Randy Goodman just lost race 2 at OP with the favorite at 3:2

Speed Figure
03-10-2004, 02:44 PM
Does anyone know why oaklawn has no "pick4"?:( :confused:

PSTfredk
03-10-2004, 06:09 PM
because the idiot that owns it doesn't want it.

you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink

who the h**l said that. favorites are running rampant

that why you have had very very few good pick six

carry overs