PDA

View Full Version : Okie State footballl program

melman
09-11-2013, 12:19 PM
Want to get a high national ranking? Big crowds, big money. Just cheat a bit. Wonder how many years probation this will be worth.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20130911/oklahoma-state-part-2-academics/?sct=hp_t11_a2&eref=sihp

cj
09-11-2013, 03:23 PM
Want to get a high national ranking? Big crowds, big money. Just cheat a bit. Wonder how many years probation this will be worth.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20130911/oklahoma-state-part-2-academics/?sct=hp_t11_a2&eref=sihp

It could very well turn out I'll be wrong, but I suspect there isn't a whole lot of fire once you sift through the smoke. I doubt there are any squeaky clean programs out there, and I don't think OSU will turn out to be much better or worse than most others. We'll see...

wiffleball whizz
09-11-2013, 09:16 PM
It could very well turn out I'll be wrong, but I suspect there isn't a whole lot of fire once you sift through the smoke. I doubt there are any squeaky clean programs out there, and I don't think OSU will turn out to be much better or worse than most others. We'll see...

Don't worry after Saturday this story goes away......les miles is the golden child and walks on water and everything always goes his way

I'd go to my grave saying ever since hurricane Katrina the saints and lsu catch every break known to man

What I'm saying is the NCAA doesn't wanna hurt lsu here with les miles

Dahoss2002
09-12-2013, 03:34 AM
What I'm saying is the NCAA doesn't wanna hurt lsu here with les miles

I'm an LSU fan but Miles is dragged into this by SI because his name carries more clout than Gundy's. Sells more issues of SI. As far as LSU or Miles being hurt by this..........I think he is well past any statute of limitations. Like CJ said, a bunch of smoke. Here's some nice reading from a former OSU player http://newsok.com/oklahoma-state-tales-from-a-les-miles-walkon/article/3881699?custom_click=rss

GaryG
09-12-2013, 09:14 AM
Dexter was a big time defensive lineman for Washington and others in the 80s. He attended OSU for four years. After leaving football he announced that he was functionally illiterate. Don't recall that this brought any heat on the university though. Now I am sure there are similar cases at other football factories, but this one was well publicized.

wiffleball whizz
09-12-2013, 10:03 AM
Did anybody hear Boone Pickens on espn say he donated 500 or 800 million to the university? Pretty sure the football stadium is named after him

Bettowin
09-12-2013, 10:43 AM
Texas is desperate and sick of losing recruits to other Big 12 schools so they are behind this? Conspiracy Theory:)

cj
09-12-2013, 11:15 AM
Dexter was a big time defensive lineman for Washington and others in the 80s. He attended OSU for four years. After leaving football he announced that he was functionally illiterate. Don't recall that this brought any heat on the university though. Now I am sure there are similar cases at other football factories, but this one was well publicized.

He went there in the 70s, right? It was the wild west back then in college football, and OSU was FAR from a football factory.

cj
09-12-2013, 11:28 AM
I'm an LSU fan but Miles is dragged into this by SI because his name carries more clout than Gundy's. Sells more issues of SI. As far as LSU or Miles being hurt by this..........I think he is well past any statute of limitations. Like CJ said, a bunch of smoke. Here's some nice reading from a former OSU player http://newsok.com/oklahoma-state-tales-from-a-les-miles-walkon/article/3881699?custom_click=rss

Well stated in the article. It just seems very odd that the stars, the guys in the NFL, didn't get money and these shady guys did. There are lots of ex-players with no agenda (other than defending their school) questioning the character of these so called "sources". Where is the evidence?

Sounds like one of the writers has a history, if you believe Brandon Weeden. He was not a kid when he went to college:

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2013/09/brandon_weeden_rips_into_sport.html

I did get a chuckle out of this comment below the article (even though Weeden was oustanding in college, still funny):

"somebody please tell our starting qb that OSU only paid the GOOD players. of course he never saw any of that."

melman
09-14-2013, 09:08 AM
I agree with the writer of this article. It's IMO a very sad state. Just blame all others are doing it, no evidence etc. NCAA football and basketball are ALL about the money. Cheating at not just Okie State but plenty of other places. All this at places of so called "higher education". Sad, very sad.

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/09/11/4475164/ncaa-to-blame-for-fans-apathy.html

cj
09-14-2013, 04:56 PM
I agree with the writer of this article. It's IMO a very sad state. Just blame all others are doing it, no evidence etc. NCAA football and basketball are ALL about the money. Cheating at not just Okie State but plenty of other places. All this at places of so called "higher education". Sad, very sad.

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/09/11/4475164/ncaa-to-blame-for-fans-apathy.html

Talk about being ALL about the money...seems SI is doing the exact same thing here. All the hype to this story, and it was just that, hype with no real substance.

I'm with you, college sports are a joke these days. They are just pro sports pretending to be amateur. But this series of articles was amateurish also and in my opinion is it was done trying to revive some interest in a dying product.

melman
09-14-2013, 05:04 PM
If SI is doing the same thing then you should have no problem with them cj. After all it's all part of the game. IMO you are using the Lance Armstrong tactic. Blame the other guys. Hey that worked for many many years. After all what was the Okie State football program for a long time. The T Boone started handing out the cash. Now there a big time program with big crowds, big money and high ranking. Talk about reviving a dead program.

cj
09-14-2013, 06:43 PM
If SI is doing the same thing then you should have no problem with them cj. After all it's all part of the game. IMO you are using the Lance Armstrong tactic. Blame the other guys. Hey that worked for many many years. After all what was the Okie State football program for a long time. The T Boone started handing out the cash. Now there a big time program with big crowds, big money and high ranking. Talk about reviving a dead program.

I'm not excusing anything, I just don't know that this stuff actually happened. You think T Boone Pickens was paying players? Now you are making up stuff, just like I think SI did. I don't think even SI went that far in their allegations.

I'll be more than happy to condemn OSU (not that anyone cares what I think), but show me some real proof, not this crap SI is putting out as investigative reporting. There are two sides to every story, and I don't think anybody bothered to try to get the OSU side. These guys they are using as sources would be laughed out of court if somebody tried to use them as witnesses.

melman
09-14-2013, 06:58 PM
Talk about making things up I did NOT say T Boone was paying players. I do know for a FACT that he put a lot of cash into the Okie State program. The article I linked to feels that Okie State deserves some punishment. I guess he is a amautar also. The players quoted are all low lifes I guess that includes the one playing for the Cowboys. They are all out to get Okie State. And all for no reason other than to sell magazines. Sure sounds like the Lance Armstrong tactic to me.

melman
09-14-2013, 07:10 PM
I'll end my comments on this topic by saying I think there is only one big time school left that I respect. Stanford. I'll root for them in all NCAA sports. I don't think anyone would write any story like SI did about Stanford.
I wish that in both the NCAA level and the pro level there were more people like Mariano Rivera. What a class act and what a great way to go out with his last year. Taking care of "the little guys" who work the parks he played in. Thank You Mr Rivera.

cj
09-14-2013, 07:21 PM
Talk about making things up I did NOT say T Boone was paying players. I do know for a FACT that he put a lot of cash into the Okie State program. The article I linked to feels that Okie State deserves some punishment. I guess he is a amautar also. The players quoted are all low lifes I guess that includes the one playing for the Cowboys. They are all out to get Okie State. And all for no reason other than to sell magazines. Sure sounds like the Lance Armstrong tactic to me.

I misunderstood what you meant about Pickens. Yes, he donated a lot of money. What successful program doesn't have big money boosters? I would say his money is the main reason the program has risen to prominence. No big surprise there, is it?

The guy in the article you mentioned did nothing but give his opinion. He offered nothing new, just basically assumed the SI stuff was accurate. There is lots of doubt about that. He not only assumes it is true, he lauds them as the country's "grandest sports publication". Twenty years ago, sure, but that time has come and gone. Yahoo does more to break stories than SI does.

I can tell you this, I know A LOT now about this story. It was the only talk on all the stations and in all the papers for days. There are lots of people here that HATE Oklahoma State, and would love to see them fry. But even that faction of Oklahomans has basically admitted there isn't much here, at least not proven. Maybe some day more will come out, but for now it looks like a writer with an agenda that did an editorial piece with little evidence. If you want to punish a school and use them as an example, you have to give more than this guy did. He isn't remotely close to providing enough despite ten months of investigation.