Monmouth - 1,7,9,10,11
Gulfstream - 7,9
Woodbine - 2,4,6,7,8
Calder - 1,4
Arlington - 3,5,6,8
Del Mar - 1,3,4,5,6,8,9,10
Saratoga - 4,6,7,8,9,11
Parx - 9

What a day for Kitten's Joy! Four winners between Saratoga and Arlington including the Sword Dancer and the Million. I was fortunate enough to get home one minute before the Sword Dancer post to see our top Key Horse Big Blue Kitten take the Grade I with style and his really nice closing kick.

For Sunday, we have a few more from our Key Horse list that are running at Saratoga and Monmouth:

Ave's Halo - SAR ( 7) BEL 05/28/12 # 5
Silsita - SAR ( 8) GP 02/02/13 # 1
Margano - MP (10) TAM 12/08/12 # 10

Ave's Halo has not impressed at all since her maiden win so why does she get listed here? While this NY bred has been unable to win an allowance race, she is still being protected. And Rosario still rides. And Linda Rice still trains. And the filly still runs in sprints. And NY bred races beg for a price. And one of these days...

Silsita was scratched on 8/10 out of the Auntie Mame Stakes but now finds herself 6-1 on the ML and entered into the Lake Placid Stakes, a Grade II affair on the inner turf for 3 year olds. Running for Pletcher with Johnny V. in the irons, this daughter of Macho Uno has rebounded from a dreadful Kentucky Oaks with a 2nd at Belmont in the Astronomia Stakes which was an off the turf affair. It was a short field of 4 and an oddly run race. It was also perfect as a comeback race which set her up for a win at Saratoga on 7/20 in the My Princess Jess Stakes.

She was a Slew Key Horse that day as well and rewarded her backers with a $14.60 payoff. She was then scratched on 8/10 from the 100K Auntie Mame Stakes and now takes on a short field and a few nice fillies in Tapicat and Wahatsdachances (Ire). She can run but will be tested with a bit of extra distance, and some classy competition. Watch the odds.

Margano has had a few successful outings of late including a win in the Eight Thirty Stakes at Delaware Park on 7/8. Unfortunately, that was only a 3 horse field. His prior race was an allowance win at Pimlico. Yours truly left him off the Key Horse list that day and of course, he won and paid $11.80. He is not being left off today.

A quick note about the kind of list we saw for the Saturday races and also what we see for today (Sunday). When I see large listings such as we had on Saturday, I go to plan 'B'. I look for horses at long prices that are large overlays to their ML. I also look for doubles that will pay at least $40, and finally restrict some of my use of Slew to double entries or top horses with certain profiles.

Saturday was a great example because other than having Big Blue Kitten to win (I tried to play into him with a pick 3 but failed), my day was made with I O Ireland in the Arlington 11th who was 8-1 on the ML but went off at 22-1 with Eddie Castro in the irons. And while Indy Point appeared to struggle greatly under Stevens and barely finished the Million...burning my money in the process, the $60 double of Marchman & Discreet Marq at Del Mar eased the pain...to say the least. Discreet Marq being a double entry and the focal point of that double play. And while the first two Slew horses at Del Mar won (Ginger Tap & Hard Buns), at $5.00 each there was little point. Not on a day with so many other choices.

I point this out because I realize that I have not provided a whole lot of guidance in using Slew, but would rather have you find your own way...as I did mine! And many of you have written me to tell me that you have. But a large list can look a bit daunting, especially to new users, until you decide on a strategy that fits you and your style of play. Seeking out those opportunities that suit you is the key. And the examples I cited above...not to mention my fav: a hot Slew horse under a sure winner for a juicy exacta...should serve as a reminder of how to break down Slew to best advantage.

Or...find your own way!

Enjoy the Sunday racing...good luck and good 'capping!