PDA

View Full Version : Durkin Again, SAR Race 10

Ocala Mike
08-21-2013, 06:00 PM
How many times did he call BRANDY'S BIG GUY instead of HEZRO? It's not like they were bunched or anything. I really think he's slipping a lot; maybe getting anxious about the upcoming Travers?

appistappis
08-21-2013, 07:07 PM
I'm a 58 year old craps dealer and sometimes now I make mistakes or do things in the wrong order. You would still rather have me deal to you rather than all the 25 year old hotshots........durkin is the king.

long live the king.

Tape Reader
08-21-2013, 07:43 PM
How many times did he call BRANDY'S BIG GUY instead of HEZRO? It's not like they were bunched or anything. I really think he's slipping a lot; maybe getting anxious about the upcoming Travers?

Please be in front of me when you are calling out your ticket.

Hoofless_Wonder
08-21-2013, 07:53 PM
I've noticed numerous mistakes by both Durkin and Denman this summer at a rate far higher than I recall in earlier years. Wrong names for a horse, calling the wrong horse, calling a horse making a move forward as it's dying, and the worst of all - calling the winning horse for the 1st time 10 yards before the finish line.

I'm certainly not saying I could do better, but they both seem to have slipped a notch this year....

Ocala Mike
08-21-2013, 08:24 PM
Please be in front of me when you are calling out your ticket.

Not sure I understand this. I haven't "called" a ticket in years, because I can punch better than most tellers. Sure, everyone makes mistakes; if I punch the ticket wrong, I only have myself to blame. Anyway, what Hoofless Wonder said.

ManU918
08-22-2013, 08:10 AM
I'm a 58 year old craps dealer and sometimes now I make mistakes or do things in the wrong order. You would still rather have me deal to you rather than all the 25 year old hotshots........durkin is the king.

long live the king.

Your comparison makes no sense. Just because there are better announcers doesn't mean they have to be "25 year old hot shots". Mark Johnson (47) and Larry Collmus (46) are much better then Durkin. Durkin's "throne" is over.

JustRalph
08-22-2013, 11:01 AM
Your comparison makes no sense. Just because there are better announcers doesn't mean they have to be "25 year old hot shots". Mark Johnson (47) and Larry Collmus (46) are much better then Durkin. Durkin's "throne" is over.

Yeah, but he was a king among peasants for a long time.

cj
08-22-2013, 11:14 AM
I actually think Durkin has called really well this meet, and I've certainly said differently in the past.

ManU918
08-22-2013, 11:19 AM
Yeah, but he was a king among peasants for a long time.

Not disagreeing with you. I am disagreeing with appistappis who claims Durkin is the "king". Durkin was the "king". Time catches up to everyone and it's caught up to Durkin. He carried the torch for awhile and now its time to pass it on.

thaskalos
08-22-2013, 11:50 AM
IMO...Durkin is the most overrated track announcer of all time. So overrated is he, in fact, that some of the most esteemed members of this site were calling him the best announcer in this game even as late as last year...which is ridiculous.

So "deaf" do people get when it comes to Durkin's shortcomings as an announcer...that even his "deputy" call was declared a "very good" call by some of the members here.

cj
08-22-2013, 12:39 PM
So "deaf" do people get when it comes to Durkin's shortcomings as an announcer...that even his "deputy" call was declared a "very good" call by some of the members here.

Still one of the funniest things I've heard during a race.

Shemp Howard
08-22-2013, 12:51 PM

Maybe he had an early date at Siro's with that platinum blonde, Trixie?

Fingal
08-22-2013, 01:11 PM
Not disagreeing with you. I am disagreeing with appistappis who claims Durkin is the "king". Durkin was the "king". Time catches up to everyone and it's caught up to Durkin. He carried the torch for awhile and now its time to pass it on.

This could be a reason he gave up the Breeder's Cup citing stress. Make a mistake on your local circuit, & you'll probably meet criticism on message boards like this one. Make one on a national stage and it goes beyond message boards to probably include specialized & mainstream media.

appistappis
08-22-2013, 02:00 PM
I guess it comes down to what you want from an announcer...when I have serious money bet, I know where my horse is, I don't even here the announcer. At other times I like them to be entertaining and nobody entertains me more than Durkin. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

The Hawk
08-22-2013, 09:47 PM
Not that I'm a huge harness fan but I followed it in the 80's and I'd go so far to say that he was the best harness caller I ever heard. Watch some of those old classic races from the 80's at the Meadowlands, he was exceptional, and in my opinion a big reason for the popularity there. But that was a long time ago. I'd just like to see him hang it up before he really starts to embarrass himself and is remembered for that ("DEPUTY!", for example) more than for being great in his prime.

dilanesp
08-22-2013, 10:12 PM
This could be a reason he gave up the Breeder's Cup citing stress. Make a mistake on your local circuit, & you'll probably meet criticism on message boards like this one. Make one on a national stage and it goes beyond message boards to probably include specialized & mainstream media.

Correct. And it was only a year or two after Mine that Bird in the Derby, which was, shall we say, not one of his better efforts.

PoloUK6108
08-22-2013, 10:15 PM
I guess it comes down to what you want from an announcer...when I have serious money bet, I know where my horse is, I don't even here the announcer. At other times I like them to be entertaining and nobody entertains me more than Durkin. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

I like Durkin. For me, good race announcers come down to if I enjoy hearing their voice, and if they make the experience more "colorful."
Any race I bet I know where my horses are, so if the guy makes a mistake every now and then its no big deal to me.

burnsy
08-23-2013, 07:02 AM
I like Durkin. For me, good race announcers come down to if I enjoy hearing their voice, and if they make the experience more "colorful."
Any race I bet I know where my horses are, so if the guy makes a mistake every now and then its no big deal to me.

I agree 100%, I try to track my own horses anyway. He has been doing this job (as good or better than anyone) for a long time and he is not getting any younger, thats life. The younger folks should understand.....that this is a tough job, even for a young person. If you are older you should understand without busting his balls. He calls 9 to 11 races a day, the names are not easy and the horses are going almost 40 mph, most times in a pack. Yes, he does miss some, more now than ever. But the guy is a classic and his voice is tied to so many classic races with great calls. I'm as critical as anyone, but i can't cash tickets on the race caller and anyone that doesn't think hes a "Hall of Fame" caller is nuts.......people with that kind of reputation and stellar career command a certain amount of respect and should be given some slack as they approach their golden years........youngsters.....it ain't easy getting older. "Beer Is.....(head bob)......(wire)......Goooood".....that was my fave this meet.

ManU918
08-23-2013, 08:15 AM
I agree 100%, I try to track my own horses anyway. He has been doing this job (as good or better than anyone) for a long time and he is not getting any younger, thats life. The younger folks should understand.....that this is a tough job, even for a young person. If you are older you should understand without busting his balls. He calls 9 to 11 races a day, the names are not easy and the horses are going almost 40 mph, most times in a pack. Yes, he does miss some, more now than ever. But the guy is a classic and his voice is tied to so many classic races with great calls. I'm as critical as anyone, but i can't cash tickets on the race caller and anyone that doesn't think hes a "Hall of Fame" caller is nuts.......people with that kind of reputation and stellar career command a certain amount of respect and should be given some slack as they approach their golden years........youngsters.....it ain't easy getting older. "Beer Is.....(head bob)......(wire)......Goooood".....that was my fave this meet.

Everyone knows it isn't easy getting older. That being said, he shouldn't be able to keep his job just because once upon a time he was a "great caller" to some people. That's absurd. I also think its laughable that some posters on here think that its just the youngsters who want Durkin out. I have spoken to many people double my age or older who share the same opinion I do.

burnsy
08-23-2013, 08:44 AM
Do you think he'll be around forever? Who is? Would you fire him? He misses more now but hes still one of the best around. This guy still calls a mean race in about 90% percent or more of the cases........Yeah, NYRA should shit can him, thats the classy thing to do, because he is so bad but you are so good but you can't even see your own horse that YOU bet on when he misses one. All i know is when he is finally replaced, those will be some big ass shoes (binoculars) to fill. You think he doesn't know hes on the back end of a great career? He admits it by declining jobs. People really need to grow up and put themselves in others shoes...think about it...then walk a mile.....in those shoes. Do you think its easy? What hes going through? I can tell you from personally experiencing this......its not. A post like that sort of pisses me off, i have alot of respect for elders, if you sat and listened to them, you can learn a great deal...in our society they get tossed away, pretty shameful in my opinion. Have you seen the interviews with Allen Jerkens? He only has about 15 horses now. Should they run him off? People really need to get a life, learn about life and enjoy life as long as they can....when you get old, you will be real pleasant to be around....i'm sure of it........;)

PaceAdvantage
08-23-2013, 09:09 AM
Everyone knows it isn't easy getting older. That being said, he shouldn't be able to keep his job just because once upon a time he was a "great caller" to some people. That's absurd. I also think its laughable that some posters on here think that its just the youngsters who want Durkin out. I have spoken to many people double my age or older who share the same opinion I do.You've spoken to many people who want Durkin out? I don't believe you. I don't believe that "many people" care that much about who is announcing a race to even have an opinion about it...let alone think Durkin is THAT BAD that he deserves to be let go.

I find that unfathomable.

1st time lasix
08-23-2013, 09:45 AM
I have never ever heard anyone...young or old...suggest that they want Durkin out as a race caller. That is not only ridiculous..... but a bold-face obvious lie. :liar: Just when i thought i had heared it all. Easy to take cowardly shots at someone you don't know from a keyboard I guess. The man is gracious, talented and is very much appreciated. Sure he is getting a bit older.....so what! The poster on now on my "ignore list"

The Hawk
08-23-2013, 11:21 AM
But the guy is a classic and his voice is tied to so many classic races with great calls. I'm as critical as anyone, but i can't cash tickets on the race caller and anyone that doesn't think hes a "Hall of Fame" caller is nuts.......people with that kind of reputation and stellar career command a certain amount of respect and should be given some slack as they approach their golden years.

If people are old enough to remember when Dave Johnson was good they also remember that in his later years he lost it so badly he was embarrassingly bad, and that's how younger fans remember him. I don't want that to happen with Durkin. That's all. Yes, we all know he was once great, and we all know he's capable of still calling races, and you can make an argument that he probably was the best racecaller ever. But it just may be the point -- and he's admitted this by turning down jobs -- that he should think about how he wants to go out, on his own terms.

TheEdge07
08-23-2013, 11:28 AM
If people are old enough to remember when Dave Johnson was good they also remember that in his later years he lost it so badly he was embarrassingly bad, and that's how younger fans remember him. I don't want that to happen with Durkin. That's all. Yes, we all know he was once great, and we all know he's capable of still calling races, and you can make an argument that he probably was the best racecaller ever. But it just may be the point -- and he's admitted this by turning down jobs -- that he should think about how he wants to go out, on his own terms.

Leaving on yr own terms almost always turns into a disaster..

jk3521
08-23-2013, 02:40 PM
When I decided to retire it was because I knew that I wasn't able to keep up with my work, I noticed myself slowing down. No one told me , no one had to tell me that it was my time. I'm sure that is what Mr. Durkin is feeling. The man loves his work, that is why he may stay on too long. In my opinion, he has a long ways to go yet.

ManU918
08-23-2013, 07:25 PM
Do you think he'll be around forever? Who is? Would you fire him? He misses more now but hes still one of the best around. This guy still calls a mean race in about 90% percent or more of the cases........Yeah, NYRA should shit can him, thats the classy thing to do, because he is so bad but you are so good but you can't even see your own horse that YOU bet on when he misses one. All i know is when he is finally replaced, those will be some big ass shoes (binoculars) to fill. You think he doesn't know hes on the back end of a great career? He admits it by declining jobs. People really need to grow up and put themselves in others shoes...think about it...then walk a mile.....in those shoes. Do you think its easy? What hes going through? I can tell you from personally experiencing this......its not. A post like that sort of pisses me off, i have alot of respect for elders, if you sat and listened to them, you can learn a great deal...in our society they get tossed away, pretty shameful in my opinion. Have you seen the interviews with Allen Jerkens? He only has about 15 horses now. Should they run him off? People really need to get a life, learn about life and enjoy life as long as they can....when you get old, you will be real pleasant to be around....i'm sure of it........;)

People need to grow up? Going by your response its pretty clear to me that you either know him personally or your immature for an age that I'm unsure of. I don't and never have listened to race callers to help figure out where my horse is. I'm pretty sure everyone can follow the horses they wagered on, on their own. But I do like callers like Mark Johnson who bring excitement to every race and do it with minimal errors. There isn't a race of his that goes by where I say to myself... Man that really sucked.... Durkin on the other hand stutters... calls out wrong horses....takes breaks during races followed by an awkward silence on a weekly basis.

I find it very funny that you think just because I am giving my opinion on a race caller that you think I don't have respect for old folks.

ManU918
08-23-2013, 07:30 PM
You've spoken to many people who want Durkin out? I don't believe you. I don't believe that "many people" care that much about who is announcing a race to even have an opinion about it...let alone think Durkin is THAT BAD that he deserves to be let go.

I find that unfathomable.

Yes.. If you find it unfathomable then you find it unfathomable. Believe what you want. Durkin is announcing what some think is the number 1 race track in the world.... People have opinions when it comes to the Spa...

ManU918
08-23-2013, 07:38 PM
I have never ever heard anyone...young or old...suggest that they want Durkin out as a race caller. That is not only ridiculous..... but a bold-face obvious lie. :liar: Just when i thought i had heared it all. Easy to take cowardly shots at someone you don't know from a keyboard I guess. The man is gracious, talented and is very much appreciated. Sure he is getting a bit older.....so what! The poster on now on my "ignore list"

I'm not taking a cowardly shot, I am simply giving my opinion. Him being gracious has nothing to do with his race calling. He might be the nicest man on earth... That doesn't factor in.

Stillriledup
08-23-2013, 07:45 PM

Cowardly shot? Announcers calls are able to be heard by people at home, they don't have to be 'on the front lines' to hear the calls, not sure what the 'keyboard' comment means.

thaskalos
08-23-2013, 07:53 PM
Is that all it takes for you to put someone on your ignore list?

And what do you imply by "cowardly shot"? That the poster would be afraid to criticize Durkin to his face?

Midnight Cruiser
08-23-2013, 10:51 PM
Have you ever tried to call a race? It is unbelievably hard. My buddy asks for calls once in awhile when he is driving and I've tried my best to call a race over the phone. I will never slam a track announcer...

Stillriledup
08-23-2013, 11:01 PM
Have you ever tried to call a race? It is unbelievably hard. My buddy asks for calls once in awhile when he is driving and I've tried my best to call a race over the phone. I will never slam a track announcer...

If you spent your entire life honing your announcing skills, i'd be willing to bet that you would be at least decent after decades of serious practice. Same with most "walks of life". Being able to do something well is not a prerequisite to be able to be critical of someone.

thaskalos
08-23-2013, 11:04 PM
It must be pretty hard to run a country too...but that doesn't stop us from "slamming" a president.

Stillriledup
08-23-2013, 11:27 PM
It must be pretty hard to run a country too...but that doesn't stop us from "slamming" a president.

Its funny that all people are asking for is a correct call. They're not asking the guy to send a man to mars, just call the race with the correct names of the horses in audible fashion...doesnt seem like its an unreasonable request.

wiffleball whizz
08-24-2013, 02:33 AM
Still one of the funniest things I've heard during a race.

It's was classic....but so was furlong after powerful furlong as first dude was rolling along....have no clue what the was all about...

Here's the race if people never heard this gem....he lost it halfway through the strech...

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRYDjjqq8bA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

thaskalos
08-24-2013, 02:55 AM
It's was classic....but so was furlong after powerful furlong as first dude was rolling along....have no clue what the was all about...

Here's the race if people never heard this gem....he lost it halfway through the strech...

Durkin...as his voice drops to a soulful tone around the 3 minute mark:

"First Dude settles into that powerful stride of his...he is out there stretching those long legs...furlong after powerful furlong..."

Memorable call indeed...

ManU918
08-24-2013, 06:37 AM

I love the 4:36 mark... "First Dude and Game On Dude are head to head for the lead".... as First Dude is a clear length ahead.

TheEdge07
08-24-2013, 04:20 PM
Pretty good call by Durkin in the Test...

lilly and lulu....

Stillriledup
08-24-2013, 04:36 PM
Pretty good call by Durkin in the Test...

lilly and lulu....

Another great call by Durkin, the Test from 11 years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCuJjhBBCSs

Tom
08-24-2013, 05:22 PM
Especially the 3 horse photo part.....if you had a really wide angle camera.

Robert Fischer
08-24-2013, 05:29 PM
He did pretty good in King's Bishop IMO.

That was a hard race to call, sounded like an auction for the first half.

PhantomOnTour
08-24-2013, 05:29 PM
"Tiznow wins it for America !" will always have a special place in my heart, and it's Durkin's best call imo.

TheEdge07
08-24-2013, 05:36 PM
"Tiznow wins it for America !" will always have a special place in my heart, and it's Durkin's best call imo.

A picture is worth a thousand words ..this photo is worth 5 million dollars

When One Dreamer won the distaff he said Gary Stevens committed a heist and we have video(something like that)

TravisVOX
08-24-2013, 06:08 PM
Pages of threads on the inability of announcers, yet it's crickets after Tom Durkin delivers some pretty good race calls at Saratoga today.

Stillriledup
08-24-2013, 06:10 PM
Pages of threads on the inability of announcers, yet it's crickets after Tom Durkin delivers some pretty good race calls at Saratoga today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8E_zMLCRNg

The Hawk
08-24-2013, 10:49 PM

You're right, we should have a parade.

jk3521
08-29-2013, 04:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=_Ov5DRyugzA

You try it!

iceknight
08-29-2013, 04:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=_Ov5DRyugzA

You try it!
At 2:10 in the video he explains the height difference at Toga and how it makes it harder to call accurately... sometimes it is good to consider the context...

at 5:20 , he shows his disappointment about Birdstone's belmont upset :(

The Drosselmeyer belmont case, you can see him trying to keep track of all the closers and so he slips up a little in that moment.
#Horseplayers, never miss a chance to complain about something or the other.. :lol: :lol:
The correct way to evaluate this is to count the errors and then look at them as a function of total error free calls he has made. Then you can see if he is Six Sigma or not, or what the error function is.

Just because he calls "your race" wrong at some juncture, does it mean he has to be out rightaway

ManU918
08-29-2013, 04:45 PM
LOL Race 8 today... "Winekeeper is pulling away!!!!!!!!!!" Seriously?

salty
08-29-2013, 04:47 PM
Ok i finaly see the problem this last race at saratoga r8 today. he is saying Winekeeper is pulling away from the feild as the 7 is smashing through some gears closing in hard. and then an inch from the wire he is like oh wait coal and ice is coming fast and gets there.

yeah that was a bad one.

salty
08-29-2013, 04:49 PM
and gets a simultaneous two posts on this thread before the pays are even announced.

truely bad

Zydeco
08-29-2013, 05:13 PM
Hey, he did give a shout to Mike Battaglia by saying "Friends Pro on the outside, gaining ground!"

Ocala Mike
08-29-2013, 06:24 PM
Like many horseplayers I know, Durkin is having a tough Saratoga meet. When does Belmont start?

Stillriledup
08-29-2013, 06:28 PM
Like many horseplayers I know, Durkin is having a tough Saratoga meet. When does Belmont start?

After watching that last race winner at the Spa today, it can't come soon enough.

Ocala Mike
08-29-2013, 06:54 PM
Seriously - I had the :3: :4: exacta box. Ironically, I played that trainer a couple of times earlier this week, and came to the false conclusion that he couldn't possibly win a race up at the Spa with his stock.

Stillriledup
08-29-2013, 06:56 PM
Seriously - I had the :3: :4: exacta box. Ironically, I played that trainer a couple of times earlier this week, and came to the false conclusion that he couldn't possibly win a race up at the Spa with his stock.

the horse was sopping wet and looked terrible on paper....lots to like!

dilanesp
08-29-2013, 09:09 PM
at 5:20 , he shows his disappointment about Birdstone's belmont upset :(

It's an aside, but I really, really hated that call. To me it is one of Durkin's lowest moments. I don't think it's the job of the track announcer to whine about the result of a horse race. MAYBE a network announcer can do it, although even then I think the better approach is to avoid that sort of thing. Baseball announcers don't cry over the air when a no hitter is broken up.

But it's especially bad for an on-track announcer. There were lots of people at the track that day who were rooting against Smarty Jones. Not only that, but Birdstone's victory was a triumph for an old woman who has given much of her life to thoroughbred racing, and who was booed in the winner's circle during the trophy presentation by classless New York fans. (I liked that the horse won the Travers that year, as it gave New York fans a chance to atone and cheer the horse, which they did.)

It really, really isn't the job of the track announcer to root for any particular result. He or she has just as much as an obligation to the people who bet Birdstone as to those who bet Smarty Jones or any other horse in the race. Durkin was way out of line.

wiffleball whizz
08-29-2013, 11:20 PM
Speaking of bad announcers why does the owner of this site threaten me with permaban if I say the Charlestown announcer is bad :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tom durkin is the master

wiffleball whizz
08-29-2013, 11:24 PM
It's an aside, but I really, really hated that call. To me it is one of Durkin's lowest moments. I don't think it's the job of the track announcer to whine about the result of a horse race. MAYBE a network announcer can do it, although even then I think the better approach is to avoid that sort of thing. Baseball announcers don't cry over the air when a no hitter is broken up.

But it's especially bad for an on-track announcer. There were lots of people at the track that day who were rooting against Smarty Jones. Not only that, but Birdstone's victory was a triumph for an old woman who has given much of her life to thoroughbred racing, and who was booed in the winner's circle during the trophy presentation by classless New York fans. (I liked that the horse won the Travers that year, as it gave New York fans a chance to atone and cheer the horse, which they did.)

It really, really isn't the job of the track announcer to root for any particular result. He or she has just as much as an obligation to the people who bet Birdstone as to those who bet Smarty Jones or any other horse in the race. Durkin was way out of line.

Durkin knew his call would have been right up there with secretariats if he won....I don't think he was upset the whole crowd had that tone.....looking back I think real racing fans wernt as upset when this horse turned out to be very good.....imaging if one day he he sired a triple crown winner that would be ironic

nearco
08-29-2013, 11:31 PM

Have you ever tried to ride a horse? Let alone perched on top of 1200lbs of raging thoroughbred going 40mph? It ain't easy let me tell you, I've done it. But that doesn't stop most posters on here from slamming jocks for bad rides.
If you can slam a jock for a bad ride(s) you can certainly slam an announcer for a bad call(s).

appistappis
08-29-2013, 11:51 PM
You americans seem to love hero's, real or imagined. Smarty Jones was going to be the next one, the whole nation cheering him on. Birdstone stole that moment and Durkin expressed it perfectly. I don't believe he was expressing his personal opinion in his call but rather that of your whole country.

wiffleball whizz
08-29-2013, 11:54 PM
Have you ever tried to ride a horse? Let alone perched on top of 1200lbs of raging thoroughbred going 40mph? It ain't easy let me tell you, I've done it. But that doesn't stop most posters on here from slamming jocks for bad rides.
If you can slam a jock for a bad ride(s) you can certainly slam an announcer for a bad call(s).

That's a valid statement

JustRalph
08-30-2013, 12:00 AM
Have you ever tried to ride a horse? Let alone perched on top of 1200lbs of raging thoroughbred going 40mph? .

On purpose? No. By accident, once.

Stillriledup
08-30-2013, 12:45 AM
That's a valid statement

Most people are mostly only good at their "specialty" or their occupation. Most people don't have time to study or practice other areas of expertise...so, you know, to use the "have you ever ridden a horse" or have you ever tried to "call a race" really doesnt apply..people are allowed to be critical of anyone they want and they don't have to be able to 'do' that particular job to critique it.

Who *COULD* make more money betting football...an ex football player, or a professional football bettor who never played 1 down of football in his life? While that ex player "played the game" would you trust your life savings with him and bet on HIS picks ?

Im thinking you would rather have info from the guy who 'never played" who bets the sport professionally.

dilanesp
08-30-2013, 01:08 PM
Durkin knew his call would have been right up there with secretariats if he won

One thing Vin Scully, the great Dodger and network baseball announcer who has had some amazing calls in his life, likes to say is that it's actually counterproductive to try to work up exactly what you are going to say in a big moment and to try too hard to make a historic call.

Now of course baseball announcers have more time to think of something than race callers do, but I think Durkin (and some others) should follow Scully's advice.

I am not the biggest fan of Chic Anderson's orgasm in the 1973 Belmont, but if you like that sort of thing, note that it WAS spontaneous. He called 2 more triple crown wins and neither call sounded anything like the call of Secretariat.

iceknight
08-30-2013, 02:13 PM
It's an aside, but I really, really hated that call. To me it is one of Durkin's lowest moments. Considering I started following racing really only in 2011, I have watched most of these calls knowing the result ahead of time.
So, I am fairly indifferent to what transpired in the race as well as Durkin's call. But, he is human and I think I can cut some slack for him to expect a triple crown winner after so many years, a colt who was almost behaving like the 'Slew' in the run up to Belmont.. (undefeated etc..)

Tom
09-02-2013, 04:55 PM
Call of the Hopeful today......drama queen-level horrendous call.
It's only a horse race, Tom, not an orgasm.

Stillriledup
09-09-2013, 04:10 AM
Durkin doesnt watch nhl hockey.

TheEdge07
09-09-2013, 01:12 PM
I rather hear Durkin past his prime then his backup John Imbriale.

johnhannibalsmith
09-09-2013, 01:17 PM

Fighting words.

jk3521
09-09-2013, 02:37 PM
Imbriale is the pits! :ThmbDown:

BlueShoe
09-09-2013, 03:29 PM
In total disagreement. Have always liked Johnny I. and wish that Durkin would take more time off and let Imbriale step into the booth.

jk3521
09-09-2013, 08:27 PM
[QUOTE Have always liked Johnny I. and wish that Durkin would take more time off and let Imbriale step into the booth.[/QUOTE]
Imbriale gives the horses' name and position in the race as the race progresses, nothing more. You could program a computer to do that!

thaskalos
09-09-2013, 08:34 PM
Imbriale gives the horses' name and position in the race as the race progresses, nothing more.

What else do we need?

dilanesp
09-09-2013, 08:37 PM
Imbriale gives the horses' name and position in the race as the race progresses, nothing more. You could program a computer to do that!

Bear in mind that this is the central job of a racecaller.

Indeed, a lot of what people like about people like Durkin and Denman have to do with viewing a tape of the race later and enjoying a call that dramatizes the action.

But that's not really what you want when you have bet a race. You want to know where the horses you bet on, and the other horses, are. You want to know whether that horse in 2nd place is part of your superfecta. Some people at racetracks haven't made it back to their seat and want to know what the running order is.

I'm not condemning the style of racecallers who editorialize and dramatize by saying this. But it isn't the central job. If the racecaller accurately tells the people at the track, at simulcast outlets, and at home watching on computers or TVG/HRTV who the horses are and where they are running, the racecaller is doing his or her job, whether you find the call exciting or interesting or not.

thaskalos
09-09-2013, 08:49 PM
Give me a racecaller who delivers the horses' names and their position accurately in a clear and steady cadence...and I'll never complain.

The racecaller is not there to provide the drama and the excitement. That's the horses' job.

Some of these racecallers need to be reminded that they are not the "real" stars in this game...

Stillriledup
09-09-2013, 09:07 PM
Give me a racecaller who delivers the horses' names and their position accurately in a clear and steady cadence...and I'll never complain.

The racecaller is not there to provide the drama and the excitement. That's the horses' job.

Some of these racecallers need to be reminded that they are not the "real" stars in this game...

I call this my "takin a 2" theory.

If you are at the track, and in the restroom, and can't make it out to see the race, but you can hear the call, you dont want to be "tricked" that someone is "making a big run" who isnt really making a big run. You want the call, not the "prediction" that sometimes doesnt come true. I won't mention any names, but there are a few announcers who made determinations on the far turn that a certain horse "might be heard from late".

But, you know, that's not what we, the fans, are paying the announcers to do. We don't need them to be in the "prediction" business.

iceknight
09-09-2013, 10:58 PM
Durkin just extra scrutiny.. statistically how does he compare to his peers..on mistakes per 1000 mins of races called?

craigbraddick
09-09-2013, 11:00 PM
SRU:

The days of just announcing the running order and little else are long gone.

If a horse is making a move around the far turn, I see nothing wrong with mentioning it. Similarly, if a usual front runner is languishing behind it is worth a mention or a horse who is a late closer who has been sent out for the lead.

A race call really is a story. The start is the beginning, the initial incidents set the plot for the middle of the race and the climax and resolutuon is at the end.

Every race call (I think, ymmv) should have that sort of framework to it. As well as giving a verbal description of the moves being made as they unfold.

If you want "abacus" race calling: "First is AAA, Second is BBB, Third is CCC, Fourth is DDD, Fifth is EEE..." you will need some kind of time machine!

Craig.

ronsmac
09-09-2013, 11:43 PM

If you are at the track, and in the restroom, and can't make it out to see the race, but you can hear the call, you dont want to be "tricked" that someone is "making a big run" who isnt really making a big run. You want the call, not the "prediction" that sometimes doesnt come true. I won't mention any names, but there are a few announcers who made determinations on the far turn that a certain horse "might be heard from late".

But, you know, that's not what we, the fans, are paying the announcers to do. We don't need them to be in the "prediction" business.Who goes to the bathroom when they have money on a race that is running?

iceknight
09-09-2013, 11:45 PM
Who goes to the bathroom when they have money on a race that is running? haha :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: good call

johnhannibalsmith
09-09-2013, 11:55 PM

But, you know, that's not what we, the fans, are paying the announcers to do. We don't need them to be in the "prediction" business.

??????

So if a horse is making a big run, or it appears that way, the announcer shouldn't mention it, because you don't want to be disappointed if the "big run" isn't sustained while you're taking a crap? Or you just don't want to hear the actual words that imply that while making this run that they eventually may factor in the outcome? You don't like the mere mention of any horse making a move or the fact that it is punctuated with the tease that the horse may actually do something? Just call the horses in order from start to finish... or better yet... just look at the numbers on the screen and get rid of announcers altogether? I don't really understand your complaint here other than you have a continence problem at the races. Relax before making a bet and you'll survive until the official sign. :D

iceknight
09-09-2013, 11:58 PM
??????
..... you don't want to be disappointed if the "big run" isn't sustained while you're taking a crap? ...

. Relax before making a bet and you'll survive until the official sign. :D haha took 3 pages before this thread went to crap :lol:

JustRalph
09-10-2013, 12:50 AM
Who goes to the bathroom when they have money on a race that is running?

ron, how old are you? several times I have listened to the call........from down the hall.............. :lol:

iceknight
09-10-2013, 01:29 AM
ron, how old are you? several times I have listened to the call........from down the hall.............. :lol: You are not paying attention to those commercials targeted at these topics :lol: :lol:

Stillriledup
09-10-2013, 04:30 AM

Joe Theismann? :D

jk3521
09-10-2013, 07:51 AM
If we want only to know the horses' position as they go around the track, just look at the bottom of the monitor screen, maybe that is what Imbriale is repeating. :sleeping:

BlueShoe
09-10-2013, 12:33 PM
Not me. :ThmbUp: :) These things have to be carefully planned. At my usual seat at my usual Otb site am only 10 yards from the men's room. A quick check of the monitor for the post times of upcoming races does it. Since most races are passed, no problems. Should a sudden problem arise, a la Joe Thiesmann, have found that if I take off with 2 minutes to post time showing on a wagered on race, can be there in a few strides, drain the dragon, wash and dry the paws, and be out the door headed back to my seat as they break from the gate. It helps that I still move very quickly for an old guy, and like I said, even calls of nature can be anticipated with a little advance planning. :D

jk3521
09-10-2013, 01:07 PM
Not me. :ThmbUp: :) These things have to be carefully planned. At my usual seat at my usual Otb site am only 10 yards from the men's room. A quick check of the monitor for the post times of upcoming races does it. Since most races are passed, no problems. Should a sudden problem arise, a la Joe Thiesmann, have found that if I take off with 2 minutes to post time showing on a wagered on race, can be there in a few strides, drain the dragon, wash and dry the paws, and be out the door headed back to my seat as they break from the gate. It helps that I still move very quickly for an old guy, and like I said, even calls of nature can be anticipated with a little advance planning. :D
Sometimes after seeing the lack of cleanliness at the OTB rest rooms, I say "oh well, I guess I'll wait 'til I get home" or take a walk to the Dunkin' Donuts down the street and use theirs"

Ocala Mike
09-10-2013, 03:10 PM
Talk about thread creep! We started with a critique of the NYRA announcer, and now we're discussing potty habits.

Or, put another way, we've gone from DURKIN to DUNKIN' (Donuts)!

:D

dilanesp
09-10-2013, 03:54 PM
??????

So if a horse is making a big run, or it appears that way, the announcer shouldn't mention it, because you don't want to be disappointed if the "big run" isn't sustained while you're taking a crap? Or you just don't want to hear the actual words that imply that while making this run that they eventually may factor in the outcome? You don't like the mere mention of any horse making a move or the fact that it is punctuated with the tease that the horse may actually do something? Just call the horses in order from start to finish... or better yet... just look at the numbers on the screen and get rid of announcers altogether? I don't really understand your complaint here other than you have a continence problem at the races. Relax before making a bet and you'll survive until the official sign. :D

I don't mind most of the editorial innovations in racecalling in the last 30 years or so. However, it still isn't the primary JOB of the racecaller. The primary job is to tell the folks at the track or watching screens at simulcast outlets the position of the horses. That's why they have all those speakers at racetracks.

And there's still a lot of people who need that service. Every time I go to Santa Anita I see people sitting out in the paddock area lounging about after placing their bets. Those people have no video of the races at all-- they just have Trevor Denman's call. That's why we have track announcers.

Here's a comparison. In professional sports venues there is now a tendency for PA announcers to scream and yell and cheerlead. Whatever you think of that style, it isn't the primary JOB of the PA announcer. The primary job is to tell you who scored the basket, who the foul was on, who the new pitcher is, who scored the goal and got the assist, or who carried the ball and for how many yards. All the rest is bells and whistles.

If an announcer does it the old way and calls the positions of the horses accurately, he or she is fulfilling the job description. If the announcer wants to do more, that's fine too. But it isn't required. Indeed, horse racing was actually much more popular back in the days when announcers didn't do it.

Relwob Owner
09-10-2013, 07:50 PM
I think it all depends on what people look for and want in track announcers. Me, I view them in the same way as I view play by play announcers in other sports. As a result, when something significant happens, I have no problem with them getting excited or caught up in the moment when something exciting or special is happening during a race.

JustRalph
09-10-2013, 08:02 PM
I watched "The Sting" last week. My favorite announcer is now Ray Walston :ThmbUp:

wisconsin
09-10-2013, 08:03 PM
Joe Theismann? :D

He won't make it if he takes the Acorn stair lift. Just don't fall.

JustRalph
09-10-2013, 08:09 PM
I love the guy pulling the porta-John behind a Ford Escort in the Theisman commercial

johnhannibalsmith
09-10-2013, 08:40 PM
I love the guy pulling the porta-John behind a Ford Escort in the Theisman commercial

Best idea I ever got from a commercial.

johnhannibalsmith
09-10-2013, 08:51 PM
I don't mind most of the editorial innovations in racecalling in the last 30 years or so. However, it still isn't the primary JOB of the racecaller...

If an announcer does it the old way and calls the positions of the horses accurately, he or she is fulfilling the job description. If the announcer wants to do more, that's fine too. But it isn't required. Indeed, horse racing was actually much more popular back in the days when announcers didn't do it.

Well, obviously my confusion was directed at the master of creating confusion in me (for the sake of message board entertainment). If I wasn't clear, it was the degree to which he was so deeply offended by "predictions" that caused me some pause. Well, that and the fact that he'd probably be okay with it were it not for the fact that his bowels force him to rely on the call as a primary source of information.

I think some announcers are horrible, but for the most part - if it works, it works, regardless of style or habit.

I've always said that since Durkin has meandered on well past his peak, my three favorites may very well be Imbriale, Stauffer, and "Killer Krossover" Calo.

You can't get a whole lot more varied there - from the formulaic, calls-em-as-it-is Imbriale to the speculative "Jimbob's Trailerlab is sixth, nine behind, with a half-mile to go, but by the time they hit the quarter-pole, he could be two in front" Stauffer (plagiarized partially from Mirahmadi), or the outlandish buffoonery of "WHO WANTS IT MOOOOOOOOORRRRREEE!!!!!!" Calo (who admittedly took a long time to wear me into submission and finally enjoy the shtick).

I just don't get all the deep analysis. Some guys just lose it, some never had it, and some, well... yeah, in honor of the departed Mack, it's that time...

Okq5Vvnv1VQ

dilanesp
09-10-2013, 09:15 PM
I think it all depends on what people look for and want in track announcers. Me, I view them in the same way as I view play by play announcers in other sports. As a result, when something significant happens, I have no problem with them getting excited or caught up in the moment when something exciting or special is happening during a race.

The thing is, play by play is different from public address.

Relwob Owner
09-10-2013, 10:57 PM
The thing is, play by play is different from public address.

As I said in my initial post, it all depends on what you look for in announcers. I dont look to them for public address. I look for play by play and as a result, what I expect and like is probably different than you, who seem to look at them for public address based on your responses.

v j stauffer
09-11-2013, 12:21 AM
Well, obviously my confusion was directed at the master of creating confusion in me (for the sake of message board entertainment). If I wasn't clear, it was the degree to which he was so deeply offended by "predictions" that caused me some pause. Well, that and the fact that he'd probably be okay with it were it not for the fact that his bowels force him to rely on the call as a primary source of information.

I think some announcers are horrible, but for the most part - if it works, it works, regardless of style or habit.

I've always said that since Durkin has meandered on well past his peak, my three favorites may very well be Imbriale, Stauffer, and "Killer Krossover" Calo.

You can't get a whole lot more varied there - from the formulaic, calls-em-as-it-is Imbriale to the speculative "Jimbob's Trailerlab is sixth, nine behind, with a half-mile to go, but by the time they hit the quarter-pole, he could be two in front" Stauffer (plagiarized partially from Mirahmadi), or the outlandish buffoonery of "WHO WANTS IT MOOOOOOOOORRRRREEE!!!!!!" Calo (who admittedly took a long time to wear me into submission and finally enjoy the shtick).

I just don't get all the deep analysis. Some guys just lose it, some never had it, and some, well... yeah, in honor of the departed Mack, it's that time...

Okq5Vvnv1VQ

Hey wait just a Clock Tick. Get your facts straight. I've plagiarized from many more than just Frank!

johnhannibalsmith
09-11-2013, 12:46 AM
Hey wait just a Clock Tick. Get your facts straight. I've plagiarized from many more than just Frank!

No, no... I was doing the plagiarizing from Frank... his memorable Hasta La Vista call with your likeness included among the many...

svuNMW3vsLU

Ocala Mike
09-11-2013, 11:51 AM
My problem is that I compare every track announcer to the gold standard caller of my youth, Fred Capposella. This was his next-to-last Belmont call, I believe (we had Needles 'N Pens):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbK4wmdlPyk

dilanesp
09-11-2013, 04:05 PM
In Vic's defense, Miramahdi was exaggerating for effect (which was the point of his call). Vic will say something like "you better keep an eye on Glue Pot, he's moved from last to third already!". Miramahdi turned it into something that sounded ridiculous ("when they get to the quarter pole, he could be 2 in front!").

One thing I have found is that none of these guys are fooled by false moves that often. If Trevor, or Vic, or Tom, or even Mike Battaglia identifies a horse on the turn as making a big move, that horse is usually the one to watch. Occasionally the horse lets them down (Denman thought Curlin was making a huge move in the BC Classic at Santa Anita, and he flattened out in the stretch) but most of the time, these guys are right.

johnhannibalsmith
09-11-2013, 04:09 PM
In Vic's defense, Miramahdi was exaggerating for effect (which was the point of his call). ...

I think that is pretty apparent.

The Hawk
09-11-2013, 10:31 PM
One thing I have found is that none of these guys are fooled by false moves that often. If Trevor, or Vic, or Tom, or even Mike Battaglia identifies a horse on the turn as making a big move, that horse is usually the one to watch. Occasionally the horse lets them down (Denman thought Curlin was making a huge move in the BC Classic at Santa Anita, and he flattened out in the stretch) but most of the time, these guys are right.

Like Durkin's contrived call in the Belmont, screaming about Orb's "move"?

thaskalos
09-11-2013, 11:04 PM
SRU:

The days of just announcing the running order and little else are long gone.

If a horse is making a move around the far turn, I see nothing wrong with mentioning it. Similarly, if a usual front runner is languishing behind it is worth a mention or a horse who is a late closer who has been sent out for the lead.

A race call really is a story. The start is the beginning, the initial incidents set the plot for the middle of the race and the climax and resolutuon is at the end.

Every race call (I think, ymmv) should have that sort of framework to it. As well as giving a verbal description of the moves being made as they unfold.

If you want "abacus" race calling: "First is AAA, Second is BBB, Third is CCC, Fourth is DDD, Fifth is EEE..." you will need some kind of time machine!

Craig.

You are absolutely right Craig. Who would settle for an "abacus" race call like "First is AAA, Second is BBB, Third is CCC", etc...when we can have "storytelling" calls like this instead. And I'm not talking about the stretch call debacle, mind you; I'm talking about the scenario which unfolds at around the 1:15 mark...where, "First Dude settles into that powerful stride of his...he is out there stretching those powerful legs...furlong after powerful furlong..."

And please note the soft, melodramatic tone of voice...which lends so much color to an otherwise boring scene. :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXK04tMueR4

Is this the sort of storytelling that you are talking about?

wiffleball whizz
09-11-2013, 11:41 PM
Furlong after powerful furlong and deputy will make u laugh every time......pure panic and I gotta think the powerful furlong had to be a stall he lost it in that race

dilanesp
09-12-2013, 04:21 PM
You are absolutely right Craig. Who would settle for an "abacus" race call like "First is AAA, Second is BBB, Third is CCC", etc...when we can have "storytelling" calls like this instead. And I'm not talking about the stretch call debacle, mind you; I'm talking about the scenario which unfolds at around the 1:15 mark...where, "First Dude settles into that powerful stride of his...he is out there stretching those powerful legs...furlong after powerful furlong..."

And please note the soft, melodramatic tone of voice...which lends so much color to an otherwise boring scene. :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXK04tMueR4

Is this the sort of storytelling that you are talking about?

That's obviously a terrible call. But it isn't though the old style callers never lost it at the end of a race.

For instance, Chic Anderson had a couple of doozies. The most famous one was the 1975 Kentucky Derby, won by Foolish Pleasure (also known as "Prince Thou Aren't"):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcWZutSuW2A

There was a locally famous one here in California involving Anderson as well. In the 1976 San Juan Capistrano, a grey Elliott Burch shipper named One on the Aisle was last for about 1 9/16th miles, and made a huge, sudden move in the stretch, passed everyone, and won. Anderson basically started mumbling at the 1/16th pole when he finally saw the horse, and figured out what was happening just as the horse's nose hit the wire first. It was a terrible call and Anderson got crap for it.

The point is, I don't think Durkin's mistakes in 2010 had to do with his storytelling style. That sort of thing can happen to any announcer.

wiffleball whizz
09-12-2013, 04:23 PM
Did anybody hear the durks call here in the 7th? On the wire he said the :1: "may have got there".....a neck call and he's not sure

thaskalos
09-12-2013, 04:45 PM
When I spoke against the "storytelling" aspect of race calling...I wasn't talking about what occurred down the stretch. As you say, other race callers have lost it too down the stretch...although maybe not to the extent that Durkin lost it in the 2010 Belmont.

What I was talking about is what happened around the 1:15 mark of the video, when Durkin -- in a melodramatic tone of voice -- tells us that "First Dude settles into that powerful stride of his...he is stretching those long legs...furlong after powerful furlong...".

THAT'S the part of the race call that I can't understand...where the announcer feels the need to add silliness like that, in a race of this kind of significance.

That's obviously a terrible call. But it isn't though the old style callers never lost it at the end of a race.
For instance, Chic Anderson had a couple of doozies. The most famous one was the 1975 Kentucky Derby, won by Foolish Pleasure (also known as "Prince Thou Aren't"):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcWZutSuW2A

There was a locally famous one here in California involving Anderson as well. In the 1976 San Juan Capistrano, a grey Elliott Burch shipper named One on the Aisle was last for about 1 9/16th miles, and made a huge, sudden move in the stretch, passed everyone, and won. Anderson basically started mumbling at the 1/16th pole when he finally saw the horse, and figured out what was happening just as the horse's nose hit the wire first. It was a terrible call and Anderson got crap for it.

The point is, I don't think Durkin's mistakes in 2010 had to do with his storytelling style. That sort of thing can happen to any announcer.

PaceAdvantage
09-12-2013, 06:03 PM
I think you're being overly critical when it comes to the First Dude comments.

thaskalos
09-12-2013, 06:15 PM
I think you're being overly critical when it comes to the First Dude comments.
When a race caller tells us that a pace-setter is "stretching those long legs of his"...I consider that to be a silly comment...and I don't mind saying so...

And "furlong after powerful furlong" should only apply when the pace is beyond "reasonable"...

If a race caller chooses to tell a "story"...then he should tell it in a competent manner...

BlueShoe
09-12-2013, 07:21 PM
I watched "The Sting" last week. My favorite announcer is now Ray Walston :ThmbUp:
Are you sure about that? J.J. made a big blunder, he got either the prices or the odds messed up. He called the odds on one winner as going off at 2-1 and then announcing that it paid $8? Or was it the other way around, going off at 3-1 and paying 6 dollars? One of my all time favorite films, have not seen it for a couple of years, but the goof was made, and many sharp horseplayers caught it.

JustRalph
09-12-2013, 07:24 PM
Are you sure about that? J.J. made a big blunder, he got either the prices or the odds messed up. He called the odds on one winner as going off at 2-1 and then announcing that it paid $8? Or was it the other way around, going off at 3-1 and paying 6 dollars? One of my all time favorite films, have not seen it for a couple of years, but the goof was made, and many sharp horseplayers caught it.

Yeah, but I still loved it!

Stillriledup
09-12-2013, 07:26 PM
When a race caller tells us that a pace-setter is "stretching those long legs of his"...I consider that to be a silly comment...and I don't mind saying so...

And "furlong after powerful furlong" should only apply when the pace is beyond "reasonable"...

If a race caller chooses to tell a "story"...then he should tell it in a competent manner...

The one thing that Durkin seems to spend too much time on is the reading of the fractions. Most people can see the fractions on the board, so, its not like they need him to verbalize them and secondly, so many times the fractions mean nothing. What does 24 and 49 mean on the turf at Belmont? Does it mean that a certain running style is at an advantage? Those turf course are heavily biased, sometimes speed can't lose and other times it can't win, the turf there is all different "conditions" so you don't really know what the fractions mean until you sit down after the fact and actually crunch numbers and watch some replays......to say so and so "got a half in 49" means bupkis.

dilanesp
09-12-2013, 07:46 PM
The one thing that Durkin seems to spend too much time on is the reading of the fractions. Most people can see the fractions on the board, so, its not like they need him to verbalize them and secondly, so many times the fractions mean nothing. What does 24 and 49 mean on the turf at Belmont? Does it mean that a certain running style is at an advantage? Those turf course are heavily biased, sometimes speed can't lose and other times it can't win, the turf there is all different "conditions" so you don't really know what the fractions mean until you sit down after the fact and actually crunch numbers and watch some replays......to say so and so "got a half in 49" means bupkis.

In turf routes, I agree with you, fractions are close to meaningless.

But other races, they can mean a lot. Plenty of people in California cashed tickets betting against Groovy in two Breeders' Cup races because of fractions that Marshall Cassidy had dutifully read off in his calls of Groovy's New York races. :)

wiffleball whizz
09-12-2013, 07:49 PM
Yeah, but I still loved it!

Narraganset park!!!!!!!!!

The tape reader was epic

dilanesp
09-12-2013, 09:00 PM
Narraganset park!!!!!!!!!

The tape reader was epic

I'm still pissed I didn't bet to place at Lincoln Fields.

Stillriledup
09-19-2013, 09:39 PM
Race 6 on Sept 18th, he called the winner 2 different horses before determining it was Desert Bliss. He called her Nonnie Connie in midstretch, Agilion with 70 yards to go and finally, when she flashed under the wire, he realized it was Desert Bliss.

Incredible.

Broken clock is right twice a day.

TheEdge07
09-19-2013, 09:45 PM
Race 6 on Sept 18th, he called the winner 2 different horses before determining it was Desert Bliss. He called her Nonnie Connie in midstretch, Agilion with 70 yards to go and finally, when she flashed under the wire, he realized it was Desert Bliss.

Incredible.

Broken clock is right twice a day.

I had.the triple box.with every wrong he called..amazing..

cj
10-26-2013, 05:12 PM
He butchered the finish of the 9th today.

wiffleball whizz
10-26-2013, 05:25 PM
He butchered the finish of the 9th today.

His was cheaper then mine :mad:

jk3521
10-26-2013, 09:03 PM
Believe me , I am a great fan of Tom Durkin , but he has not been up to par this past few months. Maybe because I admire him so much , I'm sad to say it. But don't make fun of the man. He was the best of his time. In a couple of years when he retires you guys can gripe about the new guy and I'm sure you'll say "He's no Tom Durkin !"

Stillriledup
11-22-2013, 03:42 PM
Tom's going to have fun with the 8th (Nov 22), 5 of the 7 runners are one WORD names beginning with the letter S.

Jasonm921
11-28-2013, 05:20 AM

Did you ever see First Dude up close? The horse was huge.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13597794@N05/4650220728/in/photolist-85VABs-85SxF6-8oFEJk

FantasticDan
12-06-2013, 11:53 AM
John Imbriale takes over today for the next four months. :ThmbUp:

I like Durkin just fine, but to me Imbriale is the voice of NYRA winter racing.. ;)

Tom
12-06-2013, 12:35 PM
Johnny I is my favorite year round. :ThmbUp::ThmbUp::ThmbUp:

cj
12-07-2013, 01:53 PM
I like Imbriale, but he was brutal in the 4th today, particularly in the stretch.

Stillriledup
12-07-2013, 02:20 PM
I like Imbriale, but he was brutal in the 4th today, particularly in the stretch.

With all the mud, he couldnt see the saddle pad....it was a good call, he hesitated because he didnt want to call the wrong horse.

cj
12-07-2013, 05:13 PM
With all the mud, he couldnt see the saddle pad....it was a good call, he hesitated because he didnt want to call the wrong horse.

I know why, but it was still painful to listen to the call. Nothing but one horse and hesitation the last furlong. It is a tough job.

Stillriledup
12-07-2013, 05:23 PM
I know why, but it was still painful to listen to the call. Nothing but one horse and hesitation the last furlong. It is a tough job.

I like Johnny I and his calls, i'm going to give him the benefit here, i think he just lost the flow of the call and was really concerned to not call the wrong horse the winner, he had to make sure on that...i think if you have to ignore the rest of the race until you identify the horse who was pulling away, that takes precedent.

wiffleball whizz
02-08-2014, 12:27 AM
Say what you will about the durk but him and his partners got it all the meadowlands tonight!!!!!!

Had no clue he owned harness horses

Stillriledup
02-08-2014, 05:14 AM
Say what you will about the durk but him and his partners got it all the meadowlands tonight!!!!!!

Had no clue he owned harness horses

Not only does he own them, he used to CALL them!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjvWEsWM8fM