PDA

View Full Version : Why do they scratch off turf on last day of meet?

menifee
09-03-2013, 12:10 AM
This may be a dumb question - but I have always wondered why this was the case. At the Spa today, why didn't they keep all turf cases on the turf? My understanding is that they take cards off the turf course so it does not get chewed up and to preserve it. On the last day of the meet, is this really a concern? Or do they take it off the turf because of a safety issue?

OTM Al
09-03-2013, 12:19 AM
This may be a dumb question - but I have always wondered why this was the case. At the Spa today, why didn't they keep all turf cases on the turf? My understanding is that they take cards off the turf course so it does not get chewed up and to preserve it. On the last day of the meet, is this really a concern? Or do they take it off the turf because of a safety issue?

It poured and likely had become very soft and thus dangerous

v j stauffer
09-03-2013, 02:05 AM

Total catch 22 actually 222. Will there be a bigger field if left on the grass and a huge number of scratches? Will it be even shorter if moved to the main? Certainly safety an issue. Do the jocks want to risk riding on a chew up lawn. Of course no horseman will risk a real nice horse and almost always take the conservative road. The one thing that's probably not a huge concern is the condition of the grass after closing day. You could run a tractor pull and it will always be ready and perfect with 10 months until opening day.