PDA

View Full Version : DOSKEY in XP?

ranchwest
03-05-2004, 12:01 AM
Does anyone know how to invoke DOSKEY under Windows XP?

Dave Schwartz
03-05-2004, 12:28 AM
Just type DOSKEY at the prompt to invoke it.

Then you can upcursor to see what you have typed previously.

Dave

ranchwest
03-05-2004, 09:23 AM
No, I'm familiar with DOSKEY on prior versions of Windows. I tried just typing it at the DOS prompt. It isn't working. It runs, but then the features don't work, no effect from up arrow, etc.

I'm using C:\WINDOWS\system32\command.com. Is that the DOS command to use?

Larry Hamilton
03-05-2004, 10:29 AM
This code, which is used to open the downloads in windows. I use to run in my Access db's, PA helped me with it years ago:

cmdLine = "command.com /c " & SingleFileName & " " & ControlFile & " " & SourceFile & " " & TargetFile

I have used this code on everything from 95 to xp--works without a problem.

Dave Schwartz
03-05-2004, 11:00 AM
I guess I have the wrong utility. I thought DOSKEY just recalled your last commands.

What else does it do? (The last commands show on my machine.)

Dave Schwartz

ranchwest
03-05-2004, 11:54 AM
Larry, the "/c" seems to close the DOS window on completion. It appears that what you are doing is to run a DOS box from an Access program, right? I'm trying to keep the DOS box open from an icon on my desktop. I can get everything to behave normally, but I can't get DOSKEY to work.

Dave, yes, I'm referring to the same old DOSKEY. I'm spoiled. I love that F8 feature, very quick. Under XP, I can't seem to get DOSKEY to actually work. It runs with no error message, but then the features of DOSKEY are not available.

I want my... I want my... I want my DOSKEY (sung to the tune of I want my MTV).

Larry Hamilton
03-05-2004, 11:59 AM
There is a whole discussion group on DOSKEY and XP at:

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/n1047790129

and yes, that is exactly what I am doing

ranchwest
03-05-2004, 12:02 PM
OK, I finally figured it out.

You have to run CMD.EXE instead of COMMAND.COM. Then DOSKEY will work. I thought it was something along those lines.