PDA

View Full Version : computer shut down by government

imofe
08-28-2013, 09:00 PM
Opened a private message and all of a sudden my computer says it has been shut down by the government. It says to go and make a payment to get access again. I can not get into safe mode and I can not get off the screen. Anyone how I can remove this virus. Thanks, Imofe

JustRalph
08-28-2013, 09:29 PM
http://blog.yoocare.com/remove-department-of-justice-virus-to-unlock-computer/

Not sure if this is what you have, but I heard it's a real bitch to fix

jerry-g
08-28-2013, 09:58 PM
That little buguar installs itself in your memory. Spybot got rid of it for me
by running at boot time and nabbed it before it could load into memory.

TJDave
08-28-2013, 10:03 PM
Looking at that stuff will make you go blind. ;)

Dave Schwartz
08-28-2013, 10:11 PM
I had something similar about 4 years ago. After removing it like 6 times over 3 days, I took it to my tech guy and let him do it.

DO yourself a favor... find SOMEBODY like the Geek Squad and just pay them to get rid of it.

PaceAdvantage
08-29-2013, 09:28 AM
Opened a private message and all of a sudden my computer says it has been shut down by the government. It says to go and make a payment to get access again. I can not get into safe mode and I can not get off the screen. Anyone how I can remove this virus. Thanks, Imofe
Private message from where? This site? Who sent it to you?

imofe
08-29-2013, 10:41 PM
Had to get a professional to dig me out. Took them about 5 hours . Nasty.

PA I sent you a private message concerning the matter.

ThinkingAlways
08-30-2013, 09:31 AM
Here is a good resource for fixing these types of malware. Doesn't always work as this can be a real PITA to get rid of.

http://malwaretips.com/blogs/u-s-department-of-homeland-security-virus/ (http://malwaretips.com/blogs/u-s-department-of-homeland-security-virus/)

Longshot6977
08-31-2013, 06:29 PM
I have had this DOJ/FBI Ransomware virus several times (OK, I admit it is from straying to nefarious web sites:blush: ) and was scared when I got it the 1st time. I got it a few more times afterwards and can remove it within 5 minutes. Of course, the above links will remove the virus, so start there.

My advice for an easy removal in case you don't understand all the info in the above links is to have an Administator account AND a Guest account when you sign on. I use the guest account daily. If you get the virus, do this if you want the simple fix:

1) Simply switch to your Admin account(or vice versa). (CTR-Alt-Del) The virus allows switching accounts. You now have a fully working PC and normal screen.
2)Now run Malwarebytes (D/L it if needed) to remove the virus. It will remove it.
3)Then, open MSCONFIG and click the start up tab. Unclick anything that looks 'unusual'. Some things may have an exe extension or some weird app name under command that the virus uses. It sometimes disguises itself as a Skype app. Uncheck what you don't recognize. If in doubt, google the item.
4) Using Windows Explorer (not internet explorer) go to c:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming and delete files with the date and time of when you got the virus. There may be the Skype file I mentioned, so delete it also.
5) Reboot the PC.
6) Sign on using the affected account to see if it's removed.:)

It is possible I may have missed a small item since I don't have the virus now. Good luck.

Dave Schwartz
08-31-2013, 06:32 PM
Longshot,

You are becoming quite a treasure trove of good information!

Thanks.

:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Regards,
Dave Schwartz