PDA

View Full Version : Humboldt Fair/ferndale

wiffleball whizz
08-16-2013, 09:12 PM
The sad part is people in this country bet thier rent money, case $12, missed kids little league games, didn't take wife out to dinner to bet this place on this wonderful summer evening....

Through 6 races I got here for the 2nd and there has been a inquiry EVERY race....this is the bullring of bullrings!!!!!!!!!

I haven't bet yet but I'm betting the 7th :ThmbUp: :rolleyes:

wiffleball whizz
08-16-2013, 09:22 PM
Hit a win bet in the last race......

These jockeys got heart riding there....I cringe when they hit the turns there

precocity
08-16-2013, 11:03 PM
whizz never ever heard about those tracks, are what they are.

wiffleball whizz
08-16-2013, 11:14 PM
whizz never ever heard about those tracks, are what they are.

Nothing special 5 horse flat fields on a half mile track....might be easy pickings though I'll be looking tnrw.....I love half mile harness so maybe this a good track

Track Collector
08-17-2013, 01:19 AM
Ferndale is one of the few true speed-favoring tracks still around.

Their feature race of the entire meet is the Humboldt County Marathon, which I think has been renamed due to sponsorship. The race is 1 5/8 miles, which means that on a half-mile track the race ends with passing the finish line on the 4th time. Subject race had a purse of $10K when I visited in 1999, but now with sponsorship, I think this year it will be at $30K.

Ferndale is a nice little community, and I think they have zoning laws that prevent any chain businesses from opening up in the city limits. One will see lots of Victorian era houses, and one can still enjoy local mom and pop type restaurants and businesses.

Wiffleball whizz homework assignment --> Locate Ferndale on the map. (Hint: Find California, go near the Oregon boarder, then look towards the coast.). Back in 1999, I believe the population was somewhere around 1400.

Don't forget to bet on the mule races if you can. :)

I expect to make a return visit in the next 2-3 years so that my fellow track-collecting friend can add them to HIS list.

v j stauffer
08-17-2013, 01:58 AM
There have been many incarnations of the Humboldt County Marathon. A very coveted race by many California Horseman especially those from the North. This years edition will be run as the final race of the meeting on Sunday Aug. 25th.

The purse will be $30,000 ( no sponsorship ) with conditions of a wide open allowance race. Open to all comers.

Legend has it to keep track of how many remaining laps to race jockeys would put marbles in their mouth and spit one out each time they passed the finish line. When you'd lost all your marbles the race would be over :).

Ferndale is a wonderful, serene Victorian town that hasn't changed a bit in the 25 or more years I've been lucky enough to attend.

Passes to the races and first drink on me to anyone who makes it up. Very well worth the 5 hour drive from SF.

wiffleball whizz
08-17-2013, 02:07 AM
There have been many incarnations of the Humboldt County Marathon. A very coveted race by many California Horseman especially those from the North. This years edition will be run as the final race of the meeting on Sunday Aug. 25th.

The purse will be $30,000 ( no sponsorship ) with conditions of a wide open allowance race. Open to all comers.

Legend has it to keep track of how many remaining laps to race jockeys would put marbles in their mouth and spit one out each time they passed the finish line. When you'd lost all your marbles the race would be over :).

Ferndale is a wonderful, serene Victorian town that hasn't changed a bit in the 25 or more years I've been lucky enough to attend.

Passes to the races and first drink on me to anyone who makes it up. Very well worth the 5 hour drive from SF.

Vic are you calling the races?!?!?? Didn't have volume on that track today

v j stauffer
08-17-2013, 02:24 AM
Vic are you calling the races?!?!?? Didn't have volume on that track today

I'm a steward. Frank Mirahmadi is the announcer.

Back in the day I had the privilege of calling several running's of the Marathon.

Great big fun!!

Fingal
08-17-2013, 02:02 PM
Watching yesterday there must be a school or park that backs up to the starting gate since there was a youth Football practice going on behind them as the races were going on. :confused:
Ferndale & Humboldt County is a wonderful old time place- but besides the fair it's also know for something else, that of being the Marijuana capital of California.

Scanman
08-17-2013, 09:21 PM
I expect to make a return visit in the next 2-3 years so that my fellow track-collecting friend can add them to HIS list. .
It's on my schedule for next year. Here's the plan:

Santa Rosa - Last day of their meet.
Ferndale - First day of their meet.
Ely County Fair - on Sat or Sun

Hopefully you can make it.

BTW - all set to visit Desert Park and Elko County Fair over the Labor Day weekend.

Dan Montilion
08-17-2013, 09:48 PM
It's on my schedule for next year. Here's the plan:

Santa Rosa - Last day of their meet.
Ferndale - First day of their meet.
Ely County Fair - on Sat or Sun

Hopefully you can make it.

BTW - all set to visit Desert Park and Elko County Fair over the Labor Day weekend.
Been to White Pine County raceway in Ely. Never made it to Elko. Had a nice Elk hunt there many moons ago, when my now arthritic shoulder could pull a recurve bow. Have a good time. Love Eastern Nevada.

wiffleball whizz
08-17-2013, 10:12 PM
Sick human beings gentlemen :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll be meeting the messiah of track collecting in less then a week I can't wait

PoloUK6108
08-17-2013, 10:56 PM
Watching yesterday there must be a school or park that backs up to the starting gate since there was a youth Football practice going on behind them as the races were going on. :confused:
Ferndale & Humboldt County is a wonderful old time place- but besides the fair it's also know for something else, that of being the Marijuana capital of California.

sounds like i need to make it out there someday! :cool: ;)

Track Collector
08-18-2013, 12:57 AM
Sick human beings gentlemen :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll be meeting the messiah of track collecting in less then a week I can't wait

You are meeting up with Scanman??? (In case you did not know, he is now up to 312! with recent addition of Great Falls.). I'm down a few rungs on the podium. :)

wiffleball whizz
08-18-2013, 01:34 AM
You are meeting up with Scanman??? (In case you did not know, he is now up to 312! with recent addition of Great Falls.). I'm down a few rungs on the podium. :)

312 is unreal!!!! I'm jealous!!

v j stauffer
08-18-2013, 03:07 AM

Ferndale High School. Home of the "WILDCATS". They're a force to be reckoned with every year.

BlueShoe
08-18-2013, 11:08 AM
Have long wished to make it to Ferndale and to even tinier meets, somehow there is just something about these places that calls out. :) Not rare to see entrants racing at Ferndale that show pp's in the Form that raced at places so small that there are no Beyers computed, usually 2 or 3 day meets at county fairs in Oregon or Nevada, now thats my kind of place. :ThmbUp: After the blood and guts of the racing wars at the big leagues of racing, the low key casualness of these tiny out of way places that almost no one has ever heard of is attractive. There have been several earlier threads about Ferndale on PA going back several years for those wishing to do a search, it has been a somewhat popular topic each year at this time.

freehouse2002
08-18-2013, 11:15 PM
Any updates on Matt Garcia and Madison Shorefrom todays sixth? Looked pretty bad for the horse up the backstretch.

freehouse2002

v j stauffer
08-19-2013, 02:23 AM
Any updates on Matt Garcia and Madison Shorefrom todays sixth? Looked pretty bad for the horse up the backstretch.

freehouse2002

Madison Shore emerged with superficial bumps and scrapes. Matt Garcia was transported to a hospital in Fortuna Ca. He was alert and talkative complaining of pain in his left elbow.

v j stauffer
08-19-2013, 02:42 AM
Frank Mirahmadi ‏@FrankMirahmadi 3m (https://twitter.com/FrankMirahmadi/status/369347595534991361)

Matt Garcia transported from Fortuna to a bigger hospital for MRI and other tests. Ellis Davis of @humcofair (https://twitter.com/humcofair) will update everyone tomorrow

Scanman
08-19-2013, 08:57 PM
You are meeting up with Scanman??? (In case you did not know, he is now up to 312! with recent addition of Great Falls.). I'm down a few rungs on the podium. :)..Wiffle - You'll have a great time with TC at Timonium. A true gentleman and fine handicapper. I'm sure he'll have some great stories to share with you. Wish I could join you guys.

Have long wished to make it to Ferndale and to even tinier meets, somehow there is just something about these places that calls out. Not rare to see entrants racing at Ferndale that show pp's in the Form that raced at places so small that there are no Beyers computed, usually 2 or 3 day meets at county fairs in Oregon or Nevada, now thats my kind of place. After the blood and guts of the racing wars at the big leagues of racing, the low key casualness of these tiny out of way places that almost no one has ever heard of is attractive. There have been several earlier threads about Ferndale on PA going back several years for those wishing to do a search, it has been a somewhat popular topic each year at this time.Shoe - Absolutely. Salt of the earth people. Grassroots racings make for a great day out. After visiting all of the major tracks in the US, all I have left is the "fair/agricultural community" race meets. Initially, it would seem as if the would be an inconvenience, but I've really come to enjoy the intimate atmosphere of these tracks. The best part of traveling to these tracks is the awesome drives to the tracks. The scenery in our western states and Canada is incredible. It just adds a little something extra to the visit.

wisconsin
08-19-2013, 09:14 PM
Wiffle - You'll have a great time with TC at Timonium. A true gentleman and fine handicapper. I'm sure he'll have some great stories to share with you. Wish I could join you guys.

Shoe - Absolutely. Salt of the earth people. Grassroots racings make for a great day out. After visiting all of the major tracks in the US, all I have left is the "fair/agricultural community" race meets. Initially, it would seem as if the would be an inconvenience, but I've really come to enjoy the intimate atmosphere of these tracks. The best part of traveling to these tracks is the awesome drives to the tracks. The scenery in our western states and Canada is incredible. It just adds a little something extra to the visit.

Had a blast last weekend at Columbus, NE. Noisy and lively. Like going back in time. Been to tracks deader than a church on Tuesday. Looking forward to more fair style meets...

freehouse2002
08-20-2013, 01:08 AM
Madison Shore emerged with superficial bumps and scrapes. Matt Garcia was transported to a hospital in Fortuna Ca. He was alert and talkative complaining of pain in his left elbow.

Thanks for the update Vic. I saw on drf that Matt Garcia has a spinal fracture. Wishing him the best. As for the horse, glad to hear it escaped with only superficial cuts. I kept hearing the groans from the crowd during the replay and thought the horse might be seriously injured.

v j stauffer
08-20-2013, 03:07 AM
Thanks for the update Vic. I saw on drf that Matt Garcia has a spinal fracture. Wishing him the best. As for the horse, glad to hear it escaped with only superficial cuts. I kept hearing the groans from the crowd during the replay and thought the horse might be seriously injured.

The biggest groan was when a guy, who amazingly turned out to be the horses owner, tried to stop him and pretty much got schmushed. He was ok though. Feel bad for Matt. He was having so much fun.

Will be big opportunities for some of the other riders the 2nd week. Matt's out for the meet and Chris Russell suspended for the final two days. We'll see who steps up. Hugo Herrera, Barrington Harvey, Jesus Velasquez and Brittney Smith will all get their chance to shine.

proximity
08-20-2013, 03:48 AM
Ferndale High School. Home of the "WILDCATS". They're a force to be reckoned with every year.

could you get wiffleball whizz a line and total for their opening game?:D

wiffleball whizz
08-20-2013, 08:52 AM
could you get wiffleball whizz a line and total for their opening game?:D

8.5 48