PDA

View Full Version : Newspapers/magazines now TV stations obsolete?

DJofSD
08-16-2013, 12:59 PM
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-08-15/sony-said-to-win-rights-to-viacom-shows-for-tv-streaming-service.html

Sony Corp. (6758) reached a preliminary accord to stream cable television programming from Viacom Inc. (VIAB) over the Internet to TVs, game consoles and Blu-ray players, a person with knowledge of the matter said.

Another middleman's importance being reduced then eliminated.

Steve 'StatMan'
08-16-2013, 01:17 PM
I've been without TV since Dec 2009. I missed a couple sports events years ago, but am getting most of those successfully online now. I really don't miss it anymore, as long as I can get the Super Bowl online.

JustRalph
08-16-2013, 05:50 PM
Disruption happening everywhere...........

the Time Warner cable thing is scaring the hell out of many many TV execs

DJofSD
08-17-2013, 09:41 AM
JR, do you think it scares them enough they might reconsider a la carte?

Tom
08-17-2013, 09:51 AM
I'm dropping the majority of my TW today - crappy service and over-priced channel I do not want.

when you take a look at what is on these days, the should be paying US to watch.

Anyone watching the latest brain-dead offering, Tickle?

Why can't they all be like Amish Mafia?

LottaKash
08-17-2013, 10:33 AM
Why can't they all be like Amish Mafia?

What, no "Here comes Honey Boo Boo ?....:D

JustRalph
08-17-2013, 04:09 PM

Lots of talk about that. But I think they ate just going to move the same old shit to different providers who will eventually make us pay for package deals......by teasing us with better rates.......

Sorry about typos. On the road connecting thru desktop back home. Most wifi networks won't let you on PA because its a "gambling site"

incoming
08-17-2013, 04:36 PM
Aereo Co. is testing this concept in Boston, New York and Atlanta. They give you a free month for testing. I think the cost is $12 a month. The legal process has started and they have won all legal battles, so far.

https://aereo.com/

Tom
08-17-2013, 04:46 PM
I was happy with rabbit ears in the attic.
Nowhere near the problems with cable and dish.

Longshot6977
08-20-2013, 05:31 PM
RIP to Speed Channel! As of Aug 17, it has now become the crappiest, unneeded and worthless channel--Fox Sports 1. Like we don't have enough of this already on so many other channels. No more motorsports channel in the USA like we had in the past 18 years. Now we have little league baseball, european soccer and mexican soccer, UFC and sports talk shows. No more jetboats, monster trucks, Pass time, Gearz, Two Guys garage, Classic Cars etc etc. Huge disppointment in Fox to drop the only popular motorsports channel in the USA-- Speed Channel. RIP.:(

wisconsin
08-20-2013, 06:14 PM
There is very little that I watch outside of sports or TVG. CBS has great shows that I watch for one hour and then news:

The Mentalist or Walking Dead when that's on AMC same time slot.
CSI
Under The Dome
Person of Interest
Sherlock Holmes

Once in a while, I watch Leno after the news, and that's about it anymore.

Rookies
08-21-2013, 08:31 AM
I find there is a small renaissance in niche market TV going on. Perhaps it's my time of life, but I cannot get enough of these dramas from the dark side.

Staring with perhaps, The Wire (which I watched all four 4 years at one standing during a Christmas period), I'm into Breaking Bad, Walking Dead, Mad Men, Hell on Wheels, The Killing and now The Bridge. There are several I've missed no doubt.

When I have a chance, I catch a few Modern Families as well- very funny!

I watch FOX News Sunday, ABC & CNN Sunday morning, plus the Pol show on CBS but not much else, other than Sports. No more additional time with the Net.

Robert Goren
08-21-2013, 09:21 AM
I find there is a small renaissance in niche market TV going on. Perhaps it's my time of life, but I cannot get enough of these dramas from the dark side.

Staring with perhaps, The Wire (which I watched all four 4 years at one standing during a Christmas period), I'm into Breaking Bad, Walking Dead, Mad Men, Hell on Wheels, The Killing and now The Bridge. There are several I've missed no doubt.

When I have a chance, I catch a few Modern Families as well- very funny!

I watch FOX News Sunday, ABC & CNN Sunday morning, plus the Pol show on CBS but not much else, other than Sports. No more additional time with the Net.You had me until you mentioned "The Bridge". It is really pretty bad. Also the second season of "The Killing" will bore you to near death although the first and third seasons pretty decent. Some of the PBS stuff (but not all) imported from England is pretty good especially "Foyle's War". Most American TV dramas (including Criminal Intent) are spotty depending on who wrote the episode. Surprisingly "Unforgettable" is lot better as summer replacement than it was as a regular series. I am currently hooked on "The Dome" and "Motive".

Tom
08-21-2013, 09:41 AM
I watched the first Dome and thought it would be another LOST so I stopped.
I use that time slot to watch my taped Ice Road Truckers.

johnhannibalsmith
08-21-2013, 10:30 AM
...and "Motive".

Worst acting in any television program award. I actually like the idea, but the main characters... especially the one who I think is the former Mrs. Jim Carrey and her partner are soooooo poorly written and stilted, that I just can't watch it anymore.

badcompany
08-21-2013, 10:38 AM

You still need an Internet provider. So, they're not completely obsolete. It's the concept of a channel that's going bye bye. A content provider like the NFL can just hire its own broadcast crew, and show the games from their app. No CBS needed.

JustRalph
08-21-2013, 10:44 AM
You still need an Internet provider. So, they're not completely obsolete. It's the concept of a channel that's going bye bye. A content provider like the NFL can just hire its own broadcast crew, and show the games from their app. No CBS needed.

The cable companies are worried about a new technology that provides wireless signals 5 times faster than now, and with a range 25 times as far.

Two companies say they are testing it secretly right now. If they go forward and it works.........you won't' need your cable company for anything..........

DJofSD
08-21-2013, 10:45 AM
The thread was about local TV stations not the cable companies. Local TV stations do not provide broadband services. They're just affiliates of the networks with the only added value is local news and weather.