PDA

View Full Version : Android Tablet+Wifi Connection

upthecreek
08-31-2013, 07:54 AM
I purchased a Nextbook 8 Android tablet works fine except for my wifi speed.
My connection speed on this tablet is somewhat slow I have a belkin router with a download speed of 56mbps from my internet provider On any speed test I try I only get 12mbps tops Under wifi settings on the tablet, it says link speed is 65mbps Is there any thing I can change or try? Thanks

JustRalph
08-31-2013, 12:00 PM
Go into the same room as the router, see what it reads there.

That's the first step.

If it's substantially better, then you have a wifi coverage or interference issue.

What band are you using? G N etc?

DJofSD
08-31-2013, 12:11 PM
FYI.

There is a new draft WiFi standard referred to as 11AC. No, not as in alternating current.

It promises a much improved speed. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11ac

Of course, this will mean new H/W, and, it will likely be a while before tablets will have the means to exploit it.

And, to reference another thread, one of the reasons why I stopped buying HP's products is they never seem to keep pace with current SOTA for LAN and WiFi. For example, up to the point I stopped buying HP, I had a 1 Gb/sec LAN installed for well over a year but none of the HP PC's had a NIC that would go that fast. The desktops can be upgraded but what do you do with the laptops?

DJofSD
08-31-2013, 12:47 PM
I purchased a Nextbook 8 Android tablet works fine except for my wifi speed.
My connection speed on this tablet is somewhat slow I have a belkin router with a download speed of 56mbps from my internet provider On any speed test I try I only get 12mbps tops Under wifi settings on the tablet, it says link speed is 65mbps Is there any thing I can change or try? Thanks
To tailgate on JR's suggestion, try the following. Since the tablet is strictly WiFi we'll not be able to get a good determination if your throughput is acceptable or is due to interference.

If you have a PC on your LAN that is connected via a cable, do this:
(1) assuming it is Windows, click the Start button type cmd to get a DOS prompt in a console window, or, the equivalent for W8 if that is what your desktop is running.

(2) enter IPCONFIG then in the response find the IP address for your gateway. On my LAN it is 192.168.0.1 .

(3) enter this: PING <the gateway IP address here> -n 32 -l 32767 . On my system the command would look like: ping 192.168.0.1 -n 32 -l 32767

The -n 32 tells the utility to send 32 buffers; the -l 32767 tells it to make the buffers 32,767 bytes in size. Using these additional parameters and values will give you a little bit better data than just using the defaults for PING.

(4) make note of the summary at the end of the 32 buffers being sent. You should have a minimum, maximum and average.

Now, as JR said, put your tablet close to the WiFi router/access point. Repeat the process of getting to a DOS command prompt console and repeat step (3). The gateway address is the same. Make note of the 3 summary values.

The next test is the same but with the tablet in some other part of the residence. Repeat the test and again make note of the summary values.

As a basis for comparison -- not that it will really mean anything -- my hardwired responses: 6 ms/ 6ms/ 6 ms. For an HP laptop located about 40 feet from the office with the router using 802.11 b/g: 18 ms/60 ms/28 ms.

If you can do the above then post all of the numbers, we can take a swipe at telling you if you are OK or possibly have an interference problem.

Dave Schwartz
08-31-2013, 01:45 PM
The desktops can be upgraded but what do you do with the laptops?

A USB Wi-FI adapter?

I actually replaced ours with these and they are relatively cheap.

DJofSD
08-31-2013, 01:51 PM
A USB Wi-FI adapter?

Yep, you're right. I actually went that route for a couple of laptops.

But, recently, I've being buying Apple and not concerned about the speed of those devices since the focus is on development and not entertainment, etc.

upthecreek
09-07-2013, 07:26 AM
A USB Wi-FI adapter?

I purchased one and after I did it seems that they are not compatible with android devices according to a google search I did

To answer the above questions-Band N
Its a little better in the room (16mbps) browser test
Theres a Ipad mini in hte household that consistently gets 20-25mbps anywhere including on the back porch

Ive installed a wifi signal booster and internet speed booster from google play -havent really seen much difference
Thanks for all the replies

One last question Would it pay to check a low,middle and hi channel to see if I get better reception/speed? Right now the channel selector is on Auto

Red Knave
09-07-2013, 11:04 AM
You might check to see if there's an upgrade to the wi-fi firmware for your tablet.

jerry-g
09-07-2013, 12:32 PM
Also, speed can be affected by the number of devices hooking up with
your router if you have it configured incorrectly. I only have my Roku
and my Kindle as acceptable devices and only turn on the Kindle to update,
then back off again. I can read on it without being connected.

upthecreek
09-08-2013, 07:15 AM
I purchased one and after I did it seems that they are not compatible with android devices according to a google search I did

To answer the above questions-Band N
Its a little better in the room (16mbps) browser test
Theres a Ipad mini in hte household that consistently gets 20-25mbps anywhere including on the back porch

Ive installed a wifi signal booster and internet speed booster from google play -havent really seen much difference
Thanks for all the replies

One last question Would it pay to check a low,middle and hi channel to see if I get better reception/speed? Right now the channel selector is on Auto

I installed a wifi signal analyzer app It says Im on ch 6 by default and in its rating its only 3 stars It says I have 3 channels that are better-1,11,12 which get 10 stars Im going to switch to ch 1 and leave it there and see how that works

Thanks to everyone again for your help!

JustRalph
09-08-2013, 09:47 AM
I installed a wifi signal analyzer app It says Im on ch 6 by default and in its rating its only 3 stars It says I have 3 channels that are better-1,11,12 which get 10 stars Im going to switch to ch 1 and leave it there and see how that works

Thanks to everyone again for your help!

You're on the right track.

Next, if your router is one that constantly scans the bands, G N B etc......

Turn that off.......see what happens. You can usually set it to one band. I've had to do that multiple times. Especially with early iPads