PDA

View Full Version : First woman to call a full card in North America goes Saturday at Canterbury

comet52
09-06-2013, 11:05 AM
http://www.startribune.com/sports/222612411.html

iceknight
09-06-2013, 11:47 AM
http://www.startribune.com/sports/222612411.html Neat! Always fun to hear new voices calling races..

I have started following CBY recently and donated some money to their 14% pick 4 pool yesterday but I think I might take a shot at it again soon :)

chadk66
09-06-2013, 06:01 PM
Hope she does well. I think she'll pull it off.

iceknight
09-06-2013, 08:57 PM
Neat! Always fun to hear new voices calling races..

I have started following CBY recently and donated some money to their 14% pick 4 pool yesterday but I think I might take a shot at it again soon :)

I should add though, she talks verrrrrry fast when she 'caps and analyzes the races. I hope it is slightly different when calling the races and announcing winners etc

Birdstone
09-06-2013, 09:11 PM
I'm kind of partial to Richard Grunder's calls :lol: :lol:

iwearpurple
09-07-2013, 12:00 AM
Well, she is a whole world better than Richard Grunder.

From the few races I have listened to that she has called, I don't think she is bad. A little nervous but that is to be expected from a rookie.

And a whole lot better looking

chadk66
09-07-2013, 10:03 AM
Well, she is a whole world better than Richard Grunder.

From the few races I have listened to that she has called, I don't think she is bad. A little nervous but that is to be expected from a rookie.

And a whole lot better lookingI didn't get a chance to watch/listen to her last night. Glad she did well. Maybe she'll get a gig of her own.

therussmeister
09-07-2013, 12:01 PM
I didn't get a chance to watch/listen to her last night. Glad she did well. Maybe she'll get a gig of her own.
Half of the time I have no clue what day of the week it is, the rest of the time I'm wrong, but I think her gig is today.

chadk66
09-07-2013, 02:56 PM
yea that makes more sense, PA wouldn't fly out on friday for the game.

rgustafson
09-08-2013, 07:01 AM
I was at Canterbury yesterday and thought Angela did a decent job calling the races. Would much rather listen to her than Grunder any day of the week.

JustRalph
09-08-2013, 09:43 AM
She sure does talk fast :ThmbUp:

I bet many a man has lost an argument with that lady :lol:

Valuist
09-08-2013, 09:49 AM
Once upon a time, Canterbury was the rising star among tracks. Had Mike Smith and Sandy Hawley riding there; guys like Bill Mott and Carl Nafzger raced there in the summer.

Too bad; its a nice track. I haven't been there in nearly 20 years but it struck me as a mini-Arlington. It was well maintained and you saw a lot of families there.

rgustafson
09-08-2013, 10:21 AM
In 1985, the year that Canterbury opened Mike Smith who was in the early stage of his career easily won the jockey title with the late great Ron Hansen as the runner up. In 1986, Hawley, who was in the twilight of his career came out from southern California to ride and he and Smith had quite a battle with Hawley eventually coming out on top 133 wins to 131 for Smith.

the little guy
09-08-2013, 10:47 AM
She sure does talk fast :ThmbUp:

I bet many a man has lost an argument with that lady :lol:

I like that she seems to work VERY hard. We need more of that in this industry.

Seabiscuit@AR
09-08-2013, 11:29 AM
I've heard calls from 2 female racecallers in the past and both were poor

But I've just listened to 2 calls by Angela Hermann and she did well. She has the potential to be a good racecaller. Being a fast talker is an advantage too

iceknight
09-08-2013, 12:09 PM
I think the race calling pace was much better than her handicapping analysis speed.. or maybe I am not used to fast talkng 'cappers.

good job overall.

JohnGalt1
09-09-2013, 03:54 PM
The main reason IMO she talks so fast in the paddock is she doesn't start the prevue until 13 or 14 minutes to post.

I watched Woodbine Friday and their guy starts at 18 minutes to post every race, and he had time to deliberately mention all horses in the upcoming race, and some races had 14 starters.

I was at Canterbury Saturday, and I thought she did a good job.

In one race a horse went down on the backstretch, which she mentioned, and she didn't get rattled or distracted in calling the race.

chadk66
09-09-2013, 08:40 PM
Once upon a time, Canterbury was the rising star among tracks. Had Mike Smith and Sandy Hawley riding there; guys like Bill Mott and Carl Nafzger raced there in the summer.

Too bad; its a nice track. I haven't been there in nearly 20 years but it struck me as a mini-Arlington. It was well maintained and you saw a lot of families there.the first two or three years the place was like a who's who of racing. Some of the other big name trainers who had large stables were, Lukas, Jack VanBerg, Rusty Arnold, AJ Foyt, Gary Thomas, Berni Flint, etc. Some of the horses that raced in the Derby were Broad Brush, Cryptoclearance, Lost Code and a couple others my alzheimers won't allow me to remember. Other stakes notables were Slew City Slew, Unbridled, Who Doctor Who, etc.

iceknight
09-09-2013, 11:43 PM
In one race a horse went down on the backstretch, which she mentioned, and she didn't get rattled or distracted in calling the race. I think it was a race 4 (Executive Decision).. oddly enough for me, that was the first race I was watching that day and I see the spill.. Thought she was a little cool (almost cold) about it.. but then the horse was ok and was vanned off... so in retrospect i was ok with her calm demeanor when the spill happened that race.

dilanesp
09-10-2013, 05:24 AM
I think it was a race 4 (Executive Decision).. oddly enough for me, that was the first race I was watching that day and I see the spill.. Thought she was a little cool (almost cold) about it.. but then the horse was ok and was vanned off... so in retrospect i was ok with her calm demeanor when the spill happened that race.

Racecallers actually shouldn't lose it after spills. That's a Durkin innovation and a bad one. But the race goes on and the announcer should be calling it, not crying. Everyone always did until Durkin came around and flattened his voice.

Indeed, Chic Anderson didn't even flatten his voice after Ruffian stopped in the match race, and there you could have justified it. But it was just never done.

The race continues, people have bets, and they are entitled to a decent call. Cry later after turning off the mic.

Valuist
09-10-2013, 11:27 AM
the first two or three years the place was like a who's who of racing. Some of the other big name trainers who had large stables were, Lukas, Jack VanBerg, Rusty Arnold, AJ Foyt, Gary Thomas, Berni Flint, etc. Some of the horses that raced in the Derby were Broad Brush, Cryptoclearance, Lost Code and a couple others my alzheimers won't allow me to remember. Other stakes notables were Slew City Slew, Unbridled, Who Doctor Who, etc.

Funny you mention AJ Foyt Jr. Hadn't seen his name in years until last weekend. He had a 2 year old in a stake; was either at Churchill or Arlington.

affirmedny
09-10-2013, 11:46 AM
Indeed, Chic Anderson didn't even flatten his voice after Ruffian stopped in the match race, and there you could have justified it. But it was just never done.

He certainly didn't, Dave Johnson called the match race

iceknight
09-10-2013, 12:18 PM
Racecallers actually shouldn't lose it after spills. That's a Durkin innovation and a bad one. But the race goes on and the announcer should be calling it, not crying. Everyone always did until Durkin came around and flattened his voice.

The race continues, people have bets, and they are entitled to a decent call. Cry later after turning off the mic. And what about the people who had bet on the horse that spilled or broke down?

The bolded part is YOUR opinion and I do not agree with it at all. Moreover, if a favorite (esp even or lower odds) spills.. then more likely more bets had been riding on that one.. it makes sense to add some emotion.

Else you can hook up Trakus to Microsoft text to voice and get your monotonic calls

chadk66
09-10-2013, 10:06 PM
Funny you mention AJ Foyt Jr. Hadn't seen his name in years until last weekend. He had a 2 year old in a stake; was either at Churchill or Arlington.cool, I wasn't even sure he was still alive

Track Phantom
09-10-2013, 11:36 PM
the first two or three years the place was like a who's who of racing. Some of the other big name trainers who had large stables were, Lukas, Jack VanBerg, Rusty Arnold, AJ Foyt, Gary Thomas, Berni Flint, etc. Some of the horses that raced in the Derby were Broad Brush, Cryptoclearance, Lost Code and a couple others my alzheimers won't allow me to remember. Other stakes notables were Slew City Slew, Unbridled, Who Doctor Who, etc.

I was at Canterbury almost daily from late 1986 to 2004. I remember all the horses you mentioned. Also, Clever Trevor (maybe the third best 3 year old of 1989 behind Easy Goer and Sunday Silence). Many good shippers from all over the country shipped in for the big races. D Wayne Lukas shipped in Tejano (to a 1-9 defeat) for the 1988 St. Paul Derby (you can find that video here http://www.trackphantom.com/Racing13.html and many others from early CBY). Fourstardave became a name at CBY in '88.

dilanesp
09-11-2013, 03:57 PM
He certainly didn't, Dave Johnson called the match race

Chic Anderson called it on CBS. I watched it as a little kid. I even remember exactly what he said. "Ruffian has broken down! The race is OVER!"

Dave Johnson called it at the track. For some reason, a tape of the CBS broadcast with Johnson's track announcements dubbed over it has made the rounds. But Johnson's call was not the network call.

dilanesp
09-11-2013, 04:00 PM
And what about the people who had bet on the horse that spilled or broke down?

The bolded part is YOUR opinion and I do not agree with it at all. Moreover, if a favorite (esp even or lower odds) spills.. then more likely more bets had been riding on that one.. it makes sense to add some emotion.

Else you can hook up Trakus to Microsoft text to voice and get your monotonic calls

I've heard enough calls of famous spills (Chic Anderson calling Ruffian, Joe Hernandez calling the 1963 Santa Anita Derby, Fred Capossela calling the 1959 Belmont) of the past to confirm that indeed, nobody cried over spills in their call until Durkin started doing it.

affirmedny
09-11-2013, 06:29 PM
Chic Anderson called it on CBS. I watched it as a little kid. I even remember exactly what he said. "Ruffian has broken down! The race is OVER!"

Dave Johnson called it at the track. For some reason, a tape of the CBS broadcast with Johnson's track announcements dubbed over it has made the rounds. But Johnson's call was not the network call.

You are correct, you can hear Chic here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNE_TYIqkmY

don't know why they would do that unless they thought maybe Johnson's call is better? Johnson's is the one I heard but I heard it on the radio.

devilsbag
09-11-2013, 06:46 PM
Since this thread seems to be all over the map, I don't mind sending it in another direction.

The mention of Chic Anderson calling on CBS and Dave Johnson on-track reminds me of something I've tried to hunt down for years with no success. Does anyone have any idea where to find Dave Johnson's call of the 1973 Belmont Stakes?

NYRA never shows that version. Dave Johnson produced an audiotape of Secretariat's career that uses Ray Haight's radio call. Johnson was the announcer at Belmont that day and I've read an interview with him that confirmed he called the race, so if someone has it, you'd make one person very happy!

Ocala Mike
09-11-2013, 07:06 PM
The mention of Chic Anderson calling on CBS and Dave Johnson on-track reminds me of something I've tried to hunt down for years with no success. Does anyone have any idea where to find Dave Johnson's call of the 1973 Belmont Stakes?

You have it backwards. Chic Anderson made the famous ON-TRACK call ("he's moving like a tremendous machine") and Dave Johnson called the race on TV.

devilsbag
09-12-2013, 10:15 AM
Hey Ocala Mike...

I never heard back from you when you were wrong here:
http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1413225&postcount=35

...but you were kind enough to show up in this thread and again advise me I was wrong, when I am once again correct.

I'd love to be your bookmaker.

Dave Johnson was the NYRA announcer from 1972 to 1977. In case you were unaware, Secretariat won the Belmont Stakes in 1973.

Charles D. "Chic" Anderson worked for CBS on the telecast of that Belmont Stakes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVYhjOHGCso

These things happen in threes, so I'll be waiting for your insights on my next post.

dilanesp
09-12-2013, 04:12 PM
Since this thread seems to be all over the map, I don't mind sending it in another direction.

NYRA never shows that version. Dave Johnson produced an audiotape of Secretariat's career that uses Ray Haight's radio call. Johnson was the announcer at Belmont that day and I've read an interview with him that confirmed he called the race, so if someone has it, you'd make one person very happy!

I am sure NYRA has the tape of it. They have the tape of every other Secretariat race in 1973 in New York (in 1972 they used kinescopes). Perhaps CBS is sensitive about them showing it, because CBS holds the copyright in the telecast of the race? I don't know.

Ocala Mike
09-12-2013, 04:55 PM
devilsbag, two "Got Heems" for you (although I don't remember the issue about the 1981 Acorn - something about payoffs on entries.) Did you ever track down a recording of the NYRA on-track call you were looking for?

I should have checked with the "War Department," my bride of 47 years. We were both at Belmont for Secretariat's TC finale, but she has a better memory, and is also the proud owner of an uncashed $2 win ticket on Big Red to this day. She's also a better handicapper, having scored the exacta with Twice A Prince, while I tore my tickets up with My Gallant.

devilsbag
09-12-2013, 06:50 PM
I am sure NYRA has the tape of it. They have the tape of every other Secretariat race in 1973 in New York (in 1972 they used kinescopes). Perhaps CBS is sensitive about them showing it, because CBS holds the copyright in the telecast of the race? I don't know.

Did you ever track down a recording of the NYRA on-track call you were looking for?

Somewhere in the NYRA vault there must be the Dave Johnson call. Perhaps this is a job for Geraldo Rivera?

affirmedny
09-12-2013, 09:13 PM

I'd like to hear the Ray Haight call again, actually was pretty good. Can't find it anywhere.

iwearpurple
09-13-2013, 01:00 AM
Maybe Angela called the Belmont as a baby girl.