PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP - are you still using it?

DJofSD
09-08-2013, 09:09 AM
Short version of a long story: I am in the middle of installing Windows XP SP3 on a Vista era HP laptop. I've hit a few bumps in the road but I believe I am past those issues.

But, I recalled the is a dead line for $MSFT to withdraw support, and, yes, it is April, 2014.

So, for those still running a PC using XP, are you worried?

If not, why not?

HUSKER55
09-08-2013, 09:45 AM
I WENT to Windows7. I did not like XP. I buy the new office every three years with enough licenses for us and the Mary's grandkids. I am trying to make sure they have the recent computer tools to make it thru school.

I can only hope it helps in the end.

JustRalph
09-08-2013, 09:51 AM
Short version of a long story: I am in the middle of installing Windows XP SP3 on a Vista era HP laptop. I've hit a few bumps in the road but I believe I am past those issues.

But, I recalled the is a dead line for $MSFT to withdraw support, and, yes, it is April, 2014.

So, for those still running a PC using XP, are you worried?

If not, why not?

Just because they withdraw support doesn't mean it's dead. A million places online to get support. They usually last for years........it normally means there just won't be any more driver updates from Microsoft, or security updates etc.

DJofSD
09-08-2013, 10:08 AM
Just because they withdraw support doesn't mean it's dead. A million places online to get support. They usually last for years........it normally means there just won't be any more driver updates from Microsoft, or security updates etc.
Yes, I understand that withdrawing support does not mean it is not usable. Not to put too fine a point on it, my entire career has been in IT.

The point you make about updates for drivers and security updates are very, very well taken. The bumps in the road I mention in the start of the thread were exactly that -- Device Manager had a big list of non-working devices because no driver existed, and, this was after I installed all of the updates which came with SP3. The biggest of those was no connectivity -- ouch! That took a bit of time and effort (that's actually a long story) but I was finally able to fix that and now I am a happy camper.

Further, the point about lack of updates after the official withdraw of support deadline has past is exactly why I started the thread. Security, device support along with the ripple effect that other vendors will also finally quit XP will put a lot of people and businesses between a rock and a hard place.

So, another way to put the at large question: is it you don't care or you just are unaware of the predicament you could find yourself in when something goes wrong?

wilderness
09-08-2013, 10:32 AM
The primary problem with continued use of XP versions is with restores and the potential unavailability of updates.
In versions of Windoze through Win 98, you could actually download and save the updates, although the updates were never in the quantities that versions post-Win98 are.

The key to continued use of XP (what ever version you have; I've 3 different ones on three different machines) will be in your ability to document your currently active updates, and then go to the MS page and download (rather than install) those updates:

How do I update manually (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973135) see Step 5

I did locate a small utility that was supposed to show a list of the updates, however all it provided to the machine I'm currently using (XP 64 Pro) was the solitary SP update.

Thus the only solution to get a list of the updates was to go into CP and take screen shots.

Then use the screen shots to determine and download the updates manually.

Looks like I'll need to do that on three machines :)

DJofSD
09-08-2013, 10:58 AM
Don, have you ever considered building a slip-streamed CD?

Dave Schwartz
09-08-2013, 11:46 AM
We have mostly Win7 machines, but a few XP machines still hanging on.

Ironically, the oldest machines are the fastest.

Most of our Win7 machines are XP-era machines. As such, they will not go beyond 3gb of RAM without upgrading the motherboards, RAM, processor. IOW, building a new machine.

To that end, almost all of the Win7 installations are 32-bit.

As for your original question... re-installing from scratch is a real tough issue. I always pass it off to our tech guys. They charge me $70 to take a machine through the entire install process - and another $50 to apply all the upgrades -including drivers. I have just found that it is worth the cost for them to address the problems instead of me working at it.

We still use 3 AMD 2200 machines in our NOC and - get this - still have a webserver running (Linux) on a 13-year old 600MHz machine!

Tom
09-08-2013, 12:02 PM
I use XP and have no intention of moving on.

I might have W7 on my teeny notebook, not sure, but I won't spend the money to re-buy every I already bought 7 times. there is nothing past W98 I really want or need. I went to XP kicking and scratching.

rosenowsr
09-08-2013, 12:18 PM
I run WinXP as a virtual machine. When XP stops support I plan on getting the paid version of MalWare Bytes and hope that it keeps the hackers at bay for me.
Any further suggestions or comments are appreciated.

headhawg
09-08-2013, 12:44 PM
I built a new machine toward the end of last year. As much as I liked and was comfortable with XP I wanted some of the features found in Win 7 Pro so that's what I am using now. In many respects I still prefer XP, but the future support issue and security holes made me apprehensive to keep it.

Like Tom, I didn't want to move from Win 9x to XP either, but if you want to have the most workable M$ OS then you have to upgrade, and Win 7 seems to be the one. Win 8 is just stupid (although I understand M$'s logic) and the update isn't going to make it better. See this from a guy whose opinion I respect: http://www.tweakguides.com/Windows81_1.html

DJofSD
09-08-2013, 12:53 PM
Thx, HH, that article was good to read and confirmed what I already suspected or knew -- $MSFT made a mistake.

JimG
09-08-2013, 01:05 PM
I have win 7 on my laptop (I mostly use for streaming, connected to hdtv on my desk). I upgraded my old desktop (which I had not used for 2 years) with ram and run xp. Am perfectly happy with it. XP can run a myriad of new and old programs with little to no issues. Can run several applications without taxing either machine.

Jim

wilderness
09-08-2013, 01:20 PM
Don, have you ever considered building a slip-streamed CD?

Many thanks DJ.

The XP 64 machine I'm using is a project machine for something previously explained in another thread (I'm progressing better than expected, and what I though was going to take around two-years will be done in approximately 15-months).

After the "project" I'm back to the machines that have XP 32, and my main concern with those machines is that the antiquated OCR software functions properly with the old scanners. As a result of that imbalance, neither of those machines have the SP3 updates (one did however it screwed up the OCR software and required reformatting).
Two additional years on those XP 32 machines and my computing and computing projects are completed.

The slip-stream may be feasible with the XP 64 machine, however I'm working intensely on this project and don't wish to upset that work flow.

Thanks again for the suggestion.

Dave Schwartz
09-08-2013, 01:26 PM
That was a very compelling article.

My primary Win8 machine has not been turned on in a couple of months. I wonder if it will automatically "force" me to Win8.1 when I install "important" upgrades.

Anyone know?

DJofSD
09-08-2013, 01:30 PM
Ah, yes, I recall that other thread and your project.

Since posting the initial question, I have been trying to determine if there is another accumulated "fix" beyond KB393629, and, so far, I've not found any.

At the moment, I'm just finishing up the last batch of updates to SP3 (32-bit). The initial count of updates was 130+. It's taken way too long hence the question about building a CD via slipstreaming.

DJofSD
09-08-2013, 01:31 PM
Dave, there's one way to find out <VBSEG>!!!!

Dave Schwartz
09-08-2013, 01:40 PM
LOL - Yes, I know that. However, my experience with walking part-way into upgrades only to turn around has not always been pleasant.

I'd like as much advance info as possible.

DJofSD
09-08-2013, 02:54 PM
Speaking of security patches for XP: http://blog.spiderlabs.com/2013/09/microsoft-advance-notification-for-september-2013.html

JustCoolGene
09-08-2013, 04:01 PM
Check out Robolinux... It's FREE!

http://www.robolinux.org/

Robolinux makes Windows 7 & XP 100% immune to all Viruses & Malware!
Imagine never getting a virus or malware again for the rest of your life on Windows 7 or the soon to expire Windows XP. Many people don't want to or cannot afford to upgrade to Windows 7 or 8. That's no problem when you run XP inside Robolinux which does not require any Windows security updates and saves you hundreds of dollars!

Gene
scratchmanager.com

Longshot6977
09-08-2013, 05:06 PM
Win 8 is just stupid (although I understand M$'s logic) and the update isn't going to make it better. See this from a guy whose opinion I respect: http://www.tweakguides.com/Windows81_1.html

Awesome and interesting article.:ThmbUp:
If you understand computers and the marketing concepts of M$FT like some of us here obviously do, then you will realize this article is spot on and agree wholeheartedly with the author. He does an excellent job of organizing his thoughts in easy terms for the reader to understand. MS thinks they can keep shoving their ideas down the users' throats on how a PC should be used and don't care about the users' collective feedback. It's their way or the highway. And soon, many users will take/continue to take the highway to other OS platforms.

I love this comment--- "The vast majority of the changes in Windows 8, and moreso Windows 8.1, are designed purely to lure people into the Metro environment, so Microsoft can cash in on Windows Store purchases, and associated mobile device sales. It really is as simple as that. And it really is surprising just how blatant Microsoft has been in ignoring user wishes to the contrary."

judd
09-08-2013, 06:50 PM
windows 8:ThmbUp:

headhawg
09-09-2013, 08:33 AM
I wonder if it will automatically "force" me to Win8.1 when I install "important" upgrades.
Anyone know?According to the article, "...if you're already using Windows 8, the OS will continually nag you to install it as an important update, and I suspect at some point it will become a required update, if only for security purposes."

PaceAdvantage
09-09-2013, 09:14 PM
I run Win7 on a desktop and Win8 on my tablet. Both are excellent on their respective hardware.

Personally, I would have no reason to still be using XP...Windows 7 is far superior for my tastes.

MJC922
09-11-2013, 07:47 PM
Yeah for the one old XP box I have left I'll have to do something. By the time extended support runs out next spring I'll probably shutdown the machine and trash it. Could put Win7 on it but it's a P4 so it's slow anyway. IMO it will be far too risky to be jumping online with XP after the date. I'm willing to bet there are several groups with exploits just counting the days because no fixes of any kind will be coming from MS and there are still tons of XP machines running out there. There's only so much protection AV can provide, there will be vulnerabilities nobody even knows about or will even hear about.

Robert Goren
09-11-2013, 11:28 PM
Sometimes I am amazed that some of you still are not using a Commodore 64.:rolleyes:

wilderness
09-11-2013, 11:42 PM
Sometimes I am amazed that some of you still are not using a Commodore 64.:rolleyes:

Could I get online with my Timex-Sinclair and cassesette recorder ;)

rosenowsr
09-12-2013, 08:08 AM
.Keep your WinXP machine for running old programs, just disable the lan driver on it so it can't connect to the internet. If it can't connect to the internet you have achieved 99 44/100% security from malware, hackers and viruses.

Any files that I need, I transfer via thumb drive from my new machine, running win 7 Pro 64 bit, to my WinXP machine.

I like running Brohamers software MPH and this is how I do it.

rosenowsr
09-12-2013, 08:12 AM
I still use a TRS80 pocket computer to do a lot of my calculations. Great little machine.

raybo
09-13-2013, 01:48 PM
If the last PC I bought had not had Vista installed I would still be using XP, and liking it. I'll keep using Vista until I have to purchase a new PC, hopefully several years from now.