PDA

View Full Version : Interesting post on Twitter

cj
09-02-2013, 04:19 PM
How was Johnny V able to carry 111 in the 8th today? I don't know if he can or not, but I can't find "overweights" anywhere on the web. Are they even given any longer? Track feed only maybe?

Stillriledup
09-02-2013, 04:44 PM
Hmmm. good pick up. I dont see overweights on spa sight, i'd be surprised if a vet jock like this could make 111, but i dont know for sure if he's that light or not. But, since there are no overweights anywhere, its probably just an oversight on someone's part. Add this to the timing issues they've been having and you have to shake your head.

Hosshead
09-03-2013, 09:58 PM
How was Johnny V able to carry 111 in the 8th today? I don't know if he can or not, but I can't find "overweights" anywhere on the web. Are they even given any longer? Track feed only maybe?

Cj: He's listed as carrying 112 lbs. in that race.

Article From 2008: (I'll bet he's changed his diet since then.)

" Velazquez, who will ride Cowboy Cal in the Derby, chooses the strict diet route to maintain his 114-pound riding weight. No flipping or daily sweating for him. He virtually starves himself until dinner. He eats a half-cup of dry cereal in the morning, sips coffee, sucks on an orange or bites into a banana, and drinks water before eating his one normal meal of the day."
"It's my way of keeping my weight down," says Velazquez, an 18-year veteran who years ago learned his nutrition lessons at a riding school in his native Puerto Rico.

cj
09-03-2013, 11:08 PM
Cj: He's listed as carrying 112 lbs. in that race.

Article From 2008: (I'll bet he's changed his diet since then.)

" Velazquez, who will ride Cowboy Cal in the Derby, chooses the strict diet route to maintain his 114-pound riding weight. No flipping or daily sweating for him. He virtually starves himself until dinner. He eats a half-cup of dry cereal in the morning, sips coffee, sucks on an orange or bites into a banana, and drinks water before eating his one normal meal of the day."
"It's my way of keeping my weight down," says Velazquez, an 18-year veteran who years ago learned his nutrition lessons at a riding school in his native Puerto Rico.

Yeah, I saw that. I hardly think 111 or 112 is worth worrying about, but I was just curious. I thought I remembered overweights being available in the changes both on track sites and at Equibase, but now they are gone. I don't see a single overweight listed at Equibase for today.

Am I remembering wrong, or has that info disappeared? Anyone?

iwearpurple
09-04-2013, 12:10 AM
Twin Spires listed overweights for Del Mar, but I didn't see any listed for Saratoga.

cj
09-04-2013, 06:06 PM
In semi-related news, PVal is SIX pounds over today on a horse slated to carry 118! Maybe he should try steeplechasing.

barn32
09-04-2013, 07:45 PM
In semi-related news, PVal is SIX pounds over today on a horse slated to carry 118! Maybe he should try steeplechasing.This is funny. I had a mentor back in the 70s who followed the overweights zealously, and he would RARELY bet on an overweight jock.

A race came up one day and one of the top jockeys was 1 lb. overweight. The next race he was 2 lbs overweight. And the next race 3 lbs overweight.

"He must be eating hot dogs between races," my buddy said.

He lost all three races.

turninforhome10
09-04-2013, 07:51 PM
If a jock thinks he has a shot he\she will make the weight as it puts food on the table. Overweights are a no no for me.

Stillriledup
09-04-2013, 07:57 PM
In semi-related news, PVal is SIX pounds over today on a horse slated to carry 118! Maybe he should try steeplechasing.

As long as owners put him down not caring that he's 6 lbs over, he should keep collecting the paychecks. Why an owner would put a guy down who cant make 118 is anyone's guess.

HuggingTheRail
09-05-2013, 12:50 AM

Maybe he needs to get rid of some hair??

Tom
09-05-2013, 07:27 AM
Maybe there's a monkey on his back.
They weigh 6 lbs.

Pensacola Pete
09-05-2013, 01:54 PM
Maybe there's a monkey on his back.
They weigh 6 lbs.

There are several monkeys on his back, and some have been around for a long time.

green80
09-05-2013, 08:54 PM
As long as owners put him down not caring that he's 6 lbs over, he should keep collecting the paychecks. Why an owner would put a guy down who cant make 118 is anyone's guess.

In my state you cannot run at 7 lbs over. At anything over 2lbs over the owner/trainer can replace the jockey.

Hosshead
09-05-2013, 11:18 PM
Pincay tacked 117 and I don't know why, but nobody cared if he was overweight. :cool:

cj
09-05-2013, 11:28 PM
Pincay tacked 117 and I don't know why, but nobody cared if he was overweight. :cool:

Big difference to 124.

Hosshead
09-06-2013, 02:34 AM
Big difference to 124.
It's unbelievable that Pat V. is that much overweight and that he is getting mounts.

They used to list the overweights in all the charts, but I guess they don't include them anymore?

iceknight
09-06-2013, 03:54 PM
In semi-related news, PVal is SIX pounds over today on a horse slated to carry 118! Maybe he should try steeplechasing. this is a little off topic but I don't understand why they make horses that have to make jumps carry extra weight and flat races involve lower weights?

Hoofless_Wonder
09-06-2013, 04:02 PM
this is a little off topic but I don't understand why they make horses that have to make jumps carry extra weight and flat races involve lower weights?

I'd guess that it had something to do with making more jockeys eligible to ride the fences (including amateurs), since you fall a lot more often. At least that's what I gather from reading Dick Francis novels, which of course makes me an in-house expert.... :)

After all, if I'm a jock riding for big money on the flats and can make those low weights, I'd sure as hell never get on a jumper....

highnote
09-06-2013, 04:27 PM
Maybe it's because the horses really don't start running until the finish? They look like they are just going at a steady gallop until the about the last couple furlongs.