PDA

View Full Version : Spa Randomness.

Stillriledup
08-28-2013, 05:38 PM
Race 9 today, did anyone handicap this race and bet on it? I would have had a better shot with quick pick, my trip notes meant nothing here, i must have missed something.

You? (its ok to redboard if you had the winner), i'm confused why the 4, 9 or 10 couldnt run a step.

Hoofless_Wonder
08-28-2013, 05:49 PM
Okay, I'll redboard. Feeling cocky since I had the winner of the 9th at the spa, and just reeled in the winner of the 2nd at Del Mar, when I thought the stewards might take a closer look.

I liked the :4: a bit, since claiming a 10YO is dicey, but Brown's numbers with 1st time after claim sort of iffy. I tossed all the horses that ran in the 7th on 8/5, as a matter of principle, and that included the :9: and :10: .

That left me a few others, but speed being as dangerous has it has been lately, I thought the :7: might get loose and hang on. He looked good in the post parade too, but of course had to sweat it from the 1/8 pole down to the wire....

cj
08-28-2013, 06:15 PM
I've got way too much to do today to spend time betting, but on that course isn't this about all you needed?

Stillriledup
08-28-2013, 06:33 PM
I've got way too much to do today to spend time betting, but on that course isn't this about all you needed?
I guess if you went to his race 2 back, he had a chance, but this is a cheap horse with a weak trainer, weak rider and no real class and way more bad performances than good ones. But, this says a lot for the rest of the field, i thought they were a bit better than they turned out to be.

Stillriledup
08-28-2013, 06:34 PM
Okay, I'll redboard. Feeling cocky since I had the winner of the 9th at the spa, and just reeled in the winner of the 2nd at Del Mar, when I thought the stewards might take a closer look.

I liked the :4: a bit, since claiming a 10YO is dicey, but Brown's numbers with 1st time after claim sort of iffy. I tossed all the horses that ran in the 7th on 8/5, as a matter of principle, and that included the :9: and :10: .

That left me a few others, but speed being as dangerous has it has been lately, I thought the :7: might get loose and hang on. He looked good in the post parade too, but of course had to sweat it from the 1/8 pole down to the wire....
The horse who ran 2nd was out of that same race. I found it odd the 4 was such a big price, first time castellano and all, and off a nice visual win, you would think he would get bet a little more.

Ocala Mike
08-28-2013, 06:38 PM
Yes, cj. Unfortunately, I played the 2nd or 3rd best pace figure, the :3: , who was never involved.

My pal from Long Island is making a foray up to the Spa for a long weekend (Thurs.-Sun.), and he loves to play CLOSERS on the turf. I hope he's done his homework, because I have never seen the Spa turf course play to FRONT-RUNNERS as it has during the last 2-3 weeks. Looks like there's been no rain (unusually so), and that has to have something to do with it.

Hoofless_Wonder
At the SPA, ya gotta get some odds 'cause there's going to be long droughts. When I can start making a decent case against some of the chalks (and in this case five horses from the same race), then I start looking at the longer shots regardless of how they look on paper. I just look for a race or two somewhere in their PPs that puts them in the mix.

The killer is at the SPA on turf you can get a bad trip so easily, you've got to have the odds to make it worth the risk. I'm actually shocked at how many favorites win there, 'cause so many of them are HORRIBLE underlays IMHO....

cj
I guess if you went to his race 2 back, he had a chance, but this is a cheap horse with a weak trainer, weak rider and no real class and way more bad performances than good ones. But, this says a lot for the rest of the field, i thought they were a bit better than they turned out to be.

It says more about the track than the field, though surely the field helped. There were no future stakes winners in there. The inside is a paved highway right now.

CincyHorseplayer
08-28-2013, 07:02 PM
Absolutey.You get fanned wide you lose ground,you get fanned wide on this turf it's over for you.

Stillriledup
08-28-2013, 08:48 PM
It says more about the track than the field, though surely the field helped. There were no future stakes winners in there. The inside is a paved highway right now.

No doubt. The key is to not lose a large chunk of a bankroll betting on horses with no shot when that money can come in handy a few weeks down the line when these horses come back on a more fair course.

Maybe we can get some huge rains and change up that track a bit.

burnsy
08-30-2013, 07:59 AM
Theres a chance for thunderstorms Saturday, Sunday, Monday. The thing is though when that happens it could be raining 10 miles from the track and miss the track completely. If we get one of those "Saratoga, summer, cloud bursts" things might change, but i would keep betting speed on the grass. This happens every year up here to some extent but this year has been unusually dry, of course, it rained almost every day in June so we were due for dry weather. Once you get on board its anything but random, there has been a parade of front run wins.........at every price.

Tom
08-30-2013, 10:25 AM

You get times when the horse is secondary to the track.
I handicap the SPA races as if they were all 2 furlongs. :rolleyes:

Stillriledup
09-13-2013, 06:08 PM
Image of Disco, the horse talked about in the OP, ran in the 1st race today at Belmont. Unfortunately, the public didnt bet him at all, up to 7-1 from a ML of 7-2 and ran like he dropped anchor.

CincyHorseplayer
09-13-2013, 06:59 PM
Even though the inner turf was favoring speed on Travers day.A group of maiden fillies set fractions of 47.8 and 111.8 led by Amazing Abby,making her 2nd start on the turf.Laughing that day set fractions of 48.4 and 112.2 in the Ballston Spa(G2).She got beat 7 plus lengths but that's fast for maiden fillies.It was the only race on the inner turf where closers ran 1-2..She races Sunday at Belmont.

CincyHorseplayer
09-21-2013, 08:45 PM
Even though the inner turf was favoring speed on Travers day.A group of maiden fillies set fractions of 47.8 and 111.8 led by Amazing Abby,making her 2nd start on the turf.Laughing that day set fractions of 48.4 and 112.2 in the Ballston Spa(G2).She got beat 7 plus lengths but that's fast for maiden fillies.It was the only race on the inner turf where closers ran 1-2..She races Sunday at Belmont.

From this same race Life's A Stage chased that fast pace before tiring but outfinished Amazing Abby.This horse had topped out coming into the race and as a closer flashed speed for the first time running into a pace that outshone G2 types,very unfortunate.If she had been a typical frontrunning type I wouldn't even mention this.I expect her to lay back off the pace like normal and make a huge run.Check it out.She runs in Race 6 at Belmont tomorrow.

CincyHorseplayer
10-06-2013, 04:20 PM
Take what you will from my opinion above but Life's A Stage is :7: in the 8th at Belmont right now.

Stillriledup
10-06-2013, 04:51 PM
Take what you will from my opinion above but Life's A Stage is :7: in the 8th at Belmont right now.

2nd!

CincyHorseplayer
10-06-2013, 05:03 PM
Yeah I didn't mess with the exacta so got my money back.It's funny,the last time out they were more eager because of how the track was playing,or so they thought,and they put up stakes fractions.Today they were too patient!I knew she was going to run though.On a normal day the winner would have been a throw in on exotics.Sundays during football season are spot plays only!

And how about my day and night Bengals taking out the unbeaten Patriots today?

Who Dey!!!:D

Stillriledup
10-13-2013, 02:06 PM
Spa randomness has changed to Belmont Randomness!

CincyHorseplayer
11-16-2013, 03:15 PM
2nd!

Well I did believe in that last race at Toga on 8/24.Maidens don't run G1 fractions without tossing winners from it.It took 3 times but I got a 1st at 12-1 and a 2nd at 9/2.Interestingly the 2nd place finisher from the 8/24 race won in LAS last race Chow Fun at 13-1.Still got 1 more gal I'm waiting on to come back and she just had a work the other day.They'll give her 1 more shot before the inner opens.

Stillriledup
11-16-2013, 05:15 PM
Well I did believe in that last race at Toga on 8/24.Maidens don't run G1 fractions without tossing winners from it.It took 3 times but I got a 1st at 12-1 and a 2nd at 9/2.Interestingly the 2nd place finisher from the 8/24 race won in LAS last race Chow Fun at 13-1.Still got 1 more gal I'm waiting on to come back and she just had a work the other day.They'll give her 1 more shot before the inner opens.

WINNER!

LIFES A STAGE!

CincyHorseplayer
11-16-2013, 11:04 PM
WINNER!

LIFES A STAGE!

Finally!I won't bet playbacks more than 3 times!It was $hit or get time for LAS.

Amazing Abby is the other one I'm waiting on.I'll try to post up the entry in a more timely fashion or I know I'll be temporarily banned from SRU Downs!:D

Stillriledup
11-16-2013, 11:51 PM
Finally!I won't bet playbacks more than 3 times!It was $hit or get time for LAS.

Amazing Abby is the other one I'm waiting on.I'll try to post up the entry in a more timely fashion or I know I'll be temporarily banned from SRU Downs!:D

At SRU Downs we don't ban
we open the doors and
pay the man!

I think i have some really negative notes on Amazing Abby, i think she's a crud, but i'd have to check again, tread carefully.

CincyHorseplayer
11-17-2013, 12:30 AM
At SRU Downs we don't ban
we open the doors and
pay the man!

I think i have some really negative notes on Amazing Abby, i think she's a crud, but i'd have to check again, tread carefully.

I usually look at the race charts when I get an entry notice but from memory she seems like just a speed quitter on the turf so yes indeed.