PDA

View Full Version : Grade 1 King's Bishop

iceknight
08-23-2013, 01:44 AM
Foxwoods King's Bishop S. (Grade I)

EQB Entries Link (http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Results.cfm?type=Stakes&stkid=1820)

A fourteen horse field.. If you get your longshot right, big money to be made. at 1-2 or 3 positions!

Prog/PP Horsepower Driver Wt Trainer
1 Salutos Amigos J L Ortiz 117 E J Guillot
2 Forty Tales J Rosario 123 T A Pletcher
3 Capo Bastone I Ortiz, Jr. 117 T A Pletcher
4 Slan Abhaile A Garcia 117 D L Romans
5 Majestic Hussar J Lezcano 117 E Kenneally
6 Bad Hombre J Alvarado 117 J C Kimmel
7 Mentor Cane E S Prado 117 J A Shirreffs
8 Declan's Warrior J R Velazquez 119 N P Zito
9 Overanalyze J Castellano 123 T A Pletcher
10 Let Em Shine M E Smith 117 A Kitchingman
11 Integrity R Maragh 117 C C Brown
12 Central Banker R Albarado 117 A M Stall, Jr.
13 Miraculousmo R Napravnik 117 D L Romans
14 No Distinction J Rocco, Jr. 117 R L Morse

For the record 14 No Distinction is the only horse that was bred in FL. But does that data really matter for the actual race? I still don't understand how the state where a horse was bred needs to be written alongside ALL the time, but I digress.

I am going with :8: Declan's Warrior -- hope to get 4-1 or more to bet.

and the wildcard :4: Slan Abhaile... has got good early speed, tenacity and he does have a good post position for these 6-7f type races, imo. will take a P-S shot on this one.

I am surprised to see :9: Overanalyze in a "sprint", but then if he proves to be a push button horse, it will be a nice story. He is somewhat on the outside so it should help for his closing type style.. at an ML of 12-1...it is worth a teeny bet.

WIN bet on :8: Declan's Warrior he can do this..has a good turn of foot.. has had some issues with getting bumped around before so hopefully the fact that Johnny V chose this one over Capo Bastone etc.. means something big.

:11: Integrity - Another wildshot play.. obviously Chad Brown thinks seriously enough of this Hard Spun progeny.. at these prices.. sure I will take a small wildshot swing at Win position if over 12-1

:13: Miraculousmo - this horse's both starts have been on "good" or wet fast" tracks.. so I am not how he will do on a dry fast track. Will he do better, improve a lot from the last July win.. I dunno.. but if over 15-1 hey why not take a shot at W

Contenders but low prices...
:2: Forty Tales - sure he wins, got Rosario, alters crse and wins etc but a large field and inner post AND low price makes me very hesitant. Plus 'Toga is not good for favorites so I will sell in may and walk away!

Not sure why the 14 is here.. but hey Randy Morse is a smart horseman.. I don't have money to bet on every horse though..so we will hope that this horse won't go past Central banker anyway!

picks: :8: Declan's Warrior - if over 4-1
:4: Abhayile... PS

:9: Overanalyze - win bet if over 10-1
:11: Integrity - win bet if over 12-1
:13: Miraculousmo win if over 15-1 .actually scratch that.. in Ex with 8 and 2 only

iceknight
08-23-2013, 01:52 AM
Some general history on Kings Bishop
http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Results.cfm?type=Stakes&stkid=1820

Been gr 1 since 1999. Purse went up to $500k last year. Before that purse was 250k or something.

Hard Spun is one of the winners of this race in the past.. so the reason I am mentioning two of his sons in this race.

Tale of the Cat won it long time ago.. :2: 's sire.

Also, does ANYONE have the clip of this race from 2005 when Valid Video won... and Ghostzapper was 3rd...by 2 noses.. Would love see that one, for obvious reasons!

Other winners: http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Results.cfm?type=Stakes&stkid=1820

precocity
08-23-2013, 02:06 AM
Overanalyze J Castellano---- betting the house and the dog!

PhantomOnTour
08-23-2013, 02:07 AM
Some general history on Kings Bishop
http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Results.cfm?type=Stakes&stkid=1820

Been gr 1 since 1999. Purse went up to $500k last year. Before that purse was 250k or something.

Hard Spun is one of the winners of this race in the past.. so the reason I am mentioning two of his sons in this race.

Tale of the Cat won it long time ago.. :2: 's sire.

Also, does ANYONE have the clip of this race from 2005 when Valid Video won... and Ghostzapper was 3rd...by 2 noses.. Would love see that one, for obvious reasons!

Other winners: http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Results.cfm?type=Stakes&stkid=1820
I think Great Notion split those two at very nice odds with pat day up. I made a nice score on that race...they went very fast early and Ghostzapper was rolling late but missed 2nd by a nose.

iceknight
08-23-2013, 02:23 AM
Some general history on Kings Bishop...

Other winners: http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Results.cfm?type=Stakes&stkid=1820 OOPS.. it was in 2003. Dunno how I got the year wrong!

Stillriledup
08-23-2013, 04:21 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_op5e6gh69I

iceknight
08-23-2013, 11:37 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_op5e6gh69I SRU!! so did you get into the youtube video business? :lol: You should add google adsense and pitch ads to make $ when it goes viral!

Valuist
08-23-2013, 02:19 PM
Lost in the Fog won the race in 2005. Valid Video won it in 2003. If my memory is correct, there was a (good) rail bias that day and Ghostzapper tried to close against the grain of the bias. Then in the fall at Belmont, Ghostzapper ran in the Vosburgh and just annihilated the field.

iceknight
08-23-2013, 02:29 PM
Lost in the Fog won the race in 2005. Valid Video won it in 2003. If my memory is correct, there was a (good) rail bias that day and Ghostzapper tried to close against the grain of the bias. Then in the fall at Belmont, Ghostzapper ran in the Vosburgh and just annihilated the field. I am jealous that all of you commentors got to see it and all I get to see so far are charts. lol.. maybe I will have to write to NYRA and locate this video haha

iceknight
08-23-2013, 03:02 PM
this Originally Posted by Robert Fischer (in the Travers thread)
KB i've got 3 usable horses
:9: 12/1 ml Overanalyze
:10: 6/1 ml Let Em Shine
:5: 10/1 ml Majestic Hussar
Definitely taking a second serious look at Majestic Hussar, esp after RB's endorsement!

Robert Fischer
08-23-2013, 04:27 PM

I think he'll love the cutback in distance. In WVD he had the 9post, did some running, but got a little tired out, and Departing fired a good one.

Robert Fischer
08-23-2013, 04:35 PM
this
Definitely taking a second serious look at Majestic Hussar, esp after RB's endorsement!

he could be a good addition.

He was hard-used beyond his distance preferences in the Fountain of Youth. - That was the race where Violence was a highly touted horse and Violence got hurt trying to be too game on that fast pace.

KB may have been the comeback goal since the FOY, but it's a little tough to run 1st off the layoff on August 3rd(and you can see his sharp works leading up to that OC race), and then run in the King's Bishop.

It's wide open, but he has some things to like for sure.

pondman
08-23-2013, 04:53 PM
:10: Let Em Shine 6-1-- This is the one to beat. Can put on a speed show. Considerable improvement in rider. Probably see this one in BC

Ocala Mike
08-23-2013, 04:55 PM
Going with the :8: . As another poster said, Johnny V turning up here for Zito is too interesting to pass up.

precocity
08-23-2013, 06:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_op5e6gh69I
:lol: with a lineup like that have to go after the tri and super will have a w/p bet on the :9: :ThmbUp:

letswastemoney
08-23-2013, 08:34 PM
:10: Let Em Shine 6-1-- This is the one to beat. Can put on a speed show. Considerable improvement in rider. Probably see this one in BC
I'd bet $100 to lose on Let Me Shine. They won't let him get away with an easy pace and he's just going to make all the other pacesetters like Mentor Cane run too fast as well.

Birdstone
08-23-2013, 08:42 PM
I'm on the :8: Declan's Warrior wagon as well. Sorry to all in advance :lol: :lol:

jefftune
08-23-2013, 10:27 PM
Gee, I like Declan's Warrior too. Then Let Em Shine, Forty Tales, No Distinction.

Some_One
08-24-2013, 02:42 AM
:14: :9: :10:

burnsy
08-24-2013, 09:03 AM
this

I like this horse too. Two wins up here and the last one (prep for this) was fast in open company. Went fast and had something left at the end. Beat Palice Malice for fun at this distance, but it was slop. Still, i think this horse is fast and under the radar. Could be a real sprint talent if he puts races together.

Valuist
08-24-2013, 09:36 AM
Eric Donavon is one of the best morning line makers around.

Having said that, if you are planning on betting Let Em Shine, do not expect anywhere near 6-1. I expect him to be much closer to 7-2 or 4-1. There's many of the same horses that ran in the Woody Stephens. Forty Tales was 9-1 while Let Em Shine was slightly under 5-2 and Declan's Warrior was just under 5-1. So what happens? Let Em Shine is pushed by Zee Bros thru a very fast pace and is still only beaten 1 length. Declans Warrior benefits from the fast pace but has plenty of road trouble in the stretch, and is beaten 3/4 of a length. Forty Tales has the good pace scenario AND stays traffic free and is all out to beat both of them. Forty Tales then gets another perfect setup when Mentor Cane blows the turn, killing his chance to win the Amsterdam. Declans Warrior runs a dull 5th.

So you adjust from the Woody Stephens and Let Em Shine and Forty Tales have to be very close in the betting; probably 7-2ish each with Declan's Warrior in the neighborhood of 6-1/7-1.

depalma113
08-24-2013, 10:00 AM
14, 2/ 14, 2, 6, 10, 8

JustRalph
08-24-2013, 10:09 AM
Equisim software raw numbers show 6 horses within 2L at the finish......

this could be a wrestling match to get to the wire.........

I think the track is going to decide.......speed was good yesterday. Should be interesting to see how it runs today......

Equisim finish........top 6. It's a fun program to use..... in these types.
Are they going to let 14 start?

:14: :5: :1: :10: :7: :2:

Valuist
08-24-2013, 10:40 AM
I wonder if the connections of Mentor Cane try to take the horse off the pace today. He bolted on the lead last time out, and now Let Em Shine is in the race. Looks like a good spot to try to see if he will rate.

jerry-g
08-24-2013, 11:19 AM
I just kept going back 14 times to :2: Forty Tales a Pletcher horse. In his
next out he gained on the turns, 4 1/2 on the turn and 4 3/4 in the stretch.
From post 2, he should have an advantage. The only negative I see is that
JR got broken. He seems like a horse to me that knows how to win regardless
of the situation.

Stillriledup
08-24-2013, 04:53 PM
Speed has been tough to catch....the two shortest prices horses are deep closers, i'd have a hard time thinking Forty Tales and the Zito horse are going to run 1-2 here, but if the jocks all ride like its a 2 furlong race, maybe they can.

PhantomOnTour
08-24-2013, 05:07 PM
With the way the track is playing I wouldn't be surprised to see this bomb #1 or #14 hang around for a long time.
The #1 will get a nice inside trip and can hang with a quick pace...likely to back off but that price is very high.

Robert Fischer
08-24-2013, 05:11 PM
:9::5::10::1::7::2:
:9::5::10:
I like Overanalyze

Adding the 17 because they have some quality.

i really dislike forty tales but hate to miss my exacta for him.

WPS on :9:
W on :9::5::10:
boxing all 6 in an exacta

pele polo
08-24-2013, 05:13 PM
14, 2/ 14, 2, 6, 10, 8

No Disticntion best value of the day... Best value I've seen all year in a graded stakes

Tom
08-24-2013, 05:14 PM
:5:

pele polo
08-24-2013, 05:16 PM
No Disticntion best value of the day... Best value I've seen all year in a graded stakes

Made a nice move on the turn and took a bump that probably took the air out of him

Robert Fischer
08-24-2013, 05:17 PM
that was tough race! :D

good action

Tom
08-24-2013, 05:18 PM
Hard to believe most of of those horse actually trained for this race and ran like goats.

Love the comment on Zito's horse - absolutely lethargic!

TheEdge07
08-24-2013, 05:20 PM
Did Pletcher even know Cape Bastone was in the race...??

PhantomOnTour
08-24-2013, 05:20 PM
In
my
eye

thought that #14 had a great shot in the stretch, but he was gassed.

Robert Fischer
08-24-2013, 05:23 PM
14 loomed big

those were 14 fast(for the most part) grade 2or3 sprinters going all-out for $500K

TheEdge07
08-24-2013, 05:25 PM

Let Em Shine more sizzle then steak

CincyHorseplayer
08-24-2013, 05:28 PM
I took the :6: at a big price thinking he'd tuck behind the first flight and make a move entering.And of course a deep closer wins it!The only thing entering is me into a pronounced drought at the Spa!Jesus!

cj
08-24-2013, 05:29 PM
Let Em Shine more sizzle then steak

Hopefully SRU jumped off the bandwagon before today.

TheEdge07
08-24-2013, 05:30 PM

SRU is tryng to figure out what happen to Spellbound:lol: :lol:

iceknight
08-24-2013, 05:30 PM
I lost some money :lol: bwaaaahh

can't believe it but then Belmont 2011 was another crapshoot like this... so oh well

Stillriledup
08-24-2013, 06:02 PM

Im still on the bandwagon as a fan, but today's race was too competitive to "single" a favorite-type of horse, that's not how i bet.

Too bad he was disappointing, not sure what happened to him today, maybe the guy ruined him by racing him 7 furlongs and not keeping him at 6.

Stillriledup
08-24-2013, 06:08 PM
SRU is tryng to figure out what happen to Spellbound:lol: :lol:

She was injured i believe. If i give out a horse as a star in the making, they either become a star, or get injured. You know, its a fleeting game this thoroughbred horse racing, you can go from hero to goat awfully quick in this sport, whether you're a horse or a human participant.

Robert Fischer
08-24-2013, 06:23 PM
She was injured i believe. If i give out a horse as a star in the making, they either become a star, or get injured. You know, its a fleeting game this thoroughbred horse racing, you can go from hero to goat awfully quick in this sport, whether you're a horse or a human participant.

Have to keep a sense of humility, and at the same time, self-confidence. :ThmbUp:

Stillriledup
08-24-2013, 06:26 PM
Have to keep a sense of humility, and at the same time, self-confidence. :ThmbUp:

Exactly. :ThmbUp:

Grits
08-24-2013, 06:31 PM

This race bothered me, a lot. I missed an obvious fact. Saw it late, then ignored it, still. I wasn't betting today, simply, watching and handicapping. Cape Bastone had run only a neck behind the favorite, Forty Tales, in the Derby Trial. One furlong more in distance. And this Pletcher horse is allowed to go off and pay $58 bucks to win? Normally, I look closely at any Pletcher horse that's in at higher odds, its been a wise habit. ... This small mistake, on my part, made me weary.

GMB@BP
08-24-2013, 06:41 PM
Where was forty tales? He ran no where, also Let Em Shine was being asked to keep up before the got to the turn.

I actually thought the way the track was playing Mentor Crane should have won give the trip, against that horse next time.

TheEdge07
08-24-2013, 08:04 PM
This race bothered me, a lot. I missed an obvious fact. Saw it late, then ignored it, still. I wasn't betting today, simply, watching and handicapping. Cape Bastone had run only a neck behind the favorite, Forty Tales, in the Derby Trial. One furlong more in distance. And this Pletcher horse is allowed to go off and pay $58 bucks to win? Normally, I look closely at any Pletcher horse that's in at higher odds, its been a wise habit. ... This small mistake, on my part, made me weary.

Grits no bets today..God bless you

JustRalph
08-24-2013, 08:09 PM

I saw that too.........after the race.......
:lol:

Grits
08-24-2013, 10:10 PM
Grits no bets today..God bless you

Thank you, sweetheart! ROTFLLLLLLL

Grits
08-24-2013, 10:11 PM
I saw that too.........after the race.......
:lol:

Great minds ... we're a day late and a dollar short!!! :lol:

Valuist
08-25-2013, 11:26 PM
Where was forty tales? He ran no where, also Let Em Shine was being asked to keep up before the got to the turn.

I actually thought the way the track was playing Mentor Crane should have won give the trip, against that horse next time.

Four of the top 5 finishers in the race were 12 or more lengths back after 4 furlongs. And after putting away Let it Shine, its amazing Mentor Cane was anywhere close at the finish. I came away extremely impressed with Mentor Cane.

Grits
08-26-2013, 10:58 AM
FWIW. It hasn't gone unnoticed in regard to the Sherriffs barn.

Mentor Cane has talent, he can run.

"The Second Coming" aka Eblouissante? She's still, on the backside, schooling in the gate . . . THUD. :lol:

Maybe, at some point, she'll show a bit of her sister's gift. Maybe . . .

GMB@BP
08-26-2013, 12:41 PM
Four of the top 5 finishers in the race were 12 or more lengths back after 4 furlongs. And after putting away Let it Shine, its amazing Mentor Cane was anywhere close at the finish. I came away extremely impressed with Mentor Cane.

I agree after looking at the charts and the figures, I was wrong, he ran an exceptional race.

Stillriledup
08-31-2013, 03:09 AM
Anyone know where i could find the head on replay for the Kings Bishop?

Speed Figure
08-31-2013, 03:40 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tX1i6MhDFlI

Stillriledup
08-31-2013, 03:45 AM
Thank you SF, all i see is a bunch of celebrations. Now, if i can figure out how those celebrations (instead of seeing the head on shot) are going to make me money when these horses all run back, i'd be in good shape!! :D

Speed Figure
08-31-2013, 03:57 AM
I didn't see that you wanted the head on replay....:lol:

Stillriledup
08-31-2013, 04:37 AM
I didn't see that you wanted the head on replay....:lol:

:D

I appreciate what they're doing in the film room in NY...after all, seeing winners circle celebrations are just what i want to see in the wee hours of the morning when i'm trying to sniff out winners....but, they knew that already!

Hoofless_Wonder
08-31-2013, 10:47 AM

Or, in a different question, why do Twinspires and Xpressbet have the head on replay of the other 13 races at Saratoga last Saturday, but not the 11th?

Stillriledup
08-31-2013, 03:45 PM
Or, in a different question, why do Twinspires and Xpressbet have the head on replay of the other 13 races at Saratoga last Saturday, but not the 11th?

i agree, makes no sense, its not like a horse went down in a heap and they had to "Censor" us.