PDA

View Full Version : The nonsense of the two party system

burnsy
09-11-2013, 11:23 AM
Sometimes i read these threads and keep my mouth shut. Some people probably wish i always did. But when you post something trying to make one side sound great and the other sound like satan.....i tend to boil.

Don't sit there and tell me how great one guy was or how bad the other guy is we have a two party system and BOTH sides have particpated in the "great ideas" that have unfolded in the last 30 years or so. Yeah, you can see the WWE wrestling match over abortion, gay marriage, contraception and the like. As a libretarian its mostly crap i feel the govt has no place in anyway.

But when it comes down to nuts and bolts policy decisions. We get the same garbage. If you can not see that there are powerful people that pretty much determine our policy moves REGAURDLESS of who gets the votes....you are pretty blind. The media is part of this brain washing too and part of the power grab. They allow the same corporations to own the major medias, so if you listen to them and can't think for yourself....they sell you crap you want to hear. When i watch MSNBC or FOX its for the laughs mostly. But somehow people believe in it, its amazing. Why don't people wake up? Neither one of these parties is a great shake for the average Joe out there. If you don't have a check for them, they would rather piss on you and let the "unbiased media" tell you how bad the other guy is and how great their people are. Oh yeah, and they have not figured out that Americans love the bandwagon? If you are different or see different ideas...which is what we REALLY NEED...somehow thats just crazy talk...yeah ok, things are going so well. Lets keep the status quo and bitch over it. I wonder why the media plays to that? :lol:

johnhannibalsmith
09-11-2013, 11:29 AM
"Don't you touch hard liquor, just a cup... of cold coff...fee..."

Sorry, just felt the need to parlay off the signature since there isn't much for me to argue with or even add in the actual post.

Rookies
09-11-2013, 11:41 AM
Canada and many other Western democracies have multiple party systems. Here we have 2 middle of the roaders, one leaning left and one right, plus a moderate left wing Social Democratic Party I support, plus incredibly one based on defence of one geographic area who wants to separate!

Not perfect by any means, but it does provide for waaaaay more choice than America.

Dave Schwartz
09-11-2013, 12:01 PM
Okay, this might sound like blasphemy, but it does build a case of the parliamentary system.

The idea that there must be a cohesion between the parties sounds like a good one.

Magister Ludi
09-11-2013, 12:22 PM
If you can not see that there are powerful people that pretty much determine our policy moves REGAURDLESS of who gets the votes....you are pretty blind.

"The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again: but already it was impossible to say which was which."

ArlJim78
09-11-2013, 12:35 PM
I'm always puzzled by talk of the US "two party system".
People act like this is something that is mandated in our constitution.
Burnsy said he's a libertarian. Okay newsflash, there is a Libertarian Party.

I say forget about party. We're in a battle of two classes: Washington (big government Rep and Dem, big business, big labor, wealthy political contributors, etc) vs. the states and the individual. Washington has all the power and is beating the states and the individual over the head into submission.

Yes once politicians get to Washington most of them become representatives of Washington, they sing from the same playbook regardless of where they come from or what party they belong too.

The problem is in this country that a majority of people want big government, they want to know what government is going to do for them, and they don't seem to mind how much money is borrowed from the future to pay for it, and they don't seem to mind how many encroachments on individual liberty are made. People have become like docile sheep and that is exactly what Washington wants.

People have forgotten or perhaps never knew that Washington is suposed to be constrained by the constitution, to have a very limited scope of power, with everything else reserved to the states. Look how far we've come, or I should say how far we've fallen.

LottaKash
09-11-2013, 12:37 PM
Our current system is certainly wanting these days....The checks and balances that were put into place long ago, are not working these days....

Executive Orders are the "new government" today....That is scary business to me....

The rest of Congress are either too busy stuffing their pockets, or licking the dirty boots of the master, while so many of the other wimpier ones, who actually may care, are too afraid of intimidation or extortion to be of any real use to the people any longer....We are becoming more lost as a self governing nation, as I see this, with each passing day and election....Big Boy is coming soon...:eek: ...very..

HUSKER55
09-11-2013, 12:46 PM
Dave, what makes you think a parliament or a unicameral will bring about cohesion?

There is a division in the opinion of voters. While everyone, including me, bitch at times, the reality is that our system is working at its' best.

Do I think the Federal government has its' nose into way too much...YES! I would like a smaller federal government. I think the states should control more.

Do I think our current politicians are a bunch of crooks....DAMN STRAIGHT!

THE SYSTEM WORKS FINE. The INTEGRITY of our politicians is not. Therefore the system is perceived as bad when in reality it is the people.

Dave Schwartz
09-11-2013, 12:49 PM
Dave, what makes you think a parliament or a unicameral will bring about cohesion?

My understanding...

When the current government stops working together, it forces a re-work.

(I must admit to only cursory understanding of the system.)

nomad1102
09-11-2013, 01:47 PM
Sometimes i read these threads and keep my mouth shut. Some people probably wish i always did. But when you post something trying to make one side sound great and the other sound like satan.....i tend to boil.

Don't sit there and tell me how great one guy was or how bad the other guy is we have a two party system and BOTH sides have particpated in the "great ideas" that have unfolded in the last 30 years or so. Yeah, you can see the WWE wrestling match over abortion, gay marriage, contraception and the like. As a libretarian its mostly crap i feel the govt has no place in anyway.

But when it comes down to nuts and bolts policy decisions. We get the same garbage. If you can not see that there are powerful people that pretty much determine our policy moves REGAURDLESS of who gets the votes....you are pretty blind. The media is part of this brain washing too and part of the power grab. They allow the same corporations to own the major medias, so if you listen to them and can't think for yourself....they sell you crap you want to hear. When i watch MSNBC or FOX its for the laughs mostly. But somehow people believe in it, its amazing. Why don't people wake up? Neither one of these parties is a great shake for the average Joe out there. If you don't have a check for them, they would rather piss on you and let the "unbiased media" tell you how bad the other guy is and how great their people are. Oh yeah, and they have not figured out that Americans love the bandwagon? If you are different or see different ideas...which is what we REALLY NEED...somehow thats just crazy talk...yeah ok, things are going so well. Lets keep the status quo and bitch over it. I wonder why the media plays to that? :lol:

You are sooo correct.

The Working Class is robbed through Crony Capitalism while at the same time forced to finance the irresponsible.

Big Government regulation prevents the working class from competing on a global level where foreign regulations barely exist.

Crony Capitalism allowed foreign manufacturing by US companies without regulation knowing it would crush the US worker - all for the gain of big business. Give the US worker a fair playing field and we can compete.

The irresponsible are taking money from responsible families that have only the number of children they can afford to feed, house, cloth, and educate. While the irresponsible are rewarded with $$$$ for every child they bring into the world. The working class resents being forced to support the irresponsible.

The working class are united on many of similar above issues but...

The parties that exist keep the working class vote separated through issues of abortion, gun rights, contraception, gay marriage... to maintain control of the $$$$$$$$ and power.

Keeping the working class middle of the road voters separated and catering to the extreme is how they win elections.

The working class has no representation.

LottaKash
09-11-2013, 02:05 PM
You are sooo correct.

The Working Class is robbed through Crony Capitalism while at the same time forced to finance the irresponsible.

Big Government regulation prevents the working class from competing on a global level where foreign regulations barely exist.

Crony Capitalism allowed foreign manufacturing by US companies without regulation knowing it would crush the US worker - all for the gain of big business. Give the US worker a fair playing field and we can compete.

The irresponsible are taking money from responsible families that have only the number of children they can afford to feed, house, cloth, and educate. While the irresponsible are rewarded with $$$$ for every child they bring into the world. The working class resents being forced to support the irresponsible.

The working class are united on many of similar above issues but...

The parties that exist keep the working class vote separated through issues of abortion, gun rights, contraception, gay marriage... to maintain control of the $$$$$$$$ and power.

Keeping the working class middle of the road voters separated and catering to the extreme is how they win elections.

The working class has no representation.

Spot on Nomad, imo.....:ThmbUp:

We are heading to a strange, new place (new to this country, at least)....I don't like the new heading, in the least...:ThmbDown:

Tom
09-11-2013, 03:37 PM
The effectiveness of any government is the result of the integrity of those who are in it.

We have met the enemy, it is them.

DJofSD
09-11-2013, 04:00 PM
We don't have a two party system. There are more than two political parties but the difference between the two major parties isn't worth a bucket of spit.

What we do have is a two class system: the politically elite and the unwashed masses.

Our government does not fear us. We are loathed.

RunForTheRoses
09-11-2013, 04:11 PM
"Don't you touch hard liquor, just a cup... of cold coff...fee..."

Sorry, just felt the need to parlay off the signature since there isn't much for me to argue with or even add in the actual post.

Goes to show you don't ever know watch each card...

Dave Schwartz
09-11-2013, 05:04 PM
Our government does not fear us. We are loathed.

Sounds like the treatment horse players are used to from track management.

Robert Goren
09-11-2013, 06:30 PM
Sounds like the treatment horse players are used to from track management.Horse players are treated better in most cases.

nat1223
09-11-2013, 06:39 PM
it just allows the two parties to argue like children

Tom
09-11-2013, 11:02 PM
The way it should be is the winners goes to Congress, the loser is executed.
That would thin the herd.

riskman
09-11-2013, 11:27 PM
"The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again: but already it was impossible to say which was which."
Republicans and Democrats are two cheeks of the same ass. Is that what you mean? :lol:

nomad1102
09-12-2013, 01:08 PM
Republicans and Democrats are two cheeks of the same ass. Is that what you mean? :lol:

Yep.. and the working class slips between the crack-s.