PDA

View Full Version : Saratoga...Friday night dinner suggestions

jdhanover
08-25-2013, 01:39 PM
Not sure which forum this belongs so apologies if there is a better spot

I will be in Saratoga Fri/Sat with my college age daughter. Looking for recommendations for dinner for us Fri night. Not super pricey but not Applebee's either. American or Italian food. And if they take reservations.

We are staying in town and have a car.

Thx!!!

Pine Tree Lane
08-25-2013, 03:17 PM

I will be in Saratoga Fri/Sat with my college age daughter. Looking for recommendations for dinner for us Fri night. Not super pricey but not Applebee's either. American or Italian food. And if they take reservations.

Thx!!!

Nove' in Wilton.

OTM Al
08-25-2013, 04:00 PM

Thx!!!
What price range are you looking for? Plenty of space between Applebee's and pricy there

jdhanover
08-25-2013, 04:43 PM
Price range - I'd say up to the $25/entree area...

OTM Al
08-25-2013, 04:48 PM
Price range - I'd say up to the $25/entree area...

That's pretty easy then. Italian I'd go with Il Forno on North Broadway. For American I'd say Longfellows. Both should be on the web so have a look. There are many good places in that range so let me know if those don't fit the bill

jdhanover
08-25-2013, 05:01 PM
Thx Al, will check those out

Nacumi
08-25-2013, 07:46 PM
Mama Mia. Very good Italian , off the beaten path but nice and close.

OTM Al
08-25-2013, 07:51 PM
Mama Mia. Very good Italian , off the beaten path but nice and close.

Some people seem to think this. I found it crowded, loud, a little cheesy in decor, and unremarkable food unless you want a pizza, which did look good. There are many better Italian places IMO. To be honest I had indigestion that night after I ate there. I've had worse, but there is far better available around town.

Nacumi
08-25-2013, 08:05 PM
It is crowded and loud, but there's ample parking (shopping center wise), nice wine and lots of local color. :D

onefast99
08-26-2013, 04:36 PM
Winslows great food good prices not stuffy. Hatties for fried chicken a bit hot inside, prefer to sit outside by the bar. Comfort Kitchen is good for a quick meal(most of the time)prices are a bit high but in range. Try the tator tots they are really good. Enjoy!

jdhanover
08-26-2013, 04:42 PM
Thx guys. My daughter liked il fornos menu. Do they take reservations? If do, I assume we need one

Saratoga_Mike
08-26-2013, 04:49 PM
That's pretty easy then. Italian I'd go with Il Forno on North Broadway. For American I'd say Longfellows. Both should be on the web so have a look. There are many good places in that range so let me know if those don't fit the bill

Agree with you on Il Forno...and he can grab some Hattie's Fried Chicken at the track.

OTM Al
08-26-2013, 07:18 PM
Thx guys. My daughter liked il fornos menu. Do they take reservations? If do, I assume we need one

Yes they do and it would be a good idea to get one. This weekend will be lighter but it is a popular place so I recommend you do it by Wednesday to be sure. They use Open Table so you can book right on the web site. And I must apologize for calling it Il Forno. It is just Forno or Forno Bistro. I have a place called Il Fornetto down the street I used to go to a lot as it also had an OTB.

OTM Al
08-26-2013, 07:23 PM
Agree with you on Il Forno...and he can grab some Hattie's Fried Chicken at the track.

Hattie's was a great disappointment to me. The chicken is very good but the other stuff on the menu is awful. They boiled rice and dumped some beans from a can on it and called it beans and rice. That's like dumping ketchup on egg noodles and calling it spaghetti marinara. F'ing up beans and rice is hard to do.

Chicken at the track is a better idea. I'm also partial to the Mac and cheese truck and Mo's Southwestern Grill stand, both by the carosel.