PDA

View Full Version : Volume icon gone

Marshall Bennett
08-27-2013, 01:06 PM
The icon on my task bar at lower right has disappeared and I can't adjust volume which I normally keep off. Anyone know how I can retrieve it without rebooting. Have no idea why it's gone. I have a program running and hate to cancel it it by rebooting. Thank you.

JustRalph
08-27-2013, 01:17 PM
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/279435

You didn't say what version of winders......but try above

Dave Schwartz
08-27-2013, 01:24 PM
On a similar topic, I have one machine that periodically refuses to play any sound file.

Sometimes this manifests itself via an mp3 file that does nothing when "play" is clicked.

Other times it happens when I try to watch a video - any video. MP4, YouTube, my own. The video plays but there is no sound or it is scratchy.

Even a reboot does not cure the problem.

A tech guy suggested uninstalling Adobe Air and on reboot the problem was solved. This problem has recurred about 3 times in the last 6 months. The solution has worked every time.

DJofSD
08-27-2013, 01:27 PM
On a similar topic, I have one machine that periodically refuses to play any sound file.

Sometimes this manifests itself via an mp3 file that does nothing when "play" is clicked.

Other times it happens when I try to watch a video - any video. MP4, YouTube, my own. The video plays but there is no sound or it is scratchy.

A tech guy suggested uninstalling Adobe Air and on reboot the problem was solved. This problem has recurred about 3 times in the last 6 months. The solution has worked every time.
Taking a guess, Adobe Air likely is messin' with your registry.

Dave Schwartz
08-27-2013, 01:55 PM
Not sure about that.

Windows Media player opens but the file does not play properly.

Longshot6977
08-27-2013, 01:57 PM
There are a few ways to get the volume icon back without rebooting. Here's a few solutions (assuming you have Vista or Win7):

Open task manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del)
In the Processes Tab, click to highlight "explorer.exe" (not iexplorer.exe)
Then click "End Process" (desktop icons disappear)
Click on "File" > "New Task (Run)"
In the Open box, type "explorer.exe"
Click OK
Everything should come back, including the Volume icon.

If that doesn't do it, try this:

Go into your Control Panel and open Folder Options(under Tools)
Under the View tab uncheck "Hide protected operating system files (recommended)" and click Apply/OK.
Now go into Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer) and go to C:\Windows\System32\dllcache folder and open it.
Locate the sndvol32.exe file, right click it and choose Copy
Next go to the C:\Windows\System32 folder and open it
In the right pane right click an empty area and choose Paste
Now you should have your volume icon back.

If still no volume icon, try this, (but you'll need to restart the PC when done).

Open the "Run" command (Win Key + R)
Then type "regedit"
In the new window that appears, go to the "Edit" tab, then click "Search"
Look for "IconStreams" or "PastIconStream" and click "next"
Once located, delete both of the above key(s)
Restart your PC and it should be OK now.
Post back with the outcome

Marshall Bennett
08-27-2013, 02:00 PM
Thanks guys. I'm working on it, may just reboot and see if it reappears.
Thanks again.

Marshall Bennett
08-27-2013, 02:20 PM
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/279435

You didn't say what version of winders......but try above
I'm using Vista. Couldn't find info on retrieving icon for Vista with the link, but thanks anyway.

DJofSD
08-27-2013, 02:31 PM
Right Click on Taskbar --> Properties --> Notification Area tab --> under system icons, check Volume.

Longshot6977
08-27-2013, 02:33 PM

Dave, make sure you're using the latest version of Air (3.7?) since I believe some changes were made a few months ago for some security issues and a few other things. And update Adobe FlashPlayer as well.
Also, disable all audio devices you're not using.

When the issue occurs, go into Administrative tools (search in the search box by the start button in lower left of screen.
Then click on Component Services in the right hand pane.
Then click on Services in the left hand pane on the next screen.
Scroll down the list until you get to Windows Audio and doubleclick it.
Make sure the service is Started. If it already is, stop it anyway and restart it.
Make sure startup type is set for Automatic.
Click OK. If still NG, then go back in and on the properties box for Windows Audio click the Dependencies tab. You will see a few components that Windows Audio depends on to work properly. Check that each component is started by scrolling down as before and checking each.
One last item is to click on the Recovery tab next to the Dependencies tab.
Make sure first and second failure are set for Restart the Service. Click OK

Hope some of that helps.

Longshot6977
08-27-2013, 02:34 PM
Marshall, did you try my recommendations? Working yet?

JustRalph
08-27-2013, 04:16 PM
http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-xp-tips/sound-or-volume-tray-icon-missing-in-windows-vista/

Lots to read........but applicable

Dave Schwartz
08-27-2013, 05:46 PM
Dave, make sure you're using the latest version of Air (3.7?) since I believe some changes were made a few months ago for some security issues and a few other things. And update Adobe FlashPlayer as well.
Also, disable all audio devices you're not using.

When the issue occurs, go into Administrative tools (search in the search box by the start button in lower left of screen.
Then click on Component Services in the right hand pane.
Then click on Services in the left hand pane on the next screen.
Scroll down the list until you get to Windows Audio and doubleclick it.
Make sure the service is Started. If it already is, stop it anyway and restart it.
Make sure startup type is set for Automatic.
Click OK. If still NG, then go back in and on the properties box for Windows Audio click the Dependencies tab. You will see a few components that Windows Audio depends on to work properly. Check that each component is started by scrolling down as before and checking each.
One last item is to click on the Recovery tab next to the Dependencies tab.
Make sure first and second failure are set for Restart the Service. Click OK

Hope some of that helps.

Thank you for the advice. I have clipped it away.

However, uninstall/reinstall Air seems to be easier and simpler, doesn't it?

Marshall Bennett
08-27-2013, 05:50 PM
Right Click on Taskbar --> Properties --> Notification Area tab --> under system icons, check Volume.
yeah, I tried that but the 3 boxes beneath the clock are whited out where I can't check them including the volume. Don't know why.

Marshall Bennett
08-27-2013, 05:53 PM
Marshall, did you try my recommendations? Working yet?
Sorry, I've been out doing yardwork. I haven't done everything you suggested, but am about to dive in again with it. I'll reboot later tonight maybe it will correct itself if all else fails.
Thanks Longshot for your help.

Longshot6977
08-27-2013, 06:03 PM
Thank you for the advice. I have clipped it away.

However, uninstall/reinstall Air seems to be easier and simpler, doesn't it?

Yes, but that isn't really a fix, just a PITA workaround. Still make sure your Adobe apps are the latest versions as mentioned. Check the other stuff anyway as something may not be set correctly and be causing the issue. Good luck.

Longshot6977
08-27-2013, 06:11 PM
yeah, I tried that but the 3 boxes beneath the clock are whited out where I can't check them including the volume. Don't know why.

If the options are greyed out, you'll have to do the registry fix I mentioned to get them back. It is the 3rd fix mentioned.
Let us know.

Dave Schwartz
08-27-2013, 06:11 PM
I am ALWAYS up to date on everything. (Give or take a couple of days.)

If uninstalling Air fixes the problem, why do you say that Air isn't the problem?

What would the real problem be if it isn't something caused by Air?

Please help me understand this. I would be appreciative.

Marshall Bennett
08-27-2013, 10:48 PM
If the options are greyed out, you'll have to do the registry fix I mentioned to get them back. It is the 3rd fix mentioned.
Let us know.
Thanks Longshot, it worked. I did have to go to HP site for a little added help. Typed in "iconstreams" and 3 items appeared. I had to delete both "iconstreams" and "pasticonstreams". Restarted Vista and then right clicked task bar, went to properties, notification area, and the boxes were no longer greyed out. There is also a box "Network" which isn't checked. Don't know if this should be checked or not. Everything seems normal again none the less.
I want to thank you guys for your help. Great bunch of people here always willing to help and that's wonderful.
If anyone else has a problem such as I had you might want to try the same.

Longshot6977
08-28-2013, 09:13 AM
We're glad you got it all sorted out:ThmbUp: .

gillenr
08-29-2013, 11:47 PM
For about a year I've had a similar problem - vol icon disappearing -- in addition to the vol changing randomly while I'm on my laptop (Toshiba, vista up-to-date). What does AIR do? I just blew it off & nothing seems impaired, but the vol still changed.
Only the icon loss is a real pain - vol level is just annoying.
Thanks