PDA

View Full Version : Saratoga: Friday, August 16

Teach
08-16-2013, 11:40 AM
Race One:

:3: Poppy’s Watching dueled with Gentle Jim in their last encounter only to have Asset Inflation sweep by them both in deep stretch on the first weekend of the Saratoga meet. The Storm Cat-bred gelding moves in from the extreme outside to the three-slot; this may help this Rahy-bred’s chances. Jockey Irad Ortiz, Jr. will need to be careful not to get hooked up in another speed duel with the aforementioned Gentle Jim. Jeremiah Englehart trains.

Others that should be there: #1 Gentle Jim, #6 Hengroen, #4 Slimshady

Race Two:

:2:/:2b: : Artemis Agrotera has had a steady, solid morning work-tab in preparation for her maiden-special New York state-bred sprint debut. This NY state-bred filly's coming-out party should be interesting as is the case for nearly all the debutants. Artemis Agrotera comes from solid equine stock. Her blue-bloodied genealogy includes Roman Ruler, Fusaichi Pegasus and A.P. Indy. The distaff’s trainer, Mike Hushion, is particularly good with horses running in maiden-specials. One of the meet’s leading riders, Joel Rosario, is in the irons. The other half of the entry, #2B Star Grazing, is no slouch, either. In fact, she’s equally, if not more impressive than her entry-mate. Star Grazing recently “drilled” four panels in 47.2, breezing from the gate. “Jimmy” Jerkens trains this daughter of Sky Mesa. The filly’s dam, Unbridled Star, had four winners from five starters.

Others that should be there: #4 Don’t Blame Her; #1A Livininthefastlane; #5 Alwaysinstilettos

Race Three:

:4: Dayatthespa came up just short as the beaten favorite in her last effort, the Grade III Eatontown, at Monmouth in late June. The 4-year-old City Zip-bred filly should be on or near the lead. The Chad Brown-trained entrant has seven wins and two seconds in eleven tries on the lawn. Class-wise, this chestnut filly stands out like a diamond-studded tiara at a flea market; she's signaled she’s ready with a sharp recent work. One of the meet’s leading riders, Javier Castellano is in the irons.

Others That Should Be There: #2 Wholelottashakin; #1 Shakeira; #3 Inimitable Romanee

Race Four:

:7: Laguna Girl gets my nod in this maiden-special sprint. The daughter of Henny Hughes finished second in her last at Belmont in mid-July; she narrowly lost to Merry Meadow. Prior to that, the filly was second again in late May in the same company. In fact, the Hennessy-bred filly has been a bridesmaid in four of her five tries. Today could be the day that she gets to throw the garter. El Dominicano, Joel Rosario, retains the ride for trainer Joe Orseno.

Others That Should Be There: #3 Mahna; #6 Fevered Kiss; #5 Royalty

Race Five:

:7: True Courage, the Danzig-bred filly, makes her second start (her first one was in late December in Hallandale) on the lawn. In fact,iIn that first effort, the then 2-year-old was caught three-wide; she had no final kick. Now, seven months later at “The Spa,” the now 3 year-old Yes It's True-bred seeks to redeem herself from her earlier beaten-fave disappointment. The filly’s trainer, Chad Brown, is very good with horses who’ve been away from the racetrack three months or more. Javier Castellano draws the riding assignment.

Others That Should Be There: #3 Sweet Potato; #2 Aireofdistinction; #6 Cool Flame

Race Six:

:2: Brigand gets my nod in this 7-furlong optional claimer. The A.P. Indy-bred colt was last seen on the racetrack in the Grade I Carter Handicap at Aqueduct. In that one, the colt vied early but faded to last. Prior to that, he finished second in the Grade III General George H. at Laurel; however, he was placed fifth through disqualification. The 4 year-old has been away from the races for over four months, but his morning works have been solid. The horse is trained by Bob Baffert and will be ridden by Joel Rosario.

Others That Should Be There: #4 Souper Speedy; #7 Saturday’s Charm; #5 Private Tale

Race Seven:

:2: Coriander drops into the selling ranks after five failed maiden-special tries to break her maiden. The softer company, the cut-back in distance, the riding skills of the most capable Jose Lezcano and trainer Tom Bush should combine to bring this filly her first win. In addition, this is this Pulpit-bred's third start off a layoff. Trainer Bush is very good with horses going from maiden to maiden-claiming races.

Others That Should Be There: #6 Allie Sweet; #5 Daddy’s Big Girl #8 Love Is Key Kaz

Race Eight:

:5: Quiet Ending is my pick in this optional claiming turf sprint. This 4 year-old daughter of Langfuhr won her last at seven furlongs in late June at Belmont. Although she is shortening up a panel and one-half, I see no reason why this Danzig-bred can’t make it two-straight. This filly has hit the tote in seven straight races; she’s hit the board in none out of eleven grass starts. Jose Lezcano rides for Christophe Clement.

Others That Should Be There: #4 Kiss Me Lola; #7 Spun Silky; #6 Strategic Missile

Race Nine:

:3: Zetterholm is back running with state-breds; a group with whom this horse, in the past, has had much success: three firsts and a second in four tries. Yes, this Old Trieste-bred gelding was quite likely ambitiously entered against some of the best horses in the country, first in the Preakness and later in The Dwyer; he finished fourth in both. Now, it’s summertime - “and the livin’ is easy“ (I couldn’t resist), and so too is the competition this horse is facing in this state-bred Saratoga Sunrise Stakes. Junior Alvarado retains the riding assignment for trainer Michelle Nevin.

Others That Should Be There: #6 Groomedforvictory; #7 Awesome Vision; #4 Bigger is Bettor

Race Ten:

:5: Synthesizer gets my nod in the finale. The Fappiano-bred colt is back on the lawn after competing in two races that were taken off the turf. The last time the lightly-raced colt ran on the grass - he won. Last year. At Saratoga in allowance company. The horse has hit the tote in three of six lifetime turf tries. Luis Saez rides for Jim Bond.

Others That Should Be There: #1 Awakino Cat; #8 Luigi

The Spaniard
08-16-2013, 03:02 PM
R5: By crack turf sprinter Oasis Dream, full sixter of a three times turf sprint winner, :5: CAVETTO has improved lately in the morning

July 1: 1.03.1 B
July 22: 1.00.3 B

she's got some upset potential for a good first start/ turf sprint trainer

1st ($20.20)

turninforhome10
08-16-2013, 03:37 PM
Sar Race 6

1 ex 2-4-6/2-3-4-6 9 dollars
Return 4-3 44.50

turninforhome10
08-16-2013, 04:10 PM
Sar Race 7
1 ex 3-6-7/-2-3-6-7 9 dollars
Return 6-3 23.40

The Spaniard
08-16-2013, 04:40 PM
R8: :4: KISS ME LOLA is a half sixter of Ashland (gr.1) winner Sis City. Her mother is a half sixter of triple graded stakes winner Swamp. This filly's got lots of speed, and turf and stamina to spare (by Shakespeare 12F-T). Last time she went up with a devilish pace (21.1 > 44.00) and opened 3 lenghts entering the stretch. She looks classy enough to win again first time against winners.

2nd