PDA

View Full Version : Some anecdotal Dems reacting to Obamacare

JustRalph
08-31-2013, 12:20 AM
http://www.democraticunderground.com/10592079

Be careful what you ask for............or vote for..........

"Da chickens have come home to roost!" :lol:

I know it's just anecdotal .........

johnhannibalsmith
08-31-2013, 12:46 AM
I know Obama fans put on a brave face and spit out all the theoretical rationalizations for why it should work, but how can anyone be surprised by any of this?

"Is this how it was supposed to work?"

I don't understand how these people can act all caught off guard by this stuff. Even if you were playing the mostpost role and rattling off the canned replies to the skeptics, surely you had to be crossing your fingers that the miracle of all miracles would happen and this thing wouldn't be a disaster before it ever had a chance to be the massive disaster it figures to become.

Being upset when you realize that you've been scammed into a market that no sane person should want to be stuck in is one thing, but this amazement at the outcome? Weird.

Clocker
08-31-2013, 01:36 AM
I don't understand how these people can act all caught off guard by this stuff.

Because they drank the Kool Aid and believed the promises. The members of Congress that voted for the bill believed the promises (without reading the bill). How could you expect the people that voted for the members that voted for the bill to be any smarter?

johnhannibalsmith
08-31-2013, 02:40 AM
Because they drank the Kool Aid and believed the promises. The members of Congress that voted for the bill believed the promises (without reading the bill). How could you expect the people that voted for the members that voted for the bill to be any smarter?

Though I hold most of both houses in fairly low esteem, I still find it pretty hard to actually believe that there were many that figured it was a well conceived plan. This is the sort of shit that lands in our laps when we line up on teams and egg those morons on.

newtothegame
08-31-2013, 03:38 AM
The American public, I believe, wanted to see reform. So, the congressional members were in a catch 22. If they voted against it, they were sure to get lambasted as "throwing momma from the cliff and killing kids with autism".
If they voted for it, now it will be used against them. Problem is, it appears too late to do anything about it.
See them dems do one thing very well.....They demonize the opposition into a corner. They play well on the emotional fears and pander to the masses that depend on the government teet to keep feeding them.
Our deficits keep ballooning, more and more pay less taxes, more and more have found themselves on food stamps, jobs are now scarce for FT.
Bad path we are heading down.....

What needs to happen is for some people, to toss away the "politician" label and understand that they are not supposed to be in congress for life and do that right thing. Odds of it happening? slim to none!

HUSKER55
08-31-2013, 06:45 AM
CHANCES OF POLITICIANS CHANGING: SLIM TO NONE

that needed to be stated again because you are correct. The only change that can take place, [ without a shooting revolution ] is voting. Little late for either.

JustRalph
09-01-2013, 12:42 AM
24 hours and no Mosty, Hcap, Goren et al?

Just whistling past the graveyard again.........

FantasticDan
09-01-2013, 10:52 AM
Yeah, where are those libs? They should be as inspired (or bored) to comment on drivel as you are to constantly post it :ThmbUp: :D

Why are these "dems", anyway? Cuz they're anonymous forum posters on democraticunderground? :rolleyes:

I've got another anecdote for ya. I have an old friend of 40 years who lives in CA and works at Disney as an engineer. He has a variety of health problems, least of which is some shoulder surgery he needs done.

So he's talking to his doctor about how he wants it done this year, because next year, everything is going up thru Disney. Premiums, out of pocket max, deductibles, etc.

The doctor asks him, "Well, what about Obamacare?", and my friend says he has no idea, and, "All I know is next year is going to suck, you tell me".

So the doc tells him how it's all a political scare tactic, Disney is actually just opportunistically gouging its employees, and prices are actually going to go down.

My friend, who is NOT an Obama supporter, says he hopes the doctor is right.

Normally I wouldn't even hear about this from my friend, as we've learned to curtail political topics in email conversation for the sake of our friendship. But I mentioned how Obama was traveling thru upstate NY (our old shared stomping grounds), and he brought up the conversation with his doctor.

In the interests of fairness, it should also be noted he called Obama a "rat bastard" in the same exchange of emails. :p

badcompany
09-01-2013, 11:13 AM
I once asked a chief Heart Surgeon the cost of typical heart surgery. He didn't know. Doctors are mainly academics who don't concern themselves the financial side of medicine.

JustRalph
09-01-2013, 12:08 PM
In the interests of fairness, it should also be noted he called Obama a "rat bastard" in the same exchange of emails. :p

Well, at least your friend and I agree on something :ThmbUp:

Yeah, those posters at DU are probably plants. Freepers masquerading as Dems :rolleyes: <----- I can do that one too

I am sure there will be some people who benefit, pay less etc. but the majority won't. Btw, it was predicted that employers would use Obamacare as a way to Increase premiums etc. it was predicted that employers would offload as much healthcare as possible because Obamacare incentivizes them too.

Which is the exact thing that Obama wants. He said he is going to fundamentally change the country. He's doing it. Making people more dependent on government is what he wants. He's getting his way. The Rat Bastard!

PhantomOnTour
09-01-2013, 12:16 PM
Gee - why aren't they responding to my constant drivel?
Really man?
Since the more prominent lefties on this board didn't debunk one of your many daily diatribes then you must be winning !

Ralph - it's ridiculous, really...go get a life...
All this constant anti Obama posting really says more about you than anything or anyone else....it's gotten to the point that MostPost and others are simply tired of knocking your hanging curves out of the park.

JustRalph
09-01-2013, 12:37 PM
Gee - why aren't they responding to my constant drivel?
Really man?
Since the more prominent lefties on this board didn't debunk one of your many daily diatribes then you must be winning !

Ralph - it's ridiculous, really...go get a life...
All this constant anti Obama posting really says more about you than anything or anyone else....it's gotten to the point that MostPost and others are simply tired of knocking your hanging curves out of the park.

Yep that's it...........

MikeH
09-01-2013, 03:03 PM
I've never been a fan of Obamacare, although my personal opinion (which I'm not here to debate) is that businesses should be required to offer some "basic" health plan.

But... I'm in a group of CPAs that have breakfast twice a month for Continuing Education, and I spent about 10 hours trying to assemble a tax analysis of Obamacare to give in a 1 hour presentation & group discussion. Not an easy task, and I didn't come close to understanding everything. (My outline is attached for anyone interested...)

When I got into the analysis, I was *really* revolted by what I saw. It is the most anti-hospital, anti-medical profession, anti-insurance companies piece of legislation that I have ever seen. And, obsolutely NO tort-reform, so Obama's lawyer buddies still get to make all their $$..

Has this been covered in the press? - The insurance companies are REQUIRED to pay an $8 Billion fee allocated mostly based on their revenues. (That's $8,000,000,000...) Who will pay for that?

And the non-profit hospitals (that includes all the ones run by the religious groups) are required to provide free financial assistance. But the For-Profits have no such requirement.

Purchasers of "medical devices" pay a 2.3% excise tax, but the law is written so that only the doctors and hospitals pay it - eyeglasses and other medical devices sold at retail are exempt.

Blue Cross & Blue Shield (which are non-profits) must spend at least 85% of their revenue on claims...(not a bad idea: until the MBAs got involved, that was the goal for most any type of insurance company...) but the law allocates $6 Billion (yes, that's a "B") to set up a co-op to compete with Blue Cross/Shield that's not subject to the same rules.

About the only thing I might agree with is the 10% tax on indoor tanning salons.

The philosophies driving the contents of this bill are beyond repulsive to me.

tucker6
09-01-2013, 03:26 PM
Yeah, where are those libs? They should be as inspired (or bored) to comment on drivel as you are to constantly post it :ThmbUp: :D

Why are these "dems", anyway? Cuz they're anonymous forum posters on democraticunderground? :rolleyes:

I've got another anecdote for ya. I have an old friend of 40 years who lives in CA and works at Disney as an engineer. He has a variety of health problems, least of which is some shoulder surgery he needs done.

So he's talking to his doctor about how he wants it done this year, because next year, everything is going up thru Disney. Premiums, out of pocket max, deductibles, etc.

The doctor asks him, "Well, what about Obamacare?", and my friend says he has no idea, and, "All I know is next year is going to suck, you tell me".

So the doc tells him how it's all a political scare tactic, Disney is actually just opportunistically gouging its employees, and prices are actually going to go down.

My friend, who is NOT an Obama supporter, says he hopes the doctor is right.

Normally I wouldn't even hear about this from my friend, as we've learned to curtail political topics in email conversation for the sake of our friendship. But I mentioned how Obama was traveling thru upstate NY (our old shared stomping grounds), and he brought up the conversation with his doctor.

tell your friend that I have soggy land and iron structures in the shape of a bridge for sale if interested.

Clocker
09-01-2013, 03:49 PM
When I got into the analysis, I was *really* revolted by what I saw. It is the most anti-hospital, anti-medical profession, anti-insurance companies piece of legislation that I have ever seen. And, obsolutely NO tort-reform, so Obama's lawyer buddies still get to make all their $$..

Ironic that the Affordable Care Act did nothing to even try to address health care costs. Many people tried to get tort reform into the bill, but were stone-walled.

As far as care providers, there is a growing trend in the industry that is getting very little coverage in the press. More and more doctors are selling their practices, either to private hospitals or to insurance companies. The typical agreement has the doctors becoming salaried employees of the new owner. Guess how many of those doctors are going to be putting in the long hours that they did in building their practices.

Also, insurance companies are buying private hospitals. It is the standard vertical integration model, When your insurance company sends you to its doctor and its hospital, it has better control of costs and big efficiencies in record keeping and billing and collecting.

Blue Cross & Blue Shield (which are non-profits) must spend at least 85% of their revenue on claims...(not a bad idea: until the MBAs got involved, that was the goal for most any type of insurance company...) but the law allocates $6 Billion (yes, that's a "B") to set up a co-op to compete with Blue Cross/Shield that's not subject to the same rules.

Part of the plan. The Democrats wanted a public option (i.e., government insurer) as part of ObamaCare, but couldn't get it. The back door to the public option is the exchanges and co-ops. And the public option is the back door to single payer.

Tom
09-01-2013, 03:54 PM
The Unaffordable Health Care Act is not about health care at all. Never was.
Obama and his troop of misfits do not care about people.......just controlling them and taxing them.