PDA

View Full Version : Family sells everything to visit all 50 states

RunForTheRoses
08-22-2013, 05:06 PM
Wonder if they did any Track Collecting

http://www.today.com/travel/family-sells-everything-visit-all-50-states-6C10974914

jballscalls
08-22-2013, 05:39 PM
the picture from Miles City looks like it had a horse race in the top right hand corner!

Tom
08-22-2013, 09:54 PM
Didn't anyone tell them were 57 states? :eek:

PhantomOnTour
08-22-2013, 09:59 PM
Their final state will be #51 - the welfare state

highnote
08-22-2013, 11:36 PM
My wife and I have been to every state except Alaska and our kids have been to most states and should make it to all 50 in the next few years and we won't have had to sell everything to do it.

Sounds like this family had a great trip, but I wouldn't do it by RV. There are too many great places where an RV can't get to.

We could do it for less than $264 per day and stay in motels and eat in restaurants.

However, there is something to be said for being in an RV and cooking your own meals. Restaurant food gets tiring after awhile. However, there are plenty of great cabins in awesome locations that have kitchens.

We do a lot of cross country trips and while I have often thought about getting an RV for the trips, the downside always seems to outweigh the upside. There are some great places in Wyoming and Colorado that are inaccessible by RV.

We oftentimes pick a couple of destinations in Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, etc. and then find a cabin to make our home base and make day trips.

We enjoy staying in Cooke City, Montana and then driving into Yellowstone Park during the day. At night we can return to our cabin and either make a nice dinner or eat in town.

Grand Lake, Colorado is a great little town on the edge of Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park. Spectacular setting and plenty of cabins and restaurants.

There are little towns like that all over the country.

When we feel adventurous we might camp in a national forest. You don't need a camping permit in national forests and you can pitch your tent anywhere. The key is to talk to some locals about good camping spots. We found an incredible spot in Medicine Bow National Forest next to a stream. It was like the Garden of Eden. Our spot is surrounded by a mountain on one side and natural rock walls on the other three sides with a stream running through it. The best part -- absolutely no other people for miles! I did almost step on a rattlesnake, though! So there are risks.

When we go to the big cities we spend a little more on hotels, but get to be right in the heart of the city and not have to worry about parking an RV or driving it around the city. It's bad enough driving a car in NYC, let alone an RV!

Damn. Now I'm ready to go on vacation! :D