PDA

View Full Version : Computer mouse/software question

andicap
03-07-2004, 07:10 PM
Am installing an optical mouse on my Dell Dimension 4100 PC (XP Office).
Says I need to uninstall my old software first. OK, no problem. But don't I need to uninstall it back onto the original Dell software CD that came with the computer in case I need the old mouse software again?
If not, great
If so, how do I know which disc to use: the one that says
"Applications: Backup: Dell-installed Programs"?

Larry Hamilton
03-07-2004, 08:52 PM
thats two separate questions:

1) You cant put the software back on the cd that came with it. YOu just have to hope that the software is on the cd if you ever want to go back to your old mouse. Though, it is fairly simple to find the driver on the net somewhere.

2) With your new mouse, Ill bet some money it came with its own cd. It probably told you to install the software. Turn off the machine. Install the mouse. Restart your machine and let the find it and the driver.

kenwoodallpromos
03-07-2004, 10:01 PM
I think wherever you uninstall the old one to, like wastebasket, should hold it if you ever need it again.

headhawg
03-08-2004, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by kenwoodallpromos
I think wherever you uninstall the old one to, like wastebasket, should hold it if you ever need it again.

Actually, only files will go into the Recycle Bin not uninstalled programs/drivers.

Larry's suggestion is a good one; perhaps even Dell's web site has the drivers for your old mouse should you need them.

HH

andicap
03-08-2004, 01:51 PM
Ah, I'm beginning to get the hang of this lingo.

So "software" for these applications are interchangable with the "drivers?" I know what a driver was (kind of), but didn't know referring to it and the software for an app were one and the same.

Thanks for all the help and patience. (And to think my mom asks me questions about using her computer. Hey, I put in a new ethernet card for her the other day:D I'll guess I'll tackle adding memory and a FireWire card to my PC next.)

headhawg
03-08-2004, 02:02 PM
andicap,

Drivers really refer to "device drivers", which allow the operating system like Windows to communicate with the physical hardware device, like a printer, video card, or modem in order to get them to work together properly.

Software applications require certain files as well, but not necessarily the driver files directly. They could be proprietary files that get installed by the app itself, or could rely on access to the OS system files as well.

So, they are not really the same. For example, you might use a device manufacturer's software "Setup" application to install the device "driver" rather than installing it directly through Windows.

You ALWAYS need device drivers to get the device to work, but Apps are optional.

Hope this clarifies.

HH