PDA

View Full Version : $15/hr - what fast food employees want as a wage

DJofSD
08-29-2013, 10:14 PM
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-08-29/fast-food-strikes-expand-across-u-s-to-50-cities.html

Sure, they can ask, and even demand.

Maybe they'll will revive the off-shore remote centers taking the orders.

Dave Schwartz
08-29-2013, 11:21 PM
LOL - Dumbest thing I ever heard of. When you are easily replaceable, including the training, in a matter of days, I just do not see where you have much bargaining power.

Doubling salary?

I don't see this happening.

OntheRail
08-29-2013, 11:38 PM
They keep this up... I see total automation in the near future of fast food. Would have to be more sanitary anyway.

JustRalph
08-30-2013, 12:05 AM
They keep this up... I see total automation in the near future of fast food. Would have to be more sanitary anyway.

We tried that for 50 years........ever heard of the "automat"

Punch it in youtube for video

The first one was around 1910 and disappeared in the late 60's

ManU918
08-30-2013, 02:48 AM
An HR employee at my previous company with a college degree from a good university only made $14/hr.... Granted it was an entry level job but still.

TJDave
08-30-2013, 04:21 AM
Why the hostility?

I think it's great when anyone gets a raise.

I'd certainly support you guys getting a raise.

Saratoga_Mike
08-30-2013, 09:23 AM
Why the hostility?

On average labor is 20% to 30% of a fast-food restaurant's cost. If you increase that component by 50%, most restaurants would become unprofitable.

ThinkingAlways
08-30-2013, 09:27 AM
On average labor is 20% to 30% of a fast-food restaurant's cost. If you increase that component by 50%, most restaurants would become unprofitable.

Even worse: Moving to $15/hr increases labor by 100%

DJofSD
08-30-2013, 09:43 AM
It used to be the business owner was the boss. As long as he and the business operated within the law and regulations, it was his business to run as he saw fit.

And, I believe it is still true that you can leave any place of employment whenever you want -- vote with your feet.

Those were the good old days.

PICSIX
08-30-2013, 09:52 AM
They could pack up and move....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/21/mcdonalds-signing-bonuses_n_1220088.html#s609464title=10_Austin_TX

Dave Schwartz
08-30-2013, 10:05 AM
Why the hostility?

TJDave,

It isn't about hostility. It is about stupidity.

Look back on most of the jobs you have had in your life. Ask yourself, what would have happened if most of the people in the workforce at your employer had walked into the boss and suddenly demanded a 100% increase in salary.

What would have happened?

Personally, I think that the minimum wage SHOULD be about $15 per hour; certainly $12. However, the way to raise it was gradually, spread over the last 30+ years. It cannot be done all at once.

My reasoning for saying SHOULD is twofold:

1. A family with two people working full time should not be at the poverty level. (This is easily debatable but I still believe it.)

2. When the bottom level of income is not much better than what is available from the dole, it kills the incentive to work at that bottom level.

Back on topic: What THEY are asking for is simply not going to happen. Root for it if you want but it is a dream.

johnhannibalsmith
08-30-2013, 10:18 AM
They're crazy not to demand $50.

I mean, who will step in and fill those crucial tasks now if they won't do the job? It's not like there's millions and millions of available people with the needed skills to perform that specialized task.

Clocker
08-30-2013, 10:21 AM
Why the hostility?

It's not hostility, it's reality. The strikers are arguing that they should be paid $15/hour because they need $15/hour. Fast food stores are high volume, low margin operations. They can not absorb such wage increases without large price increases. That leads to lower sales which leads to reductions in jobs.

Tom
08-30-2013, 10:45 AM

At last....GOOD service! :D

Many of those protesting are union hires - not actual working people. This has nothing to do with the workers, as usual, it is all about a huge pool of revenue for the unions. Nothing more.

Clocker
08-30-2013, 11:22 AM
Many of those protesting are union hires - not actual working people. This has nothing to do with the workers, as usual, it is all about a huge pool of revenue for the unions. Nothing more.

Obama's buddies at SEIU are directly participating in this, and the AFL-CIO is also supporting it. While they would like to unionize fast-food workers, WalMart employees, etc., their other major goal is to increase the minimum wage. Many union contracts are tied to the minimum wage. When it goes up, union wages go up. One of the largest beneficiaries from an increase in the minimum wage would be, surprise!!!, SEIU.

Story here. (http://news.investors.com/ibd-editorials-perspective/082613-668781-unions-seek-minimum-wage-hike-because-it-would-also-boost-union-pay.htm)

FantasticDan
08-30-2013, 11:28 AM
It's not hostility, it's reality. The strikers are arguing that they should be paid $15/hour because they need $15/hour. Fast food stores are high volume, low margin operations. They can not absorb such wage increases without large price increases.ABC News said McD's would have to increase prices 25% to maintain the same profit.

Saratoga_Mike
08-30-2013, 11:55 AM
ABC News said McD's would have to increase prices 25% to maintain the same profit.

...and that's a static analysis, i.e., it assumes no demand degradation from the price increase

OntheRail
08-30-2013, 01:31 PM
We tried that for 50 years........ever heard of the "automat"

Punch it in youtube for video

The first one was around 1910 and disappeared in the late 60's

Sure have... even used one. But the Automat's of old were people powered vending machine. No interfacing with the pubic but had only the appearance of automation. Now with today's robotics and tech 1 person could run the show and never be seen... or touch the food.

JustRalph
08-30-2013, 01:36 PM
I was a 911 operator in Charlotte. I made $15.50 to start............in 2009

The benefits were outstanding though

iceknight
08-30-2013, 02:15 PM
An HR employee at my previous company with a college degree from a good university only made $14/hr.... Granted it was an entry level job but still. HR people do any work ? :lol:

DJofSD
08-30-2013, 02:26 PM
HR people do any work ? :lol:
Reminds me of a line from a Dirty Harry movie.

Some companies have great HR departments with good people in them. You find that out when you need their help when there are personal problems.

But, OTOH, I can recall HR being the largest problem when trying to hire people at one place. Every resume had to go through them. They had no idea what was a good candidate and which was not. I ended up wasting dozens and dozens of hours pouring through resumes let alone interviewing people. After my boss finally understood what the problem was, we were able to go around HR and work directly with some recruiters. Ended up filling our positions with great people. The head of HR was not happy and held it against us.

ManU918
08-30-2013, 05:11 PM
HR people do any work ? :lol:

This HR girl was 25 years old... not bad looking and would take 2 smoke breaks a day... to go to her car and smoke a bowl. LOL...

Striker
08-30-2013, 07:11 PM
This HR girl was 25 years old... not bad looking and would take 2 smoke breaks a day... to go to her car and smoke a bowl. LOL...
I'm starting to understand why lots of qualified people can't get hired at companies now.

ManU918
08-30-2013, 07:24 PM
I'm starting to understand why lots of qualified people can't get hired at companies now.

Probably because they don't know how to 1) Put a descent resume together 2) Lie a little bit to make themselves standout more and 3) Are horrible interviewees.

I think getting a job is easy... I know people will probably read this and think I'm crazy but whenever I tried I got one. You have to put the work in and when you get an interview you have to put even more work in. You can't go into companies without doing loads of homework... Not only on the company but the person/persons you are interviewing with. In my previous two jobs, I had extensive multi-day interviews with HR, VP's, then the President/Owner of the company. By the time I walked out of those interviews I could have convinced the president/owner that I shit out hundred dollar bills. Its all about making them believe in you. If you can do that, then you can get a job.

Rookies
08-31-2013, 01:37 PM
Wages are all relative to where you live! $15 per hour wages here, where the average House price is climbing towards 600 large, means you're living in Mom's basement until she passes on. My daughter is struggling @ + 50k. A fairly decent, but not exorbitant apartment downtown of 2 bedrooms, she splits for $1500 per month.
She wants to be on her own... so...

I wondered where the two 'kids' next door who just moved in for 600k and then put in a brand new kitchen with all appliances, etc. did for a living.

Found out one is Prez of a nationwide org and his partner makes about $90k +.

All relative... I couldn't afford to rent my place at this juncture.

dartman51
08-31-2013, 03:10 PM
They're crazy not to demand $50.

I mean, who will step in and fill those crucial tasks now if they won't do the job? It's not like there's millions and millions of available people with the needed skills to perform that specialized task.

I'm sure there are plenty of 'UNDOCUMENTED' workers ready to take these jobs that Americans 'just won't do.' :rolleyes:

dartman51
08-31-2013, 03:21 PM
There are many workers at fast food joints, that are overpaid, at minimum wage.
They can't make change. A few weeks ago, I stopped in at a Taco Bell. My total was $6.47. I handed the kid a 10 spot, then said, I think I have the 7 cents, and promptly handed him a nickle and 2 pennies. You should have seen the dumbfounded look on his face. Had no clue. :eek:

DJofSD
08-31-2013, 03:24 PM
All of those "I deserve a raise" people should be forced to watch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lfxYhtf8o4

Tom
08-31-2013, 04:37 PM
Wages are all relative to where you live!

I don't care where you live, when you are underneath Mayor McCheese and the Hamburglar on the org chart, you ain't worth $15 and hour! :lol: :lol: :lol:

fast4522
08-31-2013, 04:40 PM
Time for a tune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EoowztCoRA