PDA

View Full Version : Obama says that he didn't set a red line in Syria

Clocker
09-04-2013, 10:17 AM
"First of all, I didn't set a red line," said Obama. "The world set a red line. The world set a red line when governments representing 98 percent of the world's population said the use of chemical weapons are [inaudble] and passed a treaty forbidding their use, even when countries are engaged in war. Congress set a red line when it ratified that treaty. Congress set a red line when it indicated that in a piece of legislation entitled the Syria Accountability Act that some of the horrendous things happening on the ground there need to be answered for. So, when I said in a press conference that my calculus about what's happening in Syria would be altered by the use of chemical weapons, which the overwhelming consensus of humanity says is wrong, that wasn't something I just kind of made up. I didn't pluck it out of thin air. There's a reason for it."

Source, including a video of Obama setting a red line in Syria. (http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/obama-i-didnt-set-red-line-syria_752712.html)

That page also has a link to a White House press release from April, explaining the President's red line in detail.

burnsy
09-04-2013, 10:49 AM
Hes right, there are treaties and conventions that outlaw that sort of thing but heres my problem with Obama and almost every president for the last 75 years....we've been in Korea for what 60 years? Germany over 70 years...then theres Vietnam....oh, it was a war we HAD to fight...bullshit. Now the last 12 years and the "wars" we get in.....the lives and money we just piss away....for what?

His other statement is more telling and reveals the power of the military, industrial complex...........This is not verbatim but he pretty much says when atrocities occur in ANY country.....whats the USA going to do about it? And every time any ONE of them talks like this....we are in...our money.....our equipment and worst of all, our people getting killed and maimed in the process of killing God knows how many more. Yeah, people got gassed but how many get blown up when the missles and bombs are dropped? Each cruise missle is about 1.4 million dollars.

These other countries have to "put up".....you want our bases, our protection? You get billed for that...instead these countries get free protection and they make a fortune from the economic activity around these bases. Yeah, but we are broke.....its time for us to lead from behind at times....hes right about that, what happened to that?...we can't be the military, Roman Empire and "free" police force....it makes powerful people rich here, our country is going to sh!t and people don't see the paralells between us and other failed empires. The world is a mean place....i've been all around it during my Navy days (Including the middle east), we will never control it OURSELVES, every other country that tried, died or weakened doing so. Read the bible those morons have been fighting since then. Its time to step back and let some of these other jack asses take the lead or pay the bill....how many trillion in the hole is too much? How many kids with one arm or no legs is enough? I don't even think most people understand how big a number a trillion is.........its the Roman Empire, eat, drink, get fat and merry while the country goes down the drain...wave the flag, thump your chest.....until it all comes down hard.

Let's Roll
09-04-2013, 10:50 AM
Epic fail.

JustRalph
09-04-2013, 10:56 AM
Epic fail.

With Brevity..........says it all.

johnhannibalsmith
09-04-2013, 11:11 AM
Well, since we're on the subject of the gifted conversationalist and I know that mostpost and NJStinks are probably eager to hear from Sowell on this subject... from today's dissertation:

But that is not the way Barack Obama operates. Like so many people who are masters of lofty words, he does not pay nearly as much attention to mundane realities. Campaigning is his strong suit. Governing is not.

With the mainstream media ready to ooh and aah over his rhetoric, and pass over in silence his policy disasters as President, Obama is home free as far as domestic politics is concerned. But, on the world stage, neither America's enemies nor America's allies are hypnotized by his words or his image.

Nations that have to decide whether to ally themselves with us or with our enemies understand that they are making life and death decisions. It is not about rhetoric, image or symbolism. It is about whether nations can count on the realism, wisdom and dependability of the American government.

http://jewishworldreview.com/cols/sowell090413.php3#.UidMSVDn-Uk

Clocker
09-04-2013, 03:02 PM
Internet comment of the week from some blogger:

So we’re going to go to war to defend the credibility of a comment Obama won’t take responsibility for.

Tom
09-04-2013, 03:34 PM
I didn't draw that. Someone else drew that.
-----Obama the liar, 2013

Clocker
09-04-2013, 08:25 PM
In his latest contortion of reality, Obama now says that the world set a red line on the use of chemical weapons, and the international community's credibility is on the line.

President Obama took his case for intervention in Syria to the foreign stage on Wednesday, telling a Swedish audience - and a broader European community that has largely resisted American calls for support - that the "international community's credibility is on the line" as it decides how to respond to evidence that the Syrian government, under President Bashar al Assad, used chemical weapons to kill over 1,400 civilians.

Where the use of such weapons is concerned, Mr. Obama said, "I didn't set a red line. The world set a red line."

CBS News (http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162-57601293/obama-international-communitys-credibility-is-on-the-line-in-syria/)

nat1223
09-04-2013, 08:30 PM
obama needs to worry about his own country

TJDave
09-04-2013, 08:49 PM

Wait for it... ;)

JustRalph
09-04-2013, 08:50 PM

Kenya?

rastajenk
09-04-2013, 09:00 PM
... and the international community's credibility is on the line.Hey, I've heard that line before. When was it....hmmm....was it...no, wait a sec...I got it...

IRAQ, 2003

:cool:

Clocker
09-04-2013, 10:36 PM
Hey, I've heard that line before. When was it....hmmm....was it...no, wait a sec...I got it...

IRAQ, 2003

:cool:

That was the Coalition of the Willing. Now Obama is struggling to put together a Coalition of the Witless.

With him leading from behind, of course.

PaceAdvantage
09-05-2013, 01:32 AM
Is this guy ever going to accept responsibility for anything he does or says?

Clocker
09-05-2013, 02:47 AM

If you don't make a decision or take a position, no one can say that your decisions or positions are wrong. It may be second best, but it is not wrong.

The goal of the pure, unprincipled politician today is to offend as few people as possible. Voting "Present" is the easiest way to attain that goal. Obama is currently at the top of the evolutionary scale for unprincipled politics.

JustRalph
09-05-2013, 03:03 AM

James Carville is blaming Bush for Obama hesitating on Syria...... :bang:

Tom
09-05-2013, 07:34 AM

Only when He ascends.

sam4022
09-05-2013, 09:39 AM
After al Jazeera shows the dead and maimed children as the result of our limited strikes will he blame Bush, Congress, the International Community or all three (3) for making him do it?

The only way to stop the next Syria is oil independence (Keystone, open more Federal Lands and screw the little yellow tail thing-a-ma-jigs that may be injured at least in the near future).

dartman51
09-05-2013, 01:52 PM

I guess he doesn't represent America anymore. Yesterday, in a press conference in Sweden, he said, "My credibility isn't on the line, the International community's credibility is on the line, and, America and Congress' credibility is on the line." :mad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTMjPokoH7o

go to the 24:37 mark.

Tom
09-05-2013, 02:54 PM
Kenya is clear here, right?

RaceBookJoe
09-05-2013, 06:04 PM
Instead of a red line, as a leader it seems he needs a blue pill.

TJDave
09-06-2013, 06:34 PM
WASHINGTON - As President Obama continues to push for a plan of limited military intervention in Syria, a new poll of Americans has found that though the nation remains wary over the prospect of becoming involved in another Middle Eastern war, the vast majority of U.S. citizens strongly approve of sending Congress to Syria.

The New York Times/CBS News poll showed that though just 1 in 4 Americans believe that the United States has a responsibility to intervene in the Syrian conflict, more than 90 percent of the public is convinced that putting all 535 representatives of the United States Congress on the ground in Syria—including Senate pro tempore Patrick Leahy, House Speaker John Boehner, House Majority Leader Eric Cantor, and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, and, in fact, all current members of the House and Senate—is the best course of action at this time.

“I believe it is in the best interest of the United States, and the global community as a whole, to move forward with the deployment of all U.S. congressional leaders to Syria immediately,” respondent Carol Abare, 50, said in the nationwide telephone survey, echoing the thoughts of an estimated 9 in 10 Americans who said they “strongly support” any plan of action that involves putting the U.S. House and Senate on the ground in the war-torn Middle Eastern state. “With violence intensifying every day, now is absolutely the right moment—the perfect moment, really—for the United States to send our legislators to the region.”

“In fact, my preference would have been for Congress to be deployed months ago,” she added.

Citing overwhelming support from the international community—including that of the Arab League, Turkey, and France, as well as Great Britain, Iraq, Iran, Russia, Japan, Mexico, China, and Canada, all of whom are reported to be unilaterally in favor of sending the U.S. Congress to Syria—the majority of survey respondents said they believe the United States should refocus its entire approach to Syria’s civil war on the ground deployment of U.S. senators and representatives, regardless of whether the Assad regime used chemical weapons or not.

In fact, 91 percent of those surveyed agreed that the active use of sarin gas attacks by the Syrian government would, if anything, only increase poll respondents’ desire to send Congress to Syria.

Public opinion was essentially unchanged when survey respondents were asked about a broader range of attacks, with more than 79 percent of Americans saying they would strongly support sending Congress to Syria in cases of bomb and missile attacks, 78 percent supporting intervention in cases of kidnappings and executions, and 75 percent saying representatives should be deployed in cases where government forces were found to have used torture.

When asked if they believe that Sen. Rand Paul should be deployed to Syria, 100 percent of respondents said yes.

“There’s no doubt in my mind that sending Congress to Syria—or, at the very least, sending the major congressional leaders in both parties—is the correct course of action,” survey respondent and Iraq war veteran Maj. Gen. John Mill said, noting that his opinion was informed by four tours of duty in which he saw dozens of close friends sustain physical as well as emotional injury and post-traumatic stress. “There is a clear solution to our problems staring us right in the face here, and we need to take action.”

“Sooner rather than later, too,” Mill added. “This war isn’t going to last forever.”

Ocala Mike
09-06-2013, 07:25 PM
Louis Vuittons on the ground in Syria. I love it!

OntheRail
09-06-2013, 08:55 PM
I didn't draw that. Someone else drew that.
-----Obama the liar, 2013
Kinda dovetails with his philosophy of "You Didn't Build Dat"

Can set that to MC Hammer's Can't touch this... :lol:

Tom
09-07-2013, 10:10 AM
Instead of a red line, as a leader it seems he needs a blue pill.

Doon't forget that yellow stripe down his back.
I think it is florescent.

Tom
09-08-2013, 12:11 PM
Preview of his Tuesday speech........

tucker6
09-08-2013, 02:14 PM
I guess the congressman from GA who heckled Obama and called him a liar a few years ago was ahead of his time ...

Tom
09-08-2013, 06:12 PM
Nostradamus, R. Georgia

iceknight
04-02-2014, 01:03 AM
Reason Obama couldn't set a red line in Syria..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKorP55Aqvg