PDA

View Full Version : Saratoga 'Caps: Thursday, August 22

Teach
08-21-2013, 08:17 PM
Some of you have indicated you enjoy my racing stories; others may find them boring. Either way, I am beginning to run out of material. Here goes.

Cherry Toast

"Would you like jelly on your toast, Sir?" the waitress asked. What kinds of jelly do you have?" I asked. "We have three kinds," the waitress responded, "orange marmalade, grape and our famous cherry. It's made right here in the Glens Falls area," she added. "I'll have the cherry toast," I said.

Just the mention of those two words --"cherry toast" -- brought back a flood of memories. My wife snapped me out of my spell when she said, "Walt," I've never known you to have cherry jelly." "Yeah," I said, "This is for old times sake," I added. My wife looked at me with a quizzical gaze.

About ten years ago, my wife and I celebrated my retirement from teaching by taking a weekend vacation in upstate New York. We made one of those compromises that all married couples make over the years. My wife acceded to my wishes to take in Sunday's race card at "The Spa" if I would spend the first part of the weekend sightseeing and antiquing in the Lake George area. I agreed.

Yet, the thought of that cherry toast at the bed-and-breakfast that morning had brought me back to my college days.

As I think back, it was forty years ago, almost to that day. August, 1963. I was about to enter my senior year at Boston University. Yet, that summer had not been kind to me. I had been dating this drop-dead gorgeous co-ed when suddenly -- out of the blue -- she had told me "that we weren't right for each other." Her comments came as a complete shock. Not only was Sue attractive (Have you've ever seen Melanie Griffith in her page-boy wig in the movie, "Something Wild"?), she was also great company.

Well, I was in this funk. For the next several days I couldn't think straight. Thankfully, the break-up occurred over the summer. Had I had been in school, I don't think I could have attended classes. I was that torn up.

One of the ways I dealt with my depressive moods was to go the track. The excitement of the track. The stimulation. The throngs of people. It perked me up. And, when I made money, it was like a balm. A salve that soothed over life's disappointments.

That Saturday, I had gone to NH's Rockingham Park. In hindsight, I should never have gone. I was too unfocused. I was trying to escape from the pain of the break-up. Under those circumstances, it was foolhardy of me to be betting races. Besides, I needed the money for books and tuition for my senior year.

I recall that I had taken $200 with me to the track. In this day and age that may not seem like much, but, for a relatively poor Boston kid, it was a heckuva of lot of money to be putting at risk.

As I look back, I could do nothing right. Then, I got panicky and started chasing. I was grasping at straws. I was going "tilt." Thankfully, I did hit one of the later races, but I was still down over $100. When I left Rockingham that afternoon, I kept thinking, "I've got to recoup." But where? How? I recall shaking my head for a moment and then thinking, "Wonderland."

"Wonderland," of course,was Wonderland Dog Track in Revere, MA -- a stone's throw from Suffolk Downs. I remember driving south on Route #93 and then cutting over to the east toward Revere. I recall arriving at the dog track about 6:30 PM.

As I walked into the track and bought a program, I was down over a "C-Note." I desperately needed to get back. Yet, I again continued my foolish betting practices. Quinella after quinella hit the track floor. I was now down well over $150. I was fast losing any chance I had of getting back to even. Panic was setting in.

Well, as I think back, it was about the sixth or seventh race that I spotted a dog, whose name I shall never forget ---Cherry Toast. The "bitch" was the number #7 dog in an RC (RevereCourse) 3/8ths race. The more I looked at the form, the more I liked this dog.

Moments later, I went to the windows and said, "$20 to win on the number #7." I then handed the teller the 'Double-Saw' and received my $20 ticket.

A few minutes later, I heard the call:"Now there goes "Swifty" (the lure)." I remember that my #7 dog broke alertly from her outside (she wasn't bumped) and was second as they came down the front-straight. As the greyhounds passed "the curtain turn" and headed for the backstretch, my dog, "Cherry Toast," was now head-and-head with the leader. As the two dogs pushed into the far turn, Cherry Toast had gained the advantage and began pulling away. It was as if -- at that moment -- a weight had been lifted off my shoulders.

I remember letting out with an inaudible scream (sounds like an oxymoron). If, at that moment, I had looked in a mirror, I know my face would have been flushed. Seconds later, thepayoffs were posted on the infield tote. Cherry Toast had paid $15.80 to win. I collected a nifty $158. I remember the teller saying, "Nice hit."

As I think back, I remember playing a couple more races. I ended up the day down about $10. As I left Wonderland that evening, I heaved a deep sigh of relief. I had survived. Maybe, better stated, I had escaped. I had, at least, for that day, become a pari-mutuel Houdini. My tuition and book money were still intact.

Just then, my wife snapped me out of my trance-like state. "Walt,are you all right?" she asked "You seem distant," she added. "You look a little flushed," she continued. "You're not allergic to that cherry jelly." "No Dear, I don't think so." I replied. "It's just that cherry toast brings back so many warm memories," I continued. "Some day," I added, "I'll tell you all about it."

Race One:

:6: Demonstrative won two-straight Grade I steeplechase events. The Elusive Quality-bred gelding has been off over three months; he should be well rested. Trainer Richard Valentine is very good with horses who’ve been away from the racetrack for a lengthy period of time.

Also: :3: ; #s :1: .:1a: .1X; :2:

Race Two:

:5: Two Step Flor comes from a sire that had nearly one-quarter of his first-time starters win. Trainer Mike Trombetta has won 22% of the maiden claimers he’s sent out. The 2 year-old filly had a sharp 3-furlong work, :36.2 breezing from the gate.

Also: :6: ;:2: ;:4:

Race Three:

:4: Easter Gift won his most recent, The Mountainview, at Penn National. The Danzig-bred colt has won six races in eleven lifetime starts. Joel Rosario for Chad Brown. Sharp recent work.

Also: :1: ;:3:

Race Four:

:3: Polecat has had some sharp morning works leading up to this colt’s first pari-mutual start. The Dam, Miss Thermal Tech, has six winners from seven starters. Dom Schettino is good with sprint races.

Also: :1: ,:5: ,:7:

Race Five:

:4: Never On Time could do little on the dirt in a start at Aqueduct at the end of last year. Now back on the lawn, the Any Given Saturday-bred gelding is in his element. The gelding has won two race in three tries on the grass. Jose Ortiz for Linda Rice.

Also: :6: ; :2:; :1:

Race Six:

:1a: Cheyenne Nation is a Gulch-bred horse who’s now being piloted by Cornelio Velasquez. Rudy Rodriguez is good with first starts after a claim. The is the horse’s third start off a layoff. The horse finished third against tougher on opening day.

Also: :8: ;:5: ;:2:

Race Seven:

:8: Super Sky was scratched out of yesterday’s card as an AE. In the Pulpit-bred filly’s only race, she broke in the air, spotted the field several lengths; yet still came on to finish a game third. A clean, trouble-free trip seems all that is necessary. John Velazquez for Todd Pletcher.

Also: :5: ;:6: ;:2:

Race Eight:

:8: Puzzling was bumped slightly at the start and was caught three-wide in her last. The Ghostzapper-bred mare finished fifth but only a lenghth and one-half off the winner. Sharp recent work. Javier Castellano for “Shug” McGaughey.

Also: :1: ;:4: ;:3:

Race Nine:

:9: Quick Money shortens up a half-furlong; that should help. So too should the outside starting post. Away from the races about 50 days, but a relatively recent, solid morning work. Cornelio Velasquez for Linda Rice.

Also: :6: ;:5: ;:1: