PDA

View Full Version : Mule Racing

classhandicapper
08-22-2013, 04:30 PM
Does anyone know the percentage of winning favorites for mule racing?

(don't laugh)

thaskalos
08-22-2013, 04:42 PM
(don't laugh)

It's hard not to... :)

classhandicapper
08-22-2013, 04:47 PM
It's hard not to... :)

I handicapped 6 mule races in the last couple of weeks (saw one for the first time recently, laughed my ass off, and have been betting $5 a race for fun since then) and picked 4 winners. The problem is that the are all odds on favorites. I'm curious as to whether I'm just catching a period of standouts and formful results or whether this is typical. They seem fairly easy to handicap. The big issue is getting out of the gate and running a straight path. :lol:

iceknight
08-22-2013, 04:51 PM
Does anyone know the percentage of winning favorites for mule racing?

(don't laugh) You have to check the winning Sire stats first ?

lamboguy
08-22-2013, 04:55 PM
its got to be pretty high. i have been betting on BAR JF REDTICKET every start this year so far. i will bet the other mule BAR JF HOT TICKET when she draws outside her sister. she will be over even money and could win.

Stillriledup
08-22-2013, 05:17 PM
Love me some mules.

If there's a dominating favorite who never seems to lose, those horses are pretty consistent and usually don't let the public down. In wide open races, anything happen, these things weave all over the shop, i wouldnt trust a favorite in a race where the fave is over even money.

VeryOldMan
08-22-2013, 05:29 PM
You have to check the winning Sire stats first ?
LOL - fun thread! Looks like class rises to the top - found this on a Web site about the winning sire:

SWEETWATER STERLING

The Most Accomplished Mule Racing Sire of all Time.

Sweetwater Sterling's offspring have exceeded all expectations. He has produced mule racing champions.

Here are the results of lamboguy's go-to pick:

http://form.horseracing.betfair.com/horse?horseId=2.MU000662

VeryOldMan
08-22-2013, 05:45 PM
its got to be pretty high. i have been betting on BAR JF REDTICKET every start this year so far. i will bet the other mule BAR JF HOT TICKET when she draws outside her sister. she will be over even money and could win.

3 years old, but a good read about the sibling rivalry:

http://form.horseracing.betfair.com/horse?horseId=2.MU000662

stu
08-22-2013, 08:28 PM
A good resource for the long-ears http://www.muleracing.org/AMRA/index.asp

Fun to watch - I am happy to have seen the Black Ruby vs. Taz match race at Del Mar.

Dan Montilion
08-22-2013, 08:34 PM
This week at DMR... according to my betting records that is all I have bet is mules.

Dave Schwartz
08-22-2013, 08:44 PM
Elko County Fair - this weekend, I believe.

:lol:

Track Collector
08-22-2013, 09:06 PM
No hard proof, just an observation..........very few upsets at the upper level of mule racing. When the favorite gets beaten, it is usually by the 2nd or 3rd favorite, and not a longshot. It could be due to the fact that there are a very limited number of mules racing, so they are essentially a known quantity.

Lots of fun to watch though. My very first mule race was at the Fresno Fair a number of years back. I now wager on any mule race I see live in person.

For those interested in getting their fix of mule racing, there is a race meet every year during the first weekend of June in Winnemucca, Nevada. The two days of racing are exclusively limited to mules, and the race meet is pari-mutuel. The meet seems to be year-to-year, so no idea how long it will continue. This one is currently not on my visit list yet, but sounds like an interesting, unique experience.

VeryOldMan
08-22-2013, 09:54 PM
For those interested in getting their fix of mule racing, there is a race meet every year during the first weekend of June in Winnemucca, Nevada.

I've been to Winnemucca - missed the mule races alas.

I had no idea that there was parimutuel wagering on mule racing and you guys piqued my curiosity enough to research mule bloodlines and mule PPs. I love this board, but check with me in a couple of years to make sure I haven't lost my house or marriage to degenerate mule wagering :)

classhandicapper
08-23-2013, 08:43 AM
You have to check the winning Sire stats first ?

Don't laugh. The other day I was looking at Little Sarah. She's a CLONE of Sarah Nelson. Little Sarah was stretching out in distance. So I looked at the PPs of the original to get a line on her distance abilities. :lol:

In Lil Sarah's PPs the pedigree information says "Unknown". :lol:

cj
08-23-2013, 09:23 AM
Don't laugh. The other day I was looking at Little Sarah. She's a CLONE of Sarah Nelson. Little Sarah was stretching out in distance. So I looked at the PPs of the original to get a line on her distance abilities. :lol:

In Lil Sarah's PPs the pedigree information says "Unknown". :lol:

There comes a time when a person may need to look at himself in the mirror and admit I need help. If no mirror is available, reading this post out loud ought to do it.

Tom
08-23-2013, 09:34 AM
Do you have a Pace Projector for mules?

(must-seek-help)

iceknight
08-23-2013, 11:41 AM

In Lil Sarah's PPs the pedigree information says "Unknown". :lol: My remarks on sire stats was tongue in cheek, because from what I vaguely remember .. aren't mules a cross between a horse and a donkey? and i dont even know which one is the male in that.. ok checked wiki.. Male donkey.. so definitely it is a good joke to try to follow Sire stats there! Sorry that many people offered serious opinions on this after that..

classhandicapper
08-23-2013, 01:55 PM
There comes a time when a person may need to look at himself in the mirror and admit I need help. If no mirror is available, reading this post out loud ought to do it.

A guy has to do something for fun when he's got a few beers in him and is finished handicapping the T-Breds. ;)

cj
08-23-2013, 02:11 PM
A guy has to do something for fun when he's got a few beers in him and is finished handicapping the T-Breds. ;)

Remington and Canterbury are still open!

classhandicapper
08-23-2013, 03:24 PM
Remington and Canterbury are still open!

When I'm betting mules I know I have no idea what I'm doing. So I bet $5 a race. At Remington and Canterbury I'm in danger of convincing myself I actually know something. So it could get costly. ;)

classhandicapper
08-23-2013, 03:26 PM
Do you have a Pace Projector for mules?

(must-seek-help)

It's on the long term project list (target date never). ;)

Tom
08-23-2013, 03:33 PM
And what will you call the TF numbers for mule races.....BRAYERS? :lol:

(Must-seek-help)

cj
08-23-2013, 03:46 PM
And what will you call the TF numbers for mule races.....BRAYERS? :lol:

(Must-seek-help)

I'm still calling them pace figures, I'm stubborn.

VeryOldMan
08-23-2013, 03:50 PM
Well played, Tom and cj. Well played.

johnhannibalsmith
08-23-2013, 09:14 PM
Well played, Tom and cj. Well played.

Indeed... :lol:

classhandicapper
06-20-2014, 01:18 PM
Today opens the season for Mule racing! Today's first race at Oak Tree at Pleasanton is a beauty. I'm armed with speed figures, trip notes, replays, trainer stats, and a $100 bankroll for the season! :lol:

mountainman
06-22-2014, 10:54 AM
Pushed hard to match invincible "black ruby" with hapless "zippy chippy"... war of sexes...war of species...vaunted winner vs chronic loser...still think it would have gone huge..couldn't quite sell management.

theiman
06-22-2014, 01:23 PM
Pushed hard to match invincible "black ruby" with hapless "zippy chippy"... war of sexes...war of species...vaunted winner vs chronic loser...still think it would have gone huge..couldn't quite sell management.

Would love to hear Mark and Nancy do their analysis on the mules, if they ever carded a race at the Mountain.

classhandicapper
06-22-2014, 02:55 PM

I would have bought the Pay Per View. :lol:

I hit the first mule race of the season and would have hit the exacta cold had I played it. I have decided to make my own mule speed figures that incorporate track speed. I might be crazy, but I love betting these things. The races are very formful and they are hysterical to watch.

deathandgravity
06-24-2014, 05:41 PM
Love to see West Point offer a partnership in a mule! :jump:

goatchaser
06-24-2014, 07:50 PM
Love to see West Point offer a partnership in a mule! :jump:

It's already been done

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfv82vqG8Bk

BlueShoe
07-01-2014, 05:48 PM
I totally missed it because I ignored the race and passed it, but when one of my Los Al buddies called my attention to it, took a look back. Have any of you ever seen a 9 yo first starter, of any breed, anyplace or time? On June 21 in the first race at Pleasanton, #2 Hoochi Gucci, sire and dam unknown :) , a 9 year old mule making the first start of her career was 6-1 in the ML Not only was she making her first start at an advanced age, but she was pounded in the betting to the 8-5 favorite and won easily by 3 lengths, a huge margin in a 350 yard race.
http://equibase.com/static/chart/pdf/OTP062114USA.pdf

classhandicapper
07-01-2014, 07:34 PM
I totally missed it because I ignored the race and passed it, but when one of my Los Al buddies called my attention to it, took a look back. Have any of you ever seen a 9 yo first starter, of any breed, anyplace or time? On June 21 in the first race at Pleasanton, #2 Hoochi Gucci, sire and dam unknown :) , a 9 year old mule making the first start of her career was 6-1 in the ML Not only was she making her first start at an advanced age, but she was pounded in the betting to the 8-5 favorite and won easily by 3 lengths, a huge margin in a 350 yard race.
http://equibase.com/static/chart/pdf/OTP062114USA.pdf

That mule was very professional for a first time starter. She's running back on Friday. She looks a little slower than some of the others and is taking a big jump in class, but she won for fun first time out.

I'm putting some energy into studying these races. There are a limited number of mules. So I am able to keep a spreadsheet with data and notes on every mule and every race without it being a major distraction to my horse work. So far (with a very limited sample from last year and this year) I am doing well betting them. If that continues, I'll up my bets until I start impacting the odds. :lol: